Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: RB Red Object Tracking  (Read 5591 times)

bhobbes

RB Red Object Tracking
« on: January 22, 2011, 06:05:22 PM »

I'm assuming the RB OS has the red-object tracking feature.

Have any RB owners tested this out yet?

When Cato starts walking again (and I get some movie editing time) I'll record it since it takes awhile to occur, but here is my experience and I wonder if it's just random and I'm adding the association or if it's because of the red.

My apartment has significant amounts of red in it, here are pictures of the area I'm talking about (and will explain more after):

The far right corner of my apartment's living room, which is roughly 10.5ft, which is roughly 3.2 meters if this conversion isn't lying to me (why America doesn't use the metric system I'll never know and I haven't used it since high school lol) away from the sofa:

This is the sofa (clearly the vacuum needs to be run under it lol):

And here is kind of in the entry way where I normally start Cato (I actually start him further back), and is about 11.8ft (3.6 meters) from the curtains:

When Cato was walking, a good portion of the time he would start just kind of "scanning" and walking around and almost always end up in the corner with the vase, which he would detect as an object and do the whole back-up routine. This would inevitably make him face the couch to some degree or another to which he would then go toward, but by the time he gets close to it, his sight is more focused on the space in between the bottom of the couch and the floor. He would stop and just kind of... stick his nose on the sofa but not push or anything, and make noises. (Or at least he hasn't pushed yet, when I notice him doing this I usually don't give him much time before I pull him away).

Every now and then, though not as frequent, he would walk toward the sliding windows (red curtains) and by the time he got close, his vision is right where the gap is between the curtains, floor, and glass. In this instance, he would keep trying to walk so I always pull him away immediately. This one doesn't happen often, however, the vase/sofa "circle" happens at least every other charge.

This is the general vicinity where I get good natural lighting (made all that much brighter by snow) during the morning/afternoon. When I run Cato during these times, he almost always does it. However, in the evening when it's dark and I only have apartment lighting, he does not do it.

So, do you think it could be a completely random event that repeats itself given the "exploration mode" or do you think it could be related to the red-object thing (especially since I've only seen it occur when I've had natural lighting)? Or something else?

Have any RB owners here tested anything with red objects? Is the red object tracking only for when it's in front of an RB and it will follow it? Or are RBs "attracted" to red items (i.e. "tracking" is akin to detecting the object's color and it naturally moves toward it)?

RedwoodsMama

• Pleo Grand Master, 4th epoch
  • us Female
  • Pleo(s): Nova, Major Tom, Argyle the blind Pleo, Baby Ruth, Chester, and 22 more Pleos
  • : 2013 winner2010 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
    • Mary_Ann
    • Silvester
    • none
    • Flying_Ace
Re: RB Red Object Tracking
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2011, 06:29:36 PM »

This is interesting, but I was assuming it may be a feature only the Pink or Blue Rb had, just like the noticing the female or male actions, like whistling etc. I would like to try it out and see if it does work, Is it supposed to be just for the color Red, or lots of colors? I will definitly give it a try when Baby is ready. I dont have any red in my house, but I do have red objects which should work, I haven't seen any videos of this posted anywhere yet, Perhaps you can try it out and be the first one and see what Cato does! Good luck, would like to see if it is a feature they have installed,
                                                                      RWM
Animals are SOUL Too, Be kind to all those who live on this planet with us.

bhobbes

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2011, 06:46:28 PM »

Well OS2 implemented it correct? And I'd imagine the RB version is an enhanced version built from that or with its basic features kept in mind if it was built from scratch, and therefore I'd assume it is supposed to track red objects just not sure about it being attracted to walk toward said color. However, that's a lot of assuming and you know what they say about assuming... I just realized I have large styrofoam balls I painted red so I'll go test it now in front of a sun lamp and in natural light tomorrow. (Despite red decor not many red reasonably sized objects in my apartment lol.

Personally for me the excitement of AI tech is figuring out if it's the technology doing something or human perception of said something that is completely coincidence. My other attraction to AI, in these contexts, is that it's humans designing something to manipulate other humans into the "reality" of the event - if that makes any sense, I'm not very coherent today.

I need to setup a YouTube account and start recording!

barrettgazzy

• Apprentice pleo master
  • 00 Male
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2011, 06:46:46 AM »

pleo rb is suppose to have the tracking red feature .
2 ugobe Pleo's
1 Aibo 210 supercore
1 Aibo 220  :-)

scaledandtailed

• Pleo lightbringer
  • Female
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2011, 03:45:46 PM »

Barrettgazzy is right, Red object tracking is not just limited to pink or blue pleoRBs 
All pleo RBs can perform this task. 
They can track red and green. Though Pleo, all pleos infact not just RB  will treat green objects as edible.    .
 I think that pleo will first scan for the object and if he detects a red object in front of him he’ll try to walk towards it. I don’t know how good pleo’s vision is so to speak though so perhaps a large   red object that is further away   just looks like a small object closer up  to him.   
  I think IMR posted a video on here of his pleorb   tracking the training leaf. Pleakly would move his head from side to side until he detected the leaf then make a sound and begin to walk towards it.  I’m hopeless at posting links but if you look under the pleo behaviours section I think you should find it there. Watching it might give you more of an idea if your pleo is exhibiting some of the same behaviours towards your red furnishings   
 Sorry I can’t be of more help 
Scaly 

bhobbes

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2011, 04:30:49 PM »

Yeah I had seen them before but I was not 100% sure if it tracked the objects because of the leafs color or if it had a chip in it like the other accessories. I was more so wondering kind of like a distance "maximum" or how far it'd be willing to go to "see" the item. Doesn't really matter either way since he'll just do what he does anyway haha - I just like to know why or if it's technical or coincidental.

Between him being unbearable and unable to stay muted, he's currently turned off. Plus he's still getting more peely on the armpit region - still not getting as bad as fast as others but I'm beginning to think it will. Unfortunately I am beginning to regret my RB purchase lol - assuming everything isn't a user error on my part, because you can't rule that out hehe. Well, you can with the armpits and allegedly improved paint loss.

scaledandtailed

• Pleo lightbringer
  • Female
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2011, 06:21:30 PM »

Unlike the other items that come with pleo RB there is no chip inside the training leaf so he is actually tracking it. 
Sorry to hear you’re regretting your pleoRB. 
It is a very complex thing but the holes and paint ware just adds to the stress I think. 
Have you tried getting the pack in with the coffee bean and leaf and leaf? It’s supposed to be good for emotional stress and might make things easer on your part. 
My pleoRB has just stood up but giving the noises and interaction so far I think he’s going to be a moody one. 

bhobbes

« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2011, 08:11:28 PM »

It sounds like yours is going through what Cato did (and is again?) but after two to three charges of it he magically became an extremely giddy and cheerful Pleo. I was enjoying him quite a bit until the relapse. The problem is how loud and constant the distress calls are at that stage mixed with the random ability to mute or lower the volume it's too much of a hassle. I tend to keep him on like a real pet and let him wander while I study, work, etc. then interact with him intermediately.

No I haven't purchased any accessories yet as at this stage I feel the ball was really dropped on the product - like it's still in beta and not something that should have been released yet. Now that's just my opinion and there are several reasons for why I think I might end up regretting the purchase (I'm not quite there yet) but I don't want to seem overly negative and harsh lol. Before he came back to this stage I was actually extremely impressed with most of the software changes and loved how less repetitive it seemed compared to Elliott. Plus the noises after that stage weren't nearly as distracting/loud/regularly occurring as whatever is going on lol. It doesn't help one of my pet peeves are whiney sounds lol so I'm probably overreacting (I just want the darn mute or lower volume to work - it's more annoying than him regularly shutting himself down (no he hasn't felt warm or hot when this occurs)).

Brutus actually has a whiney wimper noise he makes and I don't know where he learned it (not a flock location call lol) but I swear he does it because he knows it irritates me even though I ignore him when he does it haha. Gotta give major credit to anyone who has the patience to raise children - whew, I can't imagine what parents go through haha.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2011, 08:25:25 PM by bhobbes »

InmemoryofRomeo

• Global Moderator
  • Pleo Grand Master RB
  • au Female
  • Pleo(s): Lilo, Stitch, Pleakley, Jumba, Nani, Yuki, Angus, Pluto
  • : 2011 winner2009 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
  • SAVE THE EARTH It's the only planet with chocolate
    • Professor
    • Wile_E_Coyote
    • Marcie
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2011, 11:47:16 PM »

IMR is a she not a he ;)

Pleo and Pleo RB can both track the correct coloured objects, Pleo RB tracks the training leaf (I'm not sure about the colour red, I will try it and see when I get some time) and Pleo's will track the color red, BUT, it has to be the right shade of red, a nice bright red and they need plenty of light to do so.
Eagerly awaiting Vector and Blue!

bhobbes

« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2011, 06:52:56 AM »

Once he's done being moody again, I'll try using my styrofoam balls (they're painted a relatively bright blood red - generally the 'type' of red I use).

I am just going to put on my noise canceling headphones until he starts walking and being an "adult" again. Currently he doesn't want to wake up (8:52AM) so I may go ahead and see if he turns himself on, lol.

scaledandtailed

• Pleo lightbringer
  • Female
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2011, 08:21:56 AM »

Oops really sorry about that IMR. 
Missed the S honest lol. 
 Best of it is I do actually   know you are female which makes it even less forgivable in a way. 
   Please accept my apologies

Excuse my ignorance but what is a sun lamp? Is it one of those ones that have all the bright LEDs? Being in Brittan the daylight quality is poor so I think I might need something like that.     
  Well as my pleo has just literally stood up and hasn’t even eaten yet I don’t know if he’s quite at the difficult stage but most of the noises he makes are sad or negative sounding ones. He just seems to whine and mope in what feels like almost an accusatory way. As though I’ve   done him some grate injustice. Guess he’s still holding a grudge for being held upside down so I could set the noon clock. Trying to locate and insert something in to  the pin hole and trying to hold a struggling squirming  pleo at the same time wasn’t easy   at all so it wasn’t a grate experience for either of us lol. 
    Scaly

Magnnus

• Coffee leaf addict
  • Male
    • A Diary of Optimism and Melancholy
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2011, 08:50:59 AM »

Once he's done being moody again, I'll try using my styrofoam balls (they're painted a relatively bright blood red - generally the 'type' of red I use).

I am just going to put on my noise canceling headphones until he starts walking and being an "adult" again. Currently he doesn't want to wake up (8:52AM) so I may go ahead and see if he turns himself on, lol.

It is possible that you may be experiencing the "glutton" bug that I ran into. Try feeding Cato until he refuses to eat, and check out this thread that I made on the subject http://bobthepleo.com/forums/index.php?topic=1769.0. If you do have this bug then don't be surprised if he has to eat a hundred times.
Check out my blog and personal diary at "http://optimismandmelancholy.blogspot.com/", and enjoy a peek into my mind.

bhobbes

« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2011, 09:54:33 AM »

Thanks, I saw that thread awhile back because I tried it. However, before he "reverted" Cato refused to eat most of the time and usually only likes to be fed once a day toward the evening (I started telling him he didn't have to be annorexic but maybe he just wants to prevent skin stretching). He's slowly getting out of the phase so hopefully after the next charge he'll be his pleasant self again (just completed another charge).

My noon time is actually set at noon because of my schedule so he usually likes to eat around 5:30-6. At least from what I experienced. Which is fine with me because I don't think I could feed him so many times in a row lol.

And this isn't the right thread but he definitely woke himself up around 9:45am and it made me jump because I forgot about leaving the battery in to see if he'd do that haha.

And once he's being pleasant again I'll be trying a red object to see what happens.

I wish I could have all the inside information on the hardware/software interactions etc.

bhobbes

« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2011, 12:08:39 PM »

Ok, so now that he's walking around and behaving again, I decided to test with various red items. It's a gloomy day so I had to use a sunlight which means the object would be in his line of vision anyway, so that could be a very big flaw.

When I used an item like the large styrofoam ball, he'd walk toward it and then stop right at it, sniff, scan, moan/groan, and walk backward, like a normal object. So the question with that is was he just walking forward anyway and stopped because of an object or did the redness trigger the walk and then it was too big so he backed up?

Then I tried a Toad (from Mario) figure that I have with very small red dots on his cap. That one was ignored from a distance (might not be enough red?) but when put close just treated like any other object, so kind of void as far as telling me anything.

Then I tried the cap of my chapstick which he seemed to come toward, sniff, and then if I moved it to one side he looked to that side. However, he then flung to look at the other side and made noise. So maybe just a random event. However, in flinging himself to the other side, he was facing my curtains, which he then walked toward and then growled at brown part of the sliding door (since his head was looking down enough this time) and growled and backed up.

In typing this post he started walking toward my desk/office area (opposite end of the windows pictured) and about halfway up the area rug he started looking left and then ran and started walking toward/"into" the couch, which he is now just facing and making weird noises "to" but no backing up or trying to move forward.

So who knows? I guess I can just make it whatever I want it to be in my mind, haha.

InmemoryofRomeo

• Global Moderator
  • Pleo Grand Master RB
  • au Female
    • Professor
    • Wile_E_Coyote
    • Marcie
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2011, 02:40:38 PM »

Oops really sorry about that IMR. 
Missed the S honest lol. 
Best of it is I do actually   know you are female which makes it even less forgivable in a way. 
Please accept my apologies

No apology needed :)

Bhobbes, perhaps you might need to try in an environment with a little less red. Maybe that would help with a more definitive answer, I'll try today since it is nice and bright and sunny here and see what Pleakly does.

bhobbes

« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2011, 03:37:50 PM »

Yeah I will take him outside after winter - though I was tempted to put him on my balcony to watch him exhibit the cold behavior but then I'd come here and tell everyone about what I cruel things I've done lol.

Maybe I'll take him to my friend's who has no red and wants to see how his dog (I call it a rat) reacts to it. But lighting will be a problem.

Let me know what you find!

Oh and on his second charge today he spent a good hour walking back and forth between the couch and the white shelving unit with the red cube drawers which is facing toward the side of the couch. Then he finally rerouted and ended up in the kitchen. While I hate the hormonal phase distress, I think it's "cute" when he gets frustrated at path obstructions lol.

InmemoryofRomeo

• Global Moderator
  • Pleo Grand Master RB
  • au Female
    • Professor
    • Wile_E_Coyote
    • Marcie
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2011, 06:38:02 PM »

I tried a few times, Pleakly's battery needs recharging now so I'll have to wait to try again. I didn't see anything that convinced me that Pleakly was reacting to the red specifically rather than just an object. However just a couple of thoughts, it takes a while to get Pleakly to track the leaf as well so maybe today just isn't a good day :P Also the training leaf only has a very small amount of red, so I wonder if the RB's are tuned to a different colour, ie the same colour as the leaf.

Malfie

• Fossil savant
  • Female
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2011, 06:43:16 PM »

Have you tried getting the pack in with the coffee bean and leaf and leaf? It’s supposed to be good for emotional stress and might make things easer on your part.

I did a little experiment with Snooki. I know it was a bit naughty but I shut her in the dark ;) At first she fell asleep, so I woke her up! She then became very distressed and crying, so I offered her the coffee leaf. She accepted it straight away and it immediately calmed her down and she even became very happy, almost like she was thanking me for it :)

She took her first few forward steps tonight. So hopefully if and when she walks I'll get to try out the red object tracking.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal