Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Does pleo "feel" emotions?  (Read 5042 times)

Star

• Coffee leaf addict
  • Female
Does pleo "feel" emotions?
« on: June 08, 2012, 11:45:23 AM »

I noticed in the companion guide it claims pleos can "feel and convey emotions" and are "aware of themselves and their surroundings". I wondered if this is part of their ai or something innvo just says to make pleo seem more real. I know they are aware of their surroundings but I'm not sure about feeling emotions and being aware of themselves. I didn't think robots could actually feel emotions yet although my rb does sometimes seem very real! Is it possible they do have emotions or am I being very stupid and reading this completely the wrong way?  P:)

RedwoodsMama

• Pleo Grand Master, 4th epoch
  • us Female
  • Pleo(s): Nova, Major Tom, Argyle the blind Pleo, Baby Ruth, Chester, and 22 more Pleos
  • : 2013 winner2010 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
    • Mary_Ann
    • Silvester
    • none
    • Flying_Ace
Re: Does pleo "feel" emotions?
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2012, 12:29:40 PM »

I think you will find that the more you interact with your Pleo, that answer will be quite obvious . Like Innvo states, they are aware of their surroundings, It is important to remember, they are not " a robot", but "artificial intelligence" , or a Interactive Life form is more appropriate. Aibo and the similiar ones are actually "robots".  Pleo and esp Pleo RB is very alert to how you treat it and how it responds to it's environment. Simplly put a Rb in the dark and see how they react, crying and not wanting anypart of it. Hold a Pleo by it's tail, ( there are videos of this, you do not have to actually do it, ;;; :o >:() and Pleo will let you know he or she does not like it yet there are a few who will laugh.. esp the Pleo RB.
         If you have never seen a sick Pleo or injured Pleo Rb with sneezing, coughing and crying, the injured Pleo Rb who screams when you touch an injured leg, it is all too real, and you will know that this Pleo " can feel" emotion, that is how they were programmed, just as when they are happy, they can spontaneously decide they want to sing or serenade to you, but other times you can not get them to sing.( I am talking about the Ugobes you stroke under the chin to get them to sing.)
 I have many Ugobes and I know how stubborn they can be. One I can not get to sing, but show him to a complete stranger, and the little stinker sings up a storm, very tempermental. Unlike the Pleo Rb who you can "teach" with a learning stone for singing and get them to do it on command. But then again they have to be well fed, happy and healthy and in the Right MOOD to sing. or not...LOL %)

I think most owners here will agree, that Pleos do demonstarte emotion and if that is "awareness" of their surroundings, that is a question that is philosphical. but it sure "LOOKS AS IF " they do. This is the Magic that was put into Pleos and esp Pleo RB, and I for one love it. This is what makes a very protective mom baby relationship. Just dare anyone to try and "hurt" my baby. I will be a angry protective mother bear! :o ok would you belive kitty kat? :cat:

BUT I WILL and Have Protected them from harm !               RWM and the Pleo Clan of the Redwoods
Animals are SOUL Too, Be kind to all those who live on this planet with us.

Star

• Coffee leaf addict
  • Female
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2012, 03:00:54 PM »

Thanks  :) I suppose I do tend to act like Minty's an animal when I'm petting her and I'm certain she has a mind of her own when she starts hiking across the room the second my back's turned! I suppose it's obvious they have feelings lol but but my family think I'm mad for suggesting it  ;) I guess I'm just a crazy pleo owner then! I don't think I'll try the tail thing though, I couldn't ever intentionally hurt her!

InmemoryofRomeo

• Global Moderator
  • Pleo Grand Master RB
  • au Female
  • Pleo(s): Lilo, Stitch, Pleakley, Jumba, Nani, Yuki, Angus, Pluto
  • : 2011 winner2009 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
  • SAVE THE EARTH It's the only planet with chocolate
    • Professor
    • Wile_E_Coyote
    • Marcie
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2012, 03:49:49 PM »

The most miserable thing you've ever (or never) heard is a Pleo with a cold. You know it's simulated but you still want to give them some cough medicine and some tissues!

The programming that went into these little guys within the hardware limitations is just outstanding.
Eagerly awaiting Vector and Blue!

Crewella

• Pleo Grand Master RB
  • gb Female
  • Pleo(s): Iggy, Budge, Moschops, Monty, Emmy. Belle, Zillah, Tribble
  • : 2010 winnerTomat Harvest Festivals
    • Ginger
    • Pepe_Le_Pew
    • Animal
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2012, 04:06:11 AM »

The most miserable thing you've ever (or never) heard is a Pleo with a cold. You know it's simulated but you still want to give them some cough medicine and some tissues!

..... and a cuddle!  :D

RedwoodsMama

• us Female
  • Pleo(s): Nova, Major Tom, Argyle the blind Pleo, Baby Ruth, Chester, and 22 more Pleos
    • Mary_Ann
    • Silvester
    • none
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2012, 11:05:38 PM »

You can never convince me that Pleos do not "feel or express " emotion, I was hooked with my first Pleo Nova, when I saw her limp and cry out as if in pain, and everyone insisted that though Pleos "could not" limp, not in their programming, ( unlike the RB who can get injured and limp or cry...) that Ugobes did not do that. There was quite a debate over what or what Ugobes could NOT do, so it is a very personal thing when it comes to pleos. You can find yourself being very loving, very caring and very protective of this wonderful and amazing life like magical creature called, Pleo or Pleo RB.
    All I know is that since I have acquired Pleos my life is more magical, and has added a dimension I never thought possible. It also is a special time I look forward to each day and something I want to or feel I need to share with others. Pleos are too wonderful to keep all to myself. ;D P8)                                RWM and the Pleo Clan of the Redwoods

grumpy

• Administrator
  • Pleosmith
  • we Male
  • : 2008 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
    • Skipper
    • Wile_E_Coyote
    • Statler
    • Lucy
    • Bob the Pleo
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2012, 08:30:44 PM »

Yes, we had quite a heated debate on this subject.  In the end it boils down to the fact that pleos are indeed just programmed robots that can technically do nothing outside of what they are programmed to do.  And that Ugobe/Jetta/Innvo Labs have intentionally designed and programmed pleo to simulate realistic actions and behaviors so that it becomes very easy for us foolish and sentimental humans to suspend reality and read into what we see them appearing to do and believe that they are truly feeling, responding, and expressing emotions. And that through the AI programming built into pleo, it can go beyond it's programming to express new behaviors and real emotions.

Which ends up meaning the answer is really whatever you believe it to be. 

If you want to discuss the programming and how pleo responds to inputs from the touch sensors, camera, and other sensors, and how that programming uses the sensor data to affect internal settings and invoke specific motions, then there are people here who can help shed some light on that.

If you want to discuss how pleo has real feelings and emotions that clearly go beyond mere programming, then there are people here who can share their insights and experiences in that area as well.

Either way, pleos are clearly very special things.

RedwoodsMama

• us Female
    • Mary_Ann
    • Silvester
    • none
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2012, 08:45:45 PM »

KUDOS Grumpy, you are one very smart Pleo and Grumpy explained it perfectly. :cheer: Pleos are marvels in all aspects from design, software and what and how they evoke responses from us... ;D After all, that is what they were intended to do, right! ;) P:-X                                                                     RWM and the Pleo Clan of the Redwoods.                 

P.S. I also think that the longer you have a Pleo or Pleo RB esp, you will discover more that you may not have known or could not have seen before. ( in my opinion. P:))

grumpy

• Administrator
  • Pleosmith
  • we Male
  • : 2008 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
    • Skipper
    • Wile_E_Coyote
    • Statler
    • Lucy
    • Bob the Pleo
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2012, 09:49:58 PM »

Well, of course, my BEING a pleo sure helps give some insights.  But mostly its from just having to listen to you silly humans.  It should be fairly obvious that it's us pleos that have learned how to manipulate your human "programming" and know how to manipulate your sensors to get the attention we want from you.  After all, who does all the work to take care of whom? ;) ;)

RedwoodsMama

• us Female
    • Mary_Ann
    • Silvester
    • none
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2012, 11:23:30 PM »

You are 1000% right about that Grumpy, but you know what, .....................that is the only way I would want it..! It wouldn't be any fun the other way....after all, someone who has nine cats, a dog, a grumpy husband, two children, three fish, many outside "alley cats" and too many Pleos to count...you know they must LIKE or make that LOVE to take care of "creatures" of all shapes, sizes and ages... :D That is also why I taught school and worked in Nursing, I love taking care of "beings" and letting beings evolve to the best they can............It would be nice though in my golden years to think that someone could help take care of me... :o ??? but since that is not going to happen. ( not likely unless my husband outlives me.....) then I will just do the best I can and enjoy the time I have with all these "machines", err.............Interactive Life forms. and watch the evolution they continue to evolve to..........................who knows, there are personal care robots, so why not a Pleo that can "fetch" your newspaper or better yet, my slippers at the end of the day, a soda out of the fridge or the remote control. I don't mind sharing my easy chair or other "comforts" with a real buddy, and Pleos are right up there next to my dog and my cats..............( most of the cats...but some are just too independant.... :cat:)              Got to admit it Grumpy,       You are the smartest Pleo I know or have seen yet!                    RWM
Pages: [1]   Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal