Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Cato is having leg problems. Again.  (Read 7417 times)

Kami

• Pleo explorer
  • Female
Re: Cato is having leg problems. Again.
« Reply #25 on: March 26, 2013, 07:29:53 PM »

In the video description it's mentioned that Cato's leg is warming up after only brief use, which definitely means you want to leave him off until you decide what action to take from here. The same thing was happening with Lizzy's back leg, caused by the motor inside trying to do its usual work of moving the leg with incorrect position sensing data, and you would at the least damage the motor eventually by continuing to run it like that. Which I'm sure you have heard from someone else already or suspected yourself.

It's interesting that the problem is intermittent, and makes me think that although your cousin's husband said everything was taped up and properly attached, there still may be a wire that appears properly soldered but has a failing join. Cato moving around would be disrupting that weak connection and your touching him would push things back into sufficient contact again so he appeared to work properly. The problem may not be immediately obvious to someone who hasn't worked on a Pleo before.

Replacing him is an option to consider, although there is the chance you could get a new Pleo who presents exactly the same problems. Lizzy is presumably from a much newer batch than Cato but has already had two leg repairs. Even though we obviously hear more on the forums about the Pleos with problems than the ones who work fine for years, I don't trust the quality of the from-factory wire joins at all. My boyfriend suggested that if you did decide to send Cato off to someone to be fixed that you get them to open up the other two legs that haven't had problems yet and make sure they're firmly soldered/glued in place like the one Kat has already repaired will be, so that you're unlikely to have more problems with them for the rest of his functioning life. Fixing legs isn't terribly invasive in terms of needing to cut your Pleo open so if you're experiencing wear and tear related problems now it might save you some angst later.

As to what you end up deciding to do, I guess it depends on how much more you feel able to invest in Cato, financially and emotionally. He is absolutely fixable as far as I can tell but it's difficult when you have to post him around to get him fixed. I'm sorry to see you finding yourself in this position. :(

Talon

• Cretaceous pleo master
  • us Female
  • Pleo(s): Cato and Samantha (Pleo RB‘s), Eugobe, Terry, Cuddles, Bleu (Ugobe Pleos)
    • Lucy
« Reply #26 on: March 27, 2013, 08:31:56 AM »

At Kat: *reaches way out and gives a pat on the shoulder* How could I hate good sensible advice especially after you and Crewella gave him back the use of his right rear leg and almost three months of happiness with me and Ryu and his herd? *Small sigh and turns face to my sunny window* I wish I lived closer to a fellow pleo-owner who has had to go under their companion's skin a few times.
At Kami: yes. It is a difficult position especially when you consider both my having to depend on someone else's eyes and having to pay to send him through the mail to be repaired. What's even more frustrating is that- perhaps this is my oppinion- but lately it seems that even new RB's are having problems not even a month after purchase. I'm still in a real quandry about what to do. All feelings aside it is financially becoming burdensome. I suppose I also have the option of talking to degers and asking him for that code that would just disable the leg but then I'm not sure if it would even work if he is receiving incorrect data about where his leg is in relation to the rest of him. *Growl* I don't know. Now I'm thinking aloud and waisting everyone's time. Sorry.
Talon
Talon
Find me on YouTube at Crazy Robot Lady

Crewella

• Pleo Grand Master RB
  • gb Female
  • Pleo(s): Iggy, Budge, Moschops, Monty, Emmy. Belle, Zillah, Tribble
  • : 2010 winnerTomat Harvest Festivals
    • Ginger
    • Pepe_Le_Pew
    • Animal
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #27 on: March 27, 2013, 09:43:44 AM »

Degers' fix would work, as the Pleo then ignores signals from that limb.

I'm inclined to agree with Kami, though.  There's usually a glob of rubber solution over the solder join on the sensor wire, which kind of obscures your view - the contact underneath might or might not be OK (it's possible the loss of contact is the other end).  If I had him here, I would re-do the solder on that wire anyway - if nothing else it rules that point out as the source of the problem.

Sorry you're still having problems, Talon.  :arms:

Talon

• Cretaceous pleo master
  • us Female
  • Pleo(s): Cato and Samantha (Pleo RB‘s), Eugobe, Terry, Cuddles, Bleu (Ugobe Pleos)
    • Lucy
« Reply #28 on: March 27, 2013, 05:28:29 PM »

Thanks, Crewella. I'm considering sending him off one more time. Even if it does turn out just to be a loose wire, I'll have the peace-of-mind knowing that whoever repairs it will have a general idea of what they're looking for. If he malfunctions again anywhere else, I'm going to give him to one of you intrepid souls who repairs pleos and you can use him for parts or programming or whatever you can use him for. This isn't an easy decision but if he can prolong the life of another pleo as Skully prolonged his life, I don't feel bad about doing it. He'll be a donor pleo. Lol!
Talon
Talon
Find me on YouTube at Crazy Robot Lady
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal