Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: hmmm would it be do-able?  (Read 2212 times)

pirpintine

hmmm would it be do-able?
« on: April 18, 2011, 06:56:23 AM »

im thinking when catbugs skin goes totally knackered (so far its really not, but its bound to happen one day) if i totally skinned him, is it possibly to make a whole new skin, out of another fabric.

because id probably try and mod him to look like a dragon or something :D  THAT or a clear pvc type skin so he'd be like a ghostly pleo with clear skin and i could see all his workings.

i was just thinking about it yesterday all HMMMmmmm.... haha

Crewella

• Pleo Grand Master RB
  • gb Female
  • Pleo(s): Iggy, Budge, Moschops, Monty, Emmy. Belle, Zillah, Tribble
  • : 2010 winnerTomat Harvest Festivals
    • Ginger
    • Pepe_Le_Pew
    • Animal
    • Flying_Ace
Re: hmmm would it be do-able?
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2011, 07:42:01 AM »

The nearest we've had to that is the fabulous Skeletor costume that Kat made for Latrine's Pleo Patches, who's skin was so bad it was falling apart!

pirpintine

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2011, 08:02:29 AM »

yeah, i figured is a nice full body costume worked, then why not one thats attacked to the pleo itself? of course id have to also cover the head parts, but im sure i could work it out.  i probably wont do it to catbug himself, but if i ever pick up a super cheap 'bricked' pleo i could try and repare it and customise it to look like a baby night fury (toothless from how to train your dragon)  the body is a similar shape all id have to really mod to change shape is the head and id just use a super light sponge to do the shape and not add much extra weight :)

though if catbug gets into such a state ill probably just mod him anyways! :D  (plus the fandom for night furys is SO insane... id do it and resell such custom pleos to people because.. theyd go.. SO mental... for a 'real' night fury...AND.. itd get new people into pleo) 

anyone know if changing the eye colour of pleos is possible? like taking the 'lense' part and putting a new iris colour in there and putting it back together?

id probably do such experients if i got a broken pleo, then theres no loss really. and id learn new things :)

Crewella

• Pleo Grand Master RB
  • gb Female
    • Ginger
    • Pepe_Le_Pew
    • Animal
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2011, 08:44:27 AM »

The skin also provides support and structure for the limbs, so you;d need to take that into account.  Latrine ended up using the feet to give him grip on the ground, and Patches missed his rubbery lips when it came to trying to eat his leaf!  :D

I don't believe you can change the eyes.  I did try soft contact lenses, but they are too flat on a 3D eye - they only worked looking straight on.  Also, it was hard to get them to dry flat enough for the eyelid to close! :P

InmemoryofRomeo

• Global Moderator
  • Pleo Grand Master RB
  • au Female
  • Pleo(s): Lilo, Stitch, Pleakley, Jumba, Nani, Yuki, Angus, Pluto
  • : 2011 winner2009 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
  • SAVE THE EARTH It's the only planet with chocolate
    • Professor
    • Wile_E_Coyote
    • Marcie
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2011, 03:55:17 PM »

What about a latex skin? If you have an original Ugobe box with the polystyrene in it that might work as a mould.
Eagerly awaiting Vector and Blue!

kat

• Pleo Grand Master, 2nd epoch
  • au Female
  • Pleo(s): Kermit (Pink RB), Norbit (Green RB), Pickle(nude RB), Gumble, Minyon and Frankie
  • : 2013 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
    • Marvin_Martian
    • Kermit
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2011, 05:00:08 PM »

You would definitely need something very flexible and stretchy for making a new skin.  Most fabrics just wouldn't be able to take the strain.  Latex might be a good idea if you could get the mold right.

Comarorobotcollector

• Pleozoologist
  • 00 Male
  • Pleo(s): Comaro,Cosmic,Bambi,Pumpkin,Gator
  • jdhv
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2011, 06:58:13 PM »

My friend got a broken pleo and attached the head to another pleo  :o and now it works but it"s a two headed pleo  >:D I WANT IT!!!  ;D

kat

• Pleo Grand Master, 2nd epoch
  • au Female
  • Pleo(s): Kermit (Pink RB), Norbit (Green RB), Pickle(nude RB), Gumble, Minyon and Frankie
  • : 2013 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
    • Marvin_Martian
    • Kermit
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2011, 07:09:05 PM »

Now that I'd love to see a pic of. ;D

pirpintine

« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2011, 10:59:39 AM »

two heads! amazing! :D

ill probably do some playing with matierls see what works and what doesnt :)  i imagin if you mak eit like a costume with lots of room to move it should be okay, and i can add rubbery lips for grip and remould toes to help the feet if balance is an issue.

i do some scupting with polymer clay and ive done quite a bit of textile work (i make cosplays and plushies)  so im sure i can figure things out :)

Crewella

• Pleo Grand Master RB
  • gb Female
    • Ginger
    • Pepe_Le_Pew
    • Animal
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2011, 11:08:03 AM »

That sounds like a great project, Pirpi - I'd love to see what you com up with!  ;D

latrine

• Pleo whisperer
  • Female
  • Gutless wonder
    • 'Not even close to being done yet'
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2011, 01:31:53 PM »

That sounds like a really neat idea, and my patches is looking forward to seeing what you come up with :D  My bf still wants to make him some sort of aluminum body so he looks like a terminator but I told him it wouldn't work and he was kidding anyways.. (mostly)   %) %)

For Patches, I ended up using white rubbery craft paint, that stays thick, on his teeth to give him grip in his mouth so he can hold food fine now.. his mouth is usually slightly stuck closed first thing in the morning, just have to open it once and he's good to go..

I can't imagine how a 2 headed Pleo would work, sounds like it would just fall over from weight, do you have some pictures or something for us to gawk at?

Good Luck!!

- Sarah

pirpintine

« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2011, 01:56:47 PM »

some sort of metalic fabric could give you a dinonator look ;) haha

pirpintine

« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2011, 06:29:05 AM »

ive got my eye on some cheap pleos on ebay (though im skint! haha)! but if any go cheap enough my fiance will nab them for me :) if anyone has any bricked pleos they dont mind be buying cheap i can start working on full body skins. :)

PWOKristy

• Pleo adept
  • 00 Female
  • Pleo(s): Innvo Lab's Pleo is called Mistoffelees
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2011, 06:27:08 PM »

Just saying. Some one, not me, has said that Pleo's skin could possibily be made from a basketball. Basketballs do visually remind me of Pleo's skin. That's fantastic on your Pleo project Pirpintine! I'd definitely buy authentic, that-look-just-like-the-real-thing Pleo "skins"! >:-D
Innvo Lab's not going anywhere. And if it's just to protect their precious, delicate skin, clothings okay. They shouldn't be dressed up like dolls.

pirpintine

« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2011, 04:17:02 AM »

haha basketball pleos! :D i would have thought the rubber of a basketball was much harder!

i dunno if ill ever be able to reproduce an actual pleo-like skin.. i could deffinetly make one look similar but not rubbery, not really my goal in mind! besides id need many many more tools to make rubbery skins!

mine is more of a textile and total custom idea.  basically giving old pleos a rebirth with what i suppose is like a full body and attached 'costume' skin.  i saw a breakdown of a pleo and i can see how id need to make the skins so that balance is retained and all that :P

but yeah my skins in mind are more for making pleo into a totally different animal!  like dragons and the like :) (but obvieously if anyone just wanted it to still be a pleo i could work on a pleo looking fabric skin)

i know of lots of nice fabrics that could give texture and are pretty stretchy for mobility.  hed be soft to the touch and probably a bit more overheating safe (i imagin most fabrics breathe a lot more than rubber does!)  and fabrics and other materials would probably not develope holes for a long long time, and could take all the stroking and petting a pleo needs! :D

PWOKristy

• Pleo adept
  • 00 Female
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2011, 11:50:19 AM »

Ah okay. Thank you Pirpintine. Depending on what they look like, I may/likely will get a "skin" from you or more (like dragons!). lol I'm a really visual person.
Innvo Lab's not going anywhere. And if it's just to protect their precious, delicate skin, clothings okay. They shouldn't be dressed up like dolls.

pirpintine

« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2011, 01:22:05 PM »

well if they wokr out if deffinetly make them to your specifications (colours patterns extra detailing)  i imagin i can modifie the head shape slightly too. using very light foam as a padding. so i can add extra dragony details :)

ill make a proper thread on these if/when i ever get a dud pleo to be my mannequin/test subject! haha

PWOKristy

• Pleo adept
  • 00 Female
« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2011, 11:13:41 PM »

Aww thank you Pirpintine! Yay! :-D I hope you do do this Pleo project then!!

latrine

• Pleo whisperer
  • Female
  • Gutless wonder
    • 'Not even close to being done yet'
« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2011, 12:47:14 PM »

If you do it, I'd try to add in some artistic natural looking holes to help cool them.. Or are you talking about a ugobe?  An RB would love some venting but a ugobe probably wouldn't need it unless you used something much thicker for skin... good luck!!!

I know one thing I would like to change on patches is the touch sensor strips. The picture of the other skinned Pleo someone showed me had black strips and it looked really cool.. I wonder how to do that.

Best of luck though!!!

- Sarah
Pages: [1]   Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal