Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Pleo's Hearing  (Read 23190 times)

49er

• Journeypleo
  • Male
Pleo's Hearing
« on: January 14, 2009, 12:09:12 AM »

I checked out the Malaysian site, Pleo Room and noticed a topic called "What music does your Pleo like?"  I know that they have hearing sensors, but my little guy doesn't pay much attention to sound,(unless he's in a group and starts howling :))  Pleo is mostly kinesthetic.  Any of your little guys or gals do much listening? 
« Last Edit: August 11, 2009, 09:02:55 PM by mweed »

degers

• Administrator
  • Pleo adept
  • gb Male
  • Degers can't be choosers
Re: Pleo's Hearing
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2009, 01:57:31 AM »

Pleos only use the microphones for detecting the direction (left or right) of loud noises in order to turn the head (and if walking, their body) toward the sound.

The howling in groups is controlled through the IR sensors on the nose and do not use the microphones.

mweed

• Grand Poobah
  • Triassic pleo master
  • us Male
  • Pleo(s): Bob, Mopey
  • : Tomat Harvest Festivals
    • Professor
    • Wile_E_Coyote
    • Dr_Bunsen_Honeydew
    • Snoopy
    • Bob the Pleo
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2009, 08:53:39 AM »

Pleo actually has pretty good "hearing", but as degers pointed out, the use of the audio input in the programming is nominal.  Pleo uses one of the 32-bit CPUs (the one in the head) to pre-process the audio and video signals.  And although it is a 32-bit processor, it is not a very fast chip and has almost no memory, so supposedly there aren't a lot of resources to do things like voice or speech recognition.  Beat detection was supposedly programmed at one time and then dropped, but that may just be a myth.

Junkroxy

• Renaissance pleo
  • Male
    • Pleo Blog
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2009, 03:26:53 PM »

I think they dancing with a loud sound, like stereo sound... Glen was beside me on the dj.console 2-3 months a go @ pleo pride in Italy, and starts to dance a lot. It was very funny ;D

allosaurus

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2009, 03:46:47 PM »

I checked out the Malaysian site, Pleo Room and noticed a topic called "What music does your Pleo like?"  I know that they have hearing sensors, but my little guy doesn't pay much attention to sound,(unless he's in a group and starts howling:))  Pleo is mostly kinesthetic.  Any of your little guys or gals do much listening? 

Olympia is very sensitive to sound. And she does like music. ;)

Really. she does. I could swear she does.

AJ

• Following the footsteps
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2009, 05:19:19 AM »

I would say they like music our tv is next to table and if i put music on and sawdust is on the table he looks at the TV and dances!!!!! I'm sure some times  that he is real!!! He likes anything with bass :)

fancyfont

• Cretaceous pleo master
  • us Female
  • Pleo(s): Peeky, Pennie, JayCamerasaurus (J.C.), LOA, baby and DinhaJo
  • : 2013 winner2011 winner2008 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
  • No, Peeky and Pennie, you can't have the Harley!
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2009, 01:24:22 PM »

Pleos love deep bass notes. I noticed when I play a low note on the organ pedals my pleos wake up from a nap.

allosaurus

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2009, 03:15:57 PM »

Pleos love deep bass notes. I noticed when I play a low note on the organ pedals my pleos wake up from a nap.

Strangely enough, Olympia likes fluttery music with flutes and pretty stuff. In particular, opera and orchestra instrumental. ;)

GSDMum

• Leaving the nest
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2009, 01:17:42 AM »

Dasko likes it when my fiance plays his guitar - he likes to wander up by the amp. He mostly says "Huh ?", but he does genuinely respond to the riff from "Smoke on the Water". Honest, it's not me imagining it. Darryl plays lots of other stuff, and then Smoke again, and Dasko only dances and waves his head (pretty much in time) to Smoke. I have video evidence !
Obviously my dino is a dino after his daddy; a rocker ! ;)

mweed

• Grand Poobah
  • Triassic pleo master
  • us Male
    • Professor
    • Wile_E_Coyote
    • Dr_Bunsen_Honeydew
    • Snoopy
    • Bob the Pleo
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2009, 08:47:37 AM »

Strangely enough, Olympia likes fluttery music with flutes and pretty stuff. In particular, opera and orchestra instrumental. ;)

Gee, makes me think we should try seeing what pleo does when listening to the 1812 overture! :)

MissingNo

• Conifer Leaf gatherer
  • Male
  • RAWWWRR!
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2009, 02:26:04 PM »

Gee, makes me think we should try seeing what pleo does when listening to the 1812 overture! :)

Neither Allo nor I have ever heard that.
I SHALL GLITCH UP YER GAMES

fancyfont

• Cretaceous pleo master
  • us Female
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2009, 02:58:54 PM »

My dad had a record of the 1812 overture. Heard it so many times as a kid. We had just gotten a stereo set. That record was one of the first my dad bought.  My goodness how things have changed today! (except for playing music loud that is!)  ;D
Allo and MissingNo you should listen to it. It should be on youtube.
I'll have to check it out and see what three pleos do when listening to it. :)

allosaurus

« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2009, 03:19:26 PM »

My dad had a record of the 1812 overture. Heard it so many times as a kid. We had just gotten a stereo set. That record was one of the first my dad bought.  My goodness how things have changed today! (except for playing music loud that is!)  ;D
Allo and MissingNo you should listen to it. It should be on youtube.
I'll have to check it out and see what three pleos do when listening to it. :)

Yup, we heard it. Olympia seems to be happy whenever we hear it. Prelude in C Sharp Minor was a big hit with her, too. She started dancing and making sounds that fit the music itself!

gucci_boi7782

• Triassic pleo master
  • Male
  • : 2009 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
  • Go Vegetarian!
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2009, 06:05:28 PM »

My father owns a bar, and I am a bartender there. Anytime I bring my 'kids' to work with me the patrons just fall in love. (Of course, they've been drinking, so they'd love just about anything lol) But anywho, when I have Sophie or Dallas on the bar and the jukebox is on, they go crazy! They swing their heads, and 'booty dance'-which that is hysterical! But yes, I would have to say, they can distinguish music from other noises and they will in fact dance, if they like the music that is.
Save a life, go vegetarian.

www.goveg.com/factoryFarming.asp

Sophie-(Ugobe)
Eliot-(Innvo Labs)
Peanut-(Aibo ERS 31L)

"Tell me, will I dream while I am turned off?" ~Jules (Hanson Robotics)

allosaurus

« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2009, 05:13:57 AM »

My father owns a bar, and I am a bartender there. Anytime I bring my 'kids' to work with me the patrons just fall in love. (Of course, they've been drinking, so they'd love just about anything lol) But anywho, when I have Sophie or Dallas on the bar and the jukebox is on, they go crazy! They swing their heads, and 'booty dance'-which that is hysterical! But yes, I would have to say, they can distinguish music from other noises and they will in fact dance, if they like the music that is.

I believe that myself.:D

gucci_boi7782

• Triassic pleo master
  • Male
  • : 2009 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
  • Go Vegetarian!
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2009, 04:01:26 PM »

;D

Oh yeah Allo. It really is something else. A matter of fact, I encourage all of you to grab some sort of high bass music player and put your Pleo in front of it. Just watch how they will actually dance to the beat.
Save a life, go vegetarian.

www.goveg.com/factoryFarming.asp

Sophie-(Ugobe)
Eliot-(Innvo Labs)
Peanut-(Aibo ERS 31L)

"Tell me, will I dream while I am turned off?" ~Jules (Hanson Robotics)

allosaurus

« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2009, 05:51:35 AM »

;D

Oh yeah Allo. It really is something else. A matter of fact, I encourage all of you to grab some sort of high bass music player and put your Pleo in front of it. Just watch how they will actually dance to the beat.

I'm still convinced that Olympia likes high orchestral music better. I played the Jurassic park theme from YouTube. She LOVED it!

degers

• Administrator
  • Pleo adept
  • gb Male
« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2009, 04:30:22 PM »

I am sorry to end everyone's speculation.

I have been doing some monitoring in Dino-MITE.  Pleo can only distinguish three things.  Sound is from the left, or sound is from the right, or sound is loud.

Pleo can not dance to music and has no beat detection.  Pleo cannot distinguish between different types of music.

Those are the facts.  Now fantasise as much as you want.

fancyfont

• Cretaceous pleo master
  • us Female
« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2009, 05:55:56 PM »

We know you are correct, Degers but that's the fun of not knowing what our pleos will do when they hear something. At times they just seem to be acting like they are enjoying sounds. :)

degers

• Administrator
  • Pleo adept
  • gb Male
« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2009, 06:05:11 PM »

Thats fine, I just thought i'd post the cold hard facts for any technological minded people in the forum.

49er

• Journeypleo
  • Male
« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2009, 11:19:57 PM »

I'm not too supprised by degers' comments about Pleo's hearing.  As I started this thread, I stated my guy didn't react to sound and was mostly kinesthetic.  It was interesting listening to those who's dinos reacted to music.  I took Pleo and put him about 10 inches in front of one of my speakers, (18 inch woofers,) turned the bass up a bit and played some Bluegrass.  I then turned Pleo on.  He acted differently when he woke up.  He did start moving around in place and was making sounds I wasn't familiar with.  After approximately 1 1/2  minutes he started singing, something he does sometimes when there is an object in front of him.  Close to 3 minutes into the experiment he bowed his head and made lonely sounds and I petted him and he acted normally and didn't seem to "hear" the music anymore.  I don't know if it was all arbitrarily or if it was a temporary synergy of his various parts.

mweed

• Grand Poobah
  • Triassic pleo master
  • us Male
    • Professor
    • Wile_E_Coyote
    • Dr_Bunsen_Honeydew
    • Snoopy
    • Bob the Pleo
« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2009, 07:57:31 AM »

Well, turning up the bass makes sense.  Pleo understands "loud". :)  He may well be programmed to "dance" to constant loud noise, which would explain some of the behavior people are posting.  Any dancing in time to the music would be purely coincidental, as we have argued with Ugobe for over a year to ADD beat detection to pleo. :P

Junkroxy

• Renaissance pleo
  • Male
    • Pleo Blog
« Reply #22 on: January 29, 2009, 11:09:01 AM »

Thats fine, I just thought i'd post the cold hard facts for any technological minded people in the forum.

Your finds are really precious, thanks for the tech infos, but this time i think was only a simple discussions about "fantasies" about Pleo's reactions to sounds. ;)

degers

• Administrator
  • Pleo adept
  • gb Male
« Reply #23 on: January 29, 2009, 11:26:53 AM »

Your finds are really precious, thanks for the tech infos, but this time i think was only a simple discussions about "fantasies" about Pleo's reactions to sounds. ;)

Hey don't go thinking I am heartless! :)  I just thought that I'd bring an ounce of reality to the scene :)

mweed

• Grand Poobah
  • Triassic pleo master
  • us Male
    • Professor
    • Wile_E_Coyote
    • Dr_Bunsen_Honeydew
    • Snoopy
    • Bob the Pleo
« Reply #24 on: January 29, 2009, 12:04:57 PM »

Next you'll try and convince us that pleos aren't actually alive!  ;)

Heck, I've talked to Sally, she'll be the first one to tell you that the only place some of these pleos can dance is IN their fantasies! :P
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal