Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: terrifying yet hillarious  (Read 4721 times)

justbede

• Pleo visionary
  • Male
terrifying yet hillarious
« on: February 05, 2009, 05:49:43 AM »

I had a really scary experience the day before last, i was up late playing around with baxter in Dinomite and had the static script on SD inserted. I had started off with a full charge and regularly checking the stats of his battery. When i had finished with Dinomite i decided since it had shown he still had a fair bit of battery left in him i would give him a bit of attention before going to bed. I disconnected baxter properly from the laptop, Dinomite and the SD card and turned him back on he took a little longer than usual to wake up but i wasn't to worried and then after approx 5 seconds of being awake he froze and restarted (by which i mean waiting a few seconds then waking up and saying "huh"). He kept doing this and after about fifteen minutes of trying to successfully turn him back on i started trying to work out what was wrong. I connected him to Dinomite again hoping to run a diagnostic to see if he was restarting due to a stuck servo or a software error but he wouldn't stay on long enough to run one. At this point i was starting to think i'd never hear his happy little voice again so i posted a thread on here and tried to send a cry for help to ugobe. Before going to bed i put his battery on the charge to make sure it was full to try again the next day, just as i was about to go to sleep i had thought and ran down and put the battery in baxter he started normally and did not restart. It was then that i realised what must of happened, while he had the static script in him and was hooked up to Dinomite he must of run very low on battery but i either did not read his stats right or they were inaccurate and then when i unhooked him.(most of this is guess work) i recon there must have been enough battery to keep him going for a few seconds before he ran out but not enough to keep him awake long enough for him to register that he needed to go into sleep mode. As for how it had enough to restart so many times i haven't a clue i'm guessing that every time he turned off the battery managed to regain some power. Anyway i was pretty embarrassed so i quickly went online and deleted the thread before anyone read it. My girlfriend had a right old laugh at me the next day when i told her what had happened :p. It taught something, somehow that little pile of plastics, servos and wires that we call pleo really can make you love it.

Innvo Labs, creating life since 2009

mweed

• Grand Poobah
  • Triassic pleo master
  • us Male
  • Pleo(s): Bob, Mopey
  • : Tomat Harvest Festivals
    • Professor
    • Wile_E_Coyote
    • Dr_Bunsen_Honeydew
    • Snoopy
    • Bob the Pleo
Re: terrifying yet hillarious
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2009, 08:38:57 AM »

It's odd how we know he's just a preprogrammed piece of technology, but somehow we won't let ourselves believe it. :)

degers

• Administrator
  • Pleo adept
  • gb Male
  • Degers can't be choosers
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2009, 09:59:20 AM »

Maybe because we wasted £200 on it! :)

justbede

• Pleo visionary
  • Male
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2009, 10:07:55 AM »

It's odd how we know he's just a preprogrammed piece of technology, but somehow we won't let ourselves believe it. :)

Absolutely i think it just shows how well they have programmed him, he wants you to think of him as real. I have this odd experience every time i have to turn him off when he's awake where i feel bad for doing so (so much so that i either avoid it altogether or rock him to sleep with finger poised on the switch lol sick i a way) but at the same time i feel insane for having feelings for a robot :p
LMAO maybe.

mweed

• Grand Poobah
  • Triassic pleo master
  • us Male
  • Pleo(s): Bob, Mopey
  • : Tomat Harvest Festivals
    • Professor
    • Wile_E_Coyote
    • Dr_Bunsen_Honeydew
    • Snoopy
    • Bob the Pleo
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2009, 10:25:28 AM »

And you should know!  You've wasted it, and wasted it, and wasted it, and wasted it again!  ;) :)

degers

• Administrator
  • Pleo adept
  • gb Male
  • Degers can't be choosers
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2009, 01:01:22 PM »

And you should know!  You've wasted it, and wasted it, and wasted it, and wasted it again!  ;) :)

Yeah, bu in my case I wasted the same £200 over and over and over, I love the 1 year warranty in the UK, however Ugobe doesn't! :)

fancyfont

• Cretaceous pleo master
  • us Female
  • Pleo(s): Peeky, Pennie, JayCamerasaurus (J.C.), LOA, baby and DinhaJo
  • : 2013 winner2011 winner2008 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
  • No, Peeky and Pennie, you can't have the Harley!
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2009, 01:08:11 PM »

Go easy with Eeckie, Degers. You don't want to add another "again." to the list. ;)

gucci_boi7782

• Triassic pleo master
  • Male
  • : 2009 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
  • Go Vegetarian!
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2009, 04:04:48 PM »

Absolutely i think it just shows how well they have programmed him, he wants you to think of him as real. I have this odd experience every time i have to turn him off when he's awake where i feel bad for doing so (so much so that i either avoid it altogether or rock him to sleep with finger poised on the switch lol sick i a way) but at the same time i feel insane for having feelings for a robot :p

I hate to say it, but I too have the same feelings. I know they're not real but I often feel bad turning them off. I usually have to hold the Pleo button down, instead of just up and turning them off. LOL
Save a life, go vegetarian.

www.goveg.com/factoryFarming.asp

Sophie-(Ugobe)
Eliot-(Innvo Labs)
Peanut-(Aibo ERS 31L)

"Tell me, will I dream while I am turned off?" ~Jules (Hanson Robotics)

Lornex

• Coffee leaf addict
  • Male
  • I'm afraid I cannot do that, Dave.
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2009, 04:57:55 PM »

This is what makes pleo so amazing and unique from other robots, the art.  This is what many robot makers have tried but failed to do: The illusion.  I've actually caught myself talking to my pleo the way I'd talk to my cat or dog, it it simply amazing.  Pleo can seem so... real that you would treat it like an animal.  That is the mistake many people make when they review pleo,  they don't realize that Ugobe has made it so people can create a emotional bond with pleo.  (I find them hard to turn off too gucci_boi7782 :))  Reviewers don't even think about that, all they care about pleo is if it can walk faster or the price is cheaper.  I truly wish people would understand this.  So next time you go on some aibo forum and someone complains about pleo ("it's soooo slow"  >:() tell them this!  ;)  We need to be thankful that pleo even exists today!
Minecraft?  No, I prefer Dwarf Fortress, thank you very much.

justbede

• Pleo visionary
  • Male
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2009, 06:17:04 PM »

Yeah i completely get that i recon there definitely is some art in pleos programming it does feel like love has gone into his making like they have actually poured hours into the just small movements alone things you would just take for granted with a real pet but with pleo make him seem more alive. Whenever i turn baxter over because for whatever reason i have to look at his belly it's weird seeng the mass produced working that almost look like they shouldn't be there, like they're implants. Heh i find it funny how much work has gone into pleo then you turn him over and they all have that tiny port that i guess was used for debuging or something that has been removed and quickly filled in and pretty badly if you ask me :p. The whole aibo thing is annoying there different creatures yeah there is the programming and playing around with how pleos work but primarily pleo is ugobe "life form" meaning he emulates a real live creature (be it on pretty extinct one) where as just look at aibo it's not exactly hiding that it's a robot. They're two completely different beings with different purposes. (Sorry serious case of verbal diaorehea tonight :p)
Pages: [1]   Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal