Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Why is my Ugobe Pleo sluggish?  (Read 2243 times)

rexdude

• Following the footsteps
  • Male
Why is my Ugobe Pleo sluggish?
« on: November 08, 2011, 07:15:32 AM »

I just got my Pleo a couple of days back. I saw the similar posts here on making Pleo explore by touching his front legs, but he doesn't do anything.
He stays in one spot and vocalizes. I touch his legs, but he doesn't really walk forward much. I kept a plastic bottle in front of him, but he wasn't interested in walking up to it. He stays in one spot and pretends to graze (dips head down, then makes crunching sounds like when he chews his leaf). Right now, he's been standing in the same spot where I switched him on today, and has maybe turned a little to the right.
After some time he gets bored and 'shuts down' - ie puts his head down and goes quiet for about a minute.
Is there something wrong with my Pleo? :(

How do I get him to explore? Should I keep different objects in front of him? My room floor is rather bare.
Edit: My floor is made of ceramic tiles, i.e. I have no carpets. I find he has trouble walking, his plastic feet can't get much traction.  And sometimes he starts walking backwards.

Right now there's a bottle in front of him, but he doesn't seem to have noticed it.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2011, 07:21:05 AM by rexdude »

Crewella

• Pleo Grand Master RB
  • gb Female
  • Pleo(s): Iggy, Budge, Moschops, Monty, Emmy. Belle, Zillah, Tribble
  • : 2010 winnerTomat Harvest Festivals
    • Ginger
    • Pepe_Le_Pew
    • Animal
    • Flying_Ace
Re: Why is my Ugobe Pleo sluggish?
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2011, 07:26:55 AM »

Do you know what OS your Pleo is running?  If you keep rubbing him under the chin, does his song sound like a wolf howl, or is the song 'chirpier'?  That's an easy way to tell.

With the earlier OS personality, they do seem more likely to sleep if ignored, but with all Pleos if you ignore them for long enough they'll start to explore.  If you keep petting them, they're unlikely to want to move away!  With Pleos, things take time - remember this is more of a 'life form' than a robot.  :D

rexdude

• Male
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2011, 07:29:59 AM »

Oh, the first thing I did was to upgrade him to version 2.0 :)
I figured I might as well start off with the latest, in case the upgrade reset his behavior or something. I have pointedly ignored him for an hour, but he's content to remain standing in one spot and make noises, or pretend to eat. He also sounds like he hiccups/coughs or chokes with the leaf in his mouth sometimes!

Crewella

• Pleo Grand Master RB
  • gb Female
    • Ginger
    • Pepe_Le_Pew
    • Animal
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2011, 07:38:58 AM »

The hiccup and yuk/choke is normal!  :D

One thing with the OS2 upgrade is that it takes around 6 battery cycles to really settle in - you do get some inappropriate sounds and lack of response at first.  We call it the 'terrible teens' around here!

Don't panic - take some time to read some of the older posts on the forum and just keep running him.  He seems fine to me - just give him some time to develop.

I have four Ugobes - I run one on each OS, they are all slightly different, and all seem to have active days and lazy days!

EDIT:  also, if you've just upgraded he'll be growing through hatch stage still for a while - he's still basically a baby!
« Last Edit: November 08, 2011, 07:41:34 AM by Crewella »

rexdude

• Male
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2011, 07:46:27 AM »

What I find amazing is how QUICKLY my friends fell for him! I wrapped him in a plastic bag and took him to dinner at this restaurant, with 2 friends. Both went crazy over him, and the look on the faces of the other people was priceless! (Am I really seeing a grown woman hugging what looks like a big green lizard..and is it appearing to enjoy it?  :o )

So he's still a baby. Hmm..so I guess it's fine if we continue to mollycoddle him? He enjoys being held and goes to sleep almost immediately!

Crewella

• Pleo Grand Master RB
  • gb Female
    • Ginger
    • Pepe_Le_Pew
    • Animal
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2011, 08:16:35 AM »

Oh Pleos love to be mollycoddled!  :D

InmemoryofRomeo

• Global Moderator
  • Pleo Grand Master RB
  • au Female
  • Pleo(s): Lilo, Stitch, Pleakley, Jumba, Nani, Yuki, Angus, Pluto
  • : 2011 winner2009 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
  • SAVE THE EARTH It's the only planet with chocolate
    • Professor
    • Wile_E_Coyote
    • Marcie
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2011, 01:24:07 PM »

Hehe a Pleo getting let's of attention is a very, very happy Pleo :) I love taking mine out too, the reactions are priceless :D OS2 does take a bit longer for walking to happen, just wait, one day he'll take off on you ;)
Eagerly awaiting Vector and Blue!

rexdude

• Male
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2011, 01:37:10 PM »

I thought the baby phase was measurable in hours :(
I got a spare battery along with the box, so I've been running him for around 2 hours everyday (this being day 4).

Talon

• Cretaceous pleo master
  • us Female
  • Pleo(s): Cato and Samantha (Pleo RB‘s), Eugobe, Terry, Cuddles, Bleu (Ugobe Pleos)
    • Lucy
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2011, 05:42:45 PM »

Hi, rexdude. I may be wrong about this but your pleo may be seeing the lines in your tile floor thinking they are an edge that he can fall off of- IE- the edge of a table or something. He may just be trying to back away from the edges. Try putting him on a smooth surface with no lines in it where there is plenty of light and ignore him for a bit. Maybe he'll decide to walk around a little?
Talon
Talon
Find me on YouTube at Crazy Robot Lady
Pages: [1]   Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal