Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Need help for motion file  (Read 3990 times)

chen890627

• Hatchling
  • Male
Need help for motion file
« on: February 02, 2012, 02:50:34 PM »

I am doing a project with Pleo, the objective is to knock down all obstacles on the table(the original OS won't be used in this project). But I have find out that the walk-straight motion file provided by the Myskit performance editor is not walking straight, it seems turning right when start walking. So is there any one that has a better walk-straight file? thanks a lot

InmemoryofRomeo

• Global Moderator
  • Pleo Grand Master RB
  • au Female
  • Pleo(s): Lilo, Stitch, Pleakley, Jumba, Nani, Yuki, Angus, Pluto
  • : 2011 winner2009 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
  • SAVE THE EARTH It's the only planet with chocolate
    • Professor
    • Wile_E_Coyote
    • Marcie
Re: Need help for motion file
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2012, 04:49:02 PM »

If you download the PDK I believe there were a few example files included, one of which was walk straight. You may need the original PDK rather than the Reborn one. I can't remember what format it was in though.
Eagerly awaiting Vector and Blue!

grumpy

• Administrator
  • Pleosmith
  • we Male
  • : 2008 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
    • Skipper
    • Wile_E_Coyote
    • Statler
    • Lucy
    • Bob the Pleo
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2012, 05:50:07 PM »

Although this probably won't solve the problem.  It's much more subtle of an issue.  You can tell the pleo to walk straight using either MySkit or using the PDK.  The problem is two fold.  First, the actual movement files that Myskit use and that you an invoke with the PDK are flawed.  Think about the idea that each "step" forward has to be done by 4 legs.  If one leg moves even 1mm more or less than another, each step will cause the pleo to turn ever so slightly . . .  So, the first item is to ensure that the leg movements for each leg are precisely matched.  Then you have to consider how well the individual hardware respond to the programmed movements.  If one or you pleo's motors isn't responding as well as another, or a gear jams even one tooth's worth, or doesn't stretch as well, this will cause the matched programmed moves to not be executed evenly, resulting in a slight turning . . .   And finally, you have to consider the surface and foot pads.  If they slip or slide or stick, then movements are compromised, and the pleo turns . . .  end result --  all pleos tend to walk in big circles.  And in previous topics, this was discussed and the trend is to turn to the right.

The solution?   Program your own walking movements (in either MySkit or PDK) rather than using the built in movements, and figure tha you have to put some left turn movements every so many steps to counteract the turning to the right.

InmemoryofRomeo

• Global Moderator
  • Pleo Grand Master RB
  • au Female
  • Pleo(s): Lilo, Stitch, Pleakley, Jumba, Nani, Yuki, Angus, Pluto
  • : 2011 winner2009 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
  • SAVE THE EARTH It's the only planet with chocolate
    • Professor
    • Wile_E_Coyote
    • Marcie
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2012, 08:07:12 PM »

The one in the PDK was straight, it was used for the remote controlled Pleo demo. The ones from my skit are taken from Pleo's inbuilt library of files.
Eagerly awaiting Vector and Blue!

MurphyMooCake

• Sugar cane harvester
  • Male
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2012, 01:17:15 AM »

I am doing a project with Pleo, the objective is to knock down all obstacles on the table(the original OS won't be used in this project). But I have find out that the walk-straight motion file provided by the Myskit performance editor is not walking straight, it seems turning right when start walking. So is there any one that has a better walk-straight file? thanks a lot

Just goes to show the humanity of pleo, watch this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dIl4ZPy-USY

Its a human thing! Thousands of years evolution hasn't perfected it, dinos are just the same ;-)
Ugobe Pleo - Goofy

Crewella

• Pleo Grand Master RB
  • gb Female
  • Pleo(s): Iggy, Budge, Moschops, Monty, Emmy. Belle, Zillah, Tribble
  • : 2010 winnerTomat Harvest Festivals
    • Ginger
    • Pepe_Le_Pew
    • Animal
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2012, 02:03:25 AM »

Oh that did make me laugh!!  You're right!!  ;D

I have one leg 2" shorter than the other, and I walk in even tighter circles!!!  :P :P  :moose:

Talon

• Cretaceous pleo master
  • us Female
  • Pleo(s): Cato and Samantha (Pleo RB‘s), Eugobe, Terry, Cuddles, Bleu (Ugobe Pleos)
    • Lucy
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2012, 08:15:05 AM »

Wow. That's a lot of variables to consider. I hope you get your pleo on the straight and narrow. I can't walk straight either even with my cane. It's even worse if the surface between my feet is on a slope. I end up slowly angling into the lower point of the slope as I go.
Talon
Talon
Find me on YouTube at Crazy Robot Lady

Crewella

• Pleo Grand Master RB
  • gb Female
  • Pleo(s): Iggy, Budge, Moschops, Monty, Emmy. Belle, Zillah, Tribble
  • : 2010 winnerTomat Harvest Festivals
    • Ginger
    • Pepe_Le_Pew
    • Animal
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2012, 09:12:04 AM »

Just a thought ....... I wonder if manipulating or repositioning any of the limbs might help ....... or be worth a try ......?  :-\

PleoPet

• Pleontologist
  • Female
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2012, 09:11:04 AM »

Selective comments:
> ...Just goes to show the humanity of pleo, watch this:...
And they did it on Mythbusters as well: Season 9 Eps 15 (can't find it on the web, but they discuss it here http://dsc.discovery.com/videos/mythbusters-walk-a-straight-line ). Same results, no straight line on land or in the water.

>...(the original OS won't be used in this project).
I assume you mean you won't be using the default personality, but using the Pleo PDK.

Motion files:
The PDK (either original or RB) has a basic walk straight motion (com_walk_fs.csv). There are half-a-dozen others in the default personality.

Also take a look at this thread from 2 years ago (some similar problems)
http://bobthepleo.com/forums/index.php?topic=1140.0

---
>the objective is to knock down all obstacles on the table
As mentioned by others, the Pleo is not very precise at walking. Even on a known surface it will still slip and slide in unpredicable ways.
In general legged robots can't do 'dead reckoning' well. They need some feedback to do course correction.

It sounds like you have control of the environment. That's where you can add additional lights to the table to help Pleo know its location, and while walking, correct the gait to keep on track.
Can you explain more about the project? For example how is Pleo going to detect the obstacles, and the table edge?. How large is the playspace? Are you planning on pushing the obstacles with the nose, or something more elaborate like the tail?
« Last Edit: February 04, 2012, 09:15:06 AM by PleoPet »
Pages: [1]   Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal