Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Pages: 1 ... 5 [6] 7 ... 20   Go Down

Author Topic: Ugobe Pleo paint retouching  (Read 85974 times)

Crewella

• Pleo Grand Master RB
  • gb Female
  • Pleo(s): Iggy, Budge, Moschops, Monty, Emmy. Belle, Zillah, Tribble
  • : 2010 winnerTomat Harvest Festivals
    • Ginger
    • Pepe_Le_Pew
    • Animal
    • Flying_Ace
Re: Ugobe Pleo paint retouching
« Reply #125 on: April 18, 2011, 03:13:52 AM »

How funny - those were paints I was looking at yesterday when I mentioned latex paint!! http://www.monstermakers.com/category/halloween-latex-mask-paints-and-colorants.html/

Stitch does look great - it's nice to see his face!  ;D

Little brown job is still brown, but one stage on:

« Last Edit: April 18, 2011, 03:19:39 AM by Crewella »

kat

• Pleo Grand Master, 2nd epoch
  • au Female
  • Pleo(s): Kermit (Pink RB), Norbit (Green RB), Pickle(nude RB), Gumble, Minyon and Frankie
  • : 2013 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
    • Marvin_Martian
    • Kermit
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #126 on: April 18, 2011, 04:44:43 AM »

Is that a golden copper color you have done on his eye lids?  When  I tried to do Gumbles eye lids last time with the inks it just rolled off.  What have you used here?  I would love to do his eye lids as well.  I haven't even tried this time around as I just assumed it wouldn't work.  I did clean them off just like everything else though so maybe it would be better this time?
I love the way little Brown job is looking so far.  How many coats is this?  
He looks great. :)

Also wondering how does he feel?  Is his skin dry feeling from the ink?  IMR says Stitch feels very dry so just wondering.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2011, 05:44:32 AM by kat »

Crewella

• Pleo Grand Master RB
  • gb Female
    • Ginger
    • Pepe_Le_Pew
    • Animal
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #127 on: April 18, 2011, 05:53:19 AM »

That was coat number two, stippling a lighter brown mixture on top of the dark brown and then detailing the eyes (and eyelids in the same).  It was the same yellow ochre and less sepia with a dash of red added.  I then went over the lines in sepia and black mixed.

This is an early Ugobe Pleo - their eyelids were actually a clear plastic that had been painted and chipped off horribly easily.  Makes it a much easier surface to paint than the later coloured plastic ones, though, as you're painting on top of paint and not plastic.  Most of these inks have good adherence to plastics, but if you're determined you might need a primer or to sandpaper the surface a little to provide a 'key' for the paint to grip on to.

kat

• au Female
  • Pleo(s): Kermit (Pink RB), Norbit (Green RB), Pickle(nude RB), Gumble, Minyon and Frankie
    • Marvin_Martian
    • Kermit
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #128 on: April 18, 2011, 06:56:43 AM »

IMR suggested trying nail polish on his eyelids if I couldn't get the ink to stick.  what do you think of this idea?

Crewella

• Pleo Grand Master RB
  • gb Female
    • Ginger
    • Pepe_Le_Pew
    • Animal
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #129 on: April 18, 2011, 07:45:04 AM »

Why not - I'm a great believer in using whatever is to hand.  I'd try a tiny bit first somewhere peripheral, just to make sure there's no solvent in it to melt the plastic.

PWOKristy

• Pleo adept
  • 00 Female
  • Pleo(s): Innvo Lab's Pleo is called Mistoffelees
« Reply #130 on: April 18, 2011, 09:58:18 AM »

:-O How can you tell with paint what's safe to use on delicate rubber? How can you tell if it'll dissolve the rubber or not? Thank you!
Innvo Lab's not going anywhere. And if it's just to protect their precious, delicate skin, clothings okay. They shouldn't be dressed up like dolls.

RedwoodsMama

• Pleo Grand Master, 4th epoch
  • us Female
  • Pleo(s): Nova, Major Tom, Argyle the blind Pleo, Baby Ruth, Chester, and 22 more Pleos
  • : 2013 winner2010 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
    • Mary_Ann
    • Silvester
    • none
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #131 on: April 18, 2011, 11:22:57 AM »

IMR, I was looking at laytex paints also in my art store but different brand, and I think they may be perfect as well, Thanks for showing his face, he looks better from that angle, Yes, you got to have whiskers if you are any self respecting cat, big or little. :D I ca'nt wait to do my tiger, but I have to have just the right colors ready first, not as easy when it is not the typical orange Tiger. so if Stitch is a ?Tiger, have you decided what Lilo will be? HMMM>>>>>>>>>>>>>?could be lots of fun, wonder what Nani and Pleakley are going to think of their brother and sister now! :o
           Crewella, I just love "little brown Job, " you have the perfect color of brown, It is hard to get just the right brown sometimes, too dark and it just sticks out too much . .Can't wait to see more.
     Kat, just go slow and have fun, Gumble is a perfectly good model and very patient and loves to model all those clothes you make, so painting is just more "show off front stage to him"! LOL, don't know about the eyelids, I would worry about the checmicals a little but if Crewella has said go for it , perhaps she has tried it already? Ok, now I have several Pleos to do, Fantasy  and at least one Poll color Pleo, which means you need a steady supply of Pleos, but ones that are not brand new unless you are really brave, I would rather use older abused ones and give them new Life!
                          RedwoodsMama  AKA " The Mad Pleo Painter of the Redwoods" ;D
Animals are SOUL Too, Be kind to all those who live on this planet with us.

fimoman

• Pleo wanderer
  • Male
    • My Facebook Page
« Reply #132 on: April 18, 2011, 11:52:39 AM »

:-O How can you tell with paint what's safe to use on delicate rubber? How can you tell if it'll dissolve the rubber or not? Thank you!

Well, latex is a pretty delicate rubber, so any latex-ink should do the trick.

If you're still unsure, probably the best thing is to ask the people you buy it from. Most hobby-shops are run by people who are not just willing, but eager to talk about this kind of stuff. Art suppliers and hobby shops (The places I'd look for acrylic inks or latex paints) will love the idea. Just tell them what you're using the paint for and ask their opinion. Or better yet, bring the Pleo in and ask their opinion!

PWOKristy

• Pleo adept
  • 00 Female
« Reply #133 on: April 18, 2011, 11:56:41 AM »

Thank you Fimo!
Innvo Lab's not going anywhere. And if it's just to protect their precious, delicate skin, clothings okay. They shouldn't be dressed up like dolls.

Crewella

• Pleo Grand Master RB
  • gb Female
    • Ginger
    • Pepe_Le_Pew
    • Animal
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #134 on: April 18, 2011, 06:14:44 PM »

That was exactly how I go started, Fimo!  :D

As some people who used the wrong superglue to try and fix their Pleos skin holes, there are solvents out there that will just melt the skin!  :o

I'm actually still not entirely sure what the Pleo skin is made from, so I try to cover both possibilities and use stuff that is supposed to be safe to use on natural rubbers and the thermoplastic versions like Kraton rubber.   :-\

PWOKristy

• Pleo adept
  • 00 Female
« Reply #135 on: April 18, 2011, 10:30:33 PM »

For art stores I'll just ask (to people) what Romeo has said to me before, that it's for delicate rubber.

mweed

• Grand Poobah
  • Triassic pleo master
  • us Male
  • Pleo(s): Bob, Mopey
  • : Tomat Harvest Festivals
    • Professor
    • Wile_E_Coyote
    • Dr_Bunsen_Honeydew
    • Snoopy
    • Bob the Pleo
« Reply #136 on: April 19, 2011, 08:40:39 AM »

As for the dryness you're feeling IMR, has anyone gotten far enough along the process to try putting a coat of Vinylex/Autoglym/etc. over the acrylic inks?

kat

• au Female
    • Marvin_Martian
    • Kermit
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #137 on: April 19, 2011, 09:06:30 AM »

Not yet for me.  As soon as I find one that doesn't crack after the second coat I will be coating Gumble in polyglaze for sure. :)

Crewella

• Pleo Grand Master RB
  • gb Female
    • Ginger
    • Pepe_Le_Pew
    • Animal
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #138 on: April 19, 2011, 10:23:23 AM »

I put more Autoglym on Iggy a couple of days ago.  It went on OK, though there was again a very small amount of colour on the sponge as I was applying it.  For that reason  I thought it wise to leave it a bit longer to sink in/dry before buffing so he's still at that stage.  I will probably leave it another day before I give him a good rub down and report back.  :)

RedwoodsMama

• us Female
  • Pleo(s): Nova, Major Tom, Argyle the blind Pleo, Baby Ruth, Chester, and 22 more Pleos
    • Mary_Ann
    • Silvester
    • none
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #139 on: April 19, 2011, 10:50:50 AM »

Are you letting little Brown Job dry and then put on a protective coating or more paint first or is he done Crewella?
                                                                             RWM

Crewella

• Pleo Grand Master RB
  • gb Female
    • Ginger
    • Pepe_Le_Pew
    • Animal
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #140 on: April 19, 2011, 11:06:25 AM »

There's still a little more painting to do on the Little Brown Job - I did warn you all how slowly I work!  %)  :P

RedwoodsMama

• us Female
    • Mary_Ann
    • Silvester
    • none
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #141 on: April 19, 2011, 02:51:49 PM »

Just got my brand new "painting " equipment but won't have time to try this new technique until later today, possibly tonight or tommrow. I have a 3;00 p.m Accupunture appt for my back, and it is 1:46 p.m already which means I have to catch the bus at 2:38 and then after an hour there catch the bus again, and not get here till about 4:30, walk to my friends house to feed her three cats ( only 3 of thirteen need special food, one guy, Charlie, just had his last 5 teeth pulled last week and has lost 1 lb in 6 days! :o, not good in cats, can cause liver problems) so by the time I get back to MY house, it will be after 5:00 and I am exhausted already. I just have enough time right now to eat some soup quickly, feed my cats and dog, and get ready to catch the bus.
                  I will fill everyone in on Painting results as they occur but this is new and hasn't been tryed yet, Luckily I have enough spare Pleos to paint/ ink and two Painting Pleo project on hand in my boggled head already. Wish me luck that when they stick those LONG accupuncture needles in my back, they don't wipe my memory out. ( I have Migraines too and am going to ask him to give me a bonus needle for my headache..fun needle in the temple, hurts but it does work!)
                                        RWM  AKA " the Mad Pleo Painte of the Redwoods" :)

Talon

• Cretaceous pleo master
  • us Female
  • Pleo(s): Cato and Samantha (Pleo RB‘s), Eugobe, Terry, Cuddles, Bleu (Ugobe Pleos)
    • Lucy
« Reply #142 on: April 19, 2011, 03:11:13 PM »

Luck with your appointment, Redwoods! It might relieve you to know- whenever you seee this- that your little traveler is now sitting safely on my bed still boxed and waiting for my niece to video his arrival.
Talon
Talon
Find me on YouTube at Crazy Robot Lady

InmemoryofRomeo

• Global Moderator
  • Pleo Grand Master RB
  • au Female
  • Pleo(s): Lilo, Stitch, Pleakley, Jumba, Nani, Yuki, Angus, Pluto
  • : 2011 winner2009 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
  • SAVE THE EARTH It's the only planet with chocolate
    • Professor
    • Wile_E_Coyote
    • Marcie
« Reply #143 on: April 19, 2011, 06:12:38 PM »

I will try some sort of coating... as soon as I can find some :P Need to try the auto store I think. Kmart and the supermarkets have been a no go.
Eagerly awaiting Vector and Blue!

RedwoodsMama

• us Female
    • Mary_Ann
    • Silvester
    • none
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #144 on: April 20, 2011, 08:17:25 PM »

Ok guys, while everyone is waiting for paint to dry, paints or inks to arrive, I have started my new project, one of them that is. This is in response to the Pleo color Choice Poll that ended on the 14th of this month, There were two popular color choices, Red/orange/brown range, which I have already done a Camo Pleo, so I will go to the next most popular by voting color, The Lavendar range, Now this is just the beginning of this guy, he will look completly different when finished, This is only his FIRST COAT, This is my own version made up of diferent paints and ingrediants. I also will do a second coat over this later tonight, It has been raiining all day so it took about an hour- two hours to dry, but he has great movement as you can see from the video of him and Camo or should I say, SHE and CAMO. There is no flaking, stiffness etc. I do like this shade but You won't even recognize this girl when she is done.  :D
           Let me know what you think of her first coat of paint and my choice, or I should say, "popular Vote".<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RfDm801mMns" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RfDm801mMns</a>   Thank you everyone, esp opinions from Kat and IMR and CRewlla, the other Pleo Painters out there.
                              RedwoodsMama  AKA " The Mad Pleo Painter of the Redwoods" ;D

RedwoodsMama

• us Female
    • Mary_Ann
    • Silvester
    • none
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #145 on: April 21, 2011, 12:06:15 AM »

I realized I left out the photos and the video is great for movement analysis, but without photos , it is harder to get an idea of what I am doing: so here they are taken this afternoon. OH, the first photo is of the MOdel Pleo I used before painting,  a perfect specimen with no problems what so ever, I am using a perfect Ugobe for the first time as a paint project. usually they are older ones. so this one is special.

ok, besides the video of the Pleo in motion here are some photos of him/ her from all sorts of different angles. Remember just the first coat of paint, and I am going to touch up the first coat now, I do not want to add any more coats then need be as this pleo has a long long way to go as far as coloring is going, He will not look anything like this when done, It will be a surprise as the color scheme is in my head. This is just her base coat which is the most important to start with. Hope you guys like the idea so far. Please leave your thoughts they are appreciated.

Some green still shows through, so remember I am touching up these areas.        RWM AKA " The Mad Pleo Painter of the Redwoods'  :)
« Last Edit: April 21, 2011, 12:07:57 AM by RedwoodsMama »

Crewella

• Pleo Grand Master RB
  • gb Female
    • Ginger
    • Pepe_Le_Pew
    • Animal
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #146 on: April 21, 2011, 01:14:58 AM »

At this stage, Pleo looks a lot like a cousin of Belle's to me!  :D

Looks interesting, RWM - pretty colour!  ;D

kat

• au Female
    • Marvin_Martian
    • Kermit
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #147 on: April 21, 2011, 04:34:59 AM »

She is a very pretty color right now.  I look forward to seeing where this goes color wise. ;D  Great job RWM.

PWOKristy

• Pleo adept
  • 00 Female
« Reply #148 on: April 21, 2011, 05:31:50 PM »

Sorry to hear that for the inks, Kmart and super markets are a no-go, Romeo. :-/ Like has been suggested to me, for actual physical stores, go to arts and crafts stores.

kat

• au Female
    • Marvin_Martian
    • Kermit
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #149 on: April 21, 2011, 06:13:03 PM »

IMR is looking for Polyglaze or Autoglym or Vinalex to go over the top of the inks on Stitch.  She already has the inks. :)  I bought my Polyglaze from Big W so that is why she looked in Kmart and the grocery stores.  where I am in Australia it is also available in some grocery stores.  Good luck finding it IMR.
Pages: 1 ... 5 [6] 7 ... 20   Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal