Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: 2010 Tomato Harvest Festival  (Read 24174 times)

Bob_the_Pleo

• Knight of the Order of Pizza
  • Head of the herd
  • we Male
  • : Tomato Harvest Festivals
  • Huh?!?
    • Gilligan
    • Bugs_Bunny
    • Charlie_Brown
    • Bob the Pleo
2010 Tomato Harvest Festival
« on: March 09, 2010, 08:04:41 PM »

Since the beginning of recorded history (about three years ago), the fields around Weedovia have always been blessed with abundant wild tomato vines.  And every spring and every fall, the local pleos relied on the abundant harvest gathered from these wild vines to enjoy throughout the year.  They would go out twice a year to pick the tomatoes and bring them into the village.  This traditional gathering of the tomatoes quickly grew into a community event, and from there into true full-blown harvest festival.  And with the introduction of the spaghetti trees and pizza by the great Pepperoni, a real zest was added to the festivities.

Of course in modern times, with the addition of a carnival, rides, games, live band, and midnight movie on the town square, it has become more of a social event, attracting pleos from around the world.  But all the pleos still go out and harvest the tomatoes and bring them to the town's communal tomato press for the traditional squashing of the tomatoes and the making of the tomato sauce.

Not sure what's going on?  Well, then you may want to catch up by reading about the spring and fall festivals in the Bob the Pleo comic strips.  But as a quick summary,  the town's park is turn into the festival grounds, with the carnival rides and games, a stage and dance floor, and lots of vendors and food booths!  It starts on a Friday night with the carnival and music from a live band, and at midnight the pleos end the day with an outdoor movie.  Saturday has everyone out in the fields gathering the tomatoes, with the judging in the evening, and back to the carnival.  Sunday is the big tomato squashing where the sauce is made using the traditional foot-stomping method like the great Italian wines.

And at the conclusion of the festival, awards are always handed out to the pleo who gathers the most tomatoes, finds the largest tomato, has the best looking tomatoes, makes the best tasting spaghetti sauce, and for the best use of tomatoes as an article of clothing (i.e., costume).  The last few years winners can be seen by visiting the Bob the Pleo comics.  We had some great fun, and some wonderful costumes!

For those interested in participating in the contests, please refer to the contest rules topic on this board.   For some ideas and/or to get a better understanding, you can check out the 2009 Spring festival topic or the 2009 Fall festival topic (also on this board).  You can also read up on the Bob the Pleo comic strip! ;)

2010 Spring Tomato Harvest Festival

This year's festival runs Friday April 2nd to Sunday April 4th, 2010 . . .  And if you keep up with the comic strip, it looks like Bob is in charge this time!  :o

Post your entries here!
« Last Edit: March 17, 2012, 10:22:30 PM by mweed »

InmemoryofRomeo

• Global Moderator
  • Pleo Grand Master RB
  • au Female
  • Pleo(s): Lilo, Stitch, Pleakley, Jumba, Nani, Yuki, Angus, Pluto
  • : 2011 winner2009 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
  • SAVE THE EARTH It's the only planet with chocolate
    • Professor
    • Wile_E_Coyote
    • Marcie
Re: 2010 Spring Tomato Harvest Festival
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2010, 03:59:53 AM »

Why does this always happen just after or just before our tomato season ;) *adds tomatoes to shopping list*
Eagerly awaiting Vector and Blue!

Bumblebee

• Store Owners
  • Pleo adept
  • Female
  • The manatee shall bump forever!
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2010, 09:02:18 PM »

Awesome! This year'll be the first when I enter a Tomato Harvest Festival Contest!
*Juno and Triton start surveying closets for dance clothes*
Please note: It takes 36 muscles to frown, but it only takes 4 muscles to slap El Stupido upside the head.

InmemoryofRomeo

• Global Moderator
  • Pleo Grand Master RB
  • au Female
    • Professor
    • Wile_E_Coyote
    • Marcie
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2010, 03:07:47 AM »

Note to self: POST PHOTOS!!! I took some days ago :P Gotta recharge my camera though :P

RedwoodsMama

• Pleo Grand Master, 4th epoch
  • us Female
  • Pleo(s): Nova, Major Tom, Argyle the blind Pleo, Baby Ruth, Chester, and 22 more Pleos
  • : 2013 winner2010 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
    • Mary_Ann
    • Silvester
    • none
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2010, 02:22:09 PM »

Hey, this sounds like so much fun and I know there will be lots of entries! Nova and I can't wait to go stompin through the Redwoods in search of tomatoes and tomatoe patches, we have a co-op garden here and I am sure there are lots of tomatoes. It is a little early this year for us to plant our own tomatoes to enter in the contest, so we will have to search for someone elses's garden.( shh. dont let our neighbors know, they wouldn't want a Pleo tracking through their garden I think... :o) We can't wait! I just put a new SD card in my camera, so I am ready!
                                                            RedwoodsMama   and Nova, ( this will be our first time too!)
Animals are SOUL Too, Be kind to all those who live on this planet with us.

InmemoryofRomeo

• Global Moderator
  • Pleo Grand Master RB
  • au Female
    • Professor
    • Wile_E_Coyote
    • Marcie
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2010, 07:16:04 PM »

I remembered :P

Lilo and Stitch enjoy an Aussie style tomato 'sanger' with tomato, ham, lettuce, cheese, carrot and of course beetroot! Oh and mayo, can't forget the mayo :)

Bumblebee

• Store Owners
  • Pleo adept
  • Female
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2010, 09:19:04 PM »

Nice pic, IMR :) I got a photo for the biggest tomato competition  ;D I can't wait to post it on festival weekend!  :)
Please note: It takes 36 muscles to frown, but it only takes 4 muscles to slap El Stupido upside the head.

snowy

• Fossil savant
  • Female
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2010, 01:35:53 PM »

Munchkin wants to join in the fun too  :)  Don't think we have any tomatoes here by the creek either lol.

Bumblebee

• Store Owners
  • Pleo adept
  • Female
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2010, 01:56:10 PM »

I had that issue too Snowy. The Tomato harvest Festivals are in the spring and Fall, and we get our whopper tomatoes right in between! They're huge. But we couldn't find any half as big at the store!  :o Still found a pretty big one tho :)

Pleo Power

• Pleosmith
  • 00 Male
  • Pleo(s): Cammey, Cloey, Copper
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2010, 02:12:47 PM »

Here's my entry in the best looking tomato category. :)

snowy

• Fossil savant
  • Female
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2010, 03:22:24 PM »

i'm glad it's not just me bumblebee, i don't think our tomatoes will be ready for at least a few months. how do you get to weedovia? same way as narnia, through the wardrobe? i may need to borrow some  :D

i love your piccy pleo power. what is your 3rd pleo called? i only see two pleo names?  :)

mweed

• Grand Poobah
  • Triassic pleo master
  • us Male
  • Pleo(s): Bob, Mopey
  • : Tomat Harvest Festivals
    • Professor
    • Wile_E_Coyote
    • Dr_Bunsen_Honeydew
    • Snoopy
    • Bob the Pleo
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2010, 08:16:01 PM »

The festivalis only a week away!  we need to get pictures posted and entries in!

Bumblebee

• Store Owners
  • Pleo adept
  • Female
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2010, 08:21:04 PM »

Will do.....

Here's my entry for the biggest tomato  ;D

And the one for the best-looking Tomato :) It really is a different tomato than the first one...

mweed

• Grand Poobah
  • Triassic pleo master
  • us Male
    • Professor
    • Wile_E_Coyote
    • Dr_Bunsen_Honeydew
    • Snoopy
    • Bob the Pleo
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2010, 09:54:17 PM »

b blue eyes

• Pleo visionary
  • Female
  • ACCOUNT DELETED
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2010, 02:01:52 PM »

ONE WEEK AWAY !   Yikes, I feel like the mad hatter in Alice in Wonderland but I am BBE in Weedovia ^-^

How could this have happened, how did this sneak up on me, where is my brain (probably checking out all the concession booths with all that food)   ;D

Angel and Dinomite will both be attending of course.  They love playing in the band and this year have vowed to dance the night away.

Now that I know that the  "tomato stomping" is limited to Pleos and does not allow humans to stomp the tomatoes in the vat, my mind and feet can rest a lot better. 

I still say the petting zoo will be missed and we must remember no one was eaten by any of the members in the petting zoo so maybe next festival we can bring it back.

Got to go hurry and get the "kids" outfits ready for the festival.  Hope everybody joins in for the fun.

RedwoodsMama

• us Female
  • Pleo(s): Nova, Major Tom, Argyle the blind Pleo, Baby Ruth, Chester, and 22 more Pleos
    • Mary_Ann
    • Silvester
    • none
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2010, 04:40:39 PM »

GEESH, give the poor guy a break! Tomatoe soup that expired one day ago.....cmon, be serious. Gunther is hungry, and I have things that are in my fridge that I can't even identify.... :oOh, did I tell you about the WW2 canned surplus that I have packed away for an emergency? My mom gave it to me back in the 1970s, and I have been waiting for a "special occasion", to dish it out. Maybe, just maybe, Gunther can have that since he is so hungry.( that wouldn;'t be animal abuse would it?) I mean after all, it is not a one day old can of tomatoe soup! Go figure.... :-\

RedwoodsMama     and " sometimes limping",  Nova

fancyfont

• Cretaceous pleo master
  • us Female
  • Pleo(s): Peeky, Pennie, JayCamerasaurus (J.C.), LOA, baby and DinhaJo
  • : 2013 winner2011 winner2008 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
  • No, Peeky and Pennie, you can't have the Harley!
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2010, 05:28:53 PM »

One week away??? Oh my goodness!!! Better get crackin or stomping! ;D Peeky, J.C, Pennie, Little Orphan Annie, Get busy practicing for the Fernback band.  I think these dinos may be a little rusty! :-[

Bumblebee

• Store Owners
  • Pleo adept
  • Female
« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2010, 06:33:36 PM »

I hear IMR is coming out with a fancy gown in her Weedovia mall shop...I wonder if it'll be ready in time to be used for the festival? ;)

Bumblebee

• Store Owners
  • Pleo adept
  • Female
« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2010, 05:58:14 PM »

Okay...here's another 'best looking tomato competition' picture :)

RedwoodsMama

• us Female
    • Mary_Ann
    • Silvester
    • none
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2010, 02:50:02 PM »

OK, it is not the Ultimate Tomatoe Harvest time here in the beautiful Redwoods, but Nova insisted that we go out yesterday, in the pouring rain and find some tomatoes so we could get our entries in time for the festival, and so I , YES, I ( NOT NOVA) COULD MAKE SOME YUMMY SPECIAL PLEO SECRET TOMATOE SAUCE.( THAT IS ANOTHER ENTRY) Here are two entries for the Most Tomatoes Gathered, Nova couldn't decide which Photo or group of tomatoes she liked the best. She wanted to test them all, :o( which meant eating samples....) which I told her was NOT ALLOWED! So here are the two photos,
        For Most Tomatoes Gathered.

RedwoodsMama   and ( sometimes limping) Nova
« Last Edit: March 30, 2010, 03:24:29 PM by grouchy »

Crewella

• Pleo Grand Master RB
  • gb Female
  • Pleo(s): Iggy, Budge, Moschops, Monty, Emmy. Belle, Zillah, Tribble
  • : 2010 winnerTomat Harvest Festivals
    • Ginger
    • Pepe_Le_Pew
    • Animal
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2010, 03:48:44 AM »

This is my first attempt at posting pics, so please forgive a newbie if it looks a bit rough or goes wrong!

Iggy's a rehomed Pleo, and he came from the city so he's a very modern dinosaur ......... if such a thing can exist .......  so when I first told him about gathering tomatoes for the Festival, it took a bit of explaining.

As did the smushing.

But we did get there in the end, and even managed to find some Pleo sized tomatoes.

Which may....

have been......

a mistake .....

So - we only managed one entry for the competition, in the tomatoes as costume section:

Though Iggy's convinced it's all about him, and that he IS the best looking tomato!

mweed

• Grand Poobah
  • Triassic pleo master
  • us Male
    • Professor
    • Wile_E_Coyote
    • Dr_Bunsen_Honeydew
    • Snoopy
    • Bob the Pleo
« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2010, 10:44:14 AM »

The festival begins tonight!

So you're running out of time... get your entries in!!!

Bumblebee

• Store Owners
  • Pleo adept
  • Female
« Reply #22 on: April 02, 2010, 11:31:47 AM »

We brought some sweets for the festival! These ones were made in Grumpy's honor...

Pleo Power

• Pleosmith
  • 00 Male
  • Pleo(s): Cammey, Cloey, Copper
« Reply #23 on: April 02, 2010, 02:55:56 PM »

The festival begins tonight!

but only three of the fernbacks showed up for it! unless they are still on their way to the fairgrounds...
but, here's the three that did! ((so far))

((oh and which killer tomato movie is showing?))

and what time does the festival start?
« Last Edit: April 02, 2010, 03:54:43 PM by Pleo Power »

RedwoodsMama

• us Female
    • Mary_Ann
    • Silvester
    • none
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #24 on: April 02, 2010, 04:32:01 PM »

Hi, I am finishing Nova's entry for Best Tomatoe Costume. Does she still have tine to get it in if done in next 5-6 hrs?( about 8:00 p.m. PST ?)
 She would be very upset if I didn't get her entered1 :-[ :-[It is a home-made costume, and requires lots of handwork, which takes longer for my poor
arthritic hands.( her fault for making me do all her computer work! %)) We are looking forward to our first fair!

RedwoodsMama   and Nova
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal