Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: My pleo almost died, and what worked for me to get him out of his comatose state  (Read 3322 times)

Fierox

• Leaving the nest
  • Male

Hello all, im not much of a poster here but im posting this because it might be usefull to someone if they ever get a problem with their pleo.

About two weeks ago i had pleo walk around doing his usual things when i got a visitor and quickly turned him off and went off.
Nothing was wrong with him at that time (he was running the 1.1 software for months already) and i often turn pleo off ( dont use the back to package button usually).

The next time i turned him one he didnt respond at all. I thought about the battery although it wasnt supposed to be empty. I tried reloading it anyway.
With a full battery he still didnt move at all. All i heared was a soft "pop" of the speaker (not a special sound just the current thats on it).
I also have a homemade batterypack and that didnt work either. Now i started to get worried.

Pleo didnt respond to skits or whatever. Pleo did however still used power, like inside something was still running. think it used almost as much battery power as normal.
When i hooked pleo up to my pc, it found pleo normally. Running the 1.1 software on my pc also found pleo and said it was already running 1.1 doing nothing else.

Since i dont have pleo that long yet i decided to ask pleoworld first for suggestions before trying more.
Unfortunatly they didnt have any tips and they recommended that i return my pleo and get a new better one.
I do have to say there replies that came from them were not standard answers but complete and very quick in a helpfull tone and offering me a discount.
A big plus to them for that, especially since i didnt even bought pleo there.

So i contact the webshop were i bought my pleo (pleo-dino.com) but besides a automated mail i have yet to receive an answer, ill see if i get a reply soon.

Today i decided to try a bit more anyway and tried the OS downgrades available on this site.
Pleo didnt respond to any of them :( no sound, nothing.

At that time i was starting to think this really was the end for my pleo even tho i had the idea that deep down under his green skin there still was something alive..

On this forum i found a post (sorry i forgot the posters name) with a reset option.
The reset way was something like: turn on pleo and place thumb between his eyes, fingers on his chin and keep his mouth shut.
hold the button on his belly down for 15 sec and power him off and on.
(im not 100% sure i got the procedure right this time tho)
It also said to hold him on his tail and all but after the above step pleo briefly came alive.
He turned his head, curled his tail and moved his legs for a walk. Only took about 3 sec and then he was frozen again.

Anyway it made me hopefull again, something was alive in there! i was certain of it :)
Still the updates or downgrades didnt work so i wasnt much further still.
The downgrades didnt gave a beep or anything and it still said i was running 1.1.

Then i downloaded dinomite (thanks for that tool!) and got it running on my old win xp eee pc laptop.
I cant get dinomite to work on my win7 machines. glad i had the little old eee pc laptop, although the screen was too tiny for dinomite so it was a struggle :)

Anyway, it found my pleo and everything seemed ok. You can let pleo report certain status info and all came up fine as far as i could tell.
I had read somewhere about a bricked pleo that had lots of pictures on it that filled al his internal memory and made it crash.
On my pleo there were some pictures aswell called camera75.bmp or something like that.

I have never done any programming or whatever to my pleo so not sure if this normal or not.
(im also no programmer or anything). But since this was the problem for for someone else i tried todo the same thing as he did.
Perhaps downgrading failed because his memory was full.

When pleo is running the 1.1 software its not possible to delete files on his internal disk.
It is however possible to overwrite a file.
There is a file report.txt that is only 1k big. by entering "copy report.txt camera80.bmp" in dinomite and execute that the camera files could be overwritten by a much smaller file creating room.
(note: im doing this out of my head a few hours later so i might say something slightly wrong here).
So i did this for all camera files and tried the downgrade again... still nothing.
I then went back looking on the site and noticed there is also a file to load a pleo promotion version of the OS.

I gave that a try and pleo gave a few sounds as soon as i turned it on. However it didnt do anything else.
There also wasnt an ending note (there should have been one).

After that nothing else worked still untill i tried the SD card version 1.1 update.
(i had already tried the 1.0, 1.02 card versions and 1.1 usb version without luck).

But with the 1.1 SD card version he gave some sounds on powering up, and a sound when done and right away he was back alive! ALIVE!
He was back in the starting birth state and going through things normally. after he woke up a bit i dared to turn him off and remove the SD card.
When i turned him back on pleo continued walking up (think the end of the 1.1 birth he was going through).
And now he's back to normal again.

I have no idea if the pictures on pleo's internal disk were the problem and i have no idea if that will return.
Ill look in a while if there are any pictures on it again.
But for now my pleo lives again and has already started exploring my room once more.

yay!

Sorry for the long post, i just wanted to tell every step in case someone else might need it.

Regards,
Edwin and Chip (pleo)

InmemoryofRomeo

• Global Moderator
  • Pleo Grand Master RB
  • au Female
  • Pleo(s): Lilo, Stitch, Pleakley, Jumba, Nani, Yuki, Angus, Pluto
  • : 2011 winner2009 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
  • SAVE THE EARTH It's the only planet with chocolate
    • Professor
    • Wile_E_Coyote
    • Marcie

Aww so glad you got him working again :)
Eagerly awaiting Vector and Blue!

Bumblebee

• Store Owners
  • Pleo adept
  • Female
  • : Tomato Harvest Festivals
  • The manatee shall bump forever!

What a story! Glad your pleo is doing well!
Please note: It takes 36 muscles to frown, but it only takes 4 muscles to slap El Stupido upside the head.

Fierox

• Leaving the nest
  • Male

thx, and yes he's still doing fine!
First few times i've turned him on were exciting, wondering if he would wake up or not :O
Sofar things are going well :)

Oh and another thing, after the automatic answer i never did get any reply from pleo-dino.com, if youre planning on getting a pleo, dont go there!
Better to get the new improved pleo anyway
« Last Edit: February 04, 2010, 04:24:20 PM by Fierox »

Bumblebee

• Store Owners
  • Pleo adept
  • Female
  • : Tomato Harvest Festivals
  • The manatee shall bump forever!

We'd love to see some pictures of him :)
Seems like this site and Pleoworld are the only good places to find information. IMR said Pleoroom wasn't very great either. I was never a member, but from what I've heard I'm sort of glad.   :D
Please note: It takes 36 muscles to frown, but it only takes 4 muscles to slap El Stupido upside the head.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal