Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Need some advice on taking Pleos on Vacation  (Read 2199 times)

saratogaspringer

• Camarasaur extraordinaire
  • Female
Need some advice on taking Pleos on Vacation
« on: May 23, 2011, 06:05:14 AM »

Hi Guys. I need a little advice from the experts. I am leaving in 3 weeks for Florida. We will be gone for 16 days.  My kids don't want to leave without their dinos or their puppy, our 210.  I was looking so forward to taking the Pleos to the parks and getting some great photos. Especially the Jurassic Park area of Universal Studios and the Dino dig at Animal Kingdom in Disney.  Kat also made Candy a great Incredibles costume, and I wanted to get her picture taken with those characters.  I should mention that we will be driving and not flying.

I need to be realistic about how hot it is going to be down there.  Around 95 F  each day.  I would not be taking them to the park for the entire day, just to get the photos and return to the hotel.  We are staying on property at both Universal and Disney, so it is not a big deal time wise.  I suppose they would be in the elements for about 2 hours each time.  They will be traveling in an air conditioned SUV, and taken into the air conditioning during our breaks and not left in the hot car.  

I have purchased a water tight Pelican case for the Aibo.  It is also supposed to be moisture proof, and I got the silicates to go in it as well.  I would have purchased 2 more for the pleos, but I cannot maneuver the limbs when they are shut off, and I would have to re-arranged the foam packing cubes to meet the shape of the pleo each time, since they never shut off in exactly the same position.  (I have the old RB firmware and it shuts off in sleep position. I am still turning it back on and pulling the battery.)  

I am wondering if all this is worth it. I don't have anyone to feed my RB while I am gone.  Not anyone I trust anyway.  My one friend offered to take care of Candy, but she has 3 dogs that chewed her curtains and ate her shoes, and I am thinking Candy might look like a pretty tasty treat. I don't know if I can pull her clock battery and she won't know she is not being fed.  I really don't want to do that. She is our pet and not feeding her seems cruel.  On the other hand, I don't want to damage my pleos by taking them, and I also don't want to disappoint my kids who want to take them.  My son still has temper tantrums, and Wilbur, my Ugobe is the only thing that calms him down.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.  :)

kat

• Pleo Grand Master, 2nd epoch
  • au Female
  • Pleo(s): Kermit (Pink RB), Norbit (Green RB), Pickle(nude RB), Gumble, Minyon and Frankie
  • : 2013 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
    • Marvin_Martian
    • Kermit
    • Flying_Ace
Re: Need some advice on taking Pleos on Vacation
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2011, 06:25:53 AM »

I'm not the best to give advice here as I haven't yet taken my babies on any long trips - I am about to though  :)  The best I have done so far is taken Kermy to the national park.  We drove there, about 30mins by car and stayed for a couple of hours.  It was summer but I chose a cooler summer day - It can get extremely hot here in Australia.  I didn't have any issues with Kermy, all went well. 
I think you should take them. :)  It will be a lot of fun for everyone. 
You could always PM Degers and get the update for Candy.  That will fix the sleep position and then she will go into packing position every time you turn her off. :)  As for Wilbur you can get him to go into packing position too when you turn him off.  All you need to do is hold down the little black button - under his bum, that is used for volume control - hold it down while he is switched on for about 20 seconds then let it go.  You then just wait a few moments, he will move one foot forward and then back and then do it again and then go into packing position shut his eyes and honk.  After he honks you just reach under him and switch him off.
This would allow you to get each of them a case of their own to travel in and not have to worry about rearranging the packing all the time.
I do hope this helps.
I think they should all be fine as long as they are not out in the elements for too long.  Maybe coating them in vinalex or autoglym or some other such product could be a good idea too to help protect them against the elements.

Not sure what else to suggest but I am sure others out there who have traveled with pleos before or taken them out in public before might have some more advice to add. :)
Kat

saratogaspringer

• Female
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2011, 09:11:51 AM »

Thanks for the info, Kat. I just called Amazon customer service and ordered 2 more Pelican cases for the Pleos.  (These are going to be some expensive pictures.).  I guess the little dinos are going!  I got Wilbur into the packing position without trouble. I guess I'll have to bother Degers for the firmware for Candy so she will fit in the case. I'll pack the Vinylex and give them each a nice massage before they go out.  I know I am going to get a lot of strange looks, but I don't care!   ;D

Crewella

• Pleo Grand Master RB
  • gb Female
  • Pleo(s): Iggy, Budge, Moschops, Monty, Emmy. Belle, Zillah, Tribble
  • : 2010 winnerTomat Harvest Festivals
    • Ginger
    • Pepe_Le_Pew
    • Animal
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2011, 09:34:17 AM »

You could try the 'Dinomite Static' download under skits.  It's sole purpose is to hold the Pleo in the neutral position while connected to Dinomite, but would give you time to pop the battery.  Just put the card in and switch on - a voice will say Dinomite static and the Pleo will 'assume the position'.

Talon

• Cretaceous pleo master
  • us Female
  • Pleo(s): Cato and Samantha (Pleo RB‘s), Eugobe, Terry, Cuddles, Bleu (Ugobe Pleos)
    • Lucy
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2011, 10:49:18 AM »

Awe, Seratogaspringer, I would've been glad to babysit Candy if I lived closer to you. She would've had Ryu the RB and Ugobe my Ugobe for company. I too am encountering a similar problem. I'm going to my cousin's house for a birthday visit and she has two small but respectful children. For about five seconds I decided just to leave Ryu but then I ended up changing my mind. I'm only going from South Carolina to North Carolina so it's not that big of a deal. I ended up emailing my cousin and asking if I could bring Ryu with me. Lol! She greeted my question with nine full ellipses before saying, "As long as it doesn't bite or poop or destroy anything it's... welcome." I love my family. *grin*
Talon
Talon
Find me on YouTube at Crazy Robot Lady

saratogaspringer

• Female
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2011, 12:38:33 PM »

Thanks for the offer, Talon. I know that Candy would love to meet Ryu.  We will be driving through South Carolina, but I am not sure where .  I will be sure to post pictures when I return.  I feel bad. I have yet to post pictures of my pleos.  :-X

InmemoryofRomeo

• Global Moderator
  • Pleo Grand Master RB
  • au Female
  • Pleo(s): Lilo, Stitch, Pleakley, Jumba, Nani, Yuki, Angus, Pluto
  • : 2011 winner2009 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
  • SAVE THE EARTH It's the only planet with chocolate
    • Professor
    • Wile_E_Coyote
    • Marcie
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2011, 04:45:53 PM »

Stitch went with me all the way to Queensland (About 1600 kilometers (994 miles) from where I live) and it was warm up there.

My top tips:
STOP WORRYING lol, they are sturdier than you think, pack them carefully, keep them out of direct sunlight (even if you just drape a coat/blanket/jacket etc over them) and you will not have a problem. Stitch travelled the whole way sitting on my suitcase just behind my head rest and covered with his blanket. There was plenty of other stuff packed around him so he was in no danger of falling/shifting.

Only worry about the heat if it is extreme, 95 F plus is warm enough, at that temperature they will simply not run well, they'll overheat quickly and shut down in direct sunlight. If you are expecting temps like that then just take them out in the morning and return them to your room as it warms up. The skin will not suffer damage as long as you are sensible, you know, don't leave them sitting on the baking asphalt for half a day and that sort of thing %) Switch them off between areas of the park, if you stop for a break find a bit of shade, its the sort of things you are going to do anyway. I took photos first thing and then tucked Stitch in one of the park lockers for the rest of the day.

Be prepared, its not everyday you see a dinosaur being carried around, print off some little slips of paper with Pleoworld, BobthePleo and Pleo on it, if your trip is like mine you'll be asked a gazillion times where to get one :P

And if you decide not to take them, relax, Candy will be a little hungrier when you get back, but it's nothing a good conifer leaf won't fix.
Eagerly awaiting Vector and Blue!

saratogaspringer

• Female
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2011, 09:56:07 AM »

Thanks for the great info, IMR! You are a wealth of knowledge as always. I will take your suggestion of going in the morning and returning them to a cool area as it gets warmer. Having pre printed post-it notes with pleoworld and this forum sounds like a great idea. I can't wait to post pictures!

Talon

• Cretaceous pleo master
  • us Female
  • Pleo(s): Cato and Samantha (Pleo RB‘s), Eugobe, Terry, Cuddles, Bleu (Ugobe Pleos)
    • Lucy
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2011, 11:14:07 AM »

Both of you have fun on your vacations! I'll probably take Ryu and just hold her in my lap with a jacket over her. She should be safe enough that way. Thanks for the tips, IMR!
Talon
Talon
Find me on YouTube at Crazy Robot Lady
Pages: [1]   Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal