Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Phantom Arrow  (Read 2078 times)

Sir Iron Soul

• Sugar cane harvester
  • Male
Phantom Arrow
« on: December 14, 2011, 01:51:22 PM »

Hi, I've started writing a book but hav eonky done the first chapter so far. I was hoping to get some constructive critisism and if it is worth carrying on.
                                                                  Thanks
                                                               Sir Iron Soul 

Phantom Arrow

Chapter 1

It all begins

In a field not far from the city of Dalen, there lived a small family, consisting of a husband, a wife and two children. Most people knew them as the O’ Neil family. A cheerful yet quiet family who didn’t seem to speak to anybody who lived in the city. They lived in a small log cabin which Theodrid built himself. Theodrid was husband to Anna-Lee and Father to Dreni and Greni.  Their cabin had five pane glass windows with silk curtains. At the Front there was a hand carved door split into four sections and in each section there was a golden eagle carved in with fine detail. The Golden Eagle symbolised that a trained hunter lived in the property. A hunter is a skilled bowman using many different types of arrows to deal significant damage to either an animal or foe. A hunter is more dangerous at a range but can still defend themselves in melee if need be. Theodrid made his living by hunting animals like bears and deer. He would either use the hunt to feed his family or sell them for money to the hunting lodge by Lake Maddel. He was a very successful hunter but what not many people knew was that he was also a skilled swordsman able to wield a broadsword without any trouble at all.
Theodrid had just come home from a long unsuccessful hunt in the dark depths of Gallowood. Downhearted and exhausted, he sat on his veranda on the front of the cabin with a mug of coffee, cleaning and sharpening his blade. As he was halfway through, he saw six men on horse back were riding towards the cabin. Sensing they weren’t coming over for tea, Theodrid quickly sheathed his sword, picked up his primary crossbow and headed towards them. Five of them were surrounding a tall man in the middle.
Theodrid instinctively thought the five other men were bodyguards. The five men were all medium build and looked as if they would be no match for Theodrid’s skill with a blade. The tall man on the other hand, was large with broad shoulders and perfect posture. He held his chin high showing he was more important than the other men. He had brown bushy eyebrows with a long scar going through the left one. He had both arms raised to one side wielding a broadsword. Theodrid seemed to recognise the tall man from somewhere before. He quickly cast that thought to the back of his mind and drew his crossbow and loaded it. Click. An iron bolt was launched into the first man skull. He screamed in pain as he fell off his horse and died. He instantly reloaded and aimed it at the second bodyguard. Click. A bolt went straight into his heart. He instantly died and slumped off his horse. With not enough time to shoot again slung the crossbow back onto his back and drew his sword. ”Two down, four to go” he thought to himself. The first of the remaining men galloped towards him. He jumped to the side and just managed to nick the horse leg with the tip of his sword. He didn’t touch the horse much but it was enough to make it topple over and crush the rider. Another bodyguard was coming towards him. He braced himself and met the guards’ sword. Almost being knocked off his feet, he had fended off the attack. He parried to the side and just missed being decapitated. The taller man was charging towards him on his black steed. With no time to parry, Theodrid meet his blade and with a clash of steel he was knocked clean off his feet and hit the floor with a crash. He stood up and one of the guards hit the back of his head with the pommel of his sword. Theodrid winced in pain and when he touched where he was hit, he realised he was bleeding. The tall man dismounted and faced Theodrid. Without hesitation, Theodrid charged at him, holding his sword high. He was a few metres away when he was stopped in his tracks when one of the bodyguards threw a rock straight at his temple.  When he hit the floor his vision went blurry and the sound was muffled and then he blacked out…

sweetReaper

• Pleo explorer
  • Female
Re: Phantom Arrow
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2011, 03:00:27 PM »

Being an english/writing major maybe I can be of some help :) I am sorry if this post ends up long or if I seem like I am being too picky or critical... but as a writer myself, I know how important this type of criticism is to producing great work :)

First off, you have some grammatical errors.

First off:

"Most people knew them as the O’ Neil family. A cheerful yet quiet family who didn’t seem to speak to anybody who lived in the city."

These two sentences should be combined, as the second is a fragment and does not function alone.  Also, try using more complex wording to break down wordy sentences into something with a more mature tone that suits the time of your story.

So, here is how I would chance up the lines above.

"Most people knew them as the O'Neil family, a cheerful yet quiet family who for some reason, were rarely ever seen socializing with their fellow city folk."

A few sentences later you typed "At the Front..." I believe the F should be lowercase. Also, you should specify "the front" more. Say something more along the lines of "At the front of the little cabin..."

In the same line it gets a little bit wordy again.

"...there was a hand carved door split into four sections and in each section there was a golden eagle carved in with fine detail."

Instead of using "and" to run the sentence onward, try to keep the sentence flowing without it. Here is an example of how you could make it work:

"...there was a hand-carved door split into four sections, with a finely detailed image of a golden eagle carved into each."

Also, are these sections you speak of panels? (4 squares - 2 top and 2 bottom" If so you might want to refer to them as such, if not then you are all set.

"The Golden Eagle symbolised that a trained hunter lived in the property."

Symbolized should have a "z" instead of an "s". Also, it would be "lived on the property" not "lived in the property", as you cannot live in property but on it haha

"A hunter is more dangerous at a range..."

You should change that to "Hunters are more dangerous at range"  to keep yourself from sounding repetitive from the last line and also keep a good rhythm. Also, don't forget to put commas after the word that comes before "but" (you forgot to in that line).

"Theodrid made his living by hunting animals like bears and deer"

When writing stories, never use "like" in this way. If you are showing examples of things he hunts then use "such as" in place of "like".

"He would either use the hunt to feed his family or sell them for money to the hunting lodge by Lake Maddel."

Being a hunter myself (falconry), our killings are never called "hunt" and I have never heard that term used before :\ Many hunters actually just refer to whatever they successfully hunted as their "kill" or the "bounty of the hunt".

I would re-write the line as follows:

"He would either use the bounty of each hunt to feed his family, or sell it to the hunting lodge by Lake Maddel to earn some money."

"He was a very successful hunter but what not many people knew was that he was also a skilled swordsman able to wield a broadsword without any trouble at all."

First off, don't forget your commas before each "but".

Here is how I would change that line:

"He was known for being a very skilled hunter. What many people did not know, was that he was also a very skilled swordsman, able to wield a broadsword without any trouble at all."

"Theodrid had just come home from a long unsuccessful hunt in the dark depths of Gallowood."

Comma should go after "long".

"As he was halfway through, he saw six men on horse back were riding towards the cabin."

Get rid of "were".

"Five of them were surrounding a tall man in the middle. "

This line should come right after the last line I corrected, as it is out of place where it is now.

"The five men were all medium build and looked as if they would be no match for Theodrid’s skill with a blade."

Instead of using "the five men" again, just say "They" to keep from being repetitive. Also, say "of a medium build" as it doesn't make too much sense at it is now.

"He held his chin high showing he was more important than the other men."

I would write this as:

"He held his chin high, giving off a sense of superiority over the other men".

"An iron bolt was launched into the first man skull"

Should be "first man's skull"

"He instantly reloaded and aimed it at the second bodyguard."

Instead of "he" say Theodrid, as it sounds like you are still talking about the bodyguard who fell off of his horse and died haha Also, get rid of the "it".

"With not enough time to shoot again slung the crossbow back onto his back and drew his sword."

Change to:

"With too little time to shoot again, Theodrid slung the crossbow across his back and drew his sword."

"He jumped to the side and just managed to nick the horse leg with the tip of his sword."

Should be "horse's leg".

"He braced himself and met the guards’ sword."

Should be "guard's".

"With no time to parry, Theodrid meet his blade and with a clash of steel"

Should be "met" not "meet".

"Theodrid winced in pain and when he touched where he was hit, he realised he was bleeding."

Change to:

"Theodrid winced in pain. He touched the place where he was hit and realized that he was bleeding."

And the home stretch! haha

"He was a few metres away when he was stopped in his tracks when one of the bodyguards threw a rock straight at his temple.  When he hit the floor his vision went blurry and the sound was muffled and then he blacked out… "

Change to:

"He was a few metres away, but was suddenly stopped in his tracks when a rock thrown by another bodyguard made contact with his (right or left - you choose) temple.

He felt shock radiate through his body as he hit the ground. His vision blurred and the sounds around him quickly became muffled beyond comprehension. Then, with a cruel darkness caving in on his vision, he blacked out."

Just watch your grammar and try to juice it up with come complex and time-appropriate wording. Get dramatic with it :P Overall, I really like the story and want to know what happens and why these people were coming to his cottage. Keep going!!

"Don't forget. Always, somewhere, someone is fighting for you. As long as you remember her, you are not alone." - Puella Magi Madoka Magica

Sir Iron Soul

• Sugar cane harvester
  • Male
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2011, 03:09:43 PM »

Thanks for all the advice ;D Gee i ddin't know my grammer was that bad, hehe. btw my uncle is also a hunter and i have heard him refer to his kill as the 'hunt' many times :D

Crewella

• Pleo Grand Master RB
  • gb Female
  • Pleo(s): Iggy, Budge, Moschops, Monty, Emmy. Belle, Zillah, Tribble
  • : 2010 winnerTomat Harvest Festivals
    • Ginger
    • Pepe_Le_Pew
    • Animal
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2011, 03:12:34 PM »

Wow - that was some post of Sweetreaper's!  :D

Overall, I agreed with it - nice story and action, but you need to work on the wording/grammar/flow a bit more.  Keep at it!  ;D

HOWEVER:   :P

Symbolised and not symbolized is appropriate in the UK - there are bound to be some US/UK differences!!!

« Last Edit: December 14, 2011, 03:16:38 PM by Crewella »

Sir Iron Soul

• Sugar cane harvester
  • Male
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2011, 03:30:00 PM »

I do believe that the wording/grammar mistakes ar edown to age, 13, and lack of experiance, although I am gifted for my age I'm not quite there yet.i really do appreciate all the corrections though. I have started chapter 2 but it looks like I will have to go back and rewrite chapter 1 first, hehe ;D

Crewella

• Pleo Grand Master RB
  • gb Female
  • Pleo(s): Iggy, Budge, Moschops, Monty, Emmy. Belle, Zillah, Tribble
  • : 2010 winnerTomat Harvest Festivals
    • Ginger
    • Pepe_Le_Pew
    • Animal
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2011, 03:39:16 PM »

You're doing fine Sir, ( :P), all writers have to go over and rewrite stuff!  You can learn the craft of it, the main part is having something to say! :)

InmemoryofRomeo

• Global Moderator
  • Pleo Grand Master RB
  • au Female
  • Pleo(s): Lilo, Stitch, Pleakley, Jumba, Nani, Yuki, Angus, Pluto
  • : 2011 winner2009 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
  • SAVE THE EARTH It's the only planet with chocolate
    • Professor
    • Wile_E_Coyote
    • Marcie
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2011, 03:43:39 PM »

Beat me to it Crewella ;) Symbolised, colour, centre etc are all perfectly acceptable British English examples.

Iron Soul, I know that when you write you have a certain picture in your head of a scene, but remember that your audience doesn't and you are responsible for taking them to the scene that you visualise. Don't forget to describe the sounds, smells and lighting along with key visual elements and background information. For example:

The Hunter's cottage was set back a little from the road, along a sunken cobblestone path and half hidden by an ancient, twisted oak that cast its gloomy shadow over the crumbling, mossy stone walls which jealously guarded the secrets behind the elaborately paneled door. The smell of woodsmoke drifted from the cottage chimney, coiling down in the still air to mask the smell of the rich, damp soil. The begrimed windows hid many secrets which it shared with the greying thatch that hung down as if to protect what lay within it's musty, dampening folds. The sounds of the men tilling the fields nearby were strangely muffled by the gloom and within the cottage there was only silence.

(Also I've written in past tense there, but present tense is usually better for writing stories.)
« Last Edit: December 14, 2011, 04:17:35 PM by InmemoryofRomeo »
Eagerly awaiting Vector and Blue!

fancyfont

• Cretaceous pleo master
  • us Female
  • Pleo(s): Peeky, Pennie, JayCamerasaurus (J.C.), LOA, baby and DinhaJo
  • : 2013 winner2011 winner2008 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
  • No, Peeky and Pennie, you can't have the Harley!
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2011, 09:12:44 PM »

I'm looking forward to the second chapter, Sir Iron Soul.  :)
How nice of you to share your time with a writer to be, Sweet Reaper. I enjoy learning about grammar, too! Where was I when grammar and punctuation were taught? :(
IMR, your students will be so lucky to have you.  :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal