Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: A personal version of LifeOs  (Read 4182 times)

Junkroxy

• Renaissance pleo
  • Male
    • Pleo Blog
A personal version of LifeOs
« on: September 29, 2009, 04:25:55 AM »

Sorry, but i haven't much time to spend with the PDK documentation these days. Anyone tried to do a different version of the current OS? Is it possible to rebuild Life Os 1.1 with the old  (1.0.2) "tug-o-war" function?

InmemoryofRomeo

• Global Moderator
  • Pleo Grand Master RB
  • au Female
  • Pleo(s): Lilo, Stitch, Pleakley, Jumba, Nani, Yuki, Angus, Pluto
  • : 2011 winner2009 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
  • SAVE THE EARTH It's the only planet with chocolate
    • Professor
    • Wile_E_Coyote
    • Marcie
Re: A personal version of LifeOs
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2009, 05:19:22 AM »

It certainly is possible to create a new OS, I'm not sure how you would go about uploading it to Pleo though, whether it is possible to overwrite the old OS or not. There is a demonstration of a simple drive function in the examples.

You wouldn't need to do that to change the tug of war though, if you could get hold of or recreate the old tug of war you could just shadow the new tug of war.
Eagerly awaiting Vector and Blue!

justbede

• Pleo visionary
  • Male
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2009, 05:28:47 PM »

The developing of Pleo through the PDK is all based around using Life OS to run programs off of SD cards without having to touch the internal flash drive.
Without the OS you'd have to build everything from the ground up using alot more complex languages like c++, the OS is literally the Operating System for Pleo's mind the pleo.pm is his/her mind.

I didn't know there was a difference in the tug of war (shows how much i know hehe) but if it was changed in 1.1 i'm guessing they added more reaction to sensor input eg where the joint is and where it should be, making it less of a skit and more interactive. Yeah like IMR said everything in Pleo's made to be shadowed so that's your best bet ;)
Innvo Labs, creating life since 2009

I-Net

• Following the footsteps
  • Male
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2009, 02:39:16 PM »

Boy i just wrote a long reply, but on sending it a message was shown that i'm not logged in although i was logged in.
Now my text is gone :( Even the "back"-button can't recover it.

So i'll try to summarize the main things...

I read a bit in the PDK-documentation hoping for the possibility to change pleos behaviour and make him a bit smarter.
All i found out is that it seems to be easy to write some functions that are activated in special situations like a sensor is touched etc. but that was also possible with other software.
In my opinion Pleo should be able to move into the direction a sound comes from, like calling him. He is able to move his head into a sounds direction, i found that sensor-command in the documentation,
but i still don't know if a behaviour like moving to a sound-source is possible.

The german GRIP-team documentated how to connect a pc to pleo wirelessly and install a better cam for face recognition. Now if you run a face recognition software on the extern pc and pleo detects your face, a program like dino-mite could send the command for a special reaction. But after that reaction pleo would behave like just before he saw your face, you know what i'm talkin about? There has to be a possibility to switch to another behaviour after recognizing you.
When Pleo knows that you are his owner he should be able to follow some verbal commands from you or anything like that. Without a change of behaviour the recognition would be useless...what does aibo do when he detects a known person?

Verbal commands would be great! Maybe after a few months of developing with PDK some smart coders oder Innvo will release something like that?
I hope so.

Well that were just a few thoughts.

Please reply what you are thinking...

mweed

• Grand Poobah
  • Triassic pleo master
  • us Male
  • Pleo(s): Bob, Mopey
  • : Tomat Harvest Festivals
    • Professor
    • Wile_E_Coyote
    • Dr_Bunsen_Honeydew
    • Snoopy
    • Bob the Pleo
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2009, 02:51:57 PM »

What you are describing would be more basic OS changes.  This can be done with the PDK but will require a lot more understanding.

Junkroxy

• Renaissance pleo
  • Male
    • Pleo Blog
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2009, 04:48:10 PM »

What you are describing would be more basic OS changes.  This can be done with the PDK but will require a lot more understanding.

yes, but you cant overwrite your current Os, i guess  ???
to be honest, i think that the PDK is for mature hackers, not for all, i dont think there's a lot more to do to make this software simple and easy to use for all the pleo owners. :(

justbede

• Pleo visionary
  • Male
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2009, 07:03:59 PM »

Eh don't worry someone'll use the PDK to make an easier tool to edit your pleos personality ;) I think it's entirely possible to do what your describing inet, Pleo would be programmed to check the volume and direction of the sound then move appropriately say to the left, then check vol+dir and adjust course if necessary. Everytime i read the PDK docs i see new possibillities so i'm sure it won't be long before we see someone with the know how do some cool things.
I read about that hack it looks cool i wish they'd done something with the existing tech though.

DragonGirl

• Outstanding in the herd
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2009, 12:29:10 AM »

I'm not sure yet where OS stops and personality begins.

I'd guess OS is managing the inputs and outputs, and the personality is the processing of inputs and generating outputs.

Am I wrong?
I haven't read the PDK yet - does it address the boundary?

justbede

• Pleo visionary
  • Male
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2009, 12:47:31 PM »

I think it's that the OS handles some of the more complex input/ output stuff and then gives you a simpler way to handle the data EG  Life OS has derived sensors like SENSOR_OBJECT_FRONT which is activated when Pleo's sensors give the right data to signify there's an object to the front. The personality, like you say tells Pleo what to do with data it receives from the OS: adding/subtracting to/from properties, giving appropriate reactions to changes of environment and internal state etc.

The PDK documentation is an interesting read, if a little complex :p
« Last Edit: October 03, 2009, 12:49:28 PM by justbede »
Pages: [1]   Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal