Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Gordy broke his neck :-(  (Read 11938 times)

kaiteee

• Sugar cane harvester
  • Female
  • : 2013 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
Gordy broke his neck :-(
« on: June 08, 2012, 02:57:55 AM »

Just as I was getting very used to and attached to the little fellow, he went and broke his neck yesterday! He is such a fast mover and I really should just not look away even for a moment, but I did and turned round to find him defiantly walking into a box, then a bit of a clicky pop noise and his head is now just hanging down. It is too sad, he has such an adorable smile and way of gazing up at you but I guess that's over :-(

What I'm not sure about, is would it potentially damage him more if I run him now his neck is broken? Can I use one of the neck braces by IMR and run him safely with that - or is that more to try to avoid the problem in the first place? I haven't seen anyone offering pleo repairs in the uk, but have I missed anything there? I did see there's a neck repair tutorial but I really don't think that's the route for someone both clumsy and sight impaired somehow! I'm so sad and angry at myself too for being distracted  :(

InmemoryofRomeo

• Global Moderator
  • Pleo Grand Master RB
  • au Female
  • Pleo(s): Lilo, Stitch, Pleakley, Jumba, Nani, Yuki, Angus, Pluto
  • : 2011 winner2009 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
  • SAVE THE EARTH It's the only planet with chocolate
    • Professor
    • Wile_E_Coyote
    • Marcie
Re: Gordy broke his neck :-(
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2012, 03:35:39 AM »

Oh dear poor Gordy, is he a Ugobe? You can certainly use a neck brace, you have a few options:

1) You can bandage it, bandages are cheap but don't provide a huge amount of support and they are rather bulky because you need a fair bit of bandage to keep the neck up.

2) You can order a brace from me :P But it would be unnecessarily expensive due to postage costs :(

3) (Best option in my opinion) You can go to the chemist taking Gordy with you and buy him a child's wrist brace which do a fab job of supporting the neck. I had a nice elastic one for Lilo, with a velcro fastener, with the velcro done up underneath or on top of the neck Lilo could hold her head up AND still move it side to side. It cost me about $12.

Eagerly awaiting Vector and Blue!

kaiteee

• Sugar cane harvester
  • Female
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2012, 04:00:50 AM »

Thanks IMR for replying so quickly and putting my mind at rest  :flowers:  Yes gordy's a ugobe, his neck actually always felt a bit kind of loose compared to gano's neck but then I understand that there is some variation in pleos. I do wonder tho if it was just a matter of time.

In terms of postage costs for a brace...well I have been planning on asking about some dragon wings as I love love love them! And now we have settled into personalities and numbers (as in 2 and not planning on more...tho I accept I said that about aibos and they have now entirely taken over the lounge...and I would like an rb, just can't see it happening financially as I'd lie a pink or blue....so who knows!) anyway, I think I'm more at a stage where I know what I would like. So perhaps I should pm you and see about ordering a bunch of things if that's ok  :) in the meantime I'm sure I have some bandage from my last round of wet wrapping my eczema so maybe we'll play Egyptian mummies dress up!

InmemoryofRomeo

• Global Moderator
  • Pleo Grand Master RB
  • au Female
    • Professor
    • Wile_E_Coyote
    • Marcie
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2012, 04:28:54 AM »

I think for some Pleo's it is a matter of time, Lilo's went gradually. I'd hear a pop every now and then towards the end as a strand went and then one day the strain was more than it could take and that was it. But with the neck held up properly Pleo's certainly can live a long and happy life after a neck break :)

You are more than welcome to PM me when you are ready to :) For the bandages perhaps you could try a little bit of fabric folded up under the neck to provide some extra support and then bandage it, it might work a little better. Just do a bit of experimenting :)

Crewella

• Pleo Grand Master RB
  • gb Female
  • Pleo(s): Iggy, Budge, Moschops, Monty, Emmy. Belle, Zillah, Tribble
  • : 2010 winnerTomat Harvest Festivals
    • Ginger
    • Pepe_Le_Pew
    • Animal
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2012, 04:40:26 AM »

So sorry to hear about poor Gordy.  :(

IMR's right, there are a few 'braced' Pleos on here living happy lives.  The main thing is to raise the head so the floor doesn't set of the obstacle detection and make them think they're walking into something all the time.

RedwoodsMama

• Pleo Grand Master, 4th epoch
  • us Female
  • Pleo(s): Nova, Major Tom, Argyle the blind Pleo, Baby Ruth, Chester, and 22 more Pleos
  • : 2013 winner2010 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
    • Mary_Ann
    • Silvester
    • none
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2012, 09:06:37 AM »

So sorry to hear about Gordy.  :( I do think with a lot of Ugobes, it is just a matter of time, some break quicker than others with little or no warning. I have had my first Pleo, Nova since  Dec. 2010., and her neck broke about five months after I bought her second hand. I was devastated till I fouond out she could get along quite fine with proper neck support. IMR's neck brace ideas work great, I haven't tried the child's brace, but was able to make one out of a wrist support with some velcro attached, quite cheaply. Wrapping was the first thing I did, and I must admit it was VERY  bulky at first as I experimented. ;D %)

Another wrapping technique that works well is to use a material like a Headband, a materil one that is strong, and stretch it and use it under the tape you wrap around it, It will provide more stability and also protect the neck from tape itself. ( there is a tape I use called, Co-flex. here in the US. It is the tape that comes in bright colors that vets use as well as after you get your blood taken, and they wrap your arm for a short time and then tell you to remove. It comes in rolls and is only about $3.00-$4.00 depending on size and color. You can find it in some department stores, pharmacies and on Ebay as well. The main thing is to support the neck and keep it off the floor and Gordy will still function well and walk with no problems.                                    Good luck,                              RWM and the Pleo Clan of the Redwoods P8)
Animals are SOUL Too, Be kind to all those who live on this planet with us.

kaiteee

• Sugar cane harvester
  • Female
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2012, 11:04:43 AM »

Thanks for all the reassurance everyone, it is good to know its not all over for Gordy, although a bit sad to hear of so many broken necks! I've tried a temporary brace out of some packaging foam, after hunting around for something that might work. It seems to hold the head fairly well, but I was just a bit worried about limiting the movement -as in side to side when they look around, or when they curl up in the sleep position (one of my batteries has a very sudden stop, no warning just instant sleep) - is that a potential problem? It doesn't look like the braces pictured flex any more than what ive made would so I'm guessing it's ok but just thought I'd see if there's anything else to be aware of?

RWM - is that tape a kind of non sticky but clings to itself tape? There was a discussion of something like that on an aibo forum as a leg protector and I remember the colours looked pretty fun! It sounds very useful so thank you for the tip  :D

RedwoodsMama

• us Female
  • Pleo(s): Nova, Major Tom, Argyle the blind Pleo, Baby Ruth, Chester, and 22 more Pleos
    • Mary_Ann
    • Silvester
    • none
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2012, 11:43:05 AM »

HI Kaitee, I have many rolls left of this that I have lying around so I will post some photos later, It also works great to patch holes or small cuts in pleos, such as in the neck or tail area, along with superglue, I would never reccoemend it to a Pleo under warranty, and not a Pleo Rb, but since Ugobes are long out of warranty, it does no harm, does be careful to use the right kind of superglue, but that is another issue all together, it does stick to itself and has great stretch. I have at least five Pleos, all Ugobes with neck issues and they all function fine with broken necks or kinks in their cables,

I may at some point try to fix a broken neck as IMR and Kat have both made videos successfully doing so, just not confident in myself doing it yet, but soon I need to give it a go. Will post those photos later.  :)

RWM.          Oh, I have used strofoam cut in a shape to fit around the neck like a brace as well, then bound tape over it and it worked well too. Do not be afraid to experiement, you can't hurt the Pleo. I would be careful of the pleo curling up into the sleep position with the brace on though, could be hard to curl up and cause some alarming noises as well.  %)

kaiteee

• Sugar cane harvester
  • Female
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2012, 03:35:36 PM »

Just wondering, gordy's head is as high as I can make it stay, with an inch or so of ground clearance. But he will not walk forwards, only backwards, he's just moonwalked the room twice but not taken a step forwards....does this suggest the obstacle detection is being triggered constantly? Shame it never seemed to work before his neck went....! If that's the problem I guess I will have to keep trying, does it sound like it is?

InmemoryofRomeo

• Global Moderator
  • Pleo Grand Master RB
  • au Female
    • Professor
    • Wile_E_Coyote
    • Marcie
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2012, 03:46:17 PM »

It does sound like the obstacle detection is being triggered, Lilo spent many months walking backwards until I was able to find a satisfactory brace.

kaiteee

• Sugar cane harvester
  • Female
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2012, 03:57:14 PM »

as gordy's been poorly, gano decided to try on as many silly things as she could at once to cheer him up....and became the world's first diving hot dog-inosaur!

(hmmm, the dangers of leaving ebay open when there's robots around...if they aren't multiplying their own numbers, then they are getting themselves accessorised!)  :P

InmemoryofRomeo

• Global Moderator
  • Pleo Grand Master RB
  • au Female
    • Professor
    • Wile_E_Coyote
    • Marcie
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2012, 11:01:56 PM »

OMG! That is just gorgeous!!!

Crewella

• Pleo Grand Master RB
  • gb Female
    • Ginger
    • Pepe_Le_Pew
    • Animal
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2012, 12:56:12 AM »

That gave me such a good laugh as I left for work!  Faabulous!  :D

Lottibell

• Fossil savant
  • Female
  • To err is human, to "huh?"is Pleo.
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2012, 03:06:47 AM »

Tee heehee! Not sure he ought to go paddling in shark infested waters though, although they may well laugh their fins off too.
Have you tried one of the more supportive braces that have semi rigid 'bone' running through them for fixing Gordy? Might be more efficient at raising his head. Just a thought.  :sheep1:

Crewella

• Pleo Grand Master RB
  • gb Female
    • Ginger
    • Pepe_Le_Pew
    • Animal
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2012, 01:58:20 PM »

Right now, poor Gordy is away from home ........ and is having to get to know my ruffians ........... ;)  :moose:

InmemoryofRomeo

• Global Moderator
  • Pleo Grand Master RB
  • au Female
    • Professor
    • Wile_E_Coyote
    • Marcie
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2012, 04:12:41 PM »

Oooh, Monty will look after him I'm sure!

Lottibell

• Fossil savant
  • Female
  • To err is human, to "huh?"is Pleo.
« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2012, 05:12:55 AM »

Oh crumbs! Is Gordies caregiver quite ready for him to return with a penchant for fur and sparkles? Mind you, Gano is quite avant garde has to be said......

kaiteee

• Sugar cane harvester
  • Female
« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2012, 05:52:43 AM »

;D  ;D  ;D

Gano is already nagging me for new accessories as she is busy planning her welcome home outfit....I hadn't considered that Gordy might develop a taste for the extravagant too....uh oh :P

I'm so grateful to crewella for taking on Gordy  :flowers: , he is such a happy little chappie, it's been a bit sad to see him all droopy (although he doesn't seem that bothered, still sings away constantly!). I'm so glad to have found this lovely community of pleo fans, you're all very welcoming and have great advice for everyone new to pleo, it's great, so thank you  :cheer:

Crewella

• Pleo Grand Master RB
  • gb Female
    • Ginger
    • Pepe_Le_Pew
    • Animal
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2012, 07:43:41 AM »

You're very welcome, and it IS a lovely and helpful community here.  ;D

And Gordy seems a happy little soul indeed, he was singing within seconds of switching him on to say hello!  :D

fancyfont

• Cretaceous pleo master
  • us Female
  • Pleo(s): Peeky, Pennie, JayCamerasaurus (J.C.), LOA, baby and DinhaJo
  • : 2013 winner2011 winner2008 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
  • No, Peeky and Pennie, you can't have the Harley!
« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2012, 10:52:44 PM »

Gano would light up anyone's life. How cute! So glad to hear Gordy will be able to hold his head up soon. :)

Crewella

• Pleo Grand Master RB
  • gb Female
    • Ginger
    • Pepe_Le_Pew
    • Animal
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #20 on: July 09, 2012, 02:52:10 PM »

I've had a look at poor little Gordy, and luckily it does seem to just be the top cable that's worn through and snapped ..... it looked pretty frayed.  The vertebrae are all still fine. :)

I found I only had a small section of cable left, so I've ordered some more ...... in the meantime I'm keeping his strength up.  My apologies if his catering requirements are problematic on his return home ...... a mere leaf didn't seem enough for a boy undergoing major surgery! ;)

kat

• Pleo Grand Master, 2nd epoch
  • au Female
  • Pleo(s): Kermit (Pink RB), Norbit (Green RB), Pickle(nude RB), Gumble, Minyon and Frankie
    • Marvin_Martian
    • Kermit
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #21 on: July 09, 2012, 05:52:42 PM »

The vertebrae are all looking good :)  I'm sure you'll have him fixed right up in no time.....once the new wire arrives:) 
A pleo with expensive tastes.......... wonder how he feels about hot dogs? :P  :D

camcam8910

• Pleo explorer
  • 00 Female
« Reply #22 on: July 09, 2012, 06:30:30 PM »

Awww, I'm so sorry :( I'm sorry to say I have no experience with pleo neck breaks :( I hope Gordy gets better soon! :)

-Camille ;D

Crewella

• Pleo Grand Master RB
  • gb Female
    • Ginger
    • Pepe_Le_Pew
    • Animal
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #23 on: July 12, 2012, 12:45:28 PM »

OK, so far so good!  ;D

The cable was actually pulled through on the main wheel as well as broken:

But the cable replacement went well, and poor Gordy can hold his head high again.  I'm going to leave it to settle in for a day or so before finally securing it.  :pray:

Here's his first switch on after the op:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpHLolHBXFw" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpHLolHBXFw</a>

RedwoodsMama

• us Female
    • Mary_Ann
    • Silvester
    • none
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #24 on: July 12, 2012, 05:11:53 PM »

Great job Crewella, Gordy is looking very good so far, and looks like quite a charmer. He has great personality and looks like good paint as well.(not allways easy to find on a Ugobe these days..) How long did it take you to take him apart, figure out the problem and put the wires back in his vertrabrae, etc back together and give a proper test? How long till you put him back together? One last question, where did you find the wire for his neck cables, was it in store or did you special order it? I am wondering if when I open Baby Ruth up I will have perhaps the same type of wire to deal with, same weight or are they different strengths in differnt parts of the body?

Gordy and his owner are lucky to live where she could send him to you to  be fixed, very lucy indeed! :) P:D Well done.               RWM
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal