Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: , National Clean-Off-Your-Desk D, Organize Your Home Day  (Read 2333 times)

b blue eyes

• Pleo visionary
  • Female
  • ACCOUNT DELETED
, National Clean-Off-Your-Desk D, Organize Your Home Day
« on: January 07, 2010, 03:09:38 PM »

Dear Mweed,

Surely you are jesting about this?  I would take pictures but I don't want to end up on Oprah ! Time for  :rootbeer: and a slice of  :pizza:

mweed

• Grand Poobah
  • Triassic pleo master
  • us Male
  • Pleo(s): Bob, Mopey
  • : Tomat Harvest Festivals
    • Professor
    • Wile_E_Coyote
    • Dr_Bunsen_Honeydew
    • Snoopy
    • Bob the Pleo
Re: , National Clean-Off-Your-Desk D, Organize Your Home Day
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2010, 04:01:00 PM »

Looks like the calendar is a day off . . .  rus to go fix . . .

Press Releases

National Clean Off Your Desk Day

Second Monday in January

Are you concerned about what may be hiding in those piles on your desk?  Start the New Year off on a good start by tackling that messy desktop during  National Clean Off Your Desk Day!

This special day was originated by Anne Chase Moeller, the daughter of Mr. Chase of the Chase’s Annual Events—the very book where special events are listed.  Anne often helped out in her father’s office and shared his incredibly cluttered desk.  In order to create a place where she could work, she would spread a cloth over his chaos and then do her work.  When she finished, she would put her things away, including the cloth and leave.  The end of 1982 she declared that he would clean off his desk at least once each year.  Naturally, being in the business, they entered National Clean Off Your Desk Day into the record book for the second Monday in January, and the rest is history.  The record book has since been sold to a larger publisher, but the event is still celebrated each year.  It is a great time to get a fresh start for the new year.

Desktop management is critically important to our well-being – physically, mentally and psychologically.  It is extremely difficult to concentrate on a particular task when bombarded with myriad piles of paper.   The only papers that should be on your desk are the ones you are referring to at that particular moment.  The only miscellaneous objects should be ones you use all the time, except for a few special mementos and a living plant.

Against popular belief, a messy desk (and a messy office) is not a sign of a creative mind.  A cluttered desk often leads to a cluttered mind and clutter interferes with efficiency.  Clutter slows productivity.  It is simply the by-product of indecision.  Consider the desktop and immediate area as prime real estate.  It is neither a storage depot nor a junk table.  Stacks of papers do not create the busy look.  It is unprofessional; your credibility is at stake whenever a visitor enters your office, even if you and your staff are the only visitors.  Subconsciously, you are affected by your surroundings.   Clutter creates lost information, missed opportunities, tasks undone and decisions unmade.

The key to paper management, and ultimately organization, is processing—a decision-making procedure.  Use a layout area or dedicated file cabinet for current projects.  You will find that your desktop remains clear, yet your papers are within easy reach.  At the end of the day, take 15 minutes to clean up and put projects-in-process in a filing system.  Jot down a few notes in your day planner that will help you get a good start on tomorrow’s tasks.  Systematically purge to keep control over the filing system.

Desktop management does not need to be complicated.  Remember that 80% of what you find during the processing of cleaning is too old to deal with, expired data, illegible due to food stains or just not as important as you thought several months ago.  So let’s begin.  Roll up your sleeves and put on some inspiring music. This is a journey and it is up to you how far you travel and where you are going. The long-term goal is “a place for everything and everything in its place.”  Here are a few tips to help you get started:

1.      Gather three boxes, several trash bags and magic markers.  Label the boxes as ‘Immediate’ (as in Immediate Attention Required), ‘Put on hold’ and ‘Not Sure’.

2.      Start sorting.  First eliminate any food items, dishes, utensils, wrappings and anything else that is showing signs of life.

3.      Gather together magazines, journals, periodicals and catalogues.  These bulky items take up a tremendous amount of space and accumulate faster than you could possible read.  Place them in a ‘To Read’ pile to be dealt with at another organizing session.

4.      Weed through the remaining papers and sort according to their urgency putting them in the labeled boxes as defined.  Trash those papers and other objects that are no longer useful.

5.      Diligent weeding, sorting and trashing are must procedures in order to recover your valuable workspace.  When these steps are finished you will have a clearer vision of all that needs your immediate attention.

6.      There truly is important data roaming around your desktop (and other places) that is extremely valuable to your business.  Set up an adequate filing system so that you are able to locate this information when you need it.

Your possessions and paperwork reflect everything you have ever been or hoped to become.  There is a strong attachment to those things that symbolize our personal vision.  The clue that the “stuff” is out of control is when you begin to experience more grief than joy. It takes 21 consecutive days to develop a habit.  You are the one in control.  Don’t let paper influx from the information highway take over the desk top again.  This is your space to work.

Clutter hides the treasures that actually bring forth delight and inspiration.  There is a direct correlation between the environment and well being.  All our senses are alert to what is around us.  We breathe, feel, smell, see and react to our environment through psychological and biological responses.  The experts strongly suggest that we take a close look at what our environment is communicating.   We can produce harmony and comfort within our office, which ultimately will be reflected in the work we perform.  All it takes is a concerted effort, a commitment and a willingness to change.   

If your goal is to simplify your life and your office, find peace and comfort in your surroundings and develop positive energy in your environment, it is wise to do everything in your power to create a personal paradise.  Your health, prosperity and happiness are dependent upon a true balance within your life.  In order to manifest your goals, hopes and dreams for the future, you need to make changes today.   

b blue eyes

• Pleo visionary
  • Female
  • ACCOUNT DELETED
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2010, 08:16:41 PM »

thanks for the info mweed, very informative.  Now please send help to do away with the museum. ;D

mweed

• Grand Poobah
  • Triassic pleo master
  • us Male
  • Pleo(s): Bob, Mopey
  • : Tomat Harvest Festivals
    • Professor
    • Wile_E_Coyote
    • Dr_Bunsen_Honeydew
    • Snoopy
    • Bob the Pleo
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2010, 10:08:52 AM »

Call IESI and request the 15 cubic yard dumpster.  I'll send Gucci_boi over with the snow shovel.  He can start shoveling in the living room!  ;) ;D

gucci_boi7782

• Triassic pleo master
  • Male
  • : 2009 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
  • Go Vegetarian!
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2010, 11:37:42 AM »

ROFL!! I was shoveling for two hours! Now I am pooped!
Save a life, go vegetarian.

www.goveg.com/factoryFarming.asp

Sophie-(Ugobe)
Eliot-(Innvo Labs)
Peanut-(Aibo ERS 31L)

"Tell me, will I dream while I am turned off?" ~Jules (Hanson Robotics)

b blue eyes

• Pleo visionary
  • Female
  • ACCOUNT DELETED
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2010, 03:59:00 PM »

ROFL!! I was shoveling for two hours! Now I am pooped!

Just think of the wonderful exercise you are getting Gucci !   :P

b blue eyes

• Pleo visionary
  • Female
  • ACCOUNT DELETED
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2010, 05:05:19 PM »

Call IESI and request the 15 cubic yard dumpster.  I'll send Gucci_boi over with the snow shovel.  He can start shoveling in the living room!  ;) ;D

Actually the living room is all picked up, my desk is orderly, the diningroom has a few things to do.  The great room, my art studio is half way organized.  I need help on the enclosed sun porch.

gucci_boi7782

• Triassic pleo master
  • Male
  • : 2009 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
  • Go Vegetarian!
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2010, 06:49:12 PM »

Actually the living room is all picked up, my desk is orderly, the diningroom has a few things to do.  The great room, my art studio is half way organized.  I need help on the enclosed sun porch.

Great!! Just wait til spring, then I'll come by to help finish up the sun porch!
Save a life, go vegetarian.

www.goveg.com/factoryFarming.asp

Sophie-(Ugobe)
Eliot-(Innvo Labs)
Peanut-(Aibo ERS 31L)

"Tell me, will I dream while I am turned off?" ~Jules (Hanson Robotics)
Pages: [1]   Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal