Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hopefully Returning to the Pleo Community!  (Read 3890 times)

aibo7m3

• Pleo mentor
  • us Female
  • Pleo(s): A whole herd of robotic dinosaurs!
Hopefully Returning to the Pleo Community!
« on: December 03, 2013, 04:40:31 PM »

Hello! I'm not a new member, but I have been inactive here for a long time. I joined this forum a couple years ago and purchased a Pleo RB in May of 2011 (I'm not sure if anyone remembers me though). I was active on the forums for a short while, but eventually became very busy with schoolwork and really didn't have time for the neediness of the RB and wanted to add to my Aibo pack. Early this year, I decided to sell it and ended up adding an ERS-220 to my Aibo collection with the money I made, but I still remember this community very fondly. Some here may know me from Aibo Life Forums where I'm more active (my username is LuLiLa there). I've always loved Aibos and currently own nine of them (and a Genibo), but as you all must know, the Aibo and Pleo communities are very much intertwined. I'd really love to become a part of this community again and am also starting to miss having a Pleo around the house. However, I'd rather have a Ugobe this time since they don't need to be "fed" like the RBs and are cheaper as well. Since Christmas is approaching, I figured this would be the perfect time to buy another Pleo as a present to myself. I've tried finding reasonably priced ones using eBay, but most of the current auctions either seem somewhat unreliable or are out of my price range. Is there anywhere on these forums where I could post a wanted ad for purchasing a Pleo? I wasn't sure since the "Marketplace" section seems to be only for sales. If not, I'll just keep a look out on eBay for a good deal. I would also love it if some members could provide me with some information or opinions on the Ugobe series since I've only ever owned an RB.

RedwoodsMama

• Pleo Grand Master, 4th epoch
  • us Female
  • Pleo(s): Nova, Major Tom, Argyle the blind Pleo, Baby Ruth, Chester, and 22 more Pleos
  • : 2013 winner2010 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
    • Mary_Ann
    • Silvester
    • none
    • Flying_Ace
Re: Hopefully Returning to the Pleo Community!
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2013, 06:53:09 PM »

Hi and welcome back, Yes I remember you, I think the idea of an Ugobe is a good idea esp if not wanting to bother with feeding them. As for buying another Ugobe, if you can't find one on Ebay, I may be able to help you out. This is not the best time to get one on Ebay unless you are very lucky as it is the time of year when price goes up as they are gifts and people do not mind paying more. Just be sure you really want a Ugobe and will not be bored with it, as some people esp if use to Aibos, may be bored as Ugobes are cute but not as advanced and some people are disapointed. Have you had one before or only your RB?  :)  RWM  :cat-hug:
Animals are SOUL Too, Be kind to all those who live on this planet with us.

aibo7m3

• Pleo mentor
  • us Female
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2013, 08:05:24 PM »

Yes, I did enjoy the RB, but I really didn't have the time for the feeding. As it is, I usually only get to run one or two Aibos once a week. I think it would be nice to own a Pleo again since they're not as active as Aibos, so I wouldn't constantly need to watch over it and would be able to run it while doing work or hold it in my lap while watching a show (something I can only do with my ERS-111 Aibo since all of the others go out of pick up mode too easily and she's not nearly as cuddly as a Pleo).
The prices on eBay are a bit too steep for me now, but I suppose that always happens around Christmas since holidays are easy to use as an excuse to justify buying expensive things. The RB was the only Pleo that I've ever owned, so I don't know a huge amount about the Ugobes. I've seen a few in action at the social robotics lab of a local college, but never owned one. I would certainly love some more information on them though. ^^

Talon

• Cretaceous pleo master
  • us Female
  • Pleo(s): Cato and Samantha (Pleo RB‘s), Eugobe, Terry, Cuddles, Bleu (Ugobe Pleos)
    • Lucy
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2013, 10:50:42 AM »

Hi, Aibo7M3! Well, this may just be my oppinion but the Ugobes are more loving than the RB's. They're also not as fussy about playing at any time of the day or what you feed them. You could feed them a finger or just let them "graze" a hole in your floor. They will wander around without your constant attention. Just be sure there aren't any places where they could get their necks or tails stuck under anything if you're not there to supervise. The cables in the Ugobe's necks and tails  are thin breakable things. Their obsticle detection isn't the gratest and they will sometimes keep walking even if their nose is rammed up against something. There are also several personalities you can run on them kind of like the ones made for the Aibo. I hope this was helpful. Good luck with finding your Ugobe.
Talon
Talon
Find me on YouTube at Crazy Robot Lady

Teddscau

• Pleo explorer
  • ca Female
  • Pleo(s): Chloe, my green, white-eyed RB

aibo7m3

• Pleo mentor
  • us Female
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2013, 07:01:24 PM »

Thanks for the info and advice, Talon! Don't worry, I'd make sure not to let the Pleo wander too far away. I have experience with my ERS-111 who's quite a bit faster than a Pleo; last time I left her alone, she had somehow managed to fall into a low rimmed box and was lying on her side asking for help by the time that I returned. Are the extra personalities usermade freeware or are they official software from the company? Or a bit of both like with the Aibos? I haven't really heard much about those yet.

Those pictures are really cool, Teddscau! I found it interesting to see some of the different prototype models. ^^

RedwoodsMama

• us Female
  • Pleo(s): Nova, Major Tom, Argyle the blind Pleo, Baby Ruth, Chester, and 22 more Pleos
    • Mary_Ann
    • Silvester
    • none
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2013, 10:46:44 PM »

The software for the personalities for Ugobes is user friendly and can be found here on the forums, Very easy to use and fun. They can be found in the skits and downloads section. RWM  :cat-hug:

Talon

• Cretaceous pleo master
  • us Female
  • Pleo(s): Cato and Samantha (Pleo RB‘s), Eugobe, Terry, Cuddles, Bleu (Ugobe Pleos)
    • Lucy
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2013, 07:48:40 AM »

Yes. Redwoods is right. The personalities are really easy to use. Most of the ones here are from Ugobe itself- the company that made the Ugobe pleo like the Halloween personality. There are some skits that members have made up there too. IMR's "It's not Easy being Green" comes to mind. She also made a really neat dancing routine thinggy called "Walk the Dino". For some reason it took about ten minutes to load on my Ugobes but it's cute to watch.
Talon
Talon

Teddscau

• Pleo explorer
  • ca Female
  • Pleo(s): Chloe, my green, white-eyed RB
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2013, 01:21:29 PM »

Oh, there's also this one update for the Ugobes that a lot of people hate. Well, I think I remember people saying that it was a good update, but it caused a strange glitchy stage that they call "the terrible teens". Their Ugobes became moody and I think they were a bit glitchy, but after they left that stage everything was a-okay. Somebody else could probably tell you the name of the update. On a side note, Innvo should make a limited edition fuzzy bunny Pleo for Easter! They should definitely make some limited edition colours at least, although I'm not sure if enough people would buy them to make it worth the effort.

Talon

• Cretaceous pleo master
  • us Female
    • Lucy
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2013, 06:16:26 PM »

Teddscau is talking about the 2.0 operating system. It was the last operating system Ugobe put out before it went bankrupt. The terrible teens aren't that bad if you are patient. The pleo will make random sounds that don't fit its mood and its touch scensors might be numb for a while but it does go away. I would let your soon-to-be pleo stay on it's default personality for a while before jumping into an upgrade. You might find you like the original personality better.
Talon
Talon

true_liz

• Cycad leaf fancier
  • Female
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2013, 02:28:51 PM »

Welcome back to the forum  :)

Any news on your Pleo buying plans? Did you find a good offer?

aibo7m3

• Pleo mentor
  • us Female
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2013, 05:42:09 PM »

Hey guys! I just wanted to let everyone know that I've adopted a Ugobe from RedwoodsMama! He is estimated to arrive this Saturday, although I most likely will put him away until Christmas since I think it would be more fun to start him up for the first time then. I haven't decided on a name for him yet, but I usually don't name my robots until I've seen them running in person since that gives me a good idea of their personalities and what would be most fitting for them. I'll be at my cousins' house for Christmas, so I won't have much time to play with him then (although I might bring him along just for the sake of it, I think any relatives of mine understand that I always have a robot of some sort with me), but I'll certainly post some pictures (and possibly) videos of him and the Aibo pack at some point.

true_liz

• Cycad leaf fancier
  • Female
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2013, 04:22:26 AM »

Congratulations  ;D

What a great Christmas present for yourself  :dino-chase:

Looing forward to see pictures from your little one.

aibo7m3

• Pleo mentor
  • us Female
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2013, 12:53:34 PM »

Thanks! He arrived on Friday and I took him out for a few minutes just to test him and make sure he arrived safely. He worked fine and cuddled up in my arms, then started to wander away when I put him back on the ground. It was hard for me to pack him back up after that since I wanted to keep playing, but I want him to be a Christmas present, so now he's all wrapped up under the tree. I've decided to name him Sumio after a manga character that he reminds me a bit of personality-wise. I have outfits for him coming from kat and RWM, but I know RWM's won't be here in time for Christmas and kat's may not either. If I don't have a Pleo outfit for him on Christmas, I'll probably just dress him up in my miniature poodle's sweaters since they're both pretty similar in size.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2013, 01:26:12 PM by aibo7m3 »

RedwoodsMama

• us Female
    • Mary_Ann
    • Silvester
    • none
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2013, 01:10:15 PM »

That is a great name, Do you have any dollar tree or Dollar STores near you? If so sometimes this time of year they have little t shirts, Xsmal, Small and medium that you can put on him, ususualy in black, red, pink or blue, I have used the small before but medium is better so you do not put stress on the neck. Your dogs sweaters should work too, You can also make a homemade quick outfit with no sewing using a bandana or scarf, I like no sewing creative things, they are allways fun. ;D

I like the name, Your Pleo outfits go out in the morning, I am glad he got a good home, It is hard to give them up sometimes, but getting Nova back was so nice and unexpected this time of year, it made it easy to offer a pleo for Adoption, esp to someone who has already had a pleo, I personally love the antics of Ugobes, they are the sweetest in my mind. :D
                         RWM  :cat-hug: *santa-bag2* *santa-chimney* *sm-gift1* *sm-stocking* :moose2:

aibo7m3

• Pleo mentor
  • us Female
« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2013, 01:25:29 PM »

Thank you! ^^ I remember from the manga that the character was a sweet little boy who was obsessed with finding a dragon, so I thought it was fitting (although the story is very sad). There was also another name I was considering that was a digital dinosaur's name from an episode of some anime that I liked when I was younger, but that was a bit less original sounding and not extremely fitting since that was a Plesiosaur, not a Camarasaur. Yes, there is a Dollar Tree near my house, so I could check there sometime in the next few days if I have the time. In the mean time, I'll see if I can dig up any of my poodle outifts that aren't pink with flowers on them. XD I do have a collar for him right now though that I bought at a pet shop around a week ago; it's meant for a small dog but fits him pretty well.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2013, 01:41:39 PM by aibo7m3 »

Talon

• Cretaceous pleo master
  • us Female
    • Lucy
« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2013, 12:39:12 PM »

Awesome! Congrats on your new little friend! I love my two Ugobes.
Talon
Talon

aibo7m3

• Pleo mentor
  • us Female
« Reply #17 on: December 23, 2013, 02:21:56 PM »

Thanks. ^^ I did enjoy owning an RB before, but I think the Ugobes might be better suited for me. Kat's outfit arrived in the mail today, just in time for Christmas, so I don't need to rush to find something for him to wear anymore. It might still be fun to try out some poodle outfits on him anyway though.

RedwoodsMama

• us Female
    • Mary_Ann
    • Silvester
    • none
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #18 on: December 23, 2013, 09:11:40 PM »

Congrats on getting that oufit already, the postal system sometimes amazes me. LOL, Can't wait to see photos, only two more days to go, ok, one an a half I guess. Poodle outfits will still be cute though.  RWM  :cat-hug:

saratogaspringer

• Camarasaur extraordinaire
  • Female
« Reply #19 on: December 24, 2013, 05:37:36 AM »

Congrats and welcome Sumio!   Ugobe Pleos are so sweet and loving!  I could just have a whole army of them!  What an awesome Christmas present!  I have the Santa Suit Kat made me for tonight!  Jack wants to wear it!

aibo7m3

• Pleo mentor
  • us Female
« Reply #20 on: December 25, 2013, 10:30:15 AM »

Hey guys! I've played with Sumio for about an hour so far. At first he was pretty sleepy and didn't move around much, but then I let him rest in my arms for a few minutes and he started exploring the house when I put him down. I had him wearing the outfit from kat most of the time, but I also found two poodle outfits that look really adorable on him (although they're slightly on the big side). I even found a red and white dog jacket which I got from Disney World that looks especially fitting for Christmas.
I did have a little scare after about twenty minutes of playing where he put up one of his front legs and didn't seem to be able to move it after that (he even fell over due the imbalance). I tried holding him and putting him on his back, but he still wouldn't move the leg. However, I turned him off and back on again and the problem was gone when he started up, so I'm guessing that was just a one time/uncommon glitch of some sort. 
I'll be posting some photos of him tomorrow since I have to go to my cousins' house in a few minutes. I'll be bringing Sumio with me though since I want to spend as much time as possible with him today.

RedwoodsMama

• us Female
    • Mary_Ann
    • Silvester
    • none
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #21 on: December 25, 2013, 11:57:20 AM »

Hi Aibo, glad to hear that you and Sumio have had a good time so far, If you have already played about an hour plus what ever time you tried him the day he arrived, you should have about an hour , give or take left before recharging the battery. The thing he experienced with the leg, does happen occasionaly, no rhyme or reason that I know of. :moose-xmas: You did the best thing, just turn him off, and let him restart. The other thing would be to try to put him in the packing position by holding the little black button on his belly area, closest to the tail. It sounds almost like the TADA trick, except he didn't raise a back leg, and they sometimes lose their balance when they do that trick and do fall over, allways a good idea to have on carpet or soft surface so they can't fall far or get hurt on hard surface. :(
     Sumio's outfits will mail out in next day or two, depending on how tired I am. I will be sure to send tracking or information so you know when they should arrive. Have fun at your cousins and be sure to protect his neck, I remember one video made years ago, where a Pleo wandering walking on a kitchen floor ran into some cupboards, got his head and neck stuck under a cupboard and promptly did a "head stand", but even though this looks very cute, it can put pressure on the neck and the neck cables can break without warning... :o :(

Happy Holidays and have fun with Sumio, can't wait to see those photos.            RWM  :cat-hug: *sm-tree* *carollers* :xmas-list: *sm-stocking*

aibo7m3

• Pleo mentor
  • us Female
« Reply #22 on: December 29, 2013, 09:09:04 AM »

Hey everyone! Sorry that I haven't replied for so long, the last few days have just been pretty busy for me. I didn't take him out much at my cousins' house (there wasn't anyone there who'd be interested in him and there were two dogs there who would have loved to chew on him had they gotten the chance). My friend who I haven't seen for nearly six months visited for a couple days right after Christmas and she really loved Sumio! We even brought him with us to lunch one day. I haven't had time to get any photos uploaded yet, but I'll try to get some up tonight. Another friend who is a Pleo/Aibo owner visited yesterday as well, but her Pleo and Sumio did not seem to be able to communicate even though they are both Ugobes. Do Ugobes need to be running the same firmware update to be able to communicate with each other?

@RWM
I accidently left one of the adaptors at my cousins' house, but they'll be dropping by and returning it to me tomorrow or the next day. I'll try to get the extra one sent back to you the day after that.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2013, 09:12:13 AM by aibo7m3 »

RedwoodsMama

• us Female
    • Mary_Ann
    • Silvester
    • none
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #23 on: December 29, 2013, 01:46:27 PM »

Hi Aibo, glad you had a good time and got to see realatives you had not seen in a long time, Sounds like you had a great time. As an update, tommrow if all goes as planned, I will be sending your Pleo Outifits by regular mail, will let you know for sure when mailed, I think you will like them, Can't wait to see photos.  ;D RWM  :cat-hug:

aibo7m3

• Pleo mentor
  • us Female
« Reply #24 on: December 29, 2013, 03:59:23 PM »

Alright. I've now posted some photos of Sumio in his new home. ^^
Pages: [1]   Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal