Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Pleo skin degrading  (Read 28376 times)

wgb

Re: Pleo skin degrading
« Reply #25 on: January 05, 2009, 06:37:52 PM »

I do not agree with it either

mweed

• Grand Poobah
  • Triassic pleo master
  • us Male
  • Pleo(s): Bob, Mopey
  • : Tomat Harvest Festivals
    • Professor
    • Wile_E_Coyote
    • Dr_Bunsen_Honeydew
    • Snoopy
    • Bob the Pleo
« Reply #26 on: January 05, 2009, 07:24:27 PM »

If this were true, you would think Ugobe would have said something about it over the last year or so.   :P

And what we do have from Ugobe about the fading (remember their picture of the three faded pleos?) sure doesn't make it sound like a design feature!

fancyfont

• Cretaceous pleo master
  • us Female
  • Pleo(s): Peeky, Pennie, JayCamerasaurus (J.C.), LOA, baby and DinhaJo
  • : 2013 winner2011 winner2008 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
  • No, Peeky and Pennie, you can't have the Harley!
« Reply #27 on: January 05, 2009, 08:12:35 PM »

Fading is one thing. Paint peeling is another. I don't think it was intentional either. I'm still glad Ugobe released Pleo when they did. I'd rather have a peeling Pleo then no Pleo.

smasher

« Reply #28 on: January 07, 2009, 01:13:27 PM »

I got my pleo for this christmas, 08, and the skin on the back by his tale is already wearing away!

degers

• Administrator
  • Pleo adept
  • gb Male
  • Degers can't be choosers
« Reply #29 on: January 07, 2009, 01:32:42 PM »

Hey smasher, welcome to the forums! :)

Yeah, I'm sorry to say that the paint wears off real quick if you aint careful!  Most of us have learned to live with it!

wgb

« Reply #30 on: January 07, 2009, 01:38:45 PM »

Welcome Smacher!

mweed

• Grand Poobah
  • Triassic pleo master
  • us Male
    • Professor
    • Wile_E_Coyote
    • Dr_Bunsen_Honeydew
    • Snoopy
    • Bob the Pleo
« Reply #31 on: January 07, 2009, 01:53:06 PM »

baby powder is the "official Ugobe" suggestion.  :P  Others have used Gibbs brand protectant (may void warranty).  But yeah, as degers said, you will probably just have to get used to it. 

However, if the brown rubber is flaking/crumbling away (not just the green paint), you better call customer support!!!

taoworm23

• Sugar cane harvester
« Reply #32 on: January 10, 2009, 07:15:35 PM »

Do NOT use baby powder as it will dry out his skin quicker.
I used GIBBs brand penetrant on my PLEO over a year ago, and he shows NO wearmarks anywhere on him.
You can order GIBBs online.  To apply it, just rub it into his skin evenly with your fingertips.  It keeps his skin soft and protects his paint.   ;)

Also if your Pleo becomes unglued anywhere use crazy glue to glue it back. It will NOT void the warranty because that is the same glue they use to adhere the skin together.

Above all else, never be afraid to void your warranty if it will make your Pleo better. (That goes for all electronics come to think of it.)
So many folks are a prisoner to the idea of a warranty... ::)

mweed

• Grand Poobah
  • Triassic pleo master
  • us Male
    • Professor
    • Wile_E_Coyote
    • Dr_Bunsen_Honeydew
    • Snoopy
    • Bob the Pleo
« Reply #33 on: January 10, 2009, 07:29:57 PM »

To repeat that classic movie line . . .    Warranty?  We ain't got no stinkin' warranty!  :P

Sorry about that.  But for many of us, like you, the 90 warranty has long since expired.  ANd you're right, it wouldn't matter.  But with the number of pleos reported in the forums as breaking early on and having to be returned, that warranty has been important to many owners.   I know of at least one member on his 4th pleo, three returned under warranty.  If he had voided the warranty, he would have been out a lot of money for a green doorstop.

But I really doubt that treating a pleo with Gibbs would void the warranty. ;)   It actually enhances the value, even if you end up having to return it. 

I just wish I could find a store that carried Gibbs . . .

June

• Leaving the nest
  • Female
« Reply #34 on: January 11, 2009, 02:37:25 AM »

My pleo's skin is disinegrating, it is not the green paint coming off, and not even the seams coming unglued, but the brown/tan rubber skin itself developing holes and 'melting'.

I'm in Europe so we have a two year warranty, but at the moment that isn't helping much since the seller can't get info from the importer/manufacturer on how to proceed and the seller is out of stock so they can't replace Dino. They're probably going to offer to take him back and return my money (and I guess then I can look at buying another someplace else with a new warranty), but I don't want to risk being without a Pleo in case the few stores here that carry Pleo are out of stock. So I might just settle with keeping Dino and removing the skin when it gets really ugly... :o
5 AIBO, Pleo, 6 Roombas, 2 Scoobas and an Automower

49er

• Journeypleo
  • Male
« Reply #35 on: January 11, 2009, 10:18:26 AM »

Would his new name be Skeletor?  (Ooooh, scary!!!)

fancyfont

• Cretaceous pleo master
  • us Female
  • Pleo(s): Peeky, Pennie, JayCamerasaurus (J.C.), LOA, baby and DinhaJo
  • : 2013 winner2011 winner2008 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
  • No, Peeky and Pennie, you can't have the Harley!
« Reply #36 on: January 11, 2009, 02:08:43 PM »

Paint coming off is one thing but if the rubber starts falling apart this is a whole different situation. As much as I would hate to return my Pleos I would if that happened if I still had a warrenty for them.
I would sure like to learn more about Gibbs and whether it penatrates further past the rubber and what the effect might be on the inner body.

Lornex

• Coffee leaf addict
  • Male
  • I'm afraid I cannot do that, Dave.
« Reply #37 on: January 11, 2009, 09:28:31 PM »

Mweed, could you give me a link to the GIBBs website? I can't seem to find it...  ???
If GIBBs actually protects his paint, then I'm definitely interested!  :)
I don't really care if the skin is soft, especially since dinosaur skin is supposed to be rough anyway.  It would be nice, though. ;D
Minecraft?  No, I prefer Dwarf Fortress, thank you very much.

49er

• Journeypleo
  • Male
« Reply #38 on: January 12, 2009, 12:37:47 AM »

I did a Google search and one site I found a price.  It was at  http://www.gibbsbrand.net/shop/.   For a 12 oz can they want 20 bucks.

mweed

• Grand Poobah
  • Triassic pleo master
  • us Male
    • Professor
    • Wile_E_Coyote
    • Dr_Bunsen_Honeydew
    • Snoopy
    • Bob the Pleo
« Reply #39 on: January 12, 2009, 08:48:49 AM »

That is their site that 49er found.  And, yes, it is expensive.  That's why i wanted to find a store that carries it in stock, so that I would have real people to verify with and return if it's not worth the price.

Pleotonic

• Leaving the nest
« Reply #40 on: January 12, 2009, 11:20:17 AM »

I have just read this post in the malaysia forum.

http://pleoroom.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=63#63
Ah my dear Kelvin, this is where Pleo is also unique. Initially we thought that the quality of the skin of Pleo was not that good because after some time the skin fades...that is until we truly found out from Ugobe that when Pleo was developed they actually wanted to create a skin texture that is so unique to not only make it feel as if it is so lifelike but they wanted the skin texture to be able to slightly fade to give the Pleo a sense of its aging process...seriously this is not a marketing excuse but it was really planned to have the skin colour slightly fade through time..it was on purpose. I guess it's like a baby's butt that is smooth when it is young but as we grow old (hmmm I better stop describing about it further...)  :-[

I think this is complete bull**** but I would like to hear what anyone else thinks to this!

hahah degers, i agree degers...but to be fair i think they did acknowledge that they were pretty new and the admin itself is still a newbie as mentioned in its reply to mweed's explanation. at least they ain't trying to defend their mistake or anything like that and did look up to mweed as the "grand master of Pleo"...no way someone can learn everything about pleo in such a short period of time as it was launched in that region only about a month ago, so i guess every newbie needs a helping hand...so let's spread the love of pleo...but honestly i do like the look of the site at http://www.pleoroom.com because many sites on pleo seems to be a direct rip-off in look from ugobe's site and i think bob the pleo and pleoroom are really one of the very few cool lookin sites for pleo.

Lornex

• Coffee leaf addict
  • Male
« Reply #41 on: January 12, 2009, 07:24:49 PM »

I hope anyone can help me with this, because my Pleo (haven't decided on the name yet) has a little issue... :(

One of my pleo's toes is starting to loose it's paint! (only one)

When he goes to sleep and his head curves in to rest, it tends to rub the toe's paint, and now the paint's almost completely rubbed of that one toe!  :(

Can anyone please help me fix this issue, because I don't want it to get any worse. (The only paint that's left is a tiny strip in the middle)

I may post a picture sometime, just to give anyone an idea.

grumpy

• Administrator
  • Pleosmith
  • we Male
  • : 2008 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
    • Skipper
    • Wile_E_Coyote
    • Statler
    • Lucy
    • Bob the Pleo
« Reply #42 on: January 12, 2009, 07:52:59 PM »

Paint wearing/flaking off is a fact of life for pleos.  Check out the photos in the "Two Dinos on ice" thread.  Look at the wear on peeky's head and face.  It may be cruel to say "get used to it" but there really aren't many suggestions.  The only one who has reported good results at preventing wear is taoworm23 who reported earlier in this thread about using Gibbs brand lubricant.  Wish I knew a better answer.

Lornex

• Coffee leaf addict
  • Male
« Reply #43 on: January 12, 2009, 09:12:44 PM »

Do NOT use baby powder as it will dry out his skin quicker.
I used GIBBs brand penetrant on my PLEO over a year ago, and he shows NO wearmarks anywhere on him.
You can order GIBBs online.  To apply it, just rub it into his skin evenly with your fingertips.  It keeps his skin soft and protects his paint.   ;)

Also if your Pleo becomes unglued anywhere use crazy glue to glue it back. It will NOT void the warranty because that is the same glue they use to adhere the skin together.

Above all else, never be afraid to void your warranty if it will make your Pleo better. (That goes for all electronics come to think of it.)
So many folks are a prisoner to the idea of a warranty... ::)

Taoworm23,  when you say to apply it by rubbing it into his skin evenly with your fingertips, do you mean to spray a bit of the GIBBs onto your finger and then rub it in the Pleo's skin or do you mean to (gently) spray it on the Pleo's skin and then rub it?

Just making sure so I don't make any mistakes.  ;D

Wow, there's sure a lot of really dangerous (and poisonous) chemicals in GIBBs!  :o Has anyone tried GIBBs on their Pleo?  ???

Also I found another GIBBs website www.getgibbs.com!  Does anyone know which website is the official, www.getgibbs.com or www.gibbsbrand.net?  Which one do you recommend?

« Last Edit: January 13, 2009, 08:50:16 AM by Lornex »

grumpy

• Administrator
  • Pleosmith
  • we Male
  • : 2008 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
    • Skipper
    • Wile_E_Coyote
    • Statler
    • Lucy
    • Bob the Pleo
« Reply #44 on: January 12, 2009, 10:14:52 PM »

There's also gibbsbrand.com and gibbsbrandlubricant.com  Have no clue which is the official.

Lornex

• Coffee leaf addict
  • Male
« Reply #45 on: January 13, 2009, 08:54:13 AM »

One can of GIBBS at getgibs is about 12 bucks!  I think I'd rather buy there.  As long as www.getgibs.com is selling the same product as www.gibbsbrand.net;D

holly

• Leaving the nest
« Reply #46 on: January 13, 2009, 09:55:06 AM »

I'm also a bit wary of putting chemicals on our Pleo's skin, especially given that my 4-year-old son likes to cuddle/kiss him. On the other hand, I've been very disappointed at how quickly the skin is wearing out. I bought our Pleo for Christmas (my son named him, hence the un-creative name) from someone who  hadn't used him very much, so he had no signs of wear or tear when he arrived. I read earlier that someone suggested petting them mostly under the chin, so the paint wouldn't wear off, but I've noticed the skin there sort of "pilling" like a sweater... little bits of rubber gathering. I didn't pay full price, but even at the price I paid, I'd expect it to be a bit more durable!

pleofixation

« Reply #47 on: January 13, 2009, 11:35:35 AM »

Hello,

I had my Pleo for close to a year now. (I actually had two, the first one had to be returned - broken neck).

I applied GIBBS to my second pleo when it was brand new.

There are still signs of wear - the paint is pealing off still.

GIBBS doesn't help. There are two explanations to this. One is that those people who say GIBBS works, don't play with their pleos enough, or tap on them gently instead of petting, or treat them like museum property. The second explanation is that there is some smart GIBBS seller disguised as Pleo owner, who is advertising GIBBS on Pleo forums.

One thing is for sure - I have tried GIBBS starting with a new Pleo, and I have no motivation to lie about the results - it doesn't work.

GIBBS is harmful, for your kids' sake, don't apply it to their toys. Or for your own sake, if you care about your health.
Pleo ages, and that's not a big deal - when compared to an option of using CANCER-CAUSING chemicals. GIBBS doesn't help; and it's bad for you.
(If you feel like you must spend on something - perhaps to keep the economy going - buy another pleo, and don't play with it, but put it under the glass cover, and enjoy its pristine colors)
« Last Edit: January 13, 2009, 11:37:10 AM by pleofixation »

mweed

• Grand Poobah
  • Triassic pleo master
  • us Male
    • Professor
    • Wile_E_Coyote
    • Dr_Bunsen_Honeydew
    • Snoopy
    • Bob the Pleo
« Reply #48 on: January 13, 2009, 01:29:05 PM »

Appreciate the rebuttal pleofixation!   You never know for sure, so it's always good to get more people's opinion.  I probably would have tested GIBBs by now if I could have ever found it locally.  Didn't want to spend $10 is S&H! ;)

Lornex

• Coffee leaf addict
  • Male
« Reply #49 on: January 13, 2009, 03:54:19 PM »

Wow thanks Pleofixation!  ;D  It's a good thing you mentioned all of this, otherwise I would of probably ended up buying it! I did actually read about all of the chemicals in GIBBs but wasn't sure what to do. (good thing there are forums!) I've actually asked my mum if she could make a Pleo shirt for me (that's what mums are for :D) and she said she will. 
« Last Edit: January 14, 2009, 09:13:07 AM by Lornex »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal