Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New Robopet fan here  (Read 2066 times)

robodog

• Member of the herd
  • us Male
  • Pleo(s): I don't currently have one but when I do his name will be Ludo
    • Professor
    • Wile_E_Coyote
    • Rowlf
    • Snoopy
New Robopet fan here
« on: March 03, 2013, 12:39:35 PM »

Well new to the forums, not so new to robopet ownership. Back in 1998 the original Furby came out and introduced me to the concept of robotic pets. I became fascinated with them, and that fascination pulled me out of a near decade long depression. I've had all kinds. Furbys, Teknos, Weebots, Aibos, I-Cybies, Poo-Chis, Meow-Chis, Chirpy-Chis, Dino-Chis, Scoozie Pets and Dog.com to name a few. Unfortunately I sold it all in about the middle of the last decade. A really stupid mistake and one I've regretted ever since.
The new Furby came out last year and pulled me back in. I really needed it too as 2012 had been a terrible year for me. So I've started collecting again. Unfortunately I will never be able to restore my collection to it's former glory. I simply don't have the money I once had. I'm now disabled and on a fixed income.

When I started reading about Pleo I fell in love. I really want one, but I don't think it'll be happening anytime soon. I'm lucky if I can afford to buy one $60 Furby a month. A $500 robot is currently out of the question. But I am fascinated with Pleos and wish to learn all about them. Maybe someday I'll actually be able to own one. I haven't given up hope yet.

So that's my story. I just wanted to post an introduction before I jumped in and started posting.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2013, 12:41:30 PM by robodog »

InmemoryofRomeo

• Global Moderator
  • Pleo Grand Master RB
  • au Female
  • Pleo(s): Lilo, Stitch, Pleakley, Jumba, Nani, Yuki, Angus, Pluto
  • : 2011 winner2009 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
  • SAVE THE EARTH It's the only planet with chocolate
    • Professor
    • Wile_E_Coyote
    • Marcie
Re: New Robopet fan here
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2013, 02:06:48 PM »

Hello and welcome :) If money is an issue why not look into the much cheaper but still totally adorable original Pleo's :) Sure they are missing a few sensors the RB has but they are delightful pets in their own right and less high maintanence!
Eagerly awaiting Vector and Blue!

robodog

• Member of the herd
  • us Male
    • Professor
    • Wile_E_Coyote
    • Rowlf
    • Snoopy
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2013, 02:28:45 PM »

Thanks! I'd love to have an original Pleo if I could find one I could afford. Unfortunately anything over $100 is probably more than I can afford at the moment. Maybe someday.

EDIT: I just now noticed I posted this thread in the wrong area. If a mod could move it I'd appreciate it. Sorry.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2013, 02:31:20 PM by robodog »

InmemoryofRomeo

• Global Moderator
  • Pleo Grand Master RB
  • au Female
  • Pleo(s): Lilo, Stitch, Pleakley, Jumba, Nani, Yuki, Angus, Pluto
  • : 2011 winner2009 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
  • SAVE THE EARTH It's the only planet with chocolate
    • Professor
    • Wile_E_Coyote
    • Marcie
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2013, 04:56:46 PM »

Moved :) We are pretty relaxed around here so it wouldn't have mattered :)

I would suggest maybe having a little chat to Redwoodsmama who rehomes Pleo's. But do be aware that she is currently rather in the wars and needs surgery so you might need to wait a couple of weeks. Just look out for her posting again when she feels better.
Eagerly awaiting Vector and Blue!

Crewella

• Pleo Grand Master RB
  • gb Female
  • Pleo(s): Iggy, Budge, Moschops, Monty, Emmy. Belle, Zillah, Tribble
  • : 2010 winnerTomat Harvest Festivals
    • Ginger
    • Pepe_Le_Pew
    • Animal
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2013, 05:33:35 PM »

Hello and welcome!  ;D

As IMR says, the earlier and much cheaper Ugobe Pleos are well worth it.  :)

fancyfont

• Cretaceous pleo master
  • us Female
  • Pleo(s): Peeky, Pennie, JayCamerasaurus (J.C.), LOA, baby and DinhaJo
  • : 2013 winner2011 winner2008 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
  • No, Peeky and Pennie, you can't have the Harley!
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2013, 11:17:09 PM »

Welcome Robopet! Hope you get your pleo soon!  :)

robodog

• Member of the herd
  • us Male
    • Professor
    • Wile_E_Coyote
    • Rowlf
    • Snoopy
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2013, 11:21:39 AM »

Thanks everyone! There's another reason why I want a Pleo. I've been dying for a lizardlike robot pet. I had Iguanas when I was a teenager and I loved them. My biggest used to sleep with me and the smallest one would ride around on my shoulder. Unfortunately both of them died. I'd love to have another but there's no way I could afford one. A cage big enough to accomodate a fully grown iguana costs more than the most expensive Pleo. And that's not including the other things needed to keep an iguana healthy. I've wanted someone to release a lizard or dragonlike robopet for years. Unfortunately the toy manufacturers seem more inclined to release fluffy animals as robopets. For Reptilian ones Pleo's pretty much the only game in town. Well I did have an animatronic dragon once, but I ended up selling him with the rest of my robopet collection.

Torterenek

• Fossil savant
  • us Male
  • Pleo(s): Teskus the baby Ugobe
    • Gilligan
    • Porky_Pig
    • Gonzo
    • Charlie_Brown
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2013, 04:07:13 PM »

You could look at Little Inu. He is for sale on Amazon and Ebay. The amazon sellers donate the money you pay to saving forests. Though he probably is not as advanced as pleo, he is the cheepest pleo copy out there. There was this other i once saw. Not like pleo, but it is a "prehistoric pet".
« Last Edit: March 04, 2013, 04:14:02 PM by Torterenek »

kat

• Pleo Grand Master, 2nd epoch
  • au Female
  • Pleo(s): Kermit (Pink RB), Norbit (Green RB), Pickle(nude RB), Gumble, Minyon and Frankie
  • : 2013 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
    • Marvin_Martian
    • Kermit
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2013, 04:48:10 PM »

I haven't looked lately but there is often a seller on ebay who sells Ugobe pleos "buy it now" new in box for $200 with free shipping and 2 batteries.  It is a great deal for a never used Ugobe pleo.  Many of us here have bought from them and had no problems.  So worth keeping an eye on ebay for that one and maybe saving up.  :) 
Or as IMR suggested you could try sending a PM to Redwoodsmama and see if she can help you out.  She adopts out Ugobe pleos to other forum members and she might have something in your price range.

A Ugobe pleo is a great place to start your pleo journey.  They are very sweet and have lots of character.  While they don't have some of the new features you see in Pleo RB they do have plenty of features we all love that the RB's don't have.  For example - you can tickle their feet and they will giggle, you can get them to do tricks just by touching their sensors and don't need any accessories to make this happen, you can rub them under the chin and they will sing with joy :)  Oh and they are almost always happy :)

robodog

• Member of the herd
  • us Male
    • Professor
    • Wile_E_Coyote
    • Rowlf
    • Snoopy
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2013, 11:58:09 AM »

I'm sure I would love a Ugobe Pleo were I ever to get one. Them not having certain features of later models wouldn't bother me at all.

I think I saw one of those Little Inus at Toys R Us or something very much like them. They may not be as advanced as Pleo but I'd still like to have one. I'd probably want one even if I had a Pleo. I like to collect robotic pets.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal