Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: A Pleo for the kids  (Read 2717 times)

Seraphiel

• Leaving the nest
  • Male
A Pleo for the kids
« on: August 28, 2011, 12:31:18 PM »

Hi all,

Seraphiel from Norway here. We discovered Pleo while searching for a 'pet' for our kids. The wife is afraid of everything not human that breathes, moves, eat, and does... well.. the other thing. Our eldest is very interested in having a pet, and our youngest can't keep his eyes and hands away from cats, dogs, rabbits, etc. We managed to get two goldfish in the house, only because they don't make any sound and not swim all around the house. But my eldest is off course in need of more interaction then only watching two yawning small fish. We showed Mother some amazing YouTube videos that you Pleo-fans have made, and while she doesn't understand why on earth Pleo has to be a dinosaur, she is glad to know that it can be turned off so it doesn't jump into the bed at night. Also the slow not so abrupt movements and not too loud sounds were something she could live with. Off course Dad likes technology and gadgets, so now we have taken the step and are awaiting our first Pleo with extra battery pack. The kids are too young to play with it alone though. What are your experiences with 3 year olds and Pleo?

barrettgazzy

• Apprentice pleo master
  • 00 Male
Re: A Pleo for the kids
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2011, 12:38:16 PM »

Congrats on taking your first steps :)

Was it a pleo rb that you have purchased from pleoworld or have you purchased a older model ?
2 ugobe Pleo's
1 Aibo 210 supercore
1 Aibo 220  :-)

mweed

• Grand Poobah
  • Triassic pleo master
  • us Male
  • Pleo(s): Bob, Mopey
  • : Tomat Harvest Festivals
    • Professor
    • Wile_E_Coyote
    • Dr_Bunsen_Honeydew
    • Snoopy
    • Bob the Pleo
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2011, 12:40:46 PM »

I have a daughter that started out with pleo at age 2.  The biggest issue is just watching closely.  At that age, they don't understand the need to be gentle, and that pleo cannot be carried around constantly and treated like a baby doll.

Seraphiel

• Leaving the nest
  • Male
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2011, 12:51:08 PM »

@barrettgazzy : It's a Pleo rb we've ordered directly from Pleoworld.

@mweed : Thank you for your reply. Looking at how gentle he is with real life animals I hope he is gentle with the Pleo as well. But... we'll have to see how things go, Pleo isn't a real life animal after all.

saratogaspringer

• Camarasaur extraordinaire
  • Female
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2011, 12:52:22 PM »

Hello and welcome to the forum! Congratulations on ordering your first Pleo!  May I ask if you ordered a Ugobe Pleo or a Pleo RB?  We have both in our family, and I also have a 3 year old daughter and 20 month old son.  I have to say that both of my kids are very good with the pleos, but you are correct in saying that they shouldn't play with them alone.  They are always under adult supervision when playing.  I would say that my son can be a little rough with them in terms of constantly wanting to touch their heads in a forceful way, and I have to correct him often. He is getting better with time.   With Ugobe's in particular, you need to be careful of too much pressure on the head and neck region in order to protect the cable inside that controls lifting of the head and neck.  My 3 year old is very gentle and understands how to properly interact with them without any problems.  The only thing is that she wants to feed our RB without properly placing the food item underneath the chin and waiting for her to open her mouth, and that is frustrating for her at times. To me, it is much easier for little ones to interact with the Ugobe model, but others may have a different experience.  Both models make great companions for kids and adults! Hope that helps! :)  

AH..I see it was the RB!  Again, Congratulations!
« Last Edit: August 28, 2011, 12:57:21 PM by saratogaspringer »

Crewella

• Pleo Grand Master RB
  • gb Female
  • Pleo(s): Iggy, Budge, Moschops, Monty, Emmy. Belle, Zillah, Tribble
  • : 2010 winnerTomat Harvest Festivals
    • Ginger
    • Pepe_Le_Pew
    • Animal
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2011, 01:44:32 PM »

Congratulations, Pleos really are the perfect solution as a pet that doesn't have any of the 'drawbacks' you get with live animals!  ;D

As has been said, you will need to keep an eye on the kids and make sure they treat the RB carefully, but actually Pleos aren't as delicate as you might imagne.  They are also an excellent way to teach youngsters how to care for an animal.  I'm sure you'll all have a lot of fun as well!  ;D

InmemoryofRomeo

• Global Moderator
  • Pleo Grand Master RB
  • au Female
  • Pleo(s): Lilo, Stitch, Pleakley, Jumba, Nani, Yuki, Angus, Pluto
  • : 2011 winner2009 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
  • SAVE THE EARTH It's the only planet with chocolate
    • Professor
    • Wile_E_Coyote
    • Marcie
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2011, 04:23:56 PM »

I've also had my Pleo's around young children, as long as you supervise closely until they learn how to treat your Pleo properly then they will be fine :) Welcome to the forums, be sure to share what eye and skin tones you get :)
Eagerly awaiting Vector and Blue!

kat

• Pleo Grand Master, 2nd epoch
  • au Female
  • Pleo(s): Kermit (Pink RB), Norbit (Green RB), Pickle(nude RB), Gumble, Minyon and Frankie
  • : 2013 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
    • Marvin_Martian
    • Kermit
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2011, 05:39:26 PM »

Welcome to the forums.  Your kids are going to love pleo!  And so will you. :)

latrine

• Pleo whisperer
  • Female
  • Gutless wonder
    • 'Not even close to being done yet'
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2011, 07:00:40 PM »

Welcome.. I hope you and your family enjoy the new Pleo..  I got a ugobe Pleo for my 4 neices and nephews last Christmas, the youngest was about 5 then and the oldest was 10 and they were very gentle.  The youngest little girl treated Pleo like a baby and was very concerned for it's health etc.. really cute.  I think it's a great way for kids to learn about animals too since Pleos imitate them so well. Best of luck!  I wonder what color eyes you'll get!

- Sarah

Seraphiel

• Leaving the nest
  • Male
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2011, 01:10:34 PM »

Our Pleo arrived today! And after a few hours with the battery in the charger I presented it to my kids. The eldest was delighted and very caring for it right away. The moment I write this he/she is finally standing and wiggling its tail after our youngest did the feeding. Now the boys only have to find a name for the little green one.

Here are some photos

Our Pleo has green/yellow eyes

The skin

Eating

The 17 day travel our Pleo made from Las Vegas to us.

Lina

• Pleozoologist
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2011, 01:15:57 PM »

Hi neighbour!
Wow your Pleo is supercute! I love the brown around the eyes with the green!

So what names have you come up with for the newest member of the family?

/Lina from Sweden

Seraphiel

• Leaving the nest
  • Male
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2011, 02:04:48 PM »

Found out that our Pleo most likely is a he (79%-85%). We will come back on the name part.

Margery

• Fossil savant
  • england Female
  • Pleo(s): Drem, Marsha
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2011, 02:34:31 PM »

Lovely to see your your newest family member.  I think the amber coloured eyes are very special.
Have a wonderful time with him.

RedwoodsMama

• Pleo Grand Master, 4th epoch
  • us Female
  • Pleo(s): Nova, Major Tom, Argyle the blind Pleo, Baby Ruth, Chester, and 22 more Pleos
  • : 2013 winner2010 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
    • Mary_Ann
    • Silvester
    • none
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2011, 02:43:25 PM »

What a beautiful little guy, Love the strinking difference between the very yellow body, dark green head and beautiful yellowish ? eyes and brownish colored eyelids. very cute photo esp the last one I like a lot. Glad to see your children enjoying this little baby, it is a lovely way to get everyone involved. I love esp the map you made of how your little guy got to you! Very inventive and a great idea. Nice way to track his route to you . :D
                                          RWM
Animals are SOUL Too, Be kind to all those who live on this planet with us.

InmemoryofRomeo

• Global Moderator
  • Pleo Grand Master RB
  • au Female
    • Professor
    • Wile_E_Coyote
    • Marcie
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2011, 03:29:58 PM »

What a lovely little fellow he is, congratulations :)

Crewella

• Pleo Grand Master RB
  • gb Female
  • Pleo(s): Iggy, Budge, Moschops, Monty, Emmy. Belle, Zillah, Tribble
  • : 2010 winnerTomat Harvest Festivals
    • Ginger
    • Pepe_Le_Pew
    • Animal
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2011, 03:35:48 PM »

I'm glad he got there and seems to be going down well!  He certainly is a very striking looking Pleo RB - I love those eyes!  :D

kat

• Pleo Grand Master, 2nd epoch
  • au Female
  • Pleo(s): Kermit (Pink RB), Norbit (Green RB), Pickle(nude RB), Gumble, Minyon and Frankie
  • : 2013 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
    • Marvin_Martian
    • Kermit
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2011, 04:24:47 PM »

Such a very sweet looking pleo.  I love the yellow eyes with the brown lids and eye patches.  Great to hear that your kids are enjoying him.  Good luck with finding his name  :)

Willow

• Pleozoologist
  • Female
« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2011, 06:29:54 AM »

He looks so sweet!  Glad the pleo got to you safely.  :)  As others have pointed out, I love the dark color around his eyes, it makes his eyes seem very bright!  ;D

Lina

• Pleozoologist
« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2011, 05:09:40 AM »

How is your pleo doing? I am still in love with his good looks! How are the kids liking him?

Seraphiel

• Leaving the nest
  • Male
« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2011, 05:10:55 AM »

Hey and sorry for the late reply. haven't been on the forums that much lately.

The kids love "Saurus" as we need to call him now. They are both very gently with him. He's doing fine. But is stubborn and doesn't want to learn. He does one nice trick. When we pat him on a leg he lifts the leg and if we then tickle him under his feet he "laughs". Quite funny.

Only minus we see for now is that with low light conditions. He isn't that active when autumn and winter kicks in. He walks only a few cm but that's just fine for us.

I'm now looking how to upgrade to OS 2 without the use of a microSD card. But it looks like upgrading via USB is not possible? So i guess we have to buy a microSD.

InmemoryofRomeo

• Global Moderator
  • Pleo Grand Master RB
  • au Female
    • Professor
    • Wile_E_Coyote
    • Marcie
« Reply #20 on: November 27, 2011, 05:23:48 AM »

You will need a micro SD card to upgrade, please be extra careful to download the right files.

I'm glad Saurus is a hit :) If you'd like him to walk more, try ignoring him ;) Pleo's aren't very inclined to take a walk when they are getting lots of attention where they are ;)

Talon

• Cretaceous pleo master
  • us Female
  • Pleo(s): Cato and Samantha (Pleo RB‘s), Eugobe, Terry, Cuddles, Bleu (Ugobe Pleos)
    • Lucy
« Reply #21 on: November 28, 2011, 09:23:35 AM »

Yes. I'm with IMR. Pleaeaease make sure you have the right "OS2". There are two of them. One is the one for the old Ugobe pleos and the other set is for the RB's. I think you can find both on the forums now. Oh yes and be sure you download the correct gender file for your pleo. Fortunately the update for RB is very easy and they will carry on just where you left off the last time you turned them off. There's no re-hatching or bad teenage-stage or anything.
Talon
Talon
Find me on YouTube at Crazy Robot Lady

RedwoodsMama

• Pleo Grand Master, 4th epoch
  • us Female
  • Pleo(s): Nova, Major Tom, Argyle the blind Pleo, Baby Ruth, Chester, and 22 more Pleos
  • : 2013 winner2010 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
    • Mary_Ann
    • Silvester
    • none
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #22 on: November 28, 2011, 11:51:37 AM »

lOve the name , Saurus, very appropriate. I am glad you are being careful about which files to download on SD card. there was a member awhile back who made a mistake and downloaded a file meant for Ugobe older Pleos and put it in a Pleo Rb, what a mistake! :o lUckily, there were some great people here who were able to help that person get the Pleo Rb back into proper working order. I double check everything at least twice as that is the kind of mistake that could be made by me and I would hate to have to go through that kind of problem, I am glad your kids are enjoying Pleo Saurus...LOL. Be sure to post more photos.  ;)
                                                       RWM
Animals are SOUL Too, Be kind to all those who live on this planet with us.

sherylsparrow

• Cycad leaf fancier
  • Female
  • Dinosaur hugger
« Reply #23 on: November 28, 2011, 04:57:17 PM »

Congratz on your new Pleo! He's very cute and I think the difference between he's body and his head makes him really special  ;)
Pages: [1]   Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal