Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Pages: 1 ... 13 [14] 15 ... 20   Go Down

Author Topic: Ugobe Pleo paint retouching  (Read 85924 times)

PleoKymm

• Coffee leaf addict
  • us Female
  • Pleo(s): Thorn
  • Hey, Pleo Peeps and Peep-ettes!
    • Gilligan
    • Tasmanian_Devil
    • Swedish_chef
    • Charlie_Brown
    • Virtual and Robotic Pet Reviews
Re: Ugobe Pleo paint retouching
« Reply #325 on: July 08, 2011, 04:04:52 PM »

It's official. If Thorn ever gets paint issues, I'm repainting him. It seems so fun to do!
Pleos are awesome!

Crewella

• Pleo Grand Master RB
  • gb Female
  • Pleo(s): Iggy, Budge, Moschops, Monty, Emmy. Belle, Zillah, Tribble
  • : 2010 winnerTomat Harvest Festivals
    • Ginger
    • Pepe_Le_Pew
    • Animal
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #326 on: July 09, 2011, 04:11:58 PM »

Hi Luna! Good luck with your painting project!

Personally,  think black stripes will work better than white, as the white would show up the cracking on the lines between the panels, where the skin gets the most stress.  That is, of course, if you are planning to work with the moulded skin pattern as Kat and I did.  Hope that helps?

Willow

• Pleozoologist
  • Female
« Reply #327 on: July 11, 2011, 01:11:57 AM »

Agreeing with Crewella, I think black would look cooler and work out better in all for your pleo.  Black stripes would also make the pleo look sort of tigerish which would be very cool.  :)  Keep us updated and post pics of the painting process! :D

Crewella

• Pleo Grand Master RB
  • gb Female
    • Ginger
    • Pepe_Le_Pew
    • Animal
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #328 on: August 13, 2011, 11:48:28 PM »

Just wanted to add an update on wear and tear, especially as Sarah is considering what to use on Jules.  :)

Originally, I used acrylic inks on Monty, and then added a layer of inks and latex mixed over the top as the latex mask paint had more movement.  After a few weeks running, the paint surface is holding up quite well, though I have noticed there are a couple of areas where an ink-only layer has cracked and pulled away from the surface right next to the latex layer.  As in next to the (mainly latex paint) yellow stripe here:

But overall, the head has stood up quite well to wear and tear, and in my experience it's the head that gets the most knocks.  Especially with a herd of them!  :D

The Boa Pleo is still unfinished, I got tied up with work stuff recently, but at least it's given me an opportunity to check out the latex paint wear before I finish him.  The latex mask paint does feel a lot softer and smoother to the touch, but I wondered how it would last, and as you can see it hasn't held up to the surface knocks as well as the predominantly acrylic ink paint layers on Monty:

So, it does seem, at the moment, that a mixture of the two paints will give the best results.  I'll redo or touch up with a 50/50 mixture and see how that lasts.

InmemoryofRomeo

• Global Moderator
  • Pleo Grand Master RB
  • au Female
  • Pleo(s): Lilo, Stitch, Pleakley, Jumba, Nani, Yuki, Angus, Pluto
  • : 2011 winner2009 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
  • SAVE THE EARTH It's the only planet with chocolate
    • Professor
    • Wile_E_Coyote
    • Marcie
« Reply #329 on: August 14, 2011, 12:25:28 AM »

That's some interesting findings Crewella :) Stitch's plain acrylic inks cracked, but are a nightmare to get off :P

Kat have you noticed any wear on Gumble?
Eagerly awaiting Vector and Blue!

kat

• Pleo Grand Master, 2nd epoch
  • au Female
  • Pleo(s): Kermit (Pink RB), Norbit (Green RB), Pickle(nude RB), Gumble, Minyon and Frankie
  • : 2013 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
    • Marvin_Martian
    • Kermit
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #330 on: August 14, 2011, 04:58:18 AM »

Gumble's face is holding up fine with no visible signs of wear but he once again he has bubbling in the joints of his neck and tail where the skin stretches the most.  It seems the paint is stretching well but when he moves back into a normal non stretch position the paint stays stretched and doesn't bounce back.  A couple of these bubbles are starting to split so very soon I will have to touch him up again.  Although I was actually contemplating a 50/50 mix of inks and latex mask paints too.  And thinking I might strip him off and start again so he gets done in this mix all over.  I suspect that this might give a more stable paint job that still has the flex but just not too much.  :)

Crewella

• Pleo Grand Master RB
  • gb Female
    • Ginger
    • Pepe_Le_Pew
    • Animal
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #331 on: August 14, 2011, 05:28:14 AM »

Interesting that you've come to much the same conclusion, Kat.  Good luck, and keep us posted!  ;D

RedwoodsMama

• Pleo Grand Master, 4th epoch
  • us Female
  • Pleo(s): Nova, Major Tom, Argyle the blind Pleo, Baby Ruth, Chester, and 22 more Pleos
  • : 2013 winner2010 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
    • Mary_Ann
    • Silvester
    • none
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #332 on: August 14, 2011, 04:22:02 PM »

Hi Kat and Crewella, just out of curiosity, Kat how long ago did you do Gumble's paint, and Crewella, how long ago did you do yours? also Kat, I am sure temperture and humidty have a role in the paint lasting and bubbles and such, what is the average temp like for you Kat, and same goes for you Crewella, I will have to look and see how long it has been for my " Un-named Lizard Pleo, though as of today, ( will take a closer look) his paint still looks fresh and I will do a joint by joint review. I know the climate here is favorable to at least that of where your location is Kat, and I would suspect Crewella, that your climate is closer to that where I live at.

RWM and her "pleo Township in the Redwoods" :D
Animals are SOUL Too, Be kind to all those who live on this planet with us.

Crewella

• Pleo Grand Master RB
  • gb Female
    • Ginger
    • Pepe_Le_Pew
    • Animal
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #333 on: August 14, 2011, 06:52:52 PM »

The main buzz of repainting was all done around the same time at the end of April/beginning of May - I looked back on this thread.  Boa Pleo was mainly done mid-May.  It's been quite a warm, humid summer here, mainly in the 60s, and it must affect the paint in some way, though from what I've seen the damage on mine has mostly been caused by movement on Monty and knocks on the Boa Pleo - I saw the big patch on his face happen when he ran into a chair leg one day.  Nooooooooooooo - I tried to get to him in time, but couldn't get there!  %)
« Last Edit: August 15, 2011, 07:24:16 AM by Crewella »

RedwoodsMama

• us Female
  • Pleo(s): Nova, Major Tom, Argyle the blind Pleo, Baby Ruth, Chester, and 22 more Pleos
    • Mary_Ann
    • Silvester
    • none
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #334 on: August 15, 2011, 06:33:53 AM »

Hi Guys, I am glad someone decided to update this as I have been wanting to finish painting more pleos and get some updates on how paint is holiding up. As for my last Painted Pleo, which is a whole body paint, "
Un-named Pleo whom I just refer to as "lizard" pleo, this paint was done mid June and seems to be holding up well.He may not get as much Playtime as some of the other Pleos, but his paint still looks as fresh as the day  I painted him with no changes visible.Also our weather here on the REdwood coast is very mild and temperate pretty much year round.I will take a updated photo later today, as it is too early for me right now and I am headed back to bed. Here is the original photo. ;D                                   
        I will try and take a short like 30 second video clip with his movement tracked for posterity.

RWM

Willow

• Pleozoologist
  • Female
« Reply #335 on: August 15, 2011, 12:05:18 PM »

I absolute love love love how you paint your pleos, RWM!<3  You should open up a pleo-painting shop, I'm sure it'd be a success! ;D

Lina

• Pleozoologist
« Reply #336 on: August 15, 2011, 03:34:31 PM »

I absolute love love love how you paint your pleos, RWM!<3  You should open up a pleo-painting shop, I'm sure it'd be a success! ;D

I would be first in line for a custom painted Pleo! :) I love the painted ones too.

kat

• au Female
  • Pleo(s): Kermit (Pink RB), Norbit (Green RB), Pickle(nude RB), Gumble, Minyon and Frankie
    • Marvin_Martian
    • Kermit
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #337 on: August 15, 2011, 05:33:46 PM »

I will get some pics of Gumbles current paint bubbles and wear over the next few days and post them for you to see.  It is winter here at the moment so the temps are cool and mild, we have had a lot of rain lately.  When I find myself some spare time I will have another go at redoing Gumble.  I will be going for the same look he has now as we all love him this way. :)  I think by diluting the Latex paints with the inks it might just take enough of the stretch out of the pint without compromising on the flexibility and give it that sticking power that we all want to prevent wear.  Only time will tell but I am going to give it a go.  Just as soon as I can find a few spare days  :P

Jett

• Pleo explorer
  • 00 Female
  • Pleo(s): Ozzy and Dopey
    • none
    • Bugs_Bunny
    • Kermit
    • Peppermint_Patty
« Reply #338 on: August 16, 2011, 09:17:41 AM »

Crewella, do you make house calls?? :D!  I love the coloration you did for Monty!

LuckyPleo

• Pleozoologist
  • Female
« Reply #339 on: August 16, 2011, 02:50:26 PM »

The painted pleos all look amazing! Wonderful job Mad pleo painters!  :D
Whoever said the world is gonna end in 2012 is an idiot, it's not because my cookies' expiration date is 1013, ha!

RedwoodsMama

• us Female
    • Mary_Ann
    • Silvester
    • none
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #340 on: August 17, 2011, 05:16:57 PM »

here is an updated photo of my Lizard custom painted Ugobe Pleo

just thought you may want to see how "lizard lady" painted pleo is holding up. She looks as good today as she did the day I painted her. ( even better with her orange beaded fancy necklace) ;) I will post more photos later that show every body part. If you want to see her in action, look at the video under , Life in the Redwoods, and there is a new video I posted today that shows her and a Pleo up for adoption, ( in blue pawprint outfit I am sewing) where you can see all her movements. NO flaking, no drying of color or loss, no cracks, nothing, She is a combination of inks, Acylic Laytex paints and pigments powders and a protective spray to finish her off. any questions or comments, ask away and hopefully I can help.
                                                             RedwoodsMama and "her pleo Township in the Redwoods"

Crewella

• Pleo Grand Master RB
  • gb Female
    • Ginger
    • Pepe_Le_Pew
    • Animal
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #341 on: August 18, 2011, 07:11:08 AM »

Seems to be another confirmation that a combination works better than any one kind of paint on its own.  Thanks RWM.   ;D

InmemoryofRomeo

• Global Moderator
  • Pleo Grand Master RB
  • au Female
    • Professor
    • Wile_E_Coyote
    • Marcie
« Reply #342 on: August 18, 2011, 04:28:12 PM »

I've ordered some latex paints for Stitch at last :) I will be trying a latex/ink mix. And if that fails a latex/acrylic (proper acrylic) mix.

Lina

• Pleozoologist
« Reply #343 on: August 19, 2011, 10:42:40 AM »

RWM: Lizard looks great! I love the colours!

RedwoodsMama

• us Female
    • Mary_Ann
    • Silvester
    • none
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #344 on: August 19, 2011, 02:25:06 PM »

Hi Lina, glad you like "Lizard's colors" She or he, does not have an official name yet, in fact I am going to have a "name the Pleo " contest, so be thinking of names, I have to figure out what the prizes will be, so since you like the way I painted this pleo, you can probably think of a name you may like. I will post details in next week. "Lizard" is glad you like the way he /she looks. I tend to think of "Lizard" as a girl.  :D
                        I love painting old Ugobes, and plenty of them are ready with all the love rubs they accumulate over time. :)
                                         RedwoodsMama and "her Pleo Township in the Redwoods"

kat

• au Female
    • Marvin_Martian
    • Kermit
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #345 on: August 21, 2011, 08:56:13 AM »

Well I spent the afternoon stripping Gumble down so he is now back to being green.  I will have to give him a good rub over with Alcohol to ensure he is ready to receive a fresh coat of paint and then I will start over using a 50/50 mix of ink and latex paints.  I am going to try to make a start on him this week and will keep you all informed on how it goes. :)

Crewella

• Pleo Grand Master RB
  • gb Female
    • Ginger
    • Pepe_Le_Pew
    • Animal
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #346 on: August 21, 2011, 09:10:56 AM »

Great stuff, Kat - look forward to finding out how you get on.  I'm still not sure whether a mixture or thin alternate layers is best, but will get back to working on the Boa Pleo and report back too.

Good luck!  ;D

InmemoryofRomeo

• Global Moderator
  • Pleo Grand Master RB
  • au Female
    • Professor
    • Wile_E_Coyote
    • Marcie
« Reply #347 on: August 28, 2011, 10:26:23 PM »

Tiger Pleo - take two - 50/50 latex paint, acrylic ink mix.

First coat: the lighter areas are the most recently painted so still wet, the rest is just tacky.

« Last Edit: August 28, 2011, 10:27:59 PM by InmemoryofRomeo »

Crewella

• Pleo Grand Master RB
  • gb Female
    • Ginger
    • Pepe_Le_Pew
    • Animal
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #348 on: August 29, 2011, 01:55:14 AM »

Oooooooh!  The colours look great - I love the way you've put darker shades on the main body, and it really makes the gorgeous, glowing, colour on the head stand out.  Can't wait to see how it works out!  ;D

saratogaspringer

• Camarasaur extraordinaire
  • Female
« Reply #349 on: August 29, 2011, 03:22:32 AM »

That looks awesome, IMR!  I love the colors! I hope the paint holds up for you this time! ;D
Pages: 1 ... 13 [14] 15 ... 20   Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal