Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: INTERNAL CONNECTION  (Read 5498 times)

GreatestCaution

• Leaving the nest
  • Male
INTERNAL CONNECTION
« on: November 21, 2012, 02:51:32 PM »

Hello PLEO-addicts!

I wanted to know If anyone disarmed PLEO rb to take a look the internal PCB's or If anyone can tell me how are connected internally the different CPU's (Head-Body-Servodriver CPU).

The only one Image found:

I Know there are 7 CPU's and I know what controls every one, but, which type of serial connection are used every one? All of them I2C?  I read that Servo-driver CPU uses UART serial connection maybe... And probably Could be the lateness of the SD photo recorder card justified about this way, isn't it?

Anyone Can help me please? Is for a work!

Thanks!

PleoPet

• Pleontologist
  • Female
Re: INTERNAL CONNECTION
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2012, 07:33:01 AM »

Those photos are for the original Pleo ("UGOBE" Pleo)

The PleoRB basic hardware is similar. They doubled the DataFlash size (for Pawn programs, sounds and motions) to 8MB. The core body processor is the same.
The single head processor (LPC2103F) was replaced with two (as yet unknown) processors in the head, with much more FlashROM for programs (voice recognition, camera control, etc)

You can read my summary of the old hardware here: http://www.aibohack.com/pleo/tech1.htm
And the update for the PleoRB here: http://www.aibohack.com/pleorb/tech1rb.htm

I didn't get into probing the exact protocols used between processors. You can figure that out if you have a scope/logic analyzer probe and a working and partially disassembled Pleo. What are you trying to do ?

For software hacks, you can use the monitor interface. See the original PDK documentation "Pleo Monitor.pdf" which describes the packet interface (115200 baud).
They changed some things on the PleoRB, but it is not well documented.

Good luck

GreatestCaution

• Leaving the nest
  • Male
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2012, 09:52:38 AM »

Yeah, yeah!... I've read it!

But the bitrate (bauds) doesn't solve me the type of serial connection are, can be I2C or UART or SPI, I believe that all CPUs has all of them.

Probably to know the wire's connection of each one themself I could supose wich one of serial connection are.

If I don't be sure about the connection I'll focus on the sensors  that hangs in each CPU and that's all!

Only ask if anybody has been the opportunity of open it and take shots of HARDWARE.

I have to do a type of homework about PLEO.

Thanks a lot for the answer!

InmemoryofRomeo

• Global Moderator
  • Pleo Grand Master RB
  • au Female
  • Pleo(s): Lilo, Stitch, Pleakley, Jumba, Nani, Yuki, Angus, Pluto
  • : 2011 winner2009 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
  • SAVE THE EARTH It's the only planet with chocolate
    • Professor
    • Wile_E_Coyote
    • Marcie
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2012, 01:04:15 PM »

You could have a look at some of the repair videos, but we tend to try and put them back together rather than pull them apart :P Pleopet is the resident expert on the internals of Pleo.

RWM has a broken Pleo she might be able to get some pics from.
Eagerly awaiting Vector and Blue!

kat

• Pleo Grand Master, 2nd epoch
  • au Female
  • Pleo(s): Kermit (Pink RB), Norbit (Green RB), Pickle(nude RB), Gumble, Minyon and Frankie
  • : 2013 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
    • Marvin_Martian
    • Kermit
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2012, 03:21:59 PM »

I've opened up a few but never gotten deep enough to reach the CPU parts.  As IMR says we tend to be just trying to repair a particular issue and put the pleo back together so haven't actually pulled one apart completely.  Crewella has done a lot of poking around inside pleos as well so maybe she might have some pics somewhere that could help you.

Crewella

• Pleo Grand Master RB
  • gb Female
  • Pleo(s): Iggy, Budge, Moschops, Monty, Emmy. Belle, Zillah, Tribble
  • : 2010 winnerTomat Harvest Festivals
    • Ginger
    • Pepe_Le_Pew
    • Animal
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2012, 05:34:37 PM »

I do have Ugobe Pleos in pieces, but not RBs.  If you do want pics, I'm happy to help but you'll need to explain in words of one syllable exactly what you want, as I'm OK with mechanics but not knowledgeable when it comes to electronics!  :-[  :moose:

PM me if you do think I can help.  :mobile:

GreatestCaution

• Leaving the nest
  • Male
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2012, 03:07:12 PM »

You could have a look at some of the repair videos, but we tend to try and put them back together rather than pull them apart :P Pleopet is the resident expert on the internals of Pleo.

RWM has a broken Pleo she might be able to get some pics from.

Yeah! I know, PleoPet is the expert!
Really? If I could have a few pics of PLEOrb PCB's it would be fantastic!

Quote from: Crewella
I do have Ugobe Pleos in pieces, but not RBs.  If you do want pics, I'm happy to help but you'll need to explain in words of one syllable exactly what you want, as I'm OK with mechanics but not knowledgeable when it comes to electronics!  Embarrassed  Moose

PM me if you do think I can help.  Smiley on cell phone

Pics of the all Printed Circuit Board into Pleorb, if it Can be.

@PLEOPET -> Could you tell me How runs the protocol when you use a program into SD? Is it loaded to DataFlash 8M or something similar data memory?

Thank you very much Ladies! ;)

kat

• Pleo Grand Master, 2nd epoch
  • au Female
  • Pleo(s): Kermit (Pink RB), Norbit (Green RB), Pickle(nude RB), Gumble, Minyon and Frankie
  • : 2013 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
    • Marvin_Martian
    • Kermit
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2012, 04:18:33 PM »

Unfortunately RWM's pleo in pieces is a Ugobe not a RB.  I don't know of anyone who has pulled apart an RB completely.  I have done a little bit of opening them up and fixing but not deeply enough to get to the circuit boards.  They are all housed in the middle I think with the main board being on the bottom closest to the battery compartment and on off switch.  There is probably one in the head too but can't be sure as I've not opened up the head before.  I will go through all my pics from RB surgery and see if there are any circuit board pics.  But like Crewella I am more mechanical and everything I have done has been trial or error.  I'm not great with the electronic side either.

PleoPet

• Pleontologist
  • Female
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2012, 07:48:40 AM »

I have taken apart an RB, but I don't know if I still have the carcass.

The main boards are almost identical to the older UGOBE boards. You probably won't learn much by looking at them.
The new head board is totally different, but the main chips (two new ARM? CPUs) are just epoxy blobs. No part numbers on them.

For determining protocols between the chips, you are probably better off attaching a scope to a partially disassembled (but still working) Pleo/PleoRB.

For firmware, I have the ARM firmware for the body CPU (for both models) and the head CPU for the older models. However you need to disassemble the ARM code and use the processor specs to figure out what is actually going on.

If you were trying to hack the CPU communication, that is where I would start (either a hardware or software approach)

--

It sounds like you are doing some form of report on the guts of the Pleo/PleoRB. Do you have a Pleo/PleoRB at your disposal ?

===
>@PLEOPET -> Could you tell me How runs the protocol when you use a program into SD? Is it loaded to DataFlash 8M or something similar data memory?
For regular use program, they run an interpreted Pawn program stored the DataFlash memory.
Read/re-read the documentation that comes with both the UGOBE PDK and the newer PleoRB PrbDK. They explain the way it works in some detail, along with how you can write your own Pawn programs.

However this is limited to Pawn programs running at a relatively high level. You have primitives that move the leg servos for you. The details of how it is done by the robot's firmware are hidden from you.

Pages: [1]   Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal