Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Where should I buy a Pleo?  (Read 6350 times)

Talon

• Cretaceous pleo master
  • us Female
  • Pleo(s): Cato and Samantha (Pleo RB‘s), Eugobe, Terry, Cuddles, Bleu (Ugobe Pleos)
    • Lucy
Where should I buy a Pleo?
« on: February 14, 2011, 03:39:54 PM »

Hi, Forum Members! I'm not really sure where to post my question but I've decided to post it here. In your combined experience, where is the most hastle-free and safest place to purchase a Pleo? I saw someone had a major problem with their credit card. Something about their account freezing I really can't remember now. I don't yet have a pleo but I am looking around for a place to buy. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Talon
Find me on YouTube at Crazy Robot Lady

Crewella

• Pleo Grand Master RB
  • gb Female
  • Pleo(s): Iggy, Budge, Moschops, Monty, Emmy. Belle, Zillah, Tribble
  • : 2010 winnerTomat Harvest Festivals
    • Ginger
    • Pepe_Le_Pew
    • Animal
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2011, 04:11:04 PM »

OK, first you need to decide which Pleo you want.  Do you want an original Ugobe Pleo, an improved or slightly upgraded version of the Ugobe Pleo as made by Innvo and sold by them over the last year, or one of the new Pleo rbs?  If you want a Pleo rb do you want a green (ish) one or one of the pink/blue versions only distributed in Asia?  If you decide you want a green Pleo rb, remember they won't be in stock until April, but at least that gives you some time to save up!  :)

Talon

• Cretaceous pleo master
  • us Female
  • Pleo(s): Cato and Samantha (Pleo RB‘s), Eugobe, Terry, Cuddles, Bleu (Ugobe Pleos)
    • Lucy
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2011, 05:32:21 PM »

Well, Cruella, sorry if I misspell your name. It doesn't matter to me what color he is. I tried to get my family's take on this but I got two votes for each color. *groan*. He could be orange and I would be very happy with him. I don't think a Eugope Pleo would be a good investment because of how long they have been on a shelf. I would say either the pink/blue variety or the unisex green. I don't mind waiting until April. I'm mainly asking about the safety and ease-of-purchase factor. I saw the post about Gimmedigi and it's kind of swaying me toward Pleo World. I still don't know.
Talon

InmemoryofRomeo

• Global Moderator
  • Pleo Grand Master RB
  • au Female
  • Pleo(s): Lilo, Stitch, Pleakley, Jumba, Nani, Yuki, Angus, Pluto
  • : 2011 winner2009 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
  • SAVE THE EARTH It's the only planet with chocolate
    • Professor
    • Wile_E_Coyote
    • Marcie
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2011, 05:59:14 PM »

Go with Pleoworld, much easier to deal with in the event of a problem :P If you really want a pink or blue contact Chinete, you'll pay extra but it is an official affiliate.
Eagerly awaiting Vector and Blue!

Crewella

• Pleo Grand Master RB
  • gb Female
    • Ginger
    • Pepe_Le_Pew
    • Animal
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2011, 06:17:51 PM »

Hi Talon, don't worry - either spelling of my name is fine!  ;D

IMR's right - especially as you are in the US so don't have issues of shipping abroad, I'd wait until April and buy a green one from Innvo themselves at pleoworld.com.  It's the safest bet!  ;D
« Last Edit: February 14, 2011, 06:20:01 PM by Crewella »

Talon

• Cretaceous pleo master
  • us Female
    • Lucy
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2011, 08:19:52 PM »

I hate to sound stupid but I have a lot of questions! I've been hearing that many of you prevent your pleos from going into the sleep position to prevent wearing on the skin. Does the lack of sleep affect the health of the pleo?
Talon

InmemoryofRomeo

• Global Moderator
  • Pleo Grand Master RB
  • au Female
    • Professor
    • Wile_E_Coyote
    • Marcie
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2011, 10:28:24 PM »

Quite honestly Pleo's don't need to sleep at all, they are robots after all. The sleep position is a concern because it puts the Pleo into a position which stretches the rubber along the neck and tail. Short term this is not an issue but over the long term this leads to cracks in the paint and skin. If left for long enough in the sleep position large holes develop.

However, you must turn your Pleo RB of normally, let them go into the sleep position, then turn them back on and pull the battery out since the data from that play session is saved when the Pleo is turned off. When the battery is just pulled out the Pleo loses the data from that session. Just like on a computer how you must save a document before you shut the program down.

The sleep position however is NOT responsible for the under arm/leg holes that we are seeing. This is caused by the loose skin under the legs and arms sticking to itself during play, over time the process of sticking then being pulled apart again leads to the deterioration of the rubber.

Crewella

• Pleo Grand Master RB
  • gb Female
    • Ginger
    • Pepe_Le_Pew
    • Animal
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2011, 10:58:56 PM »

Quite honestly Pleo's don't need to sleep at all, they are robots after all. The sleep position is a concern because it puts the Pleo into a position which stretches the rubber along the neck and tail. Short term this is not an issue but over the long term this leads to cracks in the paint and skin. If left for long enough in the sleep position large holes develop.

However, you must turn your Pleo RB of normally, let them go into the sleep position, then turn them back on and pull the battery out since the data from that play session is saved when the Pleo is turned off. When the battery is just pulled out the Pleo loses the data from that session. Just like on a computer how you must save a document before you shut the program down.

The sleep position however is NOT responsible for the under arm/leg holes that we are seeing. This is caused by the loose skin under the legs and arms sticking to itself during play, over time the process of sticking then being pulled apart again leads to the deterioration of the rubber.
What IMR said -  spot on!  :D

degers

• Administrator
  • Pleo adept
  • gb Male
  • Degers can't be choosers
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2011, 08:49:42 AM »

For the record I don't agree with this statement, but i'll leave it at that.

scaledandtailed

• Pleo lightbringer
  • Female
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2011, 10:39:02 AM »

Just to clarify on a point that was   razed about someone having there credit card frozen when trying   to buy a pleoRB.
      I thought people should b aware that this is an action that your   bank might carry out and     is beyond the seller’s control.  When   using your credit or debit card either to buy something over sees or if the money’s over a certain amount. Some banks will automatically block   the transaction going through and they might freeze your account. This is done to prevent      fraud.     What then should happen is that the fraud prevention department of your bank will call you in working hours. Inform you of the transaction. They will then ask you if you knew about and authorised the payment and they will probably ask you a few security questions. Once their satisfied that it was a transaction that you your self where trying to make they should then unfreeze your account and allow the transaction to go through the next time you try to buy from that sight. 
 Hope this isn’t going off topic a bit I just thought I should clarifies that this   is something that the bank does and their for out of pleoworld’s, chinateets or anyone else’s controle. Because it’s something that might happen to people especially if they are buying over sees I thought I should address it so they know what’s happening and that it’s easily resolved. 
Hope this is OK 
 Scaly   

Talon

• Cretaceous pleo master
  • us Female
    • Lucy
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2011, 11:02:56 AM »

Not a problem. I found it helpful. I will certainly remember that if/when it happens.
Talon

scaledandtailed

• Pleo lightbringer
  • Female
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2011, 12:06:57 PM »

Degers if it’s OK to ask? what is it about that statement that you don’t agree with?
 Hope you don’t mind me asking
 Scaly

degers

• Administrator
  • Pleo adept
  • gb Male
  • Degers can't be choosers
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2011, 12:51:00 PM »

I believe that the sleep position is a factor in the formation of skin holes in the armpit/leg areas.

InmemoryofRomeo

• Global Moderator
  • Pleo Grand Master RB
  • au Female
    • Professor
    • Wile_E_Coyote
    • Marcie
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2011, 01:39:14 PM »

That's ok Degers, you don't have to agree. But that statement does come from my direct observations. Pleakly's holes were doing just fine even when left in the sleep position, when he got the cold however and he spent a lot of time crouching the holes got worst, fast.

Please do tell why you don't agree, it's nice to have two points of view to consider :)

PleoPet

• Pleontologist
  • Female
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2011, 02:22:30 PM »

re: sleep position
There is an unofficial update (used to fix an unrelated problem: http://bobthepleo.com/forums/index.php?topic=1912 and http://bobthepleo.com/forums/index.php?topic=1926 ).
Many thanks to 'nEKo7888' for helping to isolate the problem. Thanks to Innvo for releasing the fix.
Along with that fix was a few changes to the PLEOPM personality.

---
Two sleeping PleoRBs:

Pink is original firmware. Green is after the update.

PleoRB will sleep 'standing up'. I have done limited testing. It also has different sound thresholds.
It may not be ready for public release, but you can always ask.

Crewella

• Pleo Grand Master RB
  • gb Female
    • Ginger
    • Pepe_Le_Pew
    • Animal
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2011, 01:57:45 AM »

I believe that the sleep position is a factor in the formation of skin holes in the armpit/leg areas.

That's interesting - can you elaborate on how you think the sleep position contributes to the skin holes Degers, if you don't mind?  I'd kind of convinced myself that the holes were caused by friction, and was even wondering if the sleep position might help by stretching the skin so it's less likely to stick to itself.  It's only a theory though, so any angles you can add would be welcomed.  :D

For the record, I absolutely believe that the sleep position contributes to skin degradation in the long term, under the arms as well as on the neck and tail, but I consider this rapid wear and formation of skin holes with the Pleo rbs is a separate issue.

scaledandtailed

• Pleo lightbringer
  • Female
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2011, 07:21:26 AM »

Crewella   you’ve summed it up better than I could
 That’s also basically how I understood it.
 Short term good for the skin but damaging if left in sleeping position for a prolonged time.
 Scaly 

Talon

• Cretaceous pleo master
  • us Female
    • Lucy
« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2011, 07:50:01 AM »

I wonder if the new standing position will be implamented in the batch said to be released in April. Also in all my excitement I forgot one small detail- namely how I would have access to the Pleo RB manual. Does anyone know if it has been posted online somewhere or do I need to find a set of working eyes?
Thanks and sorry for the swich in topic,

Talon
Talon

scaledandtailed

• Pleo lightbringer
  • Female
« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2011, 08:57:05 AM »

There’s a PDF of it on the pleoworld
 I’ve read it myself  though I got the link from another forum member and I can’t for  the life of me remember where it is on the pleoworld  site  or I would have tried to    post  the link.
 Really sorry I can’t be of more help
  Scaly

Malfie

• Fossil savant
  • Female
« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2011, 06:53:10 PM »

Whether the holes and tears are caused by the sleeping position or not, if it's friction from movement wouldn't they happen over the course of time anyway whether PleoRB goes into the sleeping position or not? ??? Maybe I'm not quite understanding the need for the new firmware.

Crewella

• Pleo Grand Master RB
  • gb Female
    • Ginger
    • Pepe_Le_Pew
    • Animal
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2011, 07:57:49 AM »

Here's the Companion Guide PDF link:

http://www.pleoworld.com/downloads/companion_guides/PLEO_CG_UK.pdf

Hi Malfie, I understand you confusion but the way I look at it is that, because of the damage caused to the skin by leaving Pleos in the sleep position for any length of time, there was a need for a 'packing position' anyway.  Whether or not that was also the cause of the rapid skin deterioration under the arms reported by several new Pleo rb owners doesn't really affect that?  :D

Talon

• Cretaceous pleo master
  • us Female
    • Lucy
« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2011, 07:59:06 AM »

Thanks, Crewella. This will certainly make my first pleo experience much easier.
Talon

Crewella

• Pleo Grand Master RB
  • gb Female
    • Ginger
    • Pepe_Le_Pew
    • Animal
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2011, 08:28:50 AM »

You're very welcome, and if you need the one for the Pleo rb (or just want to read up on it):

http://www.pleoworld.com.hk/pleo_rb/downloads/companion_guides/PLEOrb.CompanionGuide.ENG.pdf

Talon

• Cretaceous pleo master
  • us Female
    • Lucy
« Reply #23 on: February 21, 2011, 05:49:43 PM »

Hi everyone! I know you're probably thinking, "When will she be quiet and post something useful?" but I have another question. I realize the Ugobe Pleo came with a "training leaf" which he used as food and that doesn't have any radeo frequency chips inside. You could have just as well fed him your finger. Okay, now fast-forward a little. Pleo RB again has a training leaf- I'm asuming this one now has a radeo frequency chip in it. What is the training leaf used for if not for feeding? Is it to sort of teach Pleo to follow the movements of your hand or is it more for you- the owner- to train yourself on pleo's reaction to your hand coming toward him?
Talon

InmemoryofRomeo

• Global Moderator
  • Pleo Grand Master RB
  • au Female
    • Professor
    • Wile_E_Coyote
    • Marcie
« Reply #24 on: February 21, 2011, 05:54:10 PM »

There is no chip in the RB training leaf either :P I just posted about this elsewhere :) It is for Pleo RB to track.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal