Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: This just sickens me.  (Read 1575 times)

MegandArtemis

• Conifer Leaf gatherer
  • Female
  • Pleos hahaha
This just sickens me.
« on: October 01, 2011, 06:10:04 PM »

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pQUCd4SbgM0" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pQUCd4SbgM0</a>  :'( :'( :'(

I mean, sure it's a toy, but did you hear the guy laughing at 1:21 and 1:48? It just makes me sick. I mean, its one thing to test somethings durability and its another thing to laugh at somethings "pain" even if it is "programmed."

What are your guys' feelings about this? Is this "animal abuse", entertaining or testing?

- Meg and Artemis

InmemoryofRomeo

• Global Moderator
  • Pleo Grand Master RB
  • au Female
  • Pleo(s): Lilo, Stitch, Pleakley, Jumba, Nani, Yuki, Angus, Pluto
  • : 2011 winner2009 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
  • SAVE THE EARTH It's the only planet with chocolate
    • Professor
    • Wile_E_Coyote
    • Marcie
Re: This just sickens me.
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2011, 07:47:36 PM »

That's a very old video. Its not a nice video but to say its cruelty to animals is probably going a bit far.
Eagerly awaiting Vector and Blue!

Crewella

• Pleo Grand Master RB
  • gb Female
  • Pleo(s): Iggy, Budge, Moschops, Monty, Emmy. Belle, Zillah, Tribble
  • : 2010 winnerTomat Harvest Festivals
    • Ginger
    • Pepe_Le_Pew
    • Animal
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2011, 09:41:46 PM »

I think the difficulty comes because Pleo is a robot designed to communicate emotions, so when it seems to be writhing and screaming it's hard for us to watch.  In normal life if we see something react like that it's because something is suffering and we feel empathy, ............ or at least we, as human beings, are supposed to.  The fact that the tormentors in that video are having such fun is doubly worrying, as you cannot tell if they are any different from the types who snicker while they torture small furry animals.  They may well just be techy types who understand the difference between a robot and a sentient being and are used to testing tech to extemes, but you can't really tell that from watching.  :-\

InmemoryofRomeo

• Global Moderator
  • Pleo Grand Master RB
  • au Female
  • Pleo(s): Lilo, Stitch, Pleakley, Jumba, Nani, Yuki, Angus, Pluto
  • : 2011 winner2009 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
  • SAVE THE EARTH It's the only planet with chocolate
    • Professor
    • Wile_E_Coyote
    • Marcie
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2011, 10:24:34 PM »

To be fair it does rather sound to me like they are laughing in a bit of disbelief. More like "What the heck" than "Hay that's hilarious".
Eagerly awaiting Vector and Blue!

bhobbes

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2011, 11:41:29 AM »

I snickered at the bag part (reminded me of one of my childhood cats) and laughed at the slow-mo drop when he's upside down going into the table. But more of a laugh because I think ouch that sounded like it hurt but then realize it's not a living thing and doesn't actually feel pain (I wouldn't laugh at it happening to a real thing).

They're in a corporate/office setting so unless  they're the lowest rungs on the ladder, they're high enough on the food chain to exploit people and are unlikely to fit the general demographic of those who actually torture real animals. I'd err on the side of techy/silly fun vs malicious anything.

N.S.E.C.T.

• Coffee leaf addict
  • Male
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2011, 07:56:02 PM »

they shouldn't do that type of stuff to a pleo ..it is not right and they can really damage him .pleos where not made to be handled like that ..I ahve to agree with megandartemis on this

jpdude11

• Sugar cane harvester
  • Male
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2011, 10:41:26 PM »

I cant even afford a pleo and these hotos are here doing tjat to one....... must be nice to poopy money ^-^

abbikinz

• Leaving the nest
  • Female
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2011, 04:46:58 PM »

Ive seen the video several times and it does make me sad. I mean the first few hits and drops should have been enough. They didnt have to keep going for there own entertainment!

scaledandtailed

• Pleo lightbringer
  • Female
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2011, 09:31:34 AM »

As crewella   stated   I think  the hard part  about watching   that video is that the    reactions  of the people in the video   towards something that  mimics pain  it   seems to us  to be an inappropriate reaction   regardless of weather or  not   the object can actually feel pain.
 I think  that   that’s  actually aside from the issue  tbh.
   I have to say I strongly disagree with the idea that animal cruelty falls with in certain   demographics.    Sure your more likely  to here   about it from people at the lower end of the social  scale giving the elusion that  there is some  demographic   but   in actual fact   most studies show  that animal cruelty infact cruelty of all kinds   is right across the board.
     The idea that it is otherwise is  a faulce one  but  an oddley  cumferting one.  which is proberbly why it  remains  so.  However that’s a diffrant argument for another time.

Pages: [1]   Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal