Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: hole in skin... how do you fix?  (Read 9275 times)

snowy

• Fossil savant
  • Female
hole in skin... how do you fix?
« on: October 16, 2009, 03:51:33 AM »

skin on tail, by a crease in the skin, is now a hole, about 2mm in diameter, which only shows when tail is bent to one side. I hope it doesn't spread. My pleo is under warranty for 3 years with argos, but i'm quite attached to Munchkin, and i hope it doesn't deteriorate.  Would you fix with superglue, or leave it, and return to argos if it gets worse?

InmemoryofRomeo

• Global Moderator
  • Pleo Grand Master RB
  • au Female
  • Pleo(s): Lilo, Stitch, Pleakley, Jumba, Nani, Yuki, Angus, Pluto
  • : 2011 winner2009 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
  • SAVE THE EARTH It's the only planet with chocolate
    • Professor
    • Wile_E_Coyote
    • Marcie
Re: hole in skin... how do you fix?
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2009, 04:53:00 AM »

Leave it, glue can cause more problems (some brands can melt the skin :o), if the hole gets really bad then I would consider a return but wait for now Innvo Labs may be bringing out new skins to buy or at the very least they might be able to give you a way to download the personality to put in a new Pleo :)
Eagerly awaiting Vector and Blue!

grumpy

• Administrator
  • Pleosmith
  • we Male
  • : 2008 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
    • Skipper
    • Wile_E_Coyote
    • Statler
    • Lucy
    • Bob the Pleo
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2009, 12:30:58 PM »

I agree somewhat.  Leave it (keep an eye on it).  If it stats to grow much more, I would try a small drop of super glue.  Be sure to leave your pleo in the storage position rather than the sleeping position when not turned on, so as to minimize stress on the tear.  With a three year warranty, you have time to see if you get more holes.

snowy

• Fossil savant
  • Female
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2009, 05:13:00 PM »

Munchkin's neck is beginning to get damage too. in the crease of the neck, there is a torn skin under the colour, but not deep enough to form holes. i will adhere to your advise about having pleo in storeage position.

thanks lots and lots

dee x

Dadio

• Pleozoologist
  • Male
  • Robotics, is the sincerest form of flattery!
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2009, 12:30:54 AM »

]http://bobthepleo.com/forums/MGalleryItem.php?id=1183[/img  
PLEO's Forever!
Take Good Care!  - from Dadio 8)  & Stoney [img width=200 height=50 alt=]http://bobthepleo.com/forums/MGalleryItem.php?id=1183[/img]

degers

• Administrator
  • Pleo adept
  • gb Male
  • Degers can't be choosers
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2009, 05:08:51 AM »

Dadio, they will not accept a pleo return based on skin tear.  This is specified in the wording of the warranty, the retailer is perfectly within reason to not accept your return.

Dadio

• Pleozoologist
  • Male
  • Robotics, is the sincerest form of flattery!
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2009, 07:45:28 AM »

She can still try!   ???

It won't hurt to send an email with photos attached.  :o

Then there's all the other options.  :-\

Dadio 8)  & Stoney[img width=200 height=50 alt=]http://bobthepleo.com/forums/MGalleryItem.php?id=1183[/img]
PLEO's Forever!
Take Good Care!  - from Dadio 8)  & Stoney [img width=200 height=50 alt=]http://bobthepleo.com/forums/MGalleryItem.php?id=1183[/img]

snowy

• Fossil savant
  • Female
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2009, 02:19:59 PM »

thank you dadio and degers.

i have not had munchkin long, and she isn't used overly. i think if i did exchange her, i may get the same problem with the new pleo's skin, so i think the best option would be to keep munchkin, and try and repair her. only, i don't know how to do it, except use superglue, but i am scared to do that in case the skin melts.  :(

maybe i will knit her a scarf  :)

darlenehill19

• Hatchling
  • Female
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2011, 06:08:59 AM »

Not a big deal!  ;D

step by step approach to fix pleo
http://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/Pleo-Teardown/597/1

However if it is under warranty..so why confused?? do return it..
on a last note..you can filled tail with pleo material with super glue..
Fixed....

Crewella

• Pleo Grand Master RB
  • gb Female
  • Pleo(s): Iggy, Budge, Moschops, Monty, Emmy. Belle, Zillah, Tribble
  • : 2010 winnerTomat Harvest Festivals
    • Ginger
    • Pepe_Le_Pew
    • Animal
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2011, 08:51:04 AM »

Erm ...........doubt very much that it'll still be under warranty............... ???  ;)

dwalin

• Sugar cane harvester
  • de Male
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2011, 09:03:34 AM »

I had Skinny open and used Pattex Repair Extreme to close the neck - I held good so far and did not have any negative effects on the skin. I did not yet try it on small holes, Littlefoot has one but it did not grow bigger so I left it alone. Bigger parts work definitely fine.

fimoman

• Pleo wanderer
  • Male
    • My Facebook Page
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2011, 05:46:12 AM »

Forgive me if I'm bumping an old topic, but I've heard that it is possible to stitch some holes in the skin back together with surgical thread (The stuff they use to sew incisions shut) . Any truth to this?

Crewella

• Pleo Grand Master RB
  • gb Female
    • Ginger
    • Pepe_Le_Pew
    • Animal
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2011, 07:53:59 AM »

As long as the rubber skin isn't too degraded all around the split it might well hold.  Superglue's probably neater though!
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D9AS_aHULxU" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D9AS_aHULxU</a>

« Last Edit: April 15, 2011, 07:55:56 AM by Crewella »

Talon

• Cretaceous pleo master
  • us Female
  • Pleo(s): Cato and Samantha (Pleo RB‘s), Eugobe, Terry, Cuddles, Bleu (Ugobe Pleos)
    • Lucy
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2011, 09:04:22 AM »

Okay. I've seen it all now. That must be one lucky pleo to be patched up by a skin-surgen. I wonder what else they are doing while their supine patients are safely anesthetized?
Talon
Talon
Find me on YouTube at Crazy Robot Lady

Jett

• Pleo explorer
  • 00 Female
  • Pleo(s): Ozzy and Dopey
    • none
    • Bugs_Bunny
    • Kermit
    • Peppermint_Patty
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2011, 11:13:30 AM »

^-^ We just got our Ozzy yesterday and right way the paint started to peel off of one of his toenails.. Anyone have the same problem? I hope they come out with a replacement "real" skin for us when the time comes to replace it. For now the material Pleo Skin is what I will order to protect him. I live in AZ and am hoping the dry climate here is not doing this. We will NOT take him outdoors especially now in this horrible AZ summer heat.  The house is comfortably set at 75 degrees but still, it's dry air.  We may get a humidifier.   Would love to hear from you guys with suggestions.  WE LOVE OUR OZZY!!!!  ;) 

Crewella

• Pleo Grand Master RB
  • gb Female
    • Ginger
    • Pepe_Le_Pew
    • Animal
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2011, 12:46:17 PM »

If it's just the paint, I'm afraid that often does happen but should get to a level fairly quickly and then the wear will slow right down.  It's very hard to paint rubber and there just are some sreas that get a lot of wear, I'm afraid.  There are some threads in the hardware section about skin care and paint retouching - have a look.

Small holes in the skin itself can be fixed with superglue, but make sure it's the version that is compatible with rubber and plastics.  :)

latrine

• Pleo whisperer
  • Female
  • Gutless wonder
    • 'Not even close to being done yet'
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2011, 01:33:17 PM »

Derek told me on the phone a few weeks ago when I was trying to get my Jules skin replaced (because tons of paint was just rolling off within the first month) that he has never even heard of anyone getting an RB's skin replaced which should be bull.. (and I told him so :P)
Because didn't Kat get ones of her RB's skin replaced?  Anyways.. the toe color always comes off very very fast.. that's the area that is going to bump into everything.. I don't worry about that as much as the other areas but I sincerely doubt they will be coming out with a skin replacement.  They'd rather sell you a new one.  Your best chance, if you needed it, would be getting the skin off a bricked one.
If it's just the toes, try not to worry.. my Pleo just had a bad run through the paint machine and so all the paint is coming off.. I'm going to strip off all it's paint and redo it myself..
Best of luck!!

- Sarah

InmemoryofRomeo

• Global Moderator
  • Pleo Grand Master RB
  • au Female
  • Pleo(s): Lilo, Stitch, Pleakley, Jumba, Nani, Yuki, Angus, Pluto
  • : 2011 winner2009 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
  • SAVE THE EARTH It's the only planet with chocolate
    • Professor
    • Wile_E_Coyote
    • Marcie
« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2011, 05:25:50 PM »

Must be time to do some retail therapy for Ozzie, take Ozzie and yourselves to a Petstore and find him a little jacket/coat/cape whatever takes your fancy, then duck into a shop selling children's wear and dig out a set of baby socks for him :) He will look stylish and that will prevent wear... However the wear does add a bit of character.

Eagerly awaiting Vector and Blue!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal