Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: My Pleo Life OS software version.  (Read 5544 times)

FinalBillybong

My Pleo Life OS software version.
« on: February 09, 2010, 01:49:37 PM »

I have just discoverd Pleo. What a wonderful creation. I'm looking forward to many happy hours tinkering with Pleo and Littlefoot (My partners Pleo).

I have a couple of questions about Life OS. Does the lastest version of Life OS come preinstalled or are Pleo's shipped with 1.0 and expected to be upgraded from there?
How can I tell which version of Life OS is installed on my Pleo's?
Can I upgrade straight from 1.0 to 1.1 or do I need to update to 1.0.2 first?

Lastly, I have Windows 7 and have tried to install the USB updater with no success. Is the SD card method as good (read: reliable) as the USB method?

Thanks in advance guys! :-)
« Last Edit: February 09, 2010, 01:51:27 PM by FinalBillybong »

InmemoryofRomeo

• Global Moderator
  • Pleo Grand Master RB
  • au Female
  • Pleo(s): Lilo, Stitch, Pleakley, Jumba, Nani, Yuki, Angus, Pluto
  • : 2011 winner2009 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
  • SAVE THE EARTH It's the only planet with chocolate
    • Professor
    • Wile_E_Coyote
    • Marcie
Re: My Pleo Life OS software version.
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2010, 03:19:46 PM »

All new Pleo's should come with the latest os :) And the USB updater works fine on my windows 7 machine (both of them) so perhaps try reinstalling it???
Eagerly awaiting Vector and Blue!

FinalBillybong

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2010, 04:11:36 PM »

Thanks for the quick response. The two Pleo's came from eBay so I think they have been sat for a while. The batterys required lots of cycles before they reached 'normal' operating times.

Is there a way to tell which OS is installed?

Where should the USB updater be installed to?

I have checked all the usual places but there is no evidence of the updater on my PC. I got the insatllation from pleoworld.com

degers

• Administrator
  • Pleo adept
  • gb Male
  • Degers can't be choosers
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2010, 05:20:34 PM »

There is a problem with the USB updater and XP.  This is because the MSI installer is built wrong and there is a bad line in the database meaning that if you are running XP SP3 it will not open the installer.
If I get time and if somebody nags me by PM, I can edit the installer file so it will work on XP SP3.  If anyone needs me to do this, please send a PM.

InmemoryofRomeo

• Global Moderator
  • Pleo Grand Master RB
  • au Female
    • Professor
    • Wile_E_Coyote
    • Marcie
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2010, 09:14:43 PM »

I'm not sure about the USB updater but standard location would be the C:/program files.

Hold your Pleo's chin and their rear back sensor until they pull their feet together, then assist them to sit. While they are sitting, if they move around and coo at you they are running the latest OS, if they sit still they are running the older OS and should be updated :)

FinalBillybong

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2010, 12:09:56 PM »

Thank you for all the help guys.

I made both Pleo's sit and it was obvious they wee running the older software. Also, I installed the USB Updater on my Vista lastop and it worked perfectly. Both Pleo and Littlefoot are now running Life OS 1.1.

I have no idea why it wouldn't work on my Win 7 64bit rig but I suppose it doesn't really matter as long as I have the lappy.

I know this is off topic but does anyone know if Pleo's new owners are going to continue updating the Life OS or are we staying at 1.1 forever?

InmemoryofRomeo

• Global Moderator
  • Pleo Grand Master RB
  • au Female
    • Professor
    • Wile_E_Coyote
    • Marcie
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2010, 02:18:46 PM »

Ah 64 bit, you didn't mention that ;) That makes a considerable difference you know :)

And as for future updates, well no one knows. We know that the new model from Jetta due this year sometime will not have backwards compatible software because it will have better hardware. Whether they also release an update for the older Pleo's is something only they know.

PoetiC_OdditY

• Hatchling
  • Male
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2010, 07:58:44 AM »

'FinalBillybong' I also have Windows 7 64bit and have used the USB updater which didnt work (scared the sh*t out of me because first thing I did with my 1st pleo was update via usb and it crashed halfway through and pleo froze! Thought I had bricked the poor guy!) and the SD card method which worked fine.

The USB updater freezing is due to it being badly coded for XP SP3 as previously mentioned and it would also appear so badly coded in other ways which mean that even Windows 7 with its 'I'm compatable with anything' attitude cant run it so far as I can manage!

But hey I'm using a 32mb SD card and a $12 AU 7in1 USB card reader/writer and have had no trouble's at all so far updating my first Pleo, Shall try to update the other two soon because I'm pretty sure they are both LifeOS 1.0, but all three of my Pleo's were second hand and I dont mind them needing some care and attention to bring them up to spec :)

InmemoryofRomeo

• Global Moderator
  • Pleo Grand Master RB
  • au Female
    • Professor
    • Wile_E_Coyote
    • Marcie
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2010, 03:49:54 PM »

I can run mine just fine on windows 7 32 bit home edition :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal