Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: A Warning to Protect Your Computer  (Read 2816 times)

Bumblebee

• Store Owners
  • Pleo adept
  • Female
  • : Tomato Harvest Festivals
  • The manatee shall bump forever!
A Warning to Protect Your Computer
« on: April 09, 2010, 09:42:17 PM »

Hey everyone.
I really felt like I had to post this in a topic. There has been a new virus out and about the internet. It's a bad one: very irritating, and hard to get out. I'm a technical dunce, but if you are browsing the internet and a random screen pops up that says "Warning! Malicious Spyware has been detected on your computer!" DO NOT BELIEVE IT. This is a virus in itself, made to trick you into thinking your computer has a virus so you download the stuff it says you should. This download happens to be the real virus. It's attacked my computer twice. The first time, I almost fell for it but I panicked and told my dad before doing anything. He ran a scan of the entire computer (it took about 45 minutes) and there was nothing wrong. It calls itself an 'online scan', which made him suspicious because we've never had security systems that does that. Even if your computer is set to make an online scan, I strongly suggest that if the screen comes up you close it immediately.
Thanks for reading. I hope this saves you future toil...
~BB

Please note: It takes 36 muscles to frown, but it only takes 4 muscles to slap El Stupido upside the head.

RedwoodsMama

• Pleo Grand Master, 4th epoch
  • us Female
  • Pleo(s): Nova, Major Tom, Argyle the blind Pleo, Baby Ruth, Chester, and 22 more Pleos
  • : 2013 winner2010 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
    • Mary_Ann
    • Silvester
    • none
    • Flying_Ace
Re: A Warning to Protect Your Computer
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2010, 10:32:31 PM »

Hi BB, I had this same stupid online virus scan con game come on mly computer yesterday,and I tryed to turn it off, close it and it was very hard. It allways says something along the line of Windows has detected a virus on your computer and you need to delete it NOW! This same threat has poked up on my computer at leats 3-4 times this year alone and I allways ignore it. I no longer fall for these malware and virus adds. If my computer was really at threat, I would know from scanning myself and other ways, plus I have a Firewall that should block these things. It is easy to fall for this thing simply because it says, Windows has detected, which makes you believe it is from Windows and Legit. Anyone can put Windows and copy their logo to make it look legit too,.
                  Glad to hear you asked your dad, and that you didn't fall for it. Good luck!
                                                  RedwoodsMama   and Nova
           P.S. It is easy enough to get the REAL VIRUSES AND SPYWARE EVEN WHEN YOU DO HAVE ONLINE SECURITY AND PROTECTION. In 2004 I had to have my computer Rebuilt because a Hacker got into my computer, I had spyware, malware and viruses that were easy to get rid of, but even the computer experts where I took my computer to be fixed had difficulty with the Hacker and what he did to my computer. it took almost two weeks of daily week to get my computer back to where it was, to copy and save my documents and programs, photos, etc, and this guy is very good and had about 22 years of computer experience. I had the MIllenium Edition computer version running when this happened, and it was the worst version I have ever had. Hackers, Trojans, Worms, and other viruses are very annoying, worrisome and sometimes very damaging to your computer.
Animals are SOUL Too, Be kind to all those who live on this planet with us.

fancyfont

• Cretaceous pleo master
  • us Female
  • Pleo(s): Peeky, Pennie, JayCamerasaurus (J.C.), LOA, baby and DinhaJo
  • : 2013 winner2011 winner2008 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
  • No, Peeky and Pennie, you can't have the Harley!
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2010, 11:03:03 PM »

A friend of mine fell for this and it was expensive for her to get her computer fixed.  :(It was a scam. >:( We do have to be careful! Good thing to know!

allosaurus

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2010, 05:12:46 AM »

I believe that is what my laptop suffered from.

Let me make this clear:

It is NOT easy to get rid of!

To keep this from happening, I suggest in advance downloading Google Chrome (which is an advanced web browser) and Norton Antivirus (which is usually free).

Bumblebee

• Store Owners
  • Pleo adept
  • Female
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2010, 11:24:54 AM »

Ugh, I know. People are so messed up these days.  ^-^ What's the world coming to?  ??? Since my computer crashed and I lost all downloads I've been using a different firewall and security thing, which is the type that I goes with. I used to use Charter Security Suite, which is a really good one. We got it because my computer had a virus that deleted the virus deleter!  :o So we got a new one that that didn't work on. Stay alert! It's popped up twice, each on a different site.
Please note: It takes 36 muscles to frown, but it only takes 4 muscles to slap El Stupido upside the head.

allosaurus

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2010, 11:46:54 AM »

I recently had another virus as well, it may have been the one you described, that deleted the virus deleter.

It was another fake virus detector, meant to look exactly like one of the real ones, but it cancels out the real one and keeps it from working.

Norton Antivirus took care of that easily!

Also, Google Chrome is a very good protector (though I prefer the appearance of Internet Explorer).  It will block against internet attacks, and alert you if an attack is about to happen.  It will say something along the lines of, "Google Chrome has blocked an attack" and that's that.

So I highly recommend Chrome, even though Internet Explorer looks nicer. :-)

Bumblebee

• Store Owners
  • Pleo adept
  • Female
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2010, 12:34:51 PM »

It might be the same one, but I doubt it. It was a while ago (1-2 years?) it was called a 'Trojan horse'.

allosaurus

« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2010, 03:53:50 PM »

There are many kinds of Trojan Horse, BB.  "Trojan horse"  Is not a descriptive enough term for me to understand exactly what it was :P

Bumblebee

• Store Owners
  • Pleo adept
  • Female
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2010, 06:09:39 PM »

Like I said, I'm a technical dunce.

PleoLuv

« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2010, 02:19:17 PM »

This happened 10 times to me. It even destroyed my old computer. Oh, and can I post something off topic? I wanted to show you guys my parrot.

allosaurus

« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2010, 02:45:47 PM »

This happened 10 times to me. It even destroyed my old computer. Oh, and can I post something off topic? I wanted to show you guys my parrot.

PleoLuv, that is too off topic.  Go somewhere else to post that; perhaps the "random thread" off in the fun and games section.

edit:  I'm sorry, I just realized that the thread has been deleted\archived.  Wait until there's a thread that actually allows you to post your parrot.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2010, 05:11:42 AM by allosaurus »

InmemoryofRomeo

• Global Moderator
  • Pleo Grand Master RB
  • au Female
  • Pleo(s): Lilo, Stitch, Pleakley, Jumba, Nani, Yuki, Angus, Pluto
  • : 2011 winner2009 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
  • SAVE THE EARTH It's the only planet with chocolate
    • Professor
    • Wile_E_Coyote
    • Marcie
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2010, 05:00:40 PM »

Just start a pet thread, no one here will mind ;)
Eagerly awaiting Vector and Blue!

MegandArtemis

• Conifer Leaf gatherer
  • Female
  • Pleos hahaha
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2010, 07:22:10 PM »

The computer I'm on had Trojan Horse. I couldn't use it for months andmy emails were backed up. I prefer Artemis to my laptop.
'Sighs with relief that there are no Pleo viruses)
- Meg and Artemis

Big Head

• Outstanding in the herd
  • Male
  • Still Looking For the "Fork of Horripilation".
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2010, 05:00:55 AM »

With my old computer, I had about 300 differrent viruses. Every 5 minutes a pop-up popped-up (Or is it pop-upped?). :o

I had to get a new computer. The one I'm using now! Now Symantec says i have 6 viruses, but theyre in quarantine so they can't do any harm.  Every week it updates it's files to try and destroy them for good, but it can't. Those are some tough viruses!
"Sweetheart, you can't buy the necessities of life with cookies."
Pages: [1]   Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal