Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Claws and Maws Prehistory Education  (Read 13598 times)

allosaurus

Claws and Maws Prehistory Education
« on: August 01, 2009, 06:50:12 AM »

It's a learning club I'm founding, if anyone would like to join in post here. We will learn about prehistory, from the permo-Triassic to the Ice Age. I will "tutor" you in a way, and give you interesting facts that no one really knows! We will learn much more about some of the lesser-known dinosaurs (Shuvuuia, Amargosaurus, Stokesosaurus, etc), as well as some of the more famous dinosaurs (Tyrannosaurus, Iguanodon, Apatosaurus), and correct false thoughts on some dinosaurs ("Brontosaurus," Dilophosaurus, Velociraptor).

So, as soon as I get enough people, we'll start the class! ^^

*WARNING* I will talk about evolution. If you can't tolerate it, don't take the class.

Pleo Power

• Pleosmith
  • 00 Male
  • Pleo(s): Cammey, Cloey, Copper
  • : Tomato Harvest Festivals
Re: Claws and Maws Prehistory Education
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2009, 07:17:48 AM »

And allo made me the sub-teacher. ;)  ((and Ive heard of all of those Dino's before.))
« Last Edit: August 01, 2009, 07:59:38 AM by Pleo Power »

allosaurus

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2009, 11:34:55 AM »

..SO if anyone would like to join.....

Pleo Power

• Pleosmith
  • 00 Male
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2009, 04:21:17 PM »

Pleas Post it here.      ((and allo, do we do the lessons here?  and how many Pleople* do we need to start?  and are those the only Dino's were teaching about?))

(* that's not a typo ;))

allosaurus

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2009, 04:44:39 PM »

Pleas Post it here.      ((and allo, do we do the lessons here?  and how many Pleople* do we need to start?  and are those the only Dino's were teaching about?))

(* that's not a typo ;))

Yes, classes will be here. i'd like three or more to start off. no, we won't jsut be teaching about dinosaurs.

Pleo Power

• Pleosmith
  • 00 Male
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2009, 05:08:48 PM »

No, there are the Killer fish of the Devonian, and the giant bugs of the Devonian., and the mammal like reptiles of the Triassic,(I think that's the term for them.) and the pterosaurs, and the aquatic reptiles, and the giant mammals of the ice age.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2009, 05:54:08 PM by Pleo Power »

allosaurus

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2009, 05:10:03 PM »

No, there are the Killer fish of the Devonian, and the giant bugs of the Devonian., and the mammal like reptiles of the Triassic.(I think that's the term for them.), and the pterosaurs. and the aquatic reptiles, and the giant mammals of the ice age.

Yeah! We'll also be talking about ice age critters too, mammuthus and smilodon and ancyclotherium and the evolution of human beings.

InmemoryofRomeo

• Global Moderator
  • Pleo Grand Master RB
  • au Female
  • Pleo(s): Lilo, Stitch, Pleakley, Jumba, Nani, Yuki, Angus, Pluto
  • : 2011 winner2009 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
  • SAVE THE EARTH It's the only planet with chocolate
    • Professor
    • Wile_E_Coyote
    • Marcie
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2009, 06:42:16 PM »

I will be the quiet mouse who sits in the corner of the class and always gets straight A's even though I don't contribute much to 'class' discussions.

We should start with Camarasauruses first of course.
Eagerly awaiting Vector and Blue!

allosaurus

« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2009, 05:18:23 AM »

I say we should start with the beasts before the dinosaurs.

mweed

• Grand Poobah
  • Triassic pleo master
  • us Male
  • Pleo(s): Bob, Mopey
  • : Tomat Harvest Festivals
    • Professor
    • Wile_E_Coyote
    • Dr_Bunsen_Honeydew
    • Snoopy
    • Bob the Pleo
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2009, 02:03:01 PM »

Oh, you mean like God, who created the dinosaurs . . .  ;)

Protoceratops

« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2009, 02:17:28 PM »

Hey! I'm usually the mouse! I don't get strait A's though...  ;D

allosaurus

« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2009, 04:12:08 PM »

Oh, you mean like God, who created the dinosaurs . . .  ;)

I was thinking of Haikouicthys and Brontoscorpio and Hyneria and such. XD

Pleo Power

• Pleosmith
  • 00 Male
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2009, 05:07:26 PM »

I was thinking of Haikouicthys and Brontoscorpio and Hyneria and such. XD
What, What, and What? ???   (cant remember, I think I might have herd about them.  if they are some of the mammal like reptiles.)

Oh, you mean like God, who created the dinosaurs . . . ;)
and don't ferget all the creachers that can fly and swim, then the Dino's and other land dwelling animals. ;)

InmemoryofRomeo

• Global Moderator
  • Pleo Grand Master RB
  • au Female
    • Professor
    • Wile_E_Coyote
    • Marcie
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2009, 06:23:01 PM »

For those interested in life before the Dino's then I would suggest hiring/buying Walking with Monsters :) Then you can move onto Walking with Dinosaurs, Walking with Beasts (life after the dino's)  and I also strongly recommend Sea Monsters (with Nigel Marvin, not the National Geographic one) and the Ballad of Big Al. You can pick up the complete Walking with... trilogy for under $40 these days. Its called the Monster box set here, not sure about in the US though. Walking with Cavemen is another however it was not done by the same team as the others and I find that it lacks the 'wow' factor of the rest of the series.

This vid combines snippets from the Walking with trilogy:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7b9kEv47R8U" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7b9kEv47R8U</a>

Pleo Power

• Pleosmith
  • 00 Male
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2009, 08:45:40 PM »

For those interested in life before the Dino's then I would suggest hiring/buying Walking with Monsters  Then you can move onto Walking with Dinosaurs, Walking with Beasts (life after the Dino's)  and I also strongly recommend Sea Monsters (with Nigel Marvin, not the National Geographic one) and the Ballad of Big Al. You can pick up the complete Walking with... trilogy for under $40 these days. Its called the Monster box set here, not sure about in the US though. Walking with Cavemen is another however it was not done by the same team as the others and I find that it lacks the 'wow' factor of the rest of the series
  Ive got all of those on DVD, except the cavemen one. ;)   I saw a few bits of it on TV and it just seemed like a dumb sopeopera with those guys from (Insert name of car insurance company that has driven the Cavemen slogen into the ground way to many times, name in here. ;)).   and I first saw Walking with Dinosaurs on its original broadcast in the US way back in 1999 (taped of the TV, because it was on to late then) and the Sea Monsters is good, but the Chased by dinosaurs is beater, because it has Sea Monsters plus two more Nigel Dino documentaries on it(If I'm correct, the one I have has them anyways.)  and don't ferget Prehistoric Park. ;) (also with Nigel)

InmemoryofRomeo

• Global Moderator
  • Pleo Grand Master RB
  • au Female
    • Professor
    • Wile_E_Coyote
    • Marcie
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2009, 09:24:46 PM »

I omitted prehistoric park just because it isn't as factual as the others, but it is great fun to watch :)

allosaurus

« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2009, 04:54:38 AM »

For those interested in life before the Dino's then I would suggest hiring/buying Walking with Monsters :) Then you can move onto Walking with Dinosaurs, Walking with Beasts (life after the dino's)  and I also strongly recommend Sea Monsters (with Nigel Marvin, not the National Geographic one) and the Ballad of Big Al. You can pick up the complete Walking with... trilogy for under $40 these days. Its called the Monster box set here, not sure about in the US though. Walking with Cavemen is another however it was not done by the same team as the others and I find that it lacks the 'wow' factor of the rest of the series.

This vid combines snippets from the Walking with trilogy:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7b9kEv47R8U" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7b9kEv47R8U</a>

Trust me, that series is rather inaccurate.

Pleo Power

• Pleosmith
  • 00 Male
« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2009, 09:35:42 AM »

Reilly?!? ??? all of them? ???  Walking with Monsters, Walking with Dinosaurs, Walking with Beasts, Chased by dinosaurs, Ballad of Big Al, and Prehistoric Park are all inaccurate?!?! :o ???

allosaurus

« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2009, 01:27:54 PM »

Reilly?!? ??? all of them? ???  Walking with Monsters, Walking with Dinosaurs, Walking with Beasts, Chased by dinosaurs, Ballad of Big Al, and Prehistoric Park are all inaccurate?!?! :o ???

Ballad of Big Al had issues with feathers, the "horn" on the Ornitholestes' nose, and the way the hands were set on the other animals. Walking with Monsters series has all those, and still many more anatomical issues, as well as issues with time period and area. Prehistoric Park has about a million inaccuracies, though I still find it enjoyable to watch. Dino Lab and Dino lab II are fairly accuarte, but again feather problems and the way the hands are set in, and as most shows do, they switch about facts on Tyrannosaurus to make them seem "even more awesome."

Pleo Power

• Pleosmith
  • 00 Male
« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2009, 04:54:01 PM »

Dino Lab and Dino lab II are fairly accuarte
there was a secand one. :o  Drat I missed it. ???  when was it on?

they switch about facts on Tyrannosaurus to make them seem "even more awesome."
 well most of them do, but one at the end showed a T.rex with feathers and bright colors, and it looked like some kind of escapee from the lab in the game Dino Island. ???  

but what about Dino plaint, Jurassic fight club, When Dinosaurs roamed America, and the other See monsters(its a National geographic one, no Nigel) are they inaccurate? ???

and we just nead one more to start. ;)  
« Last Edit: August 04, 2009, 04:57:16 PM by Pleo Power »

allosaurus

« Reply #20 on: August 04, 2009, 04:57:16 PM »

BBC's Sea MonstersPrehistoric Adventure is amazing, awesome, breathtaking, and extremely accurate anotamy-wise. However, not all the creatures live in the same time or area.

Jurassic Fight Club is mostly accurate, but it has the hand and feather problems and forgets a lot of advantages and disadvantages many prehistoric beasts have, and they normally pit eachother against popularity to probably avoid a mess of stupid fans saying that their fave should've won because its "so awesome."

Protoceratops

« Reply #21 on: August 04, 2009, 05:05:26 PM »

is wildmagic in the class?

Pleo Power

• Pleosmith
  • 00 Male
« Reply #22 on: August 04, 2009, 05:15:55 PM »

BBC's Sea MonstersPrehistoric Adventure is amazing, awesome, breathtaking, and extremely accurate anotamy-wise. However, not all the creatures live in the same time or area.
I haven't seen that one. (yet) but I've got the game.(and I've finished it. ;))

Jurassic Fight Club is mostly accurate, but it has the hand and feather problems and forgets a lot of advantages and disadvantages many prehistoric beasts have, and they normally pit eachother against popularity to probably avoid a mess of stupid fans saying that their fave should've won because its "so awesome."
 well some of them did happen because the fossils were found.(Like the Deinonychus VS the Tenontosaurus one)
and the one "BLOODIEST BATTLE" was just a bit of the daily Train wreck that hapans on a Predator trap.        and the end of the "T-REX HUNTER" one is what a mother T.rex would do is she found a smaller carnivore trying to kill her baby's.

@ Protoceratops, I think so.    (wildmagic are you?)

allosaurus

« Reply #23 on: August 04, 2009, 05:23:30 PM »

I haven't seen that one. (yet) but I've got the game.(and I've finished it. ;))

I've finished the game, too! It's awesome! Y'know, if you go to the shallows just south of the central hub, there's an island with a palm tree on it. use Nothosaurus and walk through it.... And the result will be a surprise. Just try it and see if it works. ;)

InmemoryofRomeo

• Global Moderator
  • Pleo Grand Master RB
  • au Female
    • Professor
    • Wile_E_Coyote
    • Marcie
« Reply #24 on: August 04, 2009, 07:27:11 PM »

Reilly?!?  all of them?   Walking with Monsters, Walking with Dinosaurs, Walking with Beasts, Chased by dinosaurs, Ballad of Big Al, and Prehistoric Park are all inaccurate?!?! 

Yes they are inaccurate now, although at the time they did their best with what information was available. Palaeontology is like that, what is fact today may be disproven tomorrow. However having said that it was and still is one of the best prehistoric documentaries made so far. No other series has ever brought the dinosaurs to life in such a manner nor captured the public imagination so much.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal