Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Five personal messages per hour ~_~'  (Read 2084 times)

allosaurus

Five personal messages per hour ~_~'
« on: August 18, 2009, 06:07:27 PM »

Can someone explain why we need this here? It's SOOOO annoying! Can we lengthen it to ten? I understand that it keeps away spam, but seriously..... I don't think inbox-spam is that much of a problem here, as opposed to a certain other site that I won't mention its name! And no, it's not PleoWorld... *shifty eyes* But anyways, pleeeeeease fix the limit! I can't take it! :o

To quote my idol, Yuffie: Gawd, I could just die!!!

gucci_boi7782

• Triassic pleo master
  • Male
  • : 2009 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
  • Go Vegetarian!
Re: Five personal messages per hour ~_~'
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2009, 06:54:50 PM »

PECULIAR!! I had no idea it was like that....
Save a life, go vegetarian.

www.goveg.com/factoryFarming.asp

Sophie-(Ugobe)
Eliot-(Innvo Labs)
Peanut-(Aibo ERS 31L)

"Tell me, will I dream while I am turned off?" ~Jules (Hanson Robotics)

InmemoryofRomeo

• Global Moderator
  • Pleo Grand Master RB
  • au Female
  • Pleo(s): Lilo, Stitch, Pleakley, Jumba, Nani, Yuki, Angus, Pluto
  • : 2011 winner2009 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
  • SAVE THE EARTH It's the only planet with chocolate
    • Professor
    • Wile_E_Coyote
    • Marcie
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2009, 08:13:52 PM »

Me either, I've never sent more than one or two PM's a day :P
Eagerly awaiting Vector and Blue!

grumpy

• Administrator
  • Pleosmith
  • we Male
  • : 2008 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
    • Skipper
    • Wile_E_Coyote
    • Statler
    • Lucy
    • Bob the Pleo
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2009, 08:45:19 PM »

Well, again, it's like the shoutbox and the posting limits.  It never occurred to the people writing FORUM software that people would use it as their primary form of personal EMAIL.  I would guess that with email, instant messaging, chat rooms, and such that they figured people didn't need to use the PM part of the system for heavy interactive communications, and that people who were actively exchanging dialog would move to a more convenient tool like exchanging email or IM.  So, the only reason someone would be sending lots of PMs must be bad, and should therefore be stopped . . . hence the default limit of 5 PMs per hour.  Which is actually a higher limit for allo than most people have.  For members who haven't posted much, the limit is something like only 5 a DAY!!)

Which means I guess a little detail on how this software handles PMs might be helpful . . . .

First off, PM stands for "Personal Message" not private message.  Anyone believing that the messages sent using this system are "private", please be advised!!!  They are not.   That's not to say they are as public as the posts, just not openly shared.  Think of them like the Fantasy Board; hidden from most but easily read by those who know about it.

Second, everything in the forums is pretty much the same thing.  It's one big common system.  You post messages to topics on boards.  The gallery is just photos as messages posted to albums as topics on member names as boards.  The new mall and store fronts are just locked messages and the storefront is a topic, and the mall is just a board.  Likewise, your PM are just another message and your inbox is just another board.  Every PM ever sent is stored away in the database along with all the posts.  Even when you delete a message from your inbox, it is still in the database.  It's just not displayed for you.  So every message you send is saved for posterity and takes up space and gets backed up to my personal hard drive every so often.  So sending thousands of PMs may not show up in the post count, but it still bogs down the system, and really isn't what we want.

Third, the system does allow you to get an email when you get a PM.  The system basically sends a copy of the PM to your registered email address, if you checked that option.  BUT the ISP we're using limits the number of outgoing messages from the server.  So, if people send lots of PMs to people who have opted in on the email notification, the outgoing email limit might be reached, and further emails would not get sent.  So it is possible that I might not get a notification from the server about a problem or someone trying to notify an admin of an issue because too many PMs were sent earlier in the day.  (This has never been an issue, and I doubt it will, but it could . . . the server limit is only 200 per day, so if several people were sending numerous PMs, it could be reached.)

So, with that said, has anyone other than all had a problem with the 5 PMs an hour limit?  I can raise it if there is a real need.

Darkwolf

• Pleozoologist
  • Male
  • Robots rule!
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2009, 04:59:17 AM »

I never received a PM from anyone ever nor do I ever send PM's to people, except for a few small exceptions in the past.
There is nothing hush hush going on and I like reading all the communications on the forum, that is sufficient for me! :)
Proud owner of my beloved Pluriel (Pleo) and Diesel (Aibo ERS-7M3)

gucci_boi7782

• Triassic pleo master
  • Male
  • : 2009 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
  • Go Vegetarian!
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2009, 12:29:15 PM »

....you can read all of our PMs, Mweed?!?!  ??? ??? ??? ???
Save a life, go vegetarian.

www.goveg.com/factoryFarming.asp

Sophie-(Ugobe)
Eliot-(Innvo Labs)
Peanut-(Aibo ERS 31L)

"Tell me, will I dream while I am turned off?" ~Jules (Hanson Robotics)

mweed

• Grand Poobah
  • Triassic pleo master
  • us Male
  • Pleo(s): Bob, Mopey
  • : Tomat Harvest Festivals
    • Professor
    • Wile_E_Coyote
    • Dr_Bunsen_Honeydew
    • Snoopy
    • Bob the Pleo
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2009, 01:37:10 PM »

I don't bother to.  But I can, and all your past PMs are all archived here.  Did you ever read George Orwell's 1984?   You gotta realize pretty much anything yo do online goes through at least two ISPs, either one of which could be eavesdropping, and every single transaction is stored numerous times as the packets of info that make up your web surfing and email are shuffled around the world.  So the only true hope of "privacy" is to lead such a boring life that big brother doesn't care to waste his time watching you . . . ;)

So, like I said, I don't bother to read anybody's PMs . . . unless an issue (or a lawyer) comes up.  So you have your privacy, but I was always told in business, NEVER to put ANYTHING into a message that I wouldn't want said in public.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal