Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Friends trying to put me off buying a Pleo...  (Read 2948 times)

Big Head

• Outstanding in the herd
  • Male
  • Still Looking For the "Fork of Horripilation".
Friends trying to put me off buying a Pleo...
« on: September 04, 2010, 02:44:01 PM »

I've been telling my friends about Pleo's, and they think it's a total waste of money. They ask questions like "Can you tell it to do stuff?", Can it pick things up?", "Can it climb stairs?". Not only are they calling him/her "it", but if i say 'No' to any of their questions, they say "Then what's so great about 'it'?

It's quite upsetting.  :(

"Sweetheart, you can't buy the necessities of life with cookies."

degers

• Administrator
  • Pleo adept
  • gb Male
  • Degers can't be choosers
Re: Friends trying to put me off buying a Pleo...
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2010, 02:53:06 PM »

Then don't talk to your friends about Pleo?

Big Head

• Male
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2010, 03:05:33 PM »

Yeah. I guess i'll need to talk bout him more on here then. I'm really talkative! ;D

RedwoodsMama

• Pleo Grand Master, 4th epoch
  • us Female
  • Pleo(s): Nova, Major Tom, Argyle the blind Pleo, Baby Ruth, Chester, and 22 more Pleos
  • : 2013 winner2010 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
    • Mary_Ann
    • Silvester
    • none
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2010, 03:33:15 PM »

Hey, I think your friends are not much of what you could call, " friends', if they are being so judgemental, Who decided what something should be capable of to bring someone pleasure? I remember having, something that could not or would not pick up something,it would not climb stairs, and I would be Dammed if " it' would do something I would ask it to do, But I gave this " it', unconditional love as I loved it very much in spite of " it's ' shortcoming's, It was priceless and I could have paid a zillion dollars for it if I had it, This it I talk about was no Pleo, no robot, no toy,            ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
      I am talking about my son and daughter when younger, a Pleo listened and does more than they did when they were stubborn, and they have ' intelligence." ;DTHe important thing is that a Pleo brings you joy,. Apparently there are a lot of us out here who enjoy pleos, just look at this site and the posts that are here, Show that to your friends and if that doesn't work, tell them to shut up or ignore them,( I would do both) ;D I say to each his own, some people spend tons of money on gadgets, guns, music systems, and all sorts of toys, and how about the people who spend a couple hundred dollars or more on designer jeans, that are faded, torn and looking like something pulled out of the garbage can or thrift store reject pile? Heck, I have jeans from the 1970's that are better looking than those things..but people will spend hard earned money on what they consider the " new fashion", so at least Pleo can do more than a pair of ratty torn faded holy jeans!                Just laugh it off, we are your friends and supporters here at the forums.
                                         RedwoodsMama and Team Nova
Animals are SOUL Too, Be kind to all those who live on this planet with us.

91/23Class

• Sugar cane harvester
  • Male
  • Well Hi there!
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2010, 05:48:56 AM »

don't worry, when you have a Pleo you won't need friends ;D (at least not ones that aren't baby robot dinosaurs!!)
Ploo is a cute name.
The owner needs to fix him.
Ploo is second hand.

Cool, huh?

Big Head

• Male
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2010, 10:57:59 AM »

Hey, I think your friends are not much of what you could call, " friends', if they are being so judgemental

Hey, redswoodsmama, don't get me wrong. My friends are really cool people. I think other friend was just going along with what my other friend said to fit in. That guys dominant like that.  ;)

fancyfont

• Cretaceous pleo master
  • us Female
  • Pleo(s): Peeky, Pennie, JayCamerasaurus (J.C.), LOA, baby and DinhaJo
  • : 2013 winner2011 winner2008 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
  • No, Peeky and Pennie, you can't have the Harley!
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2010, 12:12:31 PM »

Big Head, There's no explaining a pleo other then for people to actually see it in action. You can tell them Pleo sings even dances and catch colds, but unless they see this, I can't imagine anyone really knowing how cute these dinos are.  :)

Bumblebee

• Store Owners
  • Pleo adept
  • Female
  • : Tomato Harvest Festivals
  • The manatee shall bump forever!
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2010, 08:55:10 PM »

Jerks.
That's why I never talk about Pleo to hardly any of my friends. Most people think things have to be big, flashy and extravagant to be 'interesting', because most people are just screwed up like that. XD There are only a few people left in the world that see the good in quiet things. People that own pleos are of this group. ;) Hope you get a pleo soon!
Please note: It takes 36 muscles to frown, but it only takes 4 muscles to slap El Stupido upside the head.

Crewella

• Pleo Grand Master RB
  • gb Female
  • Pleo(s): Iggy, Budge, Moschops, Monty, Emmy. Belle, Zillah, Tribble
  • : 2010 winnerTomat Harvest Festivals
    • Ginger
    • Pepe_Le_Pew
    • Animal
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2010, 10:11:07 AM »

My OH was a bit like that when I first found out about Pleos, but when Iggy finally arrived he did see what I was on about, thankfully!

There are a fair few things out there that you can buy that you can 'get to do stuff', and one or two remote controlled toys might climb stairs or pick things up, but they won't wander about on their own and make their own decisions, or get sick, or respond to your voice or your touch.  AND if you really want your Pleo to 'do stuff', then you can learn about Myskit and see how you can get it to do what you want.  It's a bit subtle, and it takes some work and imagination, but the possibilities are endless!

I see quite a few Pleos for sale that say 'only used for about an hour' and I always think it's such a shame - I feel like somebody missed the point and missed out on something they might have loved if only they'd given it a chance or understood it properly.  It probably says more about them than it does about Pleo!

Pleoxie

• Coffee leaf addict
  • Male
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2010, 10:45:36 PM »

Hi Friends:
To me, Pleo is a companion pet which would interact with you but not necessary do what you wish, just like other living pets. That why I am excited to learn about what the new Pleo would do from my friend !

As a Pleo lover,we don't have need to concern how the others think about Pleo. The most important matter is how you feel and appreciate its interaction with it!

Other than Pleo, I do have a marine water aquarium which I keep fish and Octopus.
I would believe people could interact a fish other than feeding it until I found by accident that my red fish I kept did like massage and it was willing to lay flat to allow me to massage its belly with a chopstick. (I will try to locate a photo and may post it later.)

You might think I am joking but I wouldn't surprise since it was the usual response when I told others about the fish and Pleoxie.

What I find out is those who would love and appreciate Pleo are those pet lovers with kind heart and good patience.     

Crewella

• Pleo Grand Master RB
  • gb Female
    • Ginger
    • Pepe_Le_Pew
    • Animal
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2010, 05:46:41 AM »

I love that image of your fish flipping over to have its tummy tickled!  I believe you - I used to have a Burmese Python that loved having her chin rubbed, just like Pleos do!

It really shouldn't matter if your friends 'get' Pleo, Big Head - some will, and some won't.  You can do other stuff with the ones that don't, the main thing is what YOU feel about it. :)

Pleoxie

• Coffee leaf addict
  • Male
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2010, 09:46:41 PM »

Here is the image, hope you like it.

Crewella

• Pleo Grand Master RB
  • gb Female
    • Ginger
    • Pepe_Le_Pew
    • Animal
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2010, 08:10:53 AM »

Love it - thank you!  Beautiful fish, what kind is it? :)

gucci_boi7782

• Triassic pleo master
  • Male
  • : 2009 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
  • Go Vegetarian!
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2010, 06:31:48 PM »

look, if you like pleo, you like pleo. if other people don't, they don't. who cares? really? what does it matter?

Perhaps, if I were in your shoes, which TBQH, I have been, before, I simply state the facts. It seems to me, that people's perceptions of robots vary extremely. The robot concept is very, very broad. I suppose to be general people expect robots to generally perform certain functions. I would explain to your friends how pleo can perform numerous tasks. Pleo has edge detection, touch sensors, is autonomous, was modeled after a real dino, knows when it is stationary or being held by the tail. Pleo has the inherent desire to explore and eat, and simply 'live' it's little robot life, all the while tackling real-life events such as colds which last forever, hunger, sleepiness, exploration, happiness, and even abuse. Pleo invites it's owner to have a look into it's life simply while the owner sits on the couch. Not even to mention the technology behind Pleo, such as it's LifeOS, PDK, DogsBody, MySkit, YAPT....and more..??

Pleo is the first ever true attempt to create a lifeform. Pleo-is-a-pet-robot. Pleo may not be the brightest, but nor is any other pet for that matter. Take Pleo with a grain of salt, and give "IT" a little more credit....
Save a life, go vegetarian.

www.goveg.com/factoryFarming.asp

Sophie-(Ugobe)
Eliot-(Innvo Labs)
Peanut-(Aibo ERS 31L)

"Tell me, will I dream while I am turned off?" ~Jules (Hanson Robotics)

Crewella

• Pleo Grand Master RB
  • gb Female
    • Ginger
    • Pepe_Le_Pew
    • Animal
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2010, 02:47:38 AM »

You put that beautifully, Gucci - couldn't agree more! :)

gucci_boi7782

• Triassic pleo master
  • Male
  • : 2009 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
  • Go Vegetarian!
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2010, 06:04:26 AM »

You put that beautifully, Gucci - couldn't agree more! :)

Why thank you!! But I thought Crewella DeVille was supposed to be a meany! :P
Save a life, go vegetarian.

www.goveg.com/factoryFarming.asp

Sophie-(Ugobe)
Eliot-(Innvo Labs)
Peanut-(Aibo ERS 31L)

"Tell me, will I dream while I am turned off?" ~Jules (Hanson Robotics)

Crewella

• Pleo Grand Master RB
  • gb Female
    • Ginger
    • Pepe_Le_Pew
    • Animal
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2010, 07:36:49 AM »

I do try, but (frankly dahling) it's too much like hard work! ;) :P

You're welcome! :D
Pages: [1]   Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal