Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Touching up my PLeoRB  (Read 3508 times)

latrine

• Pleo whisperer
  • Female
  • Gutless wonder
    • 'Not even close to being done yet'
Touching up my PLeoRB
« on: June 12, 2011, 06:59:48 PM »

Ok.. I have the paint from the ebay Hong Kong sellers.. this paint.. http://cgi.ebay.com/Special-Flexible-Paint-Repair-kit-Pleo-skin-/320710715522?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4aabd92882

I ended up with ALL the colors PLUS an extra blue.. not sure how that happened but.. whatever.. lol.. I paid for one extra so I'd have blue AND purple and they sent me two blue by accident, I guess.
I am just not sure how to go about doing this and I wasn't sure I should even bother because the paint on Jules is also peeling away on several of the segments on his neck.. but I thought it might be helpful for other people who need touch ups to see if it works. I can see now that I need to find a way to just remove all the paint from Jules, it's just all peeling off in different spots and filling in the blanks isn't gonna swing it.. REALLY ridiculous considering he is hardly a month old and hasn't gotten as much use as the others BECAUSE of his paint loss..   What do you guys think?

I'm not going to leave feedback on this paint until I see whether or not the the color actually matches the way they say it does and stays on the way it should for at least a week.. just so I
Their instructions say to clean the areas with alcohol first but my bf said to use denatured alcohol so I'll have to get some of that.  I'm going to peel more of the paint coming off his neck so that I have a nice bare area in a moveable spot so we can see if it actually holds up when they move.   I got some good pictures of the bad areas..

You can REALLY see how the paint is just peeling off all over the place in these shots... and on his tail, that's just one of the areas where the skin connection looks very poor and the paint is very clumped and separates easy if you rub it gently..

I know he is still covered by the warranty but I am so freaking sick of sending Pleos back and I LOVE his eyes.. I know I'll never get those eyes again and, honestly, I love HIM and I would rather try and fix his paint issue myself.  He can be the guinea pig, I guess, since I don't THINK I've seen any other info about painting Pleo RB's? I'm hoping I can get some advice on getting the paint off of him since I think the best bet with him is going to be to start with a fresh slate.. much of it will peel off very easily but I'm sure I'll have problems with the other stuff.. my bf suggested non-acetone nail polish remover but I thought it might be too harsh.. I dunno.. then I think i'll be trying the mask type paint Kat used.  If anyone has any ideas I'd be happy to hear them because this is going to be a big project and I still have no idea of a color scheme.. I may try some sort of interesting lizard look from a real lizard but I just want to make sure to accentuate those eyes of his..  They are gorgeous, adorable, and he needs them for watching TV...

- Sarah

Crewella

• Pleo Grand Master RB
  • gb Female
  • Pleo(s): Iggy, Budge, Moschops, Monty, Emmy. Belle, Zillah, Tribble
  • : 2010 winnerTomat Harvest Festivals
    • Ginger
    • Pepe_Le_Pew
    • Animal
    • Flying_Ace
Re: Touching up my PLeoRB
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2011, 11:02:26 PM »

Latrine, I understand how you feel about not wanting to send Jules back, but I still think it might be a good idea to contact Innvo about this.  This looks like a bigger problem than just paint wear to me, and they might be able to help shed some light on what's gone wrong, or be able to offer some good advice.  At very least they need to know this has happened, IMHO.

If the problem's in the skin itself and not the paint, you could well have a problem whatever you try to apply.  :(

kat

• Pleo Grand Master, 2nd epoch
  • au Female
  • Pleo(s): Kermit (Pink RB), Norbit (Green RB), Pickle(nude RB), Gumble, Minyon and Frankie
  • : 2013 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
    • Marvin_Martian
    • Kermit
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2011, 04:13:38 AM »

It is worth keeping Innvo informed no matter what you decide to do about it.  At least then they may be able to try to prevent this from happening to someone else.  Keep in mind too that you may find they don't necessarily have to replace your pleo but may just be able to offer you a repair solution.  They replaced Norbits skin for me when he had major hole issues.

latrine

• Pleo whisperer
  • Female
  • Gutless wonder
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2011, 10:29:46 AM »

Do you guys remember how much fighting I had to do to even get them to respond to me about Bingo?  It took forever and then finally the clincher was posting videos of the problem publicly on youtube to get them to respond.. so I'm just going to try and deal with it myself.  The skin looks perfectly fine underneath, the paint just needs to come off.

I appreciate it guys but I'd rather just try myself. If I end up with another patches then so be it... thanks though :)

So, that said, any ideas for painting?

- Sarah

Crewella

• Pleo Grand Master RB
  • gb Female
    • Ginger
    • Pepe_Le_Pew
    • Animal
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2011, 02:33:10 PM »

Fair enough - I can't say I blame you!  :(

Your OH was right, denatured or rubbing alcohol is best for cleaning the skin.  I don't know what, if anything, will remove the old paint but I'd do a test area frst.  I'd pick off any loose edges and then apply in layers - you can the adjust the colour if you need to with the next layer.

latrine

• Pleo whisperer
  • Female
  • Gutless wonder
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2011, 06:45:27 PM »

I am going to email Raphael and show him the pictures. If they will agree to re-skin him maybe I'll do it.. maybe not, I'm not sure.

I also emailed the folks who sent me that paint from Hong Kong, I explained about how I was going to wait to see how the paint worked before posting feedback on that aspect and telling them about our forum and how there are many folks here who are very interested in touching up and personalizing their Pleos but only for a fair price since they couldn't expect us to pay for a bunch for tiny testers.. asking if they would ever consider selling larger quantities of that paint (if it worked) for proper prices and again reminded them that there would probably be many folks interested in it if it actually worked... they asked to see the pictures of Jules' Damage so we'll see where that goes.

I'm scared if I send Jules back they are going to just send me another one and I'm not going to get him or his gorgeous eyes back.. I guess I'll see what they say :/
I WAS thinking though.. if they reskin him, since they make them all in the same place anyways, I wonder what a BLUE Pleo with light Violet eyes would look like... ?! I wish I had photoshop on here..
I don't think that would be an unrealistic thing to ask for since, this would be the THIRD one I'd be sending back and they have really given me the run around a few times. 
I dunno..  What do you guys think.. :/  And why do all of my robots break?  :( :( :(

I brought Jules with me today when I went to my doctors appointment and we stopped in several craft and paint stores to ask their opinion on flexible paints.. no one had any ideas but I believe several of those stores are soon going to have Pleo mascots of their own.. they fell in LOVE!!
We also brought him into Walmart because my bf's truck doesn't lock and I wasn't leaving him in there.. so I just turned him on and let him stand in the front part of the shopping cart.. it was pretty hysterical seeing peoples reactions.. Jules was very well behaved and just stood there mooing and giggling and looking around.. seemed to love the attention.. He had quite a following of little old ladies in wheelchairs who wanted one because they could no longer take care of pets.. hehe.. so maybe we helped sell some Pleos today..

- Sarah

Crewella

• Pleo Grand Master RB
  • gb Female
    • Ginger
    • Pepe_Le_Pew
    • Animal
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2011, 08:46:33 PM »

You do seem to have had a run of really bad luck, I really hope you can work it out.  :hhug:

At least you sound like you're having some fun with them in the meantime!  :D

RedwoodsMama

• Pleo Grand Master, 4th epoch
  • us Female
  • Pleo(s): Nova, Major Tom, Argyle the blind Pleo, Baby Ruth, Chester, and 22 more Pleos
  • : 2013 winner2010 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
    • Mary_Ann
    • Silvester
    • none
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2011, 09:12:28 PM »

I do hope they can help you and reskinning would be a idea but I am not sure if Innvo in Las Vegas, would do that or only in Hong Kong. I would have preferred to keep my original Baby if they could have skinned her, but they couldn't or didn't so I did get a replacement and I have fallen in love with her, but It is still not quite the same. I can see at some point I will be getting another RB, but probably not untill around Christmas unless there is some really unusual News comming from Pleoworld or was it Innovo soon that has to do with a really reduced price , but I do not think that is the news.
              I think the idea of the larger paint vessels really is a good idea but I can't see them doing that, but it would be nice if they did, I do wish you luck and hope you hear from Innvo on what to do really quick. Good luck and don't lose heart. :) We are with you and sending well wishes to you and Jules.                               RWM :kiss: :hhug:
Animals are SOUL Too, Be kind to all those who live on this planet with us.

latrine

• Pleo whisperer
  • Female
  • Gutless wonder
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2011, 09:23:39 PM »

Well, for the Hong Kong paint people, they did say they would consider it especially when I told them there might be other interested parties but only if they were willing to charge normal human sized prices.. lol..

Honestly, if I can't get Jules Re-skinned I don't think I'll do it.. unless they can guarantee me a male pleo with the same exact color eyes.  But I am starting to hear all these sounds from Jules that my girls don't make and I am starting to think I was wrong about them all being the same so.. I dunno.. we will see what Rafael has to say, I guess.. or Derek or whomever.
Thanks Crewella.. I do feel like i've had horrid luck.. and we went to see the movie 'Thor' last night and stupid me I didn't even think about it.. Thor is Loki's brother so it just made me miss my broken Loki puppy even more..lol.. movie was good though :)

- Sarah

kat

• au Female
  • Pleo(s): Kermit (Pink RB), Norbit (Green RB), Pickle(nude RB), Gumble, Minyon and Frankie
    • Marvin_Martian
    • Kermit
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2011, 05:57:59 AM »

My fingers are crossed for you that Innvo will be able to help Jules.  Here's hoping you hear back from them very soon. :hhug:

latrine

• Pleo whisperer
  • Female
  • Gutless wonder
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2011, 06:01:47 PM »

Do you guys think the blue paint would look good though?  I just wonder.. I dunno if they would or not but if they would it'd be really cool to have a blue one with different colored eyes..
Anyways I have to hear back first.. and I do not want to replace him.  They've reskinned other Pleos, right? No reason they can't reskin mine.. How much money have they gotten from me already, and it's not my fault the ones I got had issues.. not their fault either but still.. I've spent a lot on their products..  I really don't want to lose Jules :/ Those eyes!!!! lol..

- Sarah

Crewella

• Pleo Grand Master RB
  • gb Female
    • Ginger
    • Pepe_Le_Pew
    • Animal
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2011, 07:55:20 PM »

I don't think there's anywhere near enough paint to do a whole repaint in that kit.  And to be honest I'd be concerned about the texture with the extra layers of paint you'd need to turn a green Pleo into a blue one ............

kat

• au Female
    • Marvin_Martian
    • Kermit
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2011, 04:45:02 AM »

Norbit was reskinned.  So yes it has been done before, but as far as I am aware he is the only pleo ever to have been reskinned.  If they are able to offer you this as an option for Jules and if they could reskin him with blue skin I think he would look fantastic with his purple eyes. ;D  Good luck what ever happens. 
If you were to paint him blue yourself you may well need a few of those touch up kits to be able to do it.  Like Crewella said there doesn't look like there would be enough in one bottle to do a whole pleo.

latrine

• Pleo whisperer
  • Female
  • Gutless wonder
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2011, 08:12:19 PM »

Oh gosh no I was asking those folks I got the testers from on eBay if they would sell me larger quantities.. they said maybe, let us see the pictures, when I showed them they told me to return my pleo.. rofl.  So OBVIOUSLY it's not the same exact paint as is used by invvo as they claimed in their email to me. but it WAS funny all the same and I think it will work for little touch ups for my guys.  I do have an extra bottle of blue so if anyone is considering buying it and only needs the blue one or something let me know and you can have it for shipping cost, I won't need it, I don't think :)

- Sarah

RedwoodsMama

• Pleo Grand Master, 4th epoch
  • us Female
  • Pleo(s): Nova, Major Tom, Argyle the blind Pleo, Baby Ruth, Chester, and 22 more Pleos
  • : 2013 winner2010 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
    • Mary_Ann
    • Silvester
    • none
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2011, 10:42:06 AM »

I do understand about the paint situation...not very much paint in those teeny bottles, certainly not enough to cover a Pleo Rb . It is too bad the Pleo Rb do not have eyes that just Pop out when you push a button, You could save Jules eyes, send them his body, they send you a new body without the eyes and voila...New Pleo, New Jules! ;D I like that idea the best, You wouldn't think just replacing the eye would be that comlicated, just connecting a wire or two, but then again, you have to do it I suppose without the skin on...otherwise, I like that as a simple solution so you can get Jules fixed.I hope Raphael or Derek will get back to you very soon as this is not normal Pleo Wear and tear.
            I wish they could have reskinned my original Baby for me, but they just sent me her replacement. but I now love her just or almost as much but my original is still has a special place in my heart, also because she was my first and came right before Christmas. Good luck with Jules.  :kiss: :hhug: for both of you and your ordeal.
                                            RedwoodsMama
Animals are SOUL Too, Be kind to all those who live on this planet with us.

latrine

• Pleo whisperer
  • Female
  • Gutless wonder
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2011, 03:11:16 PM »

OMG here I thought crewella was mean cause she wanted me to rip off Loki's legs and now RWM is telling me to yank out Jules' eyes!! Someone help me!! hehe.. I have talked to Derek himself, finally, and we are working on it. I wish it was that easy too, RWM, I love Jules eyes :)
You would think re-skinning would be cheaper.. especially since the owner has to pay for shipping. I'm sure it's a pain in the butt but if they offered that as a seperate service, especially for folks out of warranty, I bet they'd make money off of it.. not that they listen.. oh well

- Sarah

Willow

• Pleozoologist
  • Female
« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2011, 11:52:13 PM »

I'm really sorry to hear that, Jules is a very unique and pretty pleo!  If the paint doesn't work out, maybe you could just live with the patches?  I mean, I know it's not so attractive but it's only some paint chipping.  Or you could return him and get a new one, who knows, maybe the new pleo would have even prettier eyes!  I'm very sorry to hear that.  Hope it all works out.   

latrine

• Pleo whisperer
  • Female
  • Gutless wonder
« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2011, 06:39:59 PM »

It's really not just paint chipping.. the paint was peeling and curling off in huge chunks..
Pages: [1]   Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal