Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Forum suggestion: Posting interval  (Read 4409 times)

degers

• Administrator
  • Pleo adept
  • gb Male
  • Degers can't be choosers
Forum suggestion: Posting interval
« on: January 18, 2009, 04:56:50 PM »

People have been asking if the interval between postings can be shortened from 2 minutes.  Is this possible Mike?  I believe WGB has left because of this.

grumpy

• Administrator
  • Pleosmith
  • we Male
  • : 2008 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
    • Skipper
    • Wile_E_Coyote
    • Statler
    • Lucy
    • Bob the Pleo
Re: Forum suggestion: Posting interval
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2009, 09:22:50 PM »

This limit is part of the default settings for the board to limit/deter spammers and to help prevent people from accidentally posting the same message twice.  I know it's happened to me.  I click on the post button and nothing seems to happen because the system is slow, so I click on the post button again, thinking maybe I didn't click on it right the first time.

I have dropped it to one minute as suggested.  But I can't believe an active member for almost the whole time we've been up, who had posted around 80 times, would just suddenly up and delete their account over something like this, without ever even asking about it. :(

gucci_boi7782

• Triassic pleo master
  • Male
  • : 2009 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
  • Go Vegetarian!
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2009, 08:50:04 PM »

Not to sound too dumb, what's the time thing all about?
Save a life, go vegetarian.

www.goveg.com/factoryFarming.asp

Sophie-(Ugobe)
Eliot-(Innvo Labs)
Peanut-(Aibo ERS 31L)

"Tell me, will I dream while I am turned off?" ~Jules (Hanson Robotics)

grumpy

• Administrator
  • Pleosmith
  • we Male
  • : 2008 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
    • Skipper
    • Wile_E_Coyote
    • Statler
    • Lucy
    • Bob the Pleo
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2009, 03:44:17 PM »

As mentioned in the previous post, when you post a message to one of the topics, the forum starts a timer.  It will not let you post another message until the timer expires.  Right now the timer is set to 60 seconds.  This is primarily meant to help prevent automatic robots from posting lots of spam to a forum by limiting how often they can post.  In the same manner, it prevents humans from accidentally posting the same message twice, or from intentionally posting lots of canned or fluff messages in a short period of time.  The drawback is, someone who is a fast typist may post a message to one topic, go to a second topic and type in a new message and be blocked from making a legitimate second post.   Most people aren't that fast and will never even notice that they are blocked.  The longer the delay, the more effective for blocking unwanted stuff, but also for interfering with normal members.  So the trade-off is to find the longest time that will go unnoticed by the average folk, and thus block the most unwanted stuff.

If you are ever blocked because of this, the solution is to wait a minute, then click on the post button again.

dleeh1

• Leaving the nest
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2009, 09:27:30 PM »

Sounds stupid but how does one make an initial post? I see no "post" blocks like the one below and it's not addressed in the FAQs or info for beginners. I went to the chat room and there was no one there.

Here's what I wanted to post. I got a Pleo several weeks ago and then got one for my cousin. I have upgraded mine, she has not. Then when I found out Ugobe had shut down I ordered another one. It arrived yesterday. Two questions: All Pleos I have seen have a walking bias to the right...they can not go to the left. Is that true for all of them and is there a way to correct that? And is it possible that the Pleo that I received yesterday was already upgraded to 1.1? It sure seems like it...rub under the neck and he sings.

fancyfont

• Cretaceous pleo master
  • us Female
  • Pleo(s): Peeky, Pennie, JayCamerasaurus (J.C.), LOA, baby and DinhaJo
  • : 2013 winner2011 winner2008 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
  • No, Peeky and Pennie, you can't have the Harley!
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2009, 11:26:31 PM »

I see that you found out how to post a new topic!
BTW welcome to the forum. This is a great group! What are you pleo's names? :)

mweed

• Grand Poobah
  • Triassic pleo master
  • us Male
  • Pleo(s): Bob, Mopey
  • : Tomat Harvest Festivals
    • Professor
    • Wile_E_Coyote
    • Dr_Bunsen_Honeydew
    • Snoopy
    • Bob the Pleo
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2009, 08:59:25 AM »

It is possible that the new pleo already has 1.1 installed.   It seems they started shipping them like that late last year.

As to walking to the right, they do tend to favor that direction, but they will turn to the left, and can walk a straight line . . .   It may just take some time and practice . . .

49er

• Journeypleo
  • Male
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2009, 10:28:20 AM »

As to walking to the right, they do tend to favor that direction, but they will turn to the left, and can walk a straight line . . .   It may just take some time and practice . . .

So how did you train Bob to turn left?  When he turned right did you wave your index finger at him and say "Baaaaaaad dino!" :D
Pages: [1]   Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal