Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Paint repair kit for Pleo RB  (Read 19501 times)

Crewella

• Pleo Grand Master RB
  • gb Female
  • Pleo(s): Iggy, Budge, Moschops, Monty, Emmy. Belle, Zillah, Tribble
  • : 2010 winnerTomat Harvest Festivals
    • Ginger
    • Pepe_Le_Pew
    • Animal
    • Flying_Ace
Re: Paint repair kit for Pleo RB
« Reply #25 on: April 12, 2011, 07:20:53 PM »

Just as an update, and as a warning to anybody else that might be interested.

I paid for this with Paypal and settled down to wait 30 interminable days for it to arrive.  The seller then contacted me to confirm the colours would be as stated in the listing:

Package include - One bottles of each paint in Green, Yellow, Purple, Pink, Clear color (For Diluting purpose), about 7.0 ml each color.

Now I have to admit I'd not taken much notice of that, and the pics show green, yellow, pink, blue and clear.  When asked, the seller confirmed that there would be no blue included, although that could be arranged.  As my only RB is blue, I said yes please!

I'm not complaining - at least the seller did their best to put me straight, but I thought I should draw attention to it in case somebody else made the same schoolboy error!  :P

I will report back when this kit finally arrives, it will be interesting to see how long it actually takes.  :D

Crewella

• Pleo Grand Master RB
  • gb Female
    • Ginger
    • Pepe_Le_Pew
    • Animal
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #26 on: May 06, 2011, 05:54:13 AM »

Well, my Pleo RB paint repair kit has arrived!  :D

They sent me green/yellow/pink/purple/clear after all, in spite of my request for a blue, but a quick email sorted that and the apologised very nicely and promised to airmail me a blue one pronto.  ;D

The paints seem very different from the water based paints I've been using for the Pleo painting projects, for a start they have a strong solvent smell.  Each paint comes in a little half-full bottle with its own brush, like nail polish.  The told me when I asked that the clear is for diluting when mixing colour, but the kit comes with no instructions whatsoever.

I'll have a play with them and report back.

kat

• Pleo Grand Master, 2nd epoch
  • au Female
  • Pleo(s): Kermit (Pink RB), Norbit (Green RB), Pickle(nude RB), Gumble, Minyon and Frankie
  • : 2013 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
    • Marvin_Martian
    • Kermit
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #27 on: May 06, 2011, 08:22:57 AM »

Maybe if you email them to ask they may be able to give you some pointers on how to mix and apply and what to use to clean it up afterwords. %)  Look forward to seeing what they do. :)

RedwoodsMama

• Pleo Grand Master, 4th epoch
  • us Female
  • Pleo(s): Nova, Major Tom, Argyle the blind Pleo, Baby Ruth, Chester, and 22 more Pleos
  • : 2013 winner2010 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
    • Mary_Ann
    • Silvester
    • none
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #28 on: May 06, 2011, 11:57:48 AM »

Hi Kat, will the seller tell you what type of paints they are, Acrylic water based etc? The solvent smell you mention, I wonder if it is the same smell you get with the brand new Pleo Rb, I have a feeling this person works or has access to the Innvo Lab that is in Taiwan and that is why they are able to sell these. ? Very curious. Do they give any promise that these will not damage Pleos, since they are supposed to be for Pleos?Anxious to see the results, are you doing a test area or a touchup of ????
                                       RedwoodsMama
Animals are SOUL Too, Be kind to all those who live on this planet with us.

OzPleo

• Apprentice pleo master
  • Male
    • Ventriloquist - Ben and MJ
« Reply #29 on: May 06, 2011, 02:51:40 PM »

hey that is interesting. We're all waiting with baited breath to read the results of this kit.

Crewella

• Pleo Grand Master RB
  • gb Female
    • Ginger
    • Pepe_Le_Pew
    • Animal
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #30 on: May 06, 2011, 03:37:18 PM »

I have done exactly that Kat!  I've asked the seller for some advice on application for best results.  They've already told me to clean the skin with alcohol before painting - I'm going to have to try and dig out a Pleo that's not yet been got at with the Autoglym, I think!  :P

I will post as soon as I have any news, but I'd rather give this stuff the best chance and do it properly, rather than just dive in.

bhobbes

« Reply #31 on: May 06, 2011, 04:34:49 PM »

Please definitely let us know!

While I'm no fan of painting (and quite poorly skilled at it), I really am getting egggh about Cato's love spots. I like him "naked" (since I'm such a fan of the blue) but wanna protect his skin since his spots were created within a few days.

I'm hoping these work out for all of you and create nice results :) (I've been lurking around the painting posts as they appear)

OzPleo

• Apprentice pleo master
  • Male
« Reply #32 on: May 07, 2011, 12:12:54 AM »

I sent the supplier an email and this was his reply:

Yes, the paints fit for Pleo or Pleo
rb. Please advise the Pleo version you have on hand in your order. The
paints can be used directly onto the Pleo. You do not have to add the clear
one unless you like to do so. It will not damage to the Pleo skin because
they are the same paint and passed the toy safety requirement. Please be
cautious as follows.

Crewella

• Pleo Grand Master RB
  • gb Female
    • Ginger
    • Pepe_Le_Pew
    • Animal
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #33 on: May 07, 2011, 04:32:17 AM »

Yep - not exactly flooding you with info, are they!  :P

I've had similar replies, but I'm plugging away at them!  :D

I get the feeling that language might be a bit of a barrier, as the sense I get from their responses overall is friendly and willing to help, and they do seem to be trying to please.  This is what they've said:

You do not have to mix the paints since these are exact colors. Simply Shake well, clean the skin with alcohol and then you can apply directly to the Pleo skin. For clear one, you do not have to add unless you like to do so. Probably you can start with a small area and let us know the outcome.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2011, 04:59:58 AM by Crewella »

OzPleo

• Apprentice pleo master
  • Male
« Reply #34 on: May 07, 2011, 07:25:13 AM »

So I wonder what the point of the clear one would be other than perhaps to patch up small holes or something similar.

kat

• au Female
  • Pleo(s): Kermit (Pink RB), Norbit (Green RB), Pickle(nude RB), Gumble, Minyon and Frankie
    • Marvin_Martian
    • Kermit
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #35 on: May 07, 2011, 08:59:30 AM »

It is a little interesting.  I was wondering how you go about mixing it to the correct color tones as the clear isn't going to change the color if you use it as a mixer.  Most RB's have at least two different color tones on their skin, if you look closely you will probably see 3 or 4.  So with only one shade of each color I'm not too sure just how useful it will be.  Unless I am wrong and the clear will dilute it to a softer lighter tone?

Crewella

• Pleo Grand Master RB
  • gb Female
    • Ginger
    • Pepe_Le_Pew
    • Animal
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #36 on: May 11, 2011, 12:27:19 AM »

OK, I had a go on my newly arrived Pleo with the repair kit paints.  The colours are specifically for the Pleo RB, but the green was much the same as the green on the head of my Ugobe Pleo, and as he had some rubs above his top lip where you could see the skin colour showing through, it seemed like a good place to start.

The colours do need a good, frequent shake, and because of the bumpy skin texture it's easiest to just dab at the skin with the brush straight from the bottle.  When it first went on it looked too thin and incredible glossy - and then went through a sort of whitish frosted stage, but it did dry to the exact texture of the original Pleo paint.

So far, it seems great. It definitely is just a repair kit, there's not enough in the bottles to do a full project, but for owners just wanting to keep the wear at bay it seems great so far.

The last pic was taken in the best light to show the difference - it's very, very slightly glossier, but that's because the rest of the paint has worn, I think.  I'll do a second coat, try mixing the colours and report back.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2011, 12:56:55 AM by Crewella »

kat

• au Female
    • Marvin_Martian
    • Kermit
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #37 on: May 11, 2011, 02:58:22 AM »

It does seem a little more glossy than the rest of him but the color looks good.  will be interesting to see how it goes. :)
Kat

Crewella

• Pleo Grand Master RB
  • gb Female
    • Ginger
    • Pepe_Le_Pew
    • Animal
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #38 on: May 11, 2011, 05:13:56 AM »

Remembering that this paint is for the Pleo RB, and my patient is an old and rubbed Ugobe Pleo - I'm pretty sure that the paint would not show up at all on the slightly glossier Pleo RB skin, or even the Innvo Pleo. The texture feels just right.

They've very kindly sent me an additional bottle of blue paint as they had originally agreed to send blue instead of pink.  Anybody thinking of buying some, make sure you are clear on which of the two you want, pink or blue.  The green, yellow, purple and clear are always included. :)
« Last Edit: May 12, 2011, 06:10:14 PM by Crewella »

Crewella

• Pleo Grand Master RB
  • gb Female
    • Ginger
    • Pepe_Le_Pew
    • Animal
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #39 on: May 12, 2011, 06:09:40 PM »

I've done a second coat, and considering it's Pleo RB green, which is slightly paler and brighter than Ugobe Pleo green, it looks pretty good.  I also tried a tiny patch on Belle to compare the blue and that's fine too.  I'd be happy to recommend this kit as an easy solution for people wanting to touch up the wear on their Pleo RBs, but it's a strong solvent-based paint and not for children to use.  It certainly takes the hassle out of trying to find the right colour and texture of paint, and though you don't get a lot of it (each bottle is less than half full as you can see from the pics) it would probably last for ages unless you have to paint a whole leg!  :D

RedwoodsMama

• us Female
  • Pleo(s): Nova, Major Tom, Argyle the blind Pleo, Baby Ruth, Chester, and 22 more Pleos
    • Mary_Ann
    • Silvester
    • none
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #40 on: May 12, 2011, 09:19:10 PM »

That looks very encouraging and good to know for those of us with Pleo Rb, too bad though that there just isn't enough paint for a whole makeover of our older Ugobes and Innvo Model Pleos. oh well, I did find yesterday a product that looks like it is the perfect solution to paint Pleos that is the type of paint used for Pleos, and I have some ordered that is on it's way to me now, I have a lot of it, ( more than a pint!) plus I can mix my own custom colors which I am vey anxious to do and it is supposed to dry quick, and is flexible! ;D It is comming by UPS and should arrive sometime next week, Woohoo!
             I have a couple of Pleos to do, and I plan on trying to redo the lavendar with this New stuff and as soon as it arrives I will try it out and post the results. This was just in the nick of time before I went out and bought more paints. I am very excited about trying this stuff as I couldn't get it at any of the stores arouond here and this saved a lot of legwork.
                   I am glad Crewella that you have some paint for Belle if she needs it in the future, should be enough shouldn't it! OH, how quick does this stuff dry that you are using, did they give you any instructions at all besides using alcohol to clean before hand?
                                                RedwoodsMama         Aka "The Mad Pleo Painter of the Redwoods"   

Crewella

• Pleo Grand Master RB
  • gb Female
    • Ginger
    • Pepe_Le_Pew
    • Animal
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #41 on: May 13, 2011, 12:08:34 AM »

It does dry quickly, but I've posted all the info they've sent me I'm afraid.  It seems like the clear bottle is the solvent, I guess.  :-\

kat

• au Female
    • Marvin_Martian
    • Kermit
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #42 on: May 13, 2011, 06:18:32 AM »

Thanks for sharing your experience with this Crewella.  It is great to see that this repair kit seems to be working well so far.  The touch up you have done looks good.  You can't really notice that it isn't the exact same color unless you look very closely and very hard. :)  Great job!

latrine

• Pleo whisperer
  • Female
  • Gutless wonder
    • 'Not even close to being done yet'
« Reply #43 on: May 16, 2011, 12:35:10 PM »

I'm thinking about getting this as I am very sad (and pissed) to report that my new baby Pleo RB already has quite a few places that need to be painted.. his front mouth/nose area paint has ripped up slightly on both sides, the area around his teeth is horrible, whoever put the teeth in did a terrible job, he actually had a few tiny unpainted areas on his back when I opened him but I was so excited about the eye color I just figured.. whatever, It's not like I'm going to send him back for a few spots..

I'm a little scared about the whole painting him thing.. He also has some spots on his neck that wont show up in pictures, it looks like two clear areas separated at 'seam-like' spots on the neck, where the lines are... it's like whatever clear coat is over him is already cracking off. I have seen that on Lyssa, my old ugobe, but not on any of the RB's  keep in mind I have had this RB for like 2 weeks and with how sick I've been and stuck siting around in a chair with my back screwed up, they have really been running around on their own with a few cuddles here and there (after the cuddling hatching phase, of course) 

Has anyone painted any RB's or touched them up at all, or has it just been ugobes? And, Crewella, should I buy this, do you think?  Or would it be just as easy to just go buy paints at the store?  If these colors really do match it sounds like a good idea..

Thanks!!

- Sarah

RedwoodsMama

• us Female
    • Mary_Ann
    • Silvester
    • none
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #44 on: May 16, 2011, 12:48:29 PM »

Hi Latrine, I am sorry to hear about the paint on your new RB, it should not have paint comming off already...the only thing I can think of is that POSSIBLY while walking on their own, your Rb ran into something or rubbed on something over and over.  :( As far as I know the only one on the forums who has used these paints yet is Crewella so she is the best one to ask. As for other Paints, I have some comming to me on Thursday by UPS that I am very excited about, I think anyone can use them and they sound perfect for RB! As soon as I get them I will try them out. I would wait for Crewella to answer you and also you do not want to paint your new Rb and void the warranty untill the 90 days is up, If the paint gets really realy bad, take photos and post them to PleoWorld while the warranty is still in effect is all I can suggest for now, I hope your Rb gets no worse . Why not post photos so we can see what the paint looks like?
                                    RWM

OzPleo

• Apprentice pleo master
  • Male
« Reply #45 on: May 16, 2011, 02:39:53 PM »

Looking forward to reading more about the paints you're waiting on RWM.

Crewella:- thanks for the review it was very helpful

RedwoodsMama

• us Female
    • Mary_Ann
    • Silvester
    • none
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #46 on: May 16, 2011, 02:46:57 PM »

I know I am so excited, I wish it  was Thursday already, only 3 more days, luckily my mail and UPS comes in the morning, I will post a video of the results and also the application if it works the way I am hoping it does, From everything I have read it is the perfect stuff and made for Pleos and Pleo Rb! And you can make your own custom colors so I only have to decide on a color scheme, but I think I will do a simple one to start with for the "test run".  ;D Now all I have to do is keep busy between now and Thursday............ :o ;)
                                                        RWM

kat

• au Female
    • Marvin_Martian
    • Kermit
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #47 on: May 16, 2011, 04:06:59 PM »

Kermy has a couple of spots on her shoulders that have pealed off.  I am thinking about touching her up and was wondering about this repair kit.  It seems to only come with one shade of each color.  I will need both the light and dark pink for touching her up.  So not sure if this will work for me.  Does anyone know if it is the light pink you get with the kit or the dark one and is there a white to dilute the colors to a lighter shade?  I don't think the clear stuff will make any difference to the shade of the color.
Kat

RedwoodsMama

• us Female
    • Mary_Ann
    • Silvester
    • none
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #48 on: May 16, 2011, 05:11:10 PM »

Hi Kat, ask Crewella as she should know as she has the kit, I don't think anyone else here does and from what I have seen, there is no white...Sorry, good luck Kat!
                       RWM :)

kat

• au Female
    • Marvin_Martian
    • Kermit
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #49 on: May 16, 2011, 05:27:37 PM »

I may just end up using the latex paints I used on Gumble and mixing up the colors I need.  I'm not in a hurry though so will wait and see what progresses here with this repair kit. :)
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal