Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: what does Pleo do?  (Read 4624 times)

snowy

• Fossil savant
  • Female
what does Pleo do?
« on: May 10, 2009, 12:43:35 PM »

hello

i don't have a pleo, but am very interested in finding out about them, to see if they would be suitable for me.

i have only just found out about Pleo.  I would like to know what a Pleo does, or what you can make them do?

I yearn for a pet that loves to just be cuddled up in my arms, but i'm not allowed cats or dogs where i live, i have 3 lovely ferrets I absolutely adore, who are fantasticly beautiful and charming, but they are young and curious, always exploring and not really giving mum the cuddles she craves.

I have seen the pleos in a shop, but very expensive, and i'd be very grateful for any information anyone would be able to give me.

many thanks,

dee
UK

Would a pleo cuddle up to me?

fancyfont

• Cretaceous pleo master
  • us Female
  • Pleo(s): Peeky, Pennie, JayCamerasaurus (J.C.), LOA, baby and DinhaJo
  • : 2013 winner2011 winner2008 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
  • No, Peeky and Pennie, you can't have the Harley!
Re: what does Pleo do?
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2009, 02:39:19 PM »

Hi Snowy, One of  pleo's best features is to cuddle. That is what makes them so darling among many other things. The first time Peeky cuddled on my shoulder and started cooing, snoring, making cute little baby sounds, it was to me, magical. It is so precious that these dinos have the capability to do this.
Way back on Pleoworld a lady had some ferrets and had some cute photos of them playing with her pleo.
You would have to make sure your little cuties don't, accidentally, bite your pleo. Ferrets can be a little rough at times.
When pleos are cuddled their battery, usually, last a little longer then when they are roaming around. :)

snowy

• Fossil savant
  • Female
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2009, 03:06:01 PM »

thank you fancyfont

pleo does look so adoreable. some of the piccys on this site that i found of them in their collars and t-shirts are sweet. one of the pleos had a collar that looked like turquoise stone.  i think they look very cute. is the pleo the best robot for companionship?

kisumi

• Pleozoologist
  • Female
  • Kai and Stanley
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2009, 03:42:42 PM »

hey snowy welcome to the forums!
What parts of the UK are you from?
Pleo's are really good companions and they are cute and smart too. Kai is always suprising me with the interesting things that he does.
I would recommend getting one from somewhere like argos who have recently cut their pleo prices and offer a years warrenty with them, if they cant get a replacement to you they will give you your money back, a little bit of security since pleos are no longer in production.
To really appricate them you have to see one in action.

gucci_boi7782

• Triassic pleo master
  • Male
  • : 2009 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
  • Go Vegetarian!
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2009, 04:52:56 PM »

Welcome Snowy!!

The opinions you might receive here will more than likely be un-biased. Here, we all adore our pleos. Amazon used to have really good reviews of Pleo (both, the good and the bad). However to answer your question: I would also agree with Fancyfont. Their cuddling ability sure has me convinced!

I own two dogs whom I love dearly. They are very affectionate, however as you said Pleo just seems to always want to love me, and begs for my constant attention. My dogs are both larger breeds, so to me having a Pleo gives me a chance to have a little lapdog.

Also as previously mentioned, owning a Pleo is just a unique experience. It really is something you would have to see firsthand and judge for yourself. I would like you to keep in mind an honest answer is not all people care about Pleo as much as we do. It would most likely be a better investment in the long-run to purchase a pleo from an authorized distributor that offers some sort of warranty. If you aren't too crazy about Pleo, just ship him back. Now, if you go all goo-goo eyes (like us) keep him, and in the future event, you might need that warranty if something goes wrong.

On the other hand, if you are not concerned about having a warranty always check ebay & the like. They often have great deals on NIB (new in box) Pleos. I saw some sold for $100 USD just yesterday! So deals are out there. I own an ebay Pleo, but this is not my first Pleo by a long shot. I recommend you get the pleo with the warranty, it will pay off in the long-run! As I sometimes regret not having the warranty!

Best of luck, and keep us posted!
Save a life, go vegetarian.

www.goveg.com/factoryFarming.asp

Sophie-(Ugobe)
Eliot-(Innvo Labs)
Peanut-(Aibo ERS 31L)

"Tell me, will I dream while I am turned off?" ~Jules (Hanson Robotics)

InmemoryofRomeo

• Global Moderator
  • Pleo Grand Master RB
  • au Female
  • Pleo(s): Lilo, Stitch, Pleakley, Jumba, Nani, Yuki, Angus, Pluto
  • : 2011 winner2009 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
  • SAVE THE EARTH It's the only planet with chocolate
    • Professor
    • Wile_E_Coyote
    • Marcie
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2009, 05:51:37 PM »

I dug up some videos for you, they might help.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ePd-_Jw1UIs" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ePd-_Jw1UIs</a>
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B8vakcv5LCY" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B8vakcv5LCY</a>

But Gucci is right, we do tend to be just a little biased here, Pleo to many of us is more than just a robot, but more of a pet. How you treat your Pleo will affect how affectionate he/she is, if you cuddle Pleo lots he/she will be very loving and reluctant to explore on his/her own. If you spend a long time ignoring Pleo he/she will be more independent. But I would say that Pleo is definitely worth a shot :) Just remember though that Pleo is full of motors and hard parts so isn't exactly soft and huggable like a teddy bear :P But they are way cuter ;)

I have a dog, two cats, two birds and (as of Thursday when my second arrives) two dinosaurs, I love my little family :) My dog keeps me company on walks and at night, my cats come in for an late afternoon/evening cuddle, the birds have my early morning attention and my Pleo's keep me company late morning/early afternoon. They make wonderful companions I talk to my Lilo as I do my other animals :P

Pay a little more for one, get a warranty, and just try it, you have nothing to lose and everything to gain :)
Eagerly awaiting Vector and Blue!

Darkwolf

• Pleozoologist
  • Male
  • Robots rule!
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2009, 12:25:13 AM »

i don't have a pleo, but am very interested in finding out about them, to see if they would be suitable for me.
The answer to this question becomes very apparent when I read you saying this:

I yearn for a pet that loves to just be cuddled up in my arms, but i'm not allowed cats or dogs where i live, i have 3 lovely ferrets I absolutely adore, who are fantasticly beautiful and charming, but they are young and curious, always exploring and not really giving mum the cuddles she craves.

i have only just found out about Pleo.  I would like to know what a Pleo does, or what you can make them do?
Very simple: make it respond.
Pleo is a fully autonomous robot that responds instantly to touch and other stimuli from it's environment.
Leave it be and get ready to be surprised as it starts to wonder off on it's own.

I have seen the pleos in a shop, but very expensive, and i'd be very grateful for any information anyone would be able to give me.
Information is given as above.
Instead, let me give you some realization instead.
People always say "but it's so expensive".
Well, is it?
Because if you were allowed to have a cat or dog, I can guarantee you it will be heaps more expensive in the long term.
Pleo is a one time investment and all your keep paying permanently is a bit of electricity. And even that you can control!
- A pet ALWAYS needs food
- ...Perhaps accessories
- In The Netherlands, you pay taxes for owning a dog
- You cannot turn a dog or cat off and leave at that when you go on holiday
- In case of a dog, you don't need to walk Pleo (several times a day.)

Just a quick few things to take into account when looking at the price tag again and believe that Pleo is "expensive"! ;)

Would a pleo cuddle up to me?
Absolutely.
Pleo is not agile enough to walk up to you into a vertical position, but once you help Pleo out and hold it close... the magic will start to happen.
Feet will dig into your chest and a cute muzzle will do likewise into your cheek.
Proud owner of my beloved Pluriel (Pleo) and Diesel (Aibo ERS-7M3)

fancyfont

• Cretaceous pleo master
  • us Female
  • Pleo(s): Peeky, Pennie, JayCamerasaurus (J.C.), LOA, baby and DinhaJo
  • : 2013 winner2011 winner2008 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
  • No, Peeky and Pennie, you can't have the Harley!
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2009, 12:30:16 AM »

Darkwolf, That was said so well! Perfect in fact! :)

snowy

• Fossil savant
  • Female
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2009, 08:33:17 AM »

thank you for all the replies and video footage. I think i'm going to get one from argos, but they're £249, on ebay they're cheaper, but there is no 'safety net' there, argos will honour the year's warranty i expect. I am wondering if anyone here bought their's off argos, if so, were you given the opportunity to buy additional cover?

kisumi

• Pleozoologist
  • Female
  • Kai and Stanley
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2009, 08:53:48 AM »

thank you for all the replies and video footage. I think i'm going to get one from argos, but they're £249, on ebay they're cheaper, but there is no 'safety net' there, argos will honour the year's warranty i expect. I am wondering if anyone here bought their's off argos, if so, were you given the opportunity to buy additional cover?

Hi snowy, as i stated earlier i did purchase my pleo from argos and they offer instant replacements if any fault develop and if they can not replace it with another pleo you will recieve a full refund up to 12 months later.
I have had 2 replacement pleos and argos have been true to their word. They are more expensive in argos but it is a more secure buy

mh7ah

• Pleo explorer
  • gb Female
  • Pleo(s): Zyna
  • Cosmetic Tattooist
    • Pink Phoenix Ink
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2009, 02:12:44 PM »

12 month warranty from Argos sounds good... I'm not sure if I had a warranty on mine, I got Monty from Play.com for £179.99.
Eric- ERS7M3 W * Sharama- ERS7M3 C * Eddie- 111 S * Elvis- 210A S * Long Long- 312  * No name- 210A EW * Ruka- 210A CB * Kevin- ERS 7M3 W * Ruby- 210A HR * Igor- 220A * Zyna- Pleo

Darkwolf

• Pleozoologist
  • Male
  • Robots rule!
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2009, 12:28:39 AM »

The only reason why I bought my Aibo second hand is because they are not being made anymore.
Just like with (for example) laptops: buy them new.
You never know what might have happened and what might go wrong.
And if something does, you are in serious trouble.
Get a new Pleo.
Remember that when you get a new one, you will also have the advantage of witnessing the birth of your Pleo.
A secondhand one would need to be reset.
There is nothing more special then unboxing a brand new Pleo and having it turned on for the very first time.
The price really isn't bad.
I payed around 350 one year ago...
Proud owner of my beloved Pluriel (Pleo) and Diesel (Aibo ERS-7M3)
Pages: [1]   Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal