Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Chester the RB has a BAD Leg, Any ideas?  (Read 4103 times)

RedwoodsMama

• Pleo Grand Master, 4th epoch
  • us Female
  • Pleo(s): Nova, Major Tom, Argyle the blind Pleo, Baby Ruth, Chester, and 22 more Pleos
  • : 2013 winner2010 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
    • Mary_Ann
    • Silvester
    • none
    • Flying_Ace
Chester the RB has a BAD Leg, Any ideas?
« on: May 19, 2014, 01:58:19 PM »

Ok, this is an old video from 2012, shortly after getting, my first Male and Only Male Pleo RB, whom I named Chester after the deputy on Gunsmoke, Chester. First, yes I now know to not let Chester keep having his leg clicking like in the video, cause it can cause further damage, remember this is from 2012. Chester was purchased from someone on Ebay and in Canada. Chester is in very good working order and excellent skin condition, but I remember from about the second day of having him, that this leg clicking was evident, a front leg. :(

I could have returned him but really wanted this guy. (he was not advertised as having a leg problem) Kat I know you have done "surgery " on Cato I think and other RB leg problems. By looking at this video, do you think it is the same or similiar thing? His shoulder will get warm and the clicking nine out of ten times starts up right as soon as turned on, but sometimes will stop...all on it's own.  :o

It seems to me that Pleo rB leg problems are one of the most common problems there are. Of five Pleo rB, I have three that have leg problems of some sort with Baby Ruth, my oldest pleo rb having had the rear clicking problem even longer and Chester . I have heard clicking on Pc, the Pleo rB with Pink eyes, but not every time, My Cammie Sue seems ok and my newest Pleo whom I got on April 9th, doesn't show it yet.................but she has less then two hours hatching so far, so it could be too soon or the luck of the draw... ??? Here is the video.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zkbVa8f_OKw" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zkbVa8f_OKw</a>            Would you say it is a faulty wire and something that can be fixed? I know at some point I have to get brave and open him and Baby Ruth up or just let them collect dust.  Thanks.        RWM  :cat-hug:

Decided while I was at it to add the old video of Baby Ruth with the same or similiar problem except hers is a rear leg and her leg gets very hot, she can't bend her leg at the knee, so not clicking like Chester (If I remember correctly) but her leg will NOT straighten This is also an OLD video. So now you get two videos for the price ( viewing ) of one. Anymore ideas, I did do the ideas suggested by Kat or IMR in this video long ago.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jDFcqxnhV14" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jDFcqxnhV14</a>                            RWM  :cat-hug:
« Last Edit: May 19, 2014, 02:02:53 PM by RedwoodsMama »

Animals are SOUL Too, Be kind to all those who live on this planet with us.

Crewella

• Pleo Grand Master RB
  • gb Female
  • Pleo(s): Iggy, Budge, Moschops, Monty, Emmy. Belle, Zillah, Tribble
  • : 2010 winnerTomat Harvest Festivals
    • Ginger
    • Pepe_Le_Pew
    • Animal
    • Flying_Ace
Re: Chester the RB has a BAD Leg, Any ideas?
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2014, 05:42:36 AM »

It does seem that it might be a loose wire somewhere in that leg - the clicking is the gears working so as not to damage the motor, and you don't want to let it run too long and wear them out.  I think the only solution is to look inside the leg, I'm afraid. :(

RedwoodsMama

• us Female
  • Pleo(s): Nova, Major Tom, Argyle the blind Pleo, Baby Ruth, Chester, and 22 more Pleos
    • Mary_Ann
    • Silvester
    • none
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2014, 05:59:10 AM »

Thanks Crewella, that is what I was afraid of, but right now I am not doing anything with pleos, P0:) just put away . When I get "normal" or motivated again, I will have to have a look in Chester's leg. I don't know if Baby Ruth's stiff peg leg is the same thing, a loose wire, but I will start with Chester, probably an easier fix.
                         Thanks for the reply.                     RWM  :cat-hug:

I know Kat sent me videos for repairing neck on Nova and to look at Baby Ruth's leg so Chester's leg must be pretty much the same in approach and tools needed. One thing I do not have, or my hubby is a saudering gun or iron so I know I will have to buy one. The only place I know of here in town is Michaels craft store and believe it or not, they hardly ever have  a saudering iron or gun on hand and the last one they had came in a kit, but was $39.95, I am not prepared to spend that much if I can get one cheaper such as on Amazon, but don't know what size I need or does it matter?

I think Chester's front leg is probably easier to fix then Baby Ruths bum knee that will not bend. ........I hope anyway.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2014, 04:42:03 PM by RedwoodsMama »

Crewella

• Pleo Grand Master RB
  • gb Female
    • Ginger
    • Pepe_Le_Pew
    • Animal
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2014, 05:10:22 PM »

This is the kind of soldering iron I use - it has a fine point so you're less likely to melt any surrounding plastic!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/60-Watt-Soldering-Iron-Electronics-Jewelry-Computer-Repair-/380750517999?pt=US_Measuring_Layout_Tools&hash=item58a67fd6ef

RedwoodsMama

• us Female
    • Mary_Ann
    • Silvester
    • none
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2014, 06:07:09 PM »

Thanks Crewella, that is a purrfect price..very reasonable. Are they easy to use? With Nova's neck, and Chester and Baby Ruths' legs, it will keep me busy for quite awhile. Now I just need to find the time, the courage and motivation. %) I think NOva's neck then Baby Ruths' back leg would be the trickiest and or hardest and hopefully Chester's front leg the easiest. Now I just have to muster the courage, (after the saudering iron is ordered) then the hardest of the things needed..........the desire to do something,  ???

Right now I really need something to take my mind off of cats and Karuna.. :o :( :cat: which is needed but very difficult to do, Having lost Karl Kat close to this time last year, ( In June, then my oldest cat, my daughter's cat, Aiffa who was almost 20) and now Karuna, (May 2nd, )it is hard to feel like doing much of anything though I know I can not go on like this. I know you understand what I mean, owning many cats yourself.......they are precious fur babies. Having my birthday this month doesn't leave much room for feelings of celebration either so I think a project trying to repair one of my Pleos is therapeutic and needed more then ever right now to keep my mind focused on something else.  @<

I think in a way, the more challenging it is, as long as "possible" to do for someone like myself who is challenged by math and science stuff, the better. If I can get this saudering iron right away I am going to give it a go, at least once I start by peeling back the skin of the foot, then I know I would not leave poor Chester like that and will complete the project. I will ask for support once I start as I am not good as electronical stuff and would want to make sure I did not leave Chester is worse condition then before I started or I would rather just give him away to someone who could appreciate him and give him a good home.  P:D

Thanks for responding and giving me a good place to look for the tool I need Crewella, it is much appreciated. I think I will try and get it ordered in the morning. Do I actually need a scalpel to peel back the skin on the foot? The one thing that really terrifies me is knives or anything sharp! I hate knives and do not want to cut myself but more then that, I don't want to mutilate my Pleos skin.........What did you use to open the skin up so you could have a good look and access to the foot in your videos? :moose2:                RWM ( scaredy Cat)  :cat-hug:

Crewella

• Pleo Grand Master RB
  • gb Female
    • Ginger
    • Pepe_Le_Pew
    • Animal
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2014, 03:30:35 AM »

On Scully (Ugobe) I only used my fingernails to pull the skin away from the edge of the footplate and remove the plastic ring from the skin, but RBs have tougher glue - I did have a pair of needlework scissors handy to help scrape or cut some of the rubber glue away.  A scalpel would be quicker, but I prefer to take my time and do it carefully.

Once you have the skin loose frm the footplate you should be able to roll the skin up the leg and get a good look at the leg.

This is how the white ring fits onto the foot to stop the skin riding up the leg:

kat

• Pleo Grand Master, 2nd epoch
  • au Female
  • Pleo(s): Kermit (Pink RB), Norbit (Green RB), Pickle(nude RB), Gumble, Minyon and Frankie
  • : 2013 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
    • Marvin_Martian
    • Kermit
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2014, 05:32:27 PM »

I also found that with the Ugobe you can just use your fingernail and pull at the skin and that is enough to get the glue to let go.  witht the RB the glue is a lot stronger and needs more force.  I found it took much longer to get the skin separated with the rb's I worked on compared to Ugobes. I did use a scalpel but very slowly and carefully and only for the spots that I could not get apart with just my fingernails and pulling the skin. 

RedwoodsMama

• us Female
    • Mary_Ann
    • Silvester
    • none
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2014, 07:10:19 PM »

Thanks guys, like I said, I do NOT like sharp knives, so with just my fingers and a small pair of sewing scissors that are sharp, I guess I can achieve the same thing, as long as I know to expect it to be very slow, are we talking like half an hour or more. so I know what to expect?         RWM  :cat-hug:

kat

• Pleo Grand Master, 2nd epoch
  • au Female
  • Pleo(s): Kermit (Pink RB), Norbit (Green RB), Pickle(nude RB), Gumble, Minyon and Frankie
  • : 2013 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
    • Marvin_Martian
    • Kermit
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2014, 05:32:28 PM »

30 mins to one hour for a foot depending on the glue.  the neck seem if you need to undo that one may take 2 or 3 hours.  I did work slowly and carefully :)

Crewella

• Pleo Grand Master RB
  • gb Female
    • Ginger
    • Pepe_Le_Pew
    • Animal
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2014, 05:36:00 PM »

Much the same as Kat .... if not a bit longer .......  :-[ :moose: ;D

RedwoodsMama

• us Female
    • Mary_Ann
    • Silvester
    • none
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2014, 08:42:33 PM »

Well, with my luck and fear of knives and sharp things and since my fingernails are basically gone,,,,it should take me about half a day if I am lucky and or can stay awake long enough to finish the task. Well, first off to order a saudering gun or iron and once it gets here, the fun begins...........(Sorry Chester, you are first my lad...) :dino-chase: P:'(

RWM  :cat-hug:

Talon

• Cretaceous pleo master
  • us Female
  • Pleo(s): Cato and Samantha (Pleo RB‘s), Eugobe, Terry, Cuddles, Bleu (Ugobe Pleos)
    • Lucy
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2014, 09:28:22 AM »

Good luck, Redwoods! Keep us posted on how things go.
Talon
Talon
Find me on YouTube at Crazy Robot Lady
Pages: [1]   Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal