Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Buying Pleo from music-in-life @ eBay  (Read 1907 times)

celltx

• Leaving the nest
  • Male
Buying Pleo from music-in-life @ eBay
« on: May 22, 2011, 12:55:57 PM »

Just in case somebody plans to buy Pleo from music-in-life, here is my sad story:

I chose music-in-life at eBay because of 100% positive feedback. It meant to be a birthday gift for my daughter, so I ordered it a month in advance, knowing it should take time to arrive from Taiwan. It arrived in two weeks, but was unpacked only two weeks later. Initially, it worked as it should, hatching, movements, sound, etc. Then one night it took a sleeping position and did not move since then. No battery charges and changes did not help (I have two - green and gray).

I contacted the seller and told him the story. music-in-life was very kind, gave me few advices on how to revive the Pleo and then agreed to exchange it. I've sent it back in March. Two weeks later music-in-life confirmed that he received it. Now, two months later I still did not get it back. My multiple mails are not answered. Unfortunately, the time has past for opening a dispute at eBay. At the beginning music-in-life was so kind and willing to help that I did not think that something can go wrong. Now I believe he waited for the 45-day to expire, so that I can not open a dispute.

So, here are the lessons I've learned:

- no matter how secure, kind and feedback-positive seller looks, in case of problem open a dispute claim right away
- everything needs to be checked right on arrival, so that more time is left for resolving a dispute

It's unfortunate that these simple lessons cost me $369 plus 25% custom (here in Israel taxes are quite high).

bhobbes

Re: Buying Pleo from music-in-life @ eBay
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2011, 01:04:39 PM »

I'm sorry to hear about your experience. That really sucks and is unfortunately not a cheap lesson. Made even more upsetting by the fact it was meant to be a gift.

Sadly, your lessons are the ones that people usually don't learn until it hits their pocketbooks :\

But your lessons are very accurate. Always open/start a dispute immediately upon learning about a defect (thus always check the defect upon arrival, and as others in this forum have pointed out, video tape it while you open the box from its arrival and indicate clearly shipping labels and point out packaging to help reinforce its being opened for the first time). Whether or not the seller seems nice or responsive, many things can go wrong. And by "sitting" on any type of claim, you're waiving your right to the claim (generally).

And even after learning such lessons, it's ALWAYS possible to be scammed/screwed over. If anything, that's what's the most depressing about these lessons! However, I think it best to always try to think of everything that can go wrong in any transaction and do whatever you can to protect yourself against it.

Thank you for sharing. Have you tried to contact eBay at all explaining your circumstances to see if they will accommodate you or is it a truly strict technicality that kills everything?

celltx

• Leaving the nest
  • Male
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2011, 01:32:20 PM »

Thanks. The thing is that my Pleo worked right after unpacking. The package was un-damaged and everything looked ok initially. About the only strange thing was that after I insert a freshly recharged battery, Pleo stand still and silent for about 10-20min (!) and then started moving and behave normally for 2-3 hours, up to the next battery charge. At first I thought the battery was hot, so I cooled the battery down to the room temp, but still Pleo needed 10-20min to recognize the charged battery. So, I gave up and decided that this is a minor thing. Then, two weeks later, it stopped forever.

As for the eBay, it seems that 60 days after the purchase there is no way to leave any feedback, complain or anything. I bought my Pleo in the end of January, sent it back to the seller in March, and my 60 days are long gone.

bhobbes

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2011, 01:44:59 PM »

Yeah, sorry the video is just a general eBay tip for any potential eBay buyers here. The messed up part here is the seller taking it back, responding, and disappearing (maybe something happened to them although they do have a post).

That's too bad that there's no way for you to get any portion of the money (or a truly working) Pleo back.

I haven't owned a Ugobe model so I'm not sure if that's a common problem or not (much less if there is some "fix" or not).

celltx

• Leaving the nest
  • Male
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2011, 02:19:36 PM »

@ The messed up part here is the seller taking it back, responding, and disappearing (maybe something happened to them although they do have a post).

Actually, music-in-life continues to sell Pleos at eBay and still collecting positive responses, as we talk. The 100% positive feedback was exactly what made me thinking that the exchange would go smoothly and I did not open a dispute - a lesson learned.

bhobbes

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2011, 02:48:31 PM »

I just looked at his feedback, and they are all from real accounts (you know, not people who are all buying one thing from him and have only ever bought one thing or anything suspicious).

How disappointing. Based on the feedback and so on, I'd also feel safe bidding on an item there.

RedwoodsMama

• Pleo Grand Master, 4th epoch
  • us Female
  • Pleo(s): Nova, Major Tom, Argyle the blind Pleo, Baby Ruth, Chester, and 22 more Pleos
  • : 2013 winner2010 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
    • Mary_Ann
    • Silvester
    • none
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2011, 04:37:08 PM »

I am sorry that this happened to you and you did learn the lesson not to wait till the time has expired and you can't get the buyer protection from ebay. I recently bought a Pleo advertised as Never "awoken', new never hatched, I had no reason to not believe them as they also had 100% positive feedback, though not a lot of feedback, I won the Pleo at a bid of $149.50 plus the cost of shipping, I learned from past expereinces to video tape opening boxes of anything of value, esp Pleos since
condition can be one thing to one person and something else to another though Unhatched means never used. Well when I got the box I did videotape opening it. When I first opened the box I was suspicius, the ID card and manual were missing.... :o  this does not happen in a Unused Pleo. Next clue was that the Pleo was in a slightly curled up position, not the normal packing position where the whole body is completly straight. also the USB cables were missing and the battery was not in its box and the leaf had paint marks on it, The Pleo was in excelelnt condition and still had that "fresh paint smell", but the paint was chipped from  it's teetch, all obvious signs of use. >:( To give the buyer the benefit of doubt, I then inserted a freshly charged Egg battery from one of my pleos, still recording the whole thing. If this pleo was New and Unwoken. it would go into the curled up position to "hatch" Instead it said, HUH, and then began honking and making Pleo noises. I was very upset but glad I had the whole thing on tape.
              I opened a case immediatly the next day ,and then contacted the seller telling them of what happened. They insisted it was new but asked what kind of discount I was looking for. I told them I had taken video and would gladly show them the video of my and the Pleo they sent. They asked me to send them the link, which I listed publicly on Youtube but with no name of seller. The next response from the seller was: " how do I know that this is the Pleo I sent you"? What a strange reaction...I couldn't believe them, I told them I wanted the Pleo but did not think it was worth the price as I would have not bid that price or others wouldln't have not knowing the Pleo had been used. I offered him a price of $110.00 plus shipping, They never got back to me after that, not even with a counter offer so I had it then escalated to a final decision as the case would close automaticlaly on May 14th otherwise. Paypal and ebay also never heard back from the seller and gave me my full refund of $169.50 plus advised me to leave negative feedback to this seller and told me how happy they were with me. ( I have since gained not only Powerseller status but also am a top Rated Seller on ebay.) The lesson is, protect yourself, it does nto matter if feedback is 100%, they can still lie and take photos and allways ask questions, I am so sorry this happened to you, that seller is not worthy or the kind of thing he has done, He also kept your Pleo...very bad practice for anyone.                            RedwoodsMama
Animals are SOUL Too, Be kind to all those who live on this planet with us.

InmemoryofRomeo

• Global Moderator
  • Pleo Grand Master RB
  • au Female
  • Pleo(s): Lilo, Stitch, Pleakley, Jumba, Nani, Yuki, Angus, Pluto
  • : 2011 winner2009 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
  • SAVE THE EARTH It's the only planet with chocolate
    • Professor
    • Wile_E_Coyote
    • Marcie
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2011, 04:55:00 PM »

How did you pay? Paypal (although of course run by eBay) may have some options.

So sorry to hear what happened :(
Eagerly awaiting Vector and Blue!

kat

• Pleo Grand Master, 2nd epoch
  • au Female
  • Pleo(s): Kermit (Pink RB), Norbit (Green RB), Pickle(nude RB), Gumble, Minyon and Frankie
  • : 2013 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
    • Marvin_Martian
    • Kermit
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2011, 05:38:28 PM »

I am really sorry to hear this happened to you.  Have you tried contacting ebay anyway to tell them of your story.  They may still be able to at least try to make contact with the seller for you maybe?  I don't know a lot about ebay and how it works but it would be worth a try.  Also if you did pay using paypal then give them a go as well to see if they can help.

celltx

• Leaving the nest
  • Male
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2011, 11:19:36 PM »

@ How did you pay? Paypal (although of course run by eBay) may have some options.

I've payed by Paypal, but the payment itself was in January. My daughter's birthday was in the end of February. Then, for two weeks it worked ok, sort of, with exception of long awakening time. Then it stopped. Once first contacted, the seller, music-in-life, was so polite and willing to help, answering all mails within 15min or so, I just felt I have no problem to exchange it and did not open the dispute.

to RedwoodsMama:

Thank you for the educating story! As far as I can tell, my Pleo was new. Packed straight. Manual, ID card, leaf, everything was in order. I had no suspicions.

By the way, there is another eBay seller from Hong Kong offering new Pleos for $199. His description says that every Pleo undergoes inspection by ex-Ugobe employee before being shipped. I'm not sure what it means, but if he switches the Pleo on and checks the beginning of hatching phase, it might look like the one you received - just a thought.

kat

• au Female
  • Pleo(s): Kermit (Pink RB), Norbit (Green RB), Pickle(nude RB), Gumble, Minyon and Frankie
    • Marvin_Martian
    • Kermit
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2011, 03:51:35 AM »

I have purchased a pleo from this other seller you mention the $199 new ugobe pleo.  I have to say that it is perfect in every way and came completely unhatched and as it should.  I would recommend them to anyone out there wanting to buy a Ugobe pleo. 
I'm sorry you had problems with your pleo purchase.  I hope you can get it sorted out or at least are able to get another pleo for your daughter.

celltx

• Leaving the nest
  • Male
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2011, 01:40:23 PM »

Kat, thanks for the recommendation! Based on it, I've just ordered the new Pleo from this seller. Hope this time I'll have more luck.

kat

• au Female
    • Marvin_Martian
    • Kermit
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2011, 05:15:31 PM »

Your welcome Celltx  :).  I hope it all works out well for you.  Best of luck and here's hoping your new pleo arrives soon.
Minyon my $199 pleo really is perfect in every way.  You get two green batteries with your pleo as well so twice as much run time, which I thought was a really nice touch form this seller too. (Although I do have a couple of egg batteries for my Ugobes and they are fantastic.  You get two hours or more run time from them each.)
Have fun.  I'm sure you won't be disappointed this time. :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal