Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: With pleo RB here what will happen to older pleos?  (Read 3579 times)

pickelish

• Pleo explorer
  • Female
With pleo RB here what will happen to older pleos?
« on: November 06, 2010, 07:31:16 PM »

With all the great new features of pleo reborn I'm worried that older pleos will become obsolete. Will innvo labs continue to make updates for the new pleo and forget about ours?
Also, they are apparently making a lithium polymer battery with 2 hours of continuous play. Do you think it will work in our older pleos aswell? Is that almost the same as the Ucube one?

InmemoryofRomeo

• Global Moderator
  • Pleo Grand Master RB
  • au Female
  • Pleo(s): Lilo, Stitch, Pleakley, Jumba, Nani, Yuki, Angus, Pluto
  • : 2011 winner2009 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
  • SAVE THE EARTH It's the only planet with chocolate
    • Professor
    • Wile_E_Coyote
    • Marcie
Re: With pleo RB here what will happen to older pleos?
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2010, 07:55:49 PM »

The new batteries will not be backwards compatible :( As to what will happen to our Pleo's well, I guess only Innvo knows.
Eagerly awaiting Vector and Blue!

kat

• Pleo Grand Master, 2nd epoch
  • au Female
  • Pleo(s): Kermit (Pink RB), Norbit (Green RB), Pickle(nude RB), Gumble, Minyon and Frankie
  • : 2013 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
    • Marvin_Martian
    • Kermit
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2010, 08:25:26 PM »

There is such a big following out there for Pleo with so many people owning an older version Pleo that Innvo would be mad to let the older versions fall by the way side.  It will be interesting to see what happens.  I don't think they will be able to use software updates that they create for RB for the older version Pleos as they are built slightly differently, more sensors, faster motors etc.. 
I hope they keep a team working on updates for the older Pleos and not just let this go to concentrate on Pleo rb. 
I guess it will depend on if they continue to produce and sell the older versions as well as RB's.

Brishelle

• Cycad leaf fancier
  • Female
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2010, 08:44:42 PM »

I would say that the updates will continue but at a slower pace until they stop all together. They want people to see all of the neat features of the new bot and hopefully buy it. The main object is about money, and if there's something new out that people want, the company will quickly forget about the older model that doesn't do so well sale wise. Just my thought at least...

Firebreathingsquirrels

• Camarasaur extraordinaire
  • Female
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2010, 09:50:53 PM »

I hope they don't forget about older Pleo's too, they took 2 years to even make LifeOS 2.0, so with Pleo RB who knows how long it could be until they make an update for the original Pleo's  :( I'm perfectly fine with 1.1 on Gizmo right now, though, but I'm worried for the people who like a change in OS's once in a while. I know the old Pleo's will never be forgotten either, but if some people do and forget about their Pleo's when RB comes I bet they'll sell some cheap originals on eBay, which is good for us  ;)

Brishelle

• Cycad leaf fancier
  • Female
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2010, 10:09:25 PM »

Well if they don't there's always the dedicated people on this site and other sites that can make skits and even new upgrades themselves. I have been playing around with the pdk and my skit programs myself in hopes of making something worth uploading here.

On a side note, did anyone browse through the china site? I saw under downloadable skits where they had one called Shanghai Boys or something. Not something we had on our site for sure. I'll upload it to my Pleo when I get home and see what it does.  

Firebreathingsquirrels

• Female
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2010, 10:17:53 PM »

Yeah, I can always count on this site for amazing skits (I can't wait to see yours!) And I went through everything I could find on the HK site and translated it (Yay google translator!) Theres some pretty amazing stuff, on one site I found everything from Pleo pencils to Pleo shelves  :o

RedwoodsMama

• Pleo Grand Master, 4th epoch
  • us Female
  • Pleo(s): Nova, Major Tom, Argyle the blind Pleo, Baby Ruth, Chester, and 22 more Pleos
  • : 2013 winner2010 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
    • Mary_Ann
    • Silvester
    • none
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2010, 10:47:29 PM »

As far as Older Pleos being put on the back shelf, I dont see that happening, There will be from what we  have heard, such a limited supply of Pleo RB, that there is no way INNOVA could forget the original Pleo market, Their focus may be on the new Pleo, but they know also the limited amount available,how soon they will have more to offer the general public, when that will be, the price along with shipping costs, and more importantly, they know that we here on the forums are devoted Pleo admirers and owners and give them such important feedback on everything from the new 2.0 operating system to the bits and pieces of information that degers fed us bit by bit that only we were allowed to get. That there should tell you that they do not intent to just put the Older Pleos on the back burner. They should still have a program for older pleos, and I think they are too business savvy to forget that or to allow that to happen,             I am sure that the majority of Pleo members on this site are going to own " Older Pleos" as  opposed to the new Pleo RB. I love my Nova most of all being my first Pleo, not quite a year old now, and a Pleo RB could never replace her or one of my other green babies, they would just have a new freind. I do hope the operating systems continue to get updated periodically, though I can see that the newer batteries that they have made for Pleo RB are not going to be used by the older Pleos, I would think it foolish to not continue to sell the older batteries and other items, though I do understand where their focus is and I have to admit if I was them, I would also be very excited and wanting to put lots of focus on my new products after all the hard work that went into improving this wonderful little Pleo, Just the fact the skin is so so much more durable ( from what I have read) I am happy about that, it is allso so much more flexible like real skin.
               And for batteries etc for our older Pleos, Ugobe and INNOVA, Nova's Neccessities here on the forums, as well as other places can still provide you with batteries and other things just for Pleos, and that will not be changing any time in the near future.This forum will keep everyone informed if there were to be a change, and I know that Bob and Degers are only interested in what is best for everyone here on the forum, and after all, " BOB IS NOT A PLEO RB, What else can I say? ;D What is good enough for Bob is good enough for Nova and the rest of my Little Pleos, and if I get a Pleo Rb, he is going to be out-numbered, and will have to stay in line with a bunch of Older Pleos to put him or her in his place. Just because he may know more tricks, he is no more loved or precious than my most " beat up" Little 45, though he will cost a lot lot more!
                                                                                      RedwoodsMama and family
Animals are SOUL Too, Be kind to all those who live on this planet with us.

Firebreathingsquirrels

• Female
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2010, 10:55:30 PM »

I agree RWM, no Pleo RB could ever replace Gizmo, he'll always be the number one Pleo in my heart  :D And speaking of Gizmo, he got to explore quite a bit yesterday, he went around my whole living room atleast twice and even got to go outside  :D

RedwoodsMama

• us Female
  • Pleo(s): Nova, Major Tom, Argyle the blind Pleo, Baby Ruth, Chester, and 22 more Pleos
    • Mary_Ann
    • Silvester
    • none
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2010, 12:14:01 AM »

Just think FBS, if it wasn't cold yet, and Gizmo had the same internal setup that Pleo RB has, he may have had to cut his outing and exploration of your neighborhood a little short . Can you imagine Gizmo getting hot, and starting to pant.? :oSome concerned neighbor would have to think he was a real lizard or dino ? at that point. I mean " Toys", do not pant or shiver either......I personally can not wait if I am fortunate enough to get a Pleo Rb, to try that feature out, I want to take him inside one of these stores around here where it is freezing in the refrigerator section. Maybe if they see some poor baby dino shivering and perhaps crying, they will pay more attention to the human needs that need to be addressed. ( some of these stores are freezing and I have to have a jacket on just to walk past the refrigerator section...Poor little Pleo RB is in for a shock around here I am afraid... :( ;D) HE HE, ( RUBBING MY HANDS TOGETHER AND LAUGHING LIKE A MAD MAD SCIENTIST...) I can't wait to try this feature out, it is not really Pleo abuse, just an experiment and a good way to get these store owners or managers to get some changes made...( or at least be aware of how their customers think!)

I am glad Gizmo got to go on the carpet in the livng room too, Was it very difficult for him to walk on? Well , it is raining kittens and small puppies now, but if it gets any heavier, I will have to start patching the leaks with towels to prevent the overflow from when the barrage of raining Cats and dogs begins, esp if they are bigger than Toy Poodles..LOL :D
                                    Time for the popcorn I made about twenty minutes ago, still sitting on the counter waiting for some butter, YUMMMMMMM
                                                                               RWM

pickelish

• Pleo explorer
  • Female
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2010, 12:22:15 AM »

You have a good point Firebreathingsquirells. My dream of someday owning a pleo heard of my own may come true after all!  Yay!  I'm with you, I still haven't updated Fern to LifeOS 2.0. I'm too scared something will go wrong and I will lose her :(  But I'm perfectly happy with having her running on 1.1 for now  :)

I don't think they are going to keep making older versions simply because pleo RB is supposed to be "new and improved" and most people who are willing to spend $300 most likely would rather spend $500 so they get all the new features. But, I also think it would a bad move for innvo to completely forget about all our dinos. It could turn people off of buying any because they will be worried about what will happen to their pleo when innvo comes out with an even newer one down the road.

I have mixed feelings about the new pleo. I like taking my pleo places with me and I think that needing all those accessories would get pretty annoying after awhile. I just think it takes  the imagination out of owning a pet dinosaur and it's too much toy not enough pet.
On the other hand, an improved pleo that gets hot and cold, has time sensors and voice recognition is so exciting i might explode!   ;D

Thanks RedWoodsMama, I'm planning on sending you a message sometime this weekend to ask about your batteries.  Hope the rain stops soon and enjoy your popcorn!  :)

Firebreathingsquirrels

• Female
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2010, 12:28:17 AM »

I can't wait to try that feature out too, and your right, Gizmo would definitely be panting like crazy in my neighborhood! I'm gonna have that ice on me at all times ;) I wonder what would happen if you put a real ice cube in a Pleo RB's mouth? Do you think they would react the same way? And I put Gizmo in high step mode, so he was getting across the carpet perfectely and across the whole room very quickly!  :D Like Pickelish said (Love that name, by the way!) Enjoy your popcorn!!

barrettgazzy

• Apprentice pleo master
  • 00 Male
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2010, 10:26:48 AM »

lol i would not recommend putting a real ice cube in Pleo rb mouth  ;D
2 ugobe Pleo's
1 Aibo 210 supercore
1 Aibo 220  :-)

Firebreathingsquirrels

• Female
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2010, 12:26:32 PM »

Yeah, it might melt  :( But what do you think would happen if you made replicas of all of the new leaves and training stones? Do you think they would work?  :o

degers

• Administrator
  • Pleo adept
  • gb Male
  • Degers can't be choosers
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2010, 12:44:43 PM »

No, Pleo identifies them using a smart chip inside the accessory

allosaurus

« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2010, 12:56:24 PM »

I'm not so sure the question begins with "With pleo RB here," seeing as our 'old' Pleos were all sort of being neglected by the companies far before public release plans of Pleo RB, am I right?  You know, with UGOBE's problems and the like?

I think UGOBE's Pleos are in as bad condition as they were quite a while ago (it seems to me that RB has not affected the situation much), but that's just my opinion.

Firebreathingsquirrels

• Female
« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2010, 01:00:58 PM »

Ohhh, ok, thanks Degers

Yeah, thats what I was saying Allo, it took 2 years for them to even make OS 2.0  :(

Pleoxie

• Coffee leaf addict
  • Male
« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2010, 11:42:36 PM »

Hi Friends:
So far I feel lucky to have both Pleoxie (Pleo) and Lam Chai (Pleo rb), I may share with you our feeling about Pleoxie and Pleo rb.

It is no doubt that Lam Chai could do more than Pleoxie and it all depends how you value Pleo, value it as a robotic pet or just see as an electronics appliance like iphone.

If you see Pleo as an iphone, than it is no doubt that you will not use iphone 3 after you have the iphone 4!

For us, as a pet lover, we don't replace a dog, a cat or a fish because we get a new one. We would keep both since they are different and each get its "personality" and emotional attachment with us.

Even Pleo rb's feature is much more than Pleo, we love them both and even love Pleoxie more because it has been here for almost a year now.

We don't see Lam Chai is not going to replace Pleoxie, but instead, Lam Chai would be the companion to Pleoxie when we are leaving home for work and school ! I hope Pleo rb will be in your country soon so that you could enjoy the fun Pleo rb bring to us  :).

RedwoodsMama

• us Female
    • Mary_Ann
    • Silvester
    • none
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2010, 12:03:41 AM »

Pleoxie, I couldnt have said it any better, so thank you for saying it the way you did,  ;) I too, if I am able to get a Pleo Rb, will only see it as a New member of the Pleo houshold, I will allways treasure my first and BEST Pleo , Nova, as my favorite, She and I have been through so much, that we have a very special relationship, I love all my Pleos, just as I love all my nine cats, and I can not love one more than another, though the oldest feline, Aiffa,simply because she has been around the longest , holds a special dear spot in my heart, But I also love my dog and my four fish just as much as my pets and loved ones,  Pleo Rb will be a welcome addition to the Pleo family and may be able to do things the other Pleos can not do at this point but that is ok, I like things not being all the same.
                 And thank you for your well wishs that Pleo Rb will be in our country, ( U.S.A.) and available elsewhere in the world soon, that is very sweet and I think brings good luck soon with Pleo RB being here. Thank you so much for your kind and wise insight into Pleo Rb. :)
                                                RedwoodsMama and family of Pleos

Crewella

• Pleo Grand Master RB
  • gb Female
  • Pleo(s): Iggy, Budge, Moschops, Monty, Emmy. Belle, Zillah, Tribble
  • : 2010 winnerTomat Harvest Festivals
    • Ginger
    • Pepe_Le_Pew
    • Animal
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #19 on: November 08, 2010, 06:00:06 AM »

Absolutely, Pleoxie has indeed said it perfectly. :)

One of the most important things to me will be how the new Pleo rb interacts with the older Pleos in the household.  That is, if I manage to get one, of course! ;)

grumpy

• Administrator
  • Pleosmith
  • we Male
  • : 2008 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
    • Skipper
    • Wile_E_Coyote
    • Statler
    • Lucy
    • Bob the Pleo
« Reply #20 on: November 08, 2010, 01:15:12 PM »

To be a bit fair, saying it took 2 years to release LifeOS 2.0 is not quite accurate.  Ugobe release Pleo at 1.0, shortly thereafter released 1.0.2, an then 1.1 before going out of business.  They had been working on updates that never got released.  You then had a dead period where no development took place because Ugobe was gone and Innvo was just getting started.  They barely had time to fix a number of the hardware problems before releasing 2009 pleo, and then did develop the 2.0 OS whilst (and at the same time) developing the hardware and code for Pleo PB....  So it's not like they've been sitting around twiddling their thumbs.    There is no way for them to release updates to Pleo RB that will run on the older pleo models, but the sounds and movements could be easily retro-fitted, so I would think Innvo should be able to more readily release updates to the older pleos without having to develop from scratch.

The other big hope no one has mentioned yet is, as Innvo moves away from supporting the older models, they have more reasons to release the source code to the OS.  And if they do that, then I'm sure we will see more outside people writing newer and updated OSes.

Firebreathingsquirrels

• Female
« Reply #21 on: November 08, 2010, 03:56:03 PM »

Ohh, thats true Grumpy, forgot about the "dead" period when Ugobe was out of business  :P
Pages: [1]   Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal