Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Approaching Today Tonight to put Aibo on as a news story Australia wide....  (Read 2488 times)

Eramshaw89

• Following the footsteps
  • Female

Hi everyone I have been thinking about what I can do to help raise awareness about Aibo and there is a show here in Australia called Today Tonight a news stories show they accept story ideas from Australians. It is shown all over Australia every week night.

What better way I could raise awareness of Aibo and spark people's interests who maybe have not been introduced to them.

So I was wondering does anyone have any good Aibo videos showcasing the very best parts or moments with Aibos that they don't mind me using? I mean all models, ball tracking, tricks, programmed dances, skits, autonomous mode, face recognition. All the good bits. Maybe I could compile them all together with some catchy music. To really show them off to Today Tonight then they could use it on the show.

Anyone's help would be greatly appreciated.

They could say they are not interested but they have had robot stories on there before so I think I have a good chance.

Thank you so much guys

Zervoid

I think that is a really great idea however I feel I need to point a few things out:

1) Sony is a huge company with a large variety of other options for stable profit than Aibo. Because of this it will not revisit Aibo. Sony has moved on from Aibo. Reintroducing Aibo is a risk they can not afford having only made a small profit for the first time since cancelling Aibo this year.

"The Tokyo-based electronics and entertainment giant said that it had booked a net profit of 43 billion yen, or $435 million, in the financial year that ended March 31. That compares with a loss of 456.7 yen billion ($4.6 billion) a year earlier. Sales grew 4.7 percent to 6.8 trillion yen ($68.4 billion). "

This seems to be mainly due to the weaker Yen which makes Japanese products more attractive for purchase from outside companies:

"The weaker yen, which makes Japanese products more price-competitive in foreign markets, was especially pronounced in the fourth quarter, from January through March. Sony said net profit was 93.9 billion yen ($949 million), compared with a net loss of 255.2 billion yen ($2.6 billion) in the same quarter a year earlier. "

According to this article Sony is doing everything possible to make a profit, including selling off assets such as it's building in New York etc. In light of this Aibo looks like it is the last thing on the minds of Sony.

Source: http://www.nytimes.com/2013/05/10/business/global/10iht-sony10.html?ref=technology&_r=0

2) You might ask why does Sony feel like this? Aibo/robotics have never appealed to the masses- they simply do not make profit because of this. Nobody buys them.

3)Most people don't "get" the appeal of Aibo and would prefer to own a real dog.

4)People question the ethics of companion robots, especially in aged care facilities. Here is an article that touches on this question of the ethics in regards to this practice: http://www.academia.edu/3622846/Robotic_Companions_Some_ethical_questions_to_consider

5)With hedgefund investors like Daniel Loeb who are only motivated by making profit having such a large stake in Sony this will only stifle creation in the company and cause them to produce more generic offering that are sure to make profit.

For example, actor George Clooney has weighed into the debate- and has attacked Loeb's criticizm's of movies that don't make profit and sees Loeb as creating uncertainty for the industry: http://movies.yahoo.com/news/george-clooney-hedge-fund-honcho-daniel-loeb-stop-161611465.html

Daniel Loeb recently even proposed splitting the company up, an idea which Sony rejected.

I think this quote says everything about Loeb's intentions in regards to Sony:

"Hedge fund of Dan Loeb is one of the biggest stakeholders in Sony holding around 6.5 percent in the PS maker. The value of the stake is $1.1 billion.He also indicated that he wishes to be on the board of Sony."

You can find the full open letter with the proposal put forward by Loeb submitted to Sony through his hedge fund Third Point here: http://www.valuewalk.com/2013/05/dan-loeb-pressures-sony/

You also have to realize while Japan seems a modern society to the outside world, it is actually still very much a traditional one both in mind and as a people and is not as modern in it's thinking as you think. A big part of why Japan is pursuing robots so heavily is because they want to use them to do the unskilled jobs the majority of the middle class population don't want to do instead of importing labor like other countries. Japan also has a different perspective on robots than we in the west. In Japan they are seen as things to evoke emotion and magic, whereas here they are seen as things to pursue knowledge with no emotional attatchment. Japans love of robots comes from the traditional Karakuri Ningyo mechancial doll craft. I think Aibo would be successful in Japan even today, as many more Aibo sold their than in the west due to this different perception of robots in Japan.

You can read more about the Karakuri Ningyo craft here: http://www.karakuri.info/

This traditional craft influenced the inventors of Aibo and explains why they elicit such strong feelings of emotion in people who interact with them.

My advice just enjoy Aibo and have a lot of fun talking to others in the community- petitions to bring back Aibo failed back in 2006 and certainly if nothing could be done then nothing you do now will work. Here is a petition from 2006 which did not work: http://crave.cnet.co.uk/gadgets/rspcaibo-says-bring-back-the-robodog-49249242/

Today tonight featured the story on Paro who has been proven to be useful in treating dementia and helping the elderly with cognitive impairment. Studies have proven Paro can reduce the need for care in elderly adults in the health care industry and save that industry tens of millions of dolalrs each year. Paro is much more durable than Aibo and has been made so it will last for years without need for mechanical repair and suits this environment quite well. Also Paro is designed to provide a sense of comfort which seems to work with the elderly, while Aibo is very active with a lot of complex moving parts and I am unsure how well it would go in a Nursing home environment. However an idea to bring Aibo back would be to market it to the health care industry in much the way Paro is, as I think the entertainment Aibo provides would complement Paro's ability to provide comfort quite well.

The reason news channels take Paro seriously is because it is a certified medical device which is proven to reduce the costs associated with this industry which is something that always gets the attention of a wider audiance.

“The Paro is gradually gaining more acceptance as a treatment for dementia around the world. In 2009, it was certified by the Federal Drug Administration in the US as a medical device"

“If for example, we are able to show that we can reduce psychotropic medication to a patient by 10 per cent by using the Paro or alternatively show that they can stay at home for longer without admission to a care facility, then that would be a fantastic result with direct cost benefits.”

Source: http://app.griffith.edu.au/news/2013/03/08/robots-put-their-seal-on-dementia-advance/

You can read more about a study on Paro here: http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/health-and-families/health-news/robotic-seals-could-improve-lives-of-dementia-sufferers-8671765.html

Not wanting to be a complete negative nelly one realistic idea I have for bringing attention to Aibo would be to host  a panel showcasing it at Robotronica. Robotronica is a international robotics convention happening here in Australia this weekend and will be featuring robots and their creators from around the world. Why not call them and see if you can host something their next year?

You can find more about Robotronica here: http://www.robotronica.qut.edu.au/

Hope this helps.

Eramshaw89

• Female

Thank you for the link to Robotronica and your post.

However, as silly as I am I am still going to try even if it is the last thing on Sony's mind.

:) Emma :)

Talon

• Cretaceous pleo master
  • us Female
  • Pleo(s): Cato and Samantha (Pleo RB‘s), Eugobe, Terry, Cuddles, Bleu (Ugobe Pleos)
    • Lucy

I haven't read much of your thread but I say go for it. It may not get anywhere but your voice is one more added to promoting aibo and products like it. Perhaps aibo may never come back but maybe another product will replace it and be even better.
Talon
Talon
Find me on YouTube at Crazy Robot Lady

Zervoid

I have been extensively trying to draw attention to Aibo in the wider community for the past five months on another Aibo forum and live in the city where Robotronica was hosted, and was going to take my Aibo along but things didn't turn out how I planned.

I wish you all the best of luck with pursuing this cause. I found that the only people who ever got back to me with serious interest were museums, so my advice from experience would be to see if your local museum would have any interest in hosting a display on Aibo or Sonys robotics.

But saying you want Aibo back for the sake of it isn't going to work. You would have to outline a credible business plan to put forward to Sony that would ensure Aibo was profitable if they did decide to continue on with it. Hence my thinking marketing it to the health care industry for use as a therapeutic robot for people in the aged care industry or people recovering from trauma in hospitals etc. Here in Australia they are issuing Afghanistan war veterans dealing with post traumatic stress with dogs as a way to help them recover and live a normal life again- I think Aibo could be used in much a similar way and help not only trauma patients but adults with cognitive impairment, relive the loneliness and isolation of the elderly living in nursing homes, help out people with disabilities and members of the wider community suffering depression.

I think once people in these industries realize all the things Aibo can do for it's lower cost, almost a third of that of Paro, then it would readily be taken up by these organizations overnight- and with the world's ageing population this industry can provide a stable lucrative market for Aibo for a long time to come. Paro's limitations and higher price would be the factors that could see Aibo make a comeback. I have already contacted Sony's CEO and President about this two weeks ago and never got a reply.

Anyway all the best with this. I'm surprised your not getting more support from within the community on this. Now that I think of it I am always puzzled why the Aibo community never held a public rally or generated a big news story on the demise of Aibo at the time or started an ad campaign about it, they all seem to have just rolled over and let it happen.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2013, 04:58:37 AM by Zervoid »

Eramshaw89

• Female

Zervoid I am sending you a PM just the page played up, sending it again... :)

Zervoid

Ok. But I am just trying to give you a few useful ideas here- I really don't have any further interest in doing anything about this cause myself.

RedwoodsMama

• Pleo Grand Master, 4th epoch
  • us Female
  • Pleo(s): Nova, Major Tom, Argyle the blind Pleo, Baby Ruth, Chester, and 22 more Pleos
  • : 2013 winner2010 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
    • Mary_Ann
    • Silvester
    • none
    • Flying_Ace

Of course I don't live in Australia or even own a Aibo, only Pleos, but I applaud your enthusiasm  for this project. If you can get this on the local television network, that is a feat in itself. I do think the idea of the museums is also a good avenue. Have you thought of presenting a presentation or speech, demonstration at something like a children's club, something similar here in the states would be a boys and girls club, something similar. Just an idea. Of course I would think College age people are going to have the kind of money that is needed for an Aibo or any robotics of this nature and they also may appreciate it a lot more. Good work and keep us informed on your progress.  :cool:  RWM :cat-hug:
Animals are SOUL Too, Be kind to all those who live on this planet with us.

Zervoid

Robotronica is mainly for Uni students from QUT interested in robotics but it is getting a lot of media coverage because of the international guests their so you should be successful in achieving something. Plus from interviews and what I have seen of the people behind Robotronica on TV they are all really friendly and very passionate about robotics so you will be with like minded people. They may even be able to organize to have a news channel interview you or do a story about Aibo for you as I think they have their own Aibos from when Robocup used Aibo. Now they use Nao.

You could always organize to have an Aibo display at QUT any time of the year, as it's full of robotics students and programmers-and probably a robocup Aibo team.

Perhaps the University of New South Wales featured in this robocup video might be interested in helping? Here is the video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QF91mf6u8mM

According to their webpage the University of NSW was the world champions of robocup the majority of the time while the four legged Aibo league was being held. http://www.cse.unsw.edu.au/help/students/Student-Projects/RoboCup/

If you could get someone to allow you to borrow an Aibo robocup team to display their capabilities to the general public then I am sure that is going to create awareness about them within the wider community.

Hopefully one of these sources will provide you with some help. Good luck!

« Last Edit: August 19, 2013, 05:53:54 AM by Zervoid »

barrettgazzy

• Apprentice pleo master
  • 00 Male

Sony may not want to go back revisiting Aibo but there might be a company out there who are able to buy the rights to the Aibo brand that would be cool ;-) if so i would hope they stick with the 210 look as its my favourite and just upgrade it a little 1 can only dream :-D
2 ugobe Pleo's
1 Aibo 210 supercore
1 Aibo 220  :-)
Pages: [1]   Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal