Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Has anyone ever tried to repaint a pleo?  (Read 4994 times)

kat

• Pleo Grand Master, 2nd epoch
  • au Female
  • Pleo(s): Kermit (Pink RB), Norbit (Green RB), Pickle(nude RB), Gumble, Minyon and Frankie
  • : 2013 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
    • Marvin_Martian
    • Kermit
    • Flying_Ace
Has anyone ever tried to repaint a pleo?
« on: October 22, 2010, 11:22:32 PM »

I was wondering if anyone has tried to repaint a pleo?  Maybe after the paint has worn off from lots of loving or perhaps just to make pleo a different color.  I'm sure there are some fantastic artisits out there who could do amazing things to a pleo if they had the right paint that wouldn't damage the skin.  Was just curious.
 :)

RedwoodsMama

• Pleo Grand Master, 4th epoch
  • us Female
  • Pleo(s): Nova, Major Tom, Argyle the blind Pleo, Baby Ruth, Chester, and 22 more Pleos
  • : 2013 winner2010 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
    • Mary_Ann
    • Silvester
    • none
    • Flying_Ace
Re: Has anyone ever tried to repaint a pleo?
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2010, 12:33:33 AM »

I think there are lots of people out there who have thought or even tryed it, and there are two things that come to mind: if you have a new Pleo and it is still under warranty, of course you would not want to attempt this as it would void the waranty. Secondly, you would have to do some research to see what paints would not interfere or hurt the material it is made of, as you would not it to speed up the flaking, tearing, etc. There are probably some people who have attempted this but we just don't know about it,  ;)
      If you just want to hide or camaflauge wear and tear there is one product on the market that I have heard about and used on Nova for here " petting" areas, it is called, Liquid Chalk and goes by many different brand names. It comes in many different colors and it safe as it is just temporary and will eventually fade with too much petting, but is a safe product to use, and if you were to paint your Pleo Blue for example, and found out you did not like it, you can just wipe it off with a slightly damp ( and I do mean, slightly, not dripping, just barely damp) rag or soft very soft cloth, even toilet paper would work) and after gentle cleaning, it does come off, I have allso used it to paint Nova's toenails and give her eye area more color.
        The tubes come in individual pens, and only cost about $3.00 or less each. I am sure there are other products out there, but I use this because I know it will not hurt her skin, If you are more adventuresome and brave, I would suggest using a broken or very cheap Pleo to expeirment with, even one that does not work, till you get the color right and know that it is safe for Pleos skin, beleive me, I have thought of doing this many times, but have become very attached to all six of my pleos so only use the one product that I know is safe, and this is one of the main  things that attracted me to Pleo RB, the fact that is is SUPPOSED to have different colors than currently, and I am hoping for more blue/tan/red/brown, etc  more lizard type variations found in nature, though green is fine if some other colors are added .                         RedwoodsMama and family of six pleos and " counting",
Animals are SOUL Too, Be kind to all those who live on this planet with us.

prydonian

• Following the footsteps
  • Male
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2010, 10:04:48 PM »

Hi Everyone ,
   My Pleo occasionally shows wear spots that I touch up sucessfully with water based Acrylic paint . The paint is readily available at any hobby shop and contains no solvents that would harm the rubber skin of Pleo . The brand I use is made by a Spanish firm and is sold here under the name of Vallejo . With over two hundred colours to choose from I was able to match all of the colours used on Pleo perfectly . Any time I made a goof in my painting , I was able to easily wipe the mistake away with a slightly damp cloth . Once the paint dries tho , it is quite permanent . It also flexs very well when applied to places where Pleo's skin wrinkles as he moves . The Japanese manufacturer Tamiya also makes an acrylic paint designed to flex after it is applied but their colour selection is nowhere near that of Vallejo's . While I have no intentions of ever totally repainting my Pleo , I do believe that it could be done sucessfully with an airbrush and much care in masking off of sensitive areas.Of course if your Pleo is still under warranty , you might get a dim view from the manufacturuer if you send back a hot pink baby dino with a technical problem for service. So I would only consider a repaint long after the warranty period has expired . I think the acrylic paints are a much better and more durable alternative to the often suggested chalks . Thanks for reading and I hope this helps you .

kat

• au Female
  • Pleo(s): Kermit (Pink RB), Norbit (Green RB), Pickle(nude RB), Gumble, Minyon and Frankie
    • Marvin_Martian
    • Kermit
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2010, 03:22:52 AM »

Thanks for your responses, it's great to know that something can be done to sort out the general wear and tear love spots on a pleos skin. :)  As for a full re paint I was just curious to know if anyone had tried it and how that went.  I'm guessing that Innvo will release many different color options for pleo eventually so we all should be able to get a color scheme that suits us one day.  I'm sure there will be a few people considering the option of re painting for the new rb's though what with the interesting color schemes we have seen on offer so far.  It seems most of us are after a realistic look for our pleos and I don't really think hot pink, bright blue and fluorescent yellow give off that realistic feel.   ^-^ 
Something to think about for a future time when warranties are no longer an issue. ;)

kat

• au Female
    • Marvin_Martian
    • Kermit
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2010, 03:19:11 AM »

The photos that RWM posted of "brown Pleo"  look very interesting.  I think you did a great job!  I think if you had added the green in on top it would have looked awesome  ;D
So it seems a new paint job is definitely possible.  You just have to be brave enough to give it a try.  I think waiting until the warranty has expired is a good idea too.
Thanks for the post RWM.  I would love to see any more experimental paint jobs that you try.   :)  What paint did you use on the brown pleo?

Jules

• Fossil hunter
  • Female
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2010, 07:22:01 AM »

prydonian  could you give us the number codes of the paints you used so that others can find them easily thank :)

RedwoodsMama

• us Female
  • Pleo(s): Nova, Major Tom, Argyle the blind Pleo, Baby Ruth, Chester, and 22 more Pleos
    • Mary_Ann
    • Silvester
    • none
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2010, 01:31:59 PM »

I will post more paint jobs in the future when I get it just right, my husband kept being " too many cooks in the kitchen" when I get the paint on Pleo perfected then I will let you know the kind I did use, It is permanant but if you remove it fairly quickly within the time you put it on, it can be removed but is time consuming . I had to remove it by hand using no paint thinners etc. It is also a paint you can find in most art stores or places such as Michaels and other craft stores.
        I would love to retouch Nova and my other " loved " spot Pleos when I get more time, and they do have those spots as most pleos do at some point,
          Of course I would only do a older Pleo and never one under warranty. :o I look forward to doing a touchup or full Pleo again when I  have more time,
                         RWM and family of Pleos

allosaurus

« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2010, 01:40:27 PM »

We need the type of paint, not just a description.

Are you referring to acrylic paint?

RedwoodsMama

• us Female
    • Mary_Ann
    • Silvester
    • none
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2010, 03:14:48 PM »

Yes, they are Water Based Acrylic Paints, lots of different brands and colors available depending on where you live. ;D
                   RedwoodsMama and family of Pleos

allosaurus

« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2010, 10:41:38 AM »

Ah, that's convenient, I'm a bit of an acrylic painter.

*goes to check paint supply*

kat

• au Female
    • Marvin_Martian
    • Kermit
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2010, 03:15:34 PM »

Looks like my curiosity may have sparked a frenzy of Pleo painting! :) 
Look forward to seeing the results. 8)

RedwoodsMama

• us Female
    • Mary_Ann
    • Silvester
    • none
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2010, 03:44:26 PM »

just be very careful with acrylic paints, esp if you decide you do not like the results and have to remove the paint, it is very very painstaking work to remove every little particle, after all it is permanat and to be able to remove it the best without damaging Pleo's skin, should be removed within 36 hrs of applying paint, and you can not use paint removers, just damp cloth and patience. Also it does and can leave Pleos skin less glossy and dryer afterwards. I used Olive Oil after removing paint, after all, she is from Weedovia and has a bit of Italy in her! :D
             Just remember, I used a older Pleo, and even though she is my most beloved Pleo, I was very careful and would never risk hurting her. So you must decide if it is worth the risk I first started months ago, with a very very small area, such as under the tummy , the toes, around the eyes and to touch up " love spots", Be careful if doing a " full body Lift", Bricked or Old Pleos are worth the risk, you can experiment and not take the risk of ruining or  damgaing a Pleo friend you love and cherish very much, and never ever would I attempt one under warranty. I will do several again, but not in immdiate future mayby around Xmas. I do have a advantage as my husband is an artist, and stained glass artist and knows about Paints and has an excellent eye for technique and knowledge of how to do things except Pleos are new to him,  :) Like I said, I did not go further, as NOva was too close to him, and he became the second cook and too many cooks alter the recipe so next time I will do it on my own without his being the teacher in the Painting class . I now know what a long drawn out project this is.  ;) So have fun, be curious but do not use My Pleo as " The Example of what to do, ",Remember, she was just in the very early stages of what would have been three -five more painting sessions, You would not recognize the finished NOva when done by what you saw. I just wanted to document my first attempt, I have a video but will not use it till it is done, Good luck with anyone wanting to experiment,

Glass chalk is still very good for touchups and there is no risk at all.

RWM and Pleo family

allosaurus

« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2010, 04:03:52 PM »

I am well aware of the horrid amount of time and effort it takes to remove acrylics once dried.

I have it all over my wall.

And I used half a 'sprayer' of Windex.

And the paint is still almost all there.

:P

danko.ba.nanko

• Conifer Leaf gatherer
  • Male
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2011, 05:36:24 PM »

Hello,

maybe a little old but I found this charts of Vallejo model paint which you said it could be used on Pleo. I do not think it would be difficult to determine which colors could best mach your Pleo. I am no artist, but I think with some base colors matched with your selection you can always mach the desired shade you require for your Pleo, to repair/improve. Trying first on smaller area o see how it looks, even thoug paint always change color slightly when wet and when dry.
http://www.vallejo.nl/gb/assets/s2dmain.html?http://www.vallejo.nl/gb/vallejo/modelcolorchart/index.html.

Since our Mrvica is still new (but already has few "spots" on the underside of the leg joints rubbing the back ect.) This got me thinking about preparing for future. Even tho they do not come cheap for me, these colors seem to help a bit in regard to looks of our little friends.

Maybe in a year or so I should try and repaint his green to some other color explaining the mature side of the Pleo (older and wiser)  8)

BR
D

MariaOcean

• Fossil savant
  • hk Female
  • Pleo(s): Furby
  • : Tomato Harvest Festivals
  • pleo will kick his butt!!!!
    • none
    • none
    • none
    • none
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2011, 07:00:30 PM »

I painted Furby with poster paint to make him look more boyish
works very good
What came first?
The Chicken or the egg?
Pages: [1]   Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal