Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: skin is coming loose on bottom of left foot  (Read 6435 times)

RickyD1979

• Pleo wanderer
  • Male
skin is coming loose on bottom of left foot
« on: December 28, 2012, 12:10:21 PM »

Hi my new pleo's left foot skin is coming loose at bottom where it goes round the foot will post pic when I'm back at work as I'm using my cell to log on at the moment as I'm currently on leave...plan was to bond with my Dino friend and am currently very dissapointed as I'm so particular with my things and look very well after my stuff. Her belly also has some holes where battery goes in :( I took it to the store and said they would have to send it away but don't want to part with her as I've grown close, can I use super glue?

RedwoodsMama

• Pleo Grand Master, 4th epoch
  • us Female
  • Pleo(s): Nova, Major Tom, Argyle the blind Pleo, Baby Ruth, Chester, and 22 more Pleos
  • : 2013 winner2010 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
    • Mary_Ann
    • Silvester
    • none
    • Flying_Ace
Re: skin is coming loose on bottom of left foot
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2012, 12:51:56 PM »

Hi, sorry to hear of your troubles with your pleo. Is this a RB or Ugobe, and a new or used pleo? If a new RB, even though you are attached, this is not normal and esp near the belly, battery area will only get worse, If this is a RB, sounds like an early batch of RB that had skin troubles, Photos would help. I know you can get very attached, but if it is a Rb, it is probably only going to get worse, the skin that is. If you just can part, and I do understand , then Superglue MAY be used, but at your own risk and if you do have a Rb and it is new and under warranty, it will void the warranty by altering it in any way.

It is terrible to see our Pleos fall apart or have problems like this, but there are ways to "patch" them up. Photos and more info is in order.

RWM :cat-hug:
Animals are SOUL Too, Be kind to all those who live on this planet with us.

kat

• Pleo Grand Master, 2nd epoch
  • au Female
  • Pleo(s): Kermit (Pink RB), Norbit (Green RB), Pickle(nude RB), Gumble, Minyon and Frankie
  • : 2013 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
    • Marvin_Martian
    • Kermit
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2012, 04:01:38 PM »

I would find out just what the store plans on doing?  Are they just sending her off to be re-skinned?  Or would they be sending her back and then replacing her?  I would think doing what the store suggests is your best option as she is still under warranty.   As RWM says you will void the warranty if you try to fix it yourself and then if something mechanical goes wrong you will be stuck with paying the full cost of any repairs or stuck with a broken pleo.  I know how hard it is to have to send a pleo back as I have done it myself a couple of times but in the long run it is your best option.  You may well find that they just put a fresh skin on her and then send her back to you.  They do seem to be doing more repairs now rather than just sending out replacements wich I think is great :)

RickyD1979

• Pleo wanderer
  • Male
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2012, 11:22:38 PM »

Thanks Kat, RWM :) I took some pics unfortunately don't know how to post them on this forum. I have sent you both pm messages with pics attached...in the meantime going to phone the store again to find out exactly what they going to do, as per my understanding they said they will send it back to be re-skinned, not sure how long that will take as they seemed to have brought it in themselves and I'm in South Africa

RickyD1979

• Pleo wanderer
  • Male
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2012, 11:47:23 PM »

Forgot to mention its an RB pleo...and I purchased him on the 20th Dec'12

RickyD1979

• Pleo wanderer
  • Male
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2012, 01:11:38 AM »

Just got off the phone from the store where I purchased my pleo rb...the manager said he will re-skin my Pleo himself and will be he's first one that he will be doing :O I then asked if I can rather have it replaced/cash refund and said I need to discuss with the CEO who is only back on the 7th...very bad customer service unfortunately this is the only store in South Africa that is supplying them :( I'm so sad now

kat

• au Female
  • Pleo(s): Kermit (Pink RB), Norbit (Green RB), Pickle(nude RB), Gumble, Minyon and Frankie
    • Marvin_Martian
    • Kermit
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2012, 02:09:19 AM »

This store that you bought your pleo from is it an official pleo rb distributor?  Do they have rights or permission from Innvo to distribute pleo?  Innvo does offer a re -skinning service but I would be very wary of a shop suggesting they do it themselves.  How is he going to get a replacement skin?  Innvo does not sell the skins separately so does he already have a spare skin and if so where did he get it?  Has he ever done this before?  It isn't an easy process and if he hasn't done it before there is the chance that he might damage the pleo in other ways attempting to reskin it.  Have you spoken to Innvo directly or just gone through the store?  Can you tell us the name of the store?

I looked at the pics you sent me and I would be most concerned about the holes in the skin around the battery compartment.  They are small now but may well grow over time.  they may just stay the same though and never get any bigger.   You just can't tell.  What kind of warranty came with your pleo?  The foot skin could be easily repaired with a bit of glue but that would void your warranty.

Here are the pics of RickyD's pleo skin issues for those who'd like to see :)
« Last Edit: December 29, 2012, 02:22:52 AM by kat »

Talon

• Cretaceous pleo master
  • us Female
  • Pleo(s): Cato and Samantha (Pleo RB‘s), Eugobe, Terry, Cuddles, Bleu (Ugobe Pleos)
    • Lucy
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2012, 09:00:13 AM »

Sorry to hear about your pleo troubles, RickyD especially seeing as how new your pleo is. The good thing is he/she is still within warranty. I hope you can get your pleo fixed.
Talon
Talon
Find me on YouTube at Crazy Robot Lady

RickyD1979

• Pleo wanderer
  • Male
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2012, 10:27:12 AM »

Thanks Kat, Talon...the name of the store is "The Gadget Shop" when I purchased him they said it has a 12 month warranty but I would think that after having it only 9 days they should replace it with a new one. They said they have additional skins...but not taking that risk I'm also emailing Innovo as I smell something fishy with this store as there customer service stinks. Thanks again Kat for posting the pics :)

RedwoodsMama

• us Female
  • Pleo(s): Nova, Major Tom, Argyle the blind Pleo, Baby Ruth, Chester, and 22 more Pleos
    • Mary_Ann
    • Silvester
    • none
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2012, 12:46:54 PM »

Hi Ricky, Kat and Talon are right, The owner of the store, or person that said THEY would do the reskin, replace themself, is voiding the Warranty that comes from INNVo, also if there is something wrong with this Pleos skin, ( which there is... :o) they need to know and want to know , as this could be a whole lot or batch of bad skin pleos like there were when they first came out, ( or you just got unlucky...) I would wait till you hear from Innvo, and make sure they see the photos. Remember it may take awhile to hear from them, as Chinese New Year's is right around the corner and they may take off a few days, though it won't officially lbe until Jan, so you have a couple of days perhaps.

That store owner does sound fishy to me, I have never  heard of them but that does not mean they are not legit, just sounds like they are trying to save money somewhere, even if your Pleo has to be totally replaced, it is worth it to have a healthy Pleo. Good luck and let us know what happens.                                   RWM :cat-hug:

InmemoryofRomeo

• Global Moderator
  • Pleo Grand Master RB
  • au Female
  • Pleo(s): Lilo, Stitch, Pleakley, Jumba, Nani, Yuki, Angus, Pluto
  • : 2011 winner2009 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
  • SAVE THE EARTH It's the only planet with chocolate
    • Professor
    • Wile_E_Coyote
    • Marcie
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2012, 01:13:54 PM »

It almost sounds as though they are doing unauthorized repairs... I'd be suspicious that they may have done repairs on yours already. Those sorts of holes can only come from something extreme like reskinning. They are not caused by normal wear and tear.
Eagerly awaiting Vector and Blue!

RickyD1979

• Pleo wanderer
  • Male
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2012, 02:05:50 PM »

Thanks everyone have emailed Innvo, will keep you updated on progress :)

kat

• au Female
    • Marvin_Martian
    • Kermit
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2012, 04:45:50 PM »

I looked on Pleoworld and the gadget shop is listed as a legitimate distributor of pleo :)  So if the guy told you he would need an authorization from the CEO to be able to do a refund or replacement then he may be talking with Innvo.  He may be waiting for them to get back from their Christmas break before he can do anything for you.  It also explains why and how he got spare skins.  So it sounds to me like it is all legitimate and if he is offering to reskin then it should be ok as he is supported by pleoworld / Innvo.
I guess if he stuffs up the reskin he can always give you a whole new replacement pleo.  It doesn't make you feel very confident knowing yours is the very first pleo he will reskin but I am guessing he will have been given some sort of training on how to do it as he is a legitimate Innvo supplier of pleo.  In light of this - up to you - but I would go for the reskin from him.  Just confirm with him that this is not going to void your warranty in any way and that if he stuffs it up as it is the first he has done that he will replace the pleo with a new one :)

mweed

• Grand Poobah
  • Triassic pleo master
  • us Male
  • Pleo(s): Bob, Mopey
  • : Tomat Harvest Festivals
    • Professor
    • Wile_E_Coyote
    • Dr_Bunsen_Honeydew
    • Snoopy
    • Bob the Pleo
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2012, 07:00:28 PM »

I would think re-skinning is overkill for the problems I see in the photos, and as kat said, I'd be more worried about them damaging the pleo when trying to re-skin it.  The foot looks like it may not have been properly glued and has just come loose.  The holes around the battery do look like your pleo may have already been re-skinned, or perhaps just wasn't skinned properly the first time and had to get some stuff redone by Innvo during original assembly.  Neither of these to problems indicate that there is anything wrong with the skin. 

To me, all this points to either poor manufacturing or that this may be a refurbished pleo.  And with that in mind I would NOT opt for re-skinning.  I would either have the pleo replaced with a new one, or see if they can re-glue the foot and battery cover under warranty so that you would still have the rest of the 12-months in case anything else comes up.

RedwoodsMama

• us Female
    • Mary_Ann
    • Silvester
    • none
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2012, 07:58:52 PM »

I agree with Mike, I think those are excellent points, The thought of a re-furbished pleo never even crossed my mind, but something has to  happen to the returned Pleo, and though the thought of getting a refurbished pleo as New never crossed my mind, I guess it is a possibility, I do think the foot is not a big thing, but the skin around the battery is what would concern me. Great points MIke!

RWM :cat-hug:

RickyD1979

• Pleo wanderer
  • Male
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2012, 07:18:58 AM »

Hi all, great news :) I called the store again this morning and spoke to the manager again and finally manged him to see my point and replace my Pleo, so I finally got a new one was sad to see my other one go, but happy to introduce my new rb, she/he has beautiful lime green eyes with brown eyelids...kat if you don't mind I emailed you a pic of my new baby, please can you put it on the forum for me :) still battling with this, think its because I'm using my phone...thanks again to everyone with your help on this, much appreciated :D

RickyD1979

• Pleo wanderer
  • Male
« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2012, 11:34:08 AM »

Well was going through the hatching process, and now my NEW Pleo's neck has bent right back his head is in upright position and is stuck :O ...don't think I'm meant to have a pleo:(

InmemoryofRomeo

• Global Moderator
  • Pleo Grand Master RB
  • au Female
  • Pleo(s): Lilo, Stitch, Pleakley, Jumba, Nani, Yuki, Angus, Pluto
  • : 2011 winner2009 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
  • SAVE THE EARTH It's the only planet with chocolate
    • Professor
    • Wile_E_Coyote
    • Marcie
« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2012, 01:02:20 PM »

Yank the battery immediately when that happens, then restart them. Neck jams are common in the baby stages. If it remains stuck after a few off and on's then try firmly but gently pulling down on the neck. If it still won't budge then you have another yoga Pleo, take it back to the store as is.
Eagerly awaiting Vector and Blue!

Talon

• Cretaceous pleo master
  • us Female
  • Pleo(s): Cato and Samantha (Pleo RB‘s), Eugobe, Terry, Cuddles, Bleu (Ugobe Pleos)
    • Lucy
« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2012, 01:40:43 PM »

Oh no. This doesn't sound good. Follow IMR's advice. Try to be very careful when you're pulling on the neck. Those cables are wire-thin. I wish I could tell you something more useful to you.
Talon
Talon

RickyD1979

• Pleo wanderer
  • Male
« Reply #19 on: December 30, 2012, 01:49:01 PM »

Thanks IMR, Talon going to try now thx...holding thumbs  :pray:

RickyD1979

• Pleo wanderer
  • Male
« Reply #20 on: December 30, 2012, 01:56:11 PM »

Unfortunately going to try in morning as my baby boy is asleep and that popping noise might wake him, thanks IMR just want to confirm if I need to pull down gently on the neck how will I know I'm doing it right I hate touching that area so scared I do damage :(

kat

• au Female
    • Marvin_Martian
    • Kermit
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #21 on: December 30, 2012, 04:41:59 PM »

And here is RickyD's new pleo - the replacement for the one with skin issues :)

Beautiful pale green eyes :)

RickyD1979

• Pleo wanderer
  • Male
« Reply #22 on: December 30, 2012, 09:11:22 PM »

Thanks Kat :) did you see the drama I had last night only went to bed close to 1am in the morning :( her little neck is back in place but worried now as I took very long sorting it out so her neck was popping constantly, I'd you think its fine? Just that popping sound sounds terrible :(

kat

• au Female
    • Marvin_Martian
    • Kermit
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #23 on: December 30, 2012, 09:57:09 PM »

As long as she is working fine now with no popping then I wouldn't worry. :)  She should be just fine.  A lot of pleos have that exact same neck issue in the hatching stage so your not alone :)  It is something that she should grow out of once she is out of the hatching stage and you hopefully won't have it happen again. 

Talon

• Cretaceous pleo master
  • us Female
    • Lucy
« Reply #24 on: December 31, 2012, 08:35:37 AM »

Let us know how she is today if you can, RickyD. As Kat said if she's not popping or clicking now and moving normally I wouldn't worry much.
Talon
Talon
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal