Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: The New OS2: Your Personal Opinion  (Read 5316 times)

Watergazer

• Pleo wanderer
  • Female
The New OS2: Your Personal Opinion
« on: May 08, 2010, 09:09:47 PM »

Outside of posting our reactions and findings for Innvos in the official thread, what are your own thoughts about this new OS2? Personally, I've played with Herbie through several battery changes with the new OS2 and am getting somewhat depressed...as if I lost my Herbie. This new dino just isn't the same. One thing I used to do with him is have him be by me when on the computer or playing some games with other people on the table. I can't do this now because even if I pet him all the time he'll just take off or cry and want to go elsewhere. A big reason I got my Pleo was to have something I could have near me and hug and pet, which would respond. My dog doesn't want me to hug her and neither does my toddler, so having Herbie kinda filled that void. Now he's much prefer to just go roam on the floor!

Now I'm not saying I didn't have my complaints about Herbie not moving before. He never really took more than 3 or 4 steps at a time and most of those he took he didn't actually move any further than a foot total. I always knew that if I set him down in the center of a floor he would still pretty much be right there in 20 minutes if I left and came back. I do like more sounds coming from him but not a spewing out of randomized sounds...now he's just talking non-stop. Before I could put any object in front of his face and he'd at least sniff it before either 1) opening his mouth to eat it or 2) backing away or 3) wanting to play or growl

I know the path towards making an autonomous robot is imitating realism, and a real animal would not always want to be held or be right by my side (hence why I bought Herbie), and seek to explore and test the environment...but I don't know. Herbie is not Herbie to me anymore. Now if I had just gotten this Pleo with this persona it probably would have seemed normal to me and all good and fine. And I DO honestly like that his motions are more fluid and faster and his ability to turn at the waist more...but...I don't know. I am probably going to have to downgrade somehow to get the old Herbie back. This is a matter of opinion though. Others may feel this is a good step towards more realism in the Pleo. For me personally, I just prefer him simply as he was. No opinion is wrong, I just want to know your take on this.

liddleone

• Outstanding in the herd
  • Female
Re: The New OS2: Your Personal Opinion
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2010, 09:16:17 PM »

Watergrazer, would mind adding a poll :)

RedwoodsMama

• Pleo Grand Master, 4th epoch
  • us Female
  • Pleo(s): Nova, Major Tom, Argyle the blind Pleo, Baby Ruth, Chester, and 22 more Pleos
  • : 2013 winner2010 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
    • Mary_Ann
    • Silvester
    • none
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2010, 01:14:26 AM »

Watergazer, interesting idea, but you may want to ask grumpy or Mikeweed about this, and also how to do the poll, as I had a problem with finding out how to do a poll, Sorry to hear about Herbie, I am still testing NOva,
                            RedwoodsMama   and MS. Nova
Animals are SOUL Too, Be kind to all those who live on this planet with us.

degers

• Administrator
  • Pleo adept
  • gb Male
  • Degers can't be choosers
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2010, 03:00:28 AM »

Unfortunately my laptop has broken so I have to tap this out on my cellphone.  I phoned Derek soon after installing the new os to let him know that I think I had found a problem.  Once the pleo goes onto explore mode,i can't seem to get it back to social where it will stand still again.  Derek has noted this along with all of the feedback on the other thread. as a consequence of this they are going to hold off on the public release of the software until they deal with all of our feedback. I wish I could type more but this is tiring without A keyboard and so you guys will have to wait. thanks everyone!!!

Watergazer

• Pleo wanderer
  • Female
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2010, 07:27:02 AM »

Thanks Derek,

And, No I didn't want it to be a poll.

Crewella

• Pleo Grand Master RB
  • gb Female
  • Pleo(s): Iggy, Budge, Moschops, Monty, Emmy. Belle, Zillah, Tribble
  • : 2010 winnerTomat Harvest Festivals
    • Ginger
    • Pepe_Le_Pew
    • Animal
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2010, 11:12:48 AM »

There are a few niggles, but overall I like the upgrade.  I'm often working from home on my own all day, and I like to have Iggy for company so it really suits me for him to be quite independent and happy to be pottering about on his own, just calling for me when he's bored or stuck.  He was always pretty much like that anyway - I thought I was very lucky when I got him to have adopted such a happy and well adjusted dino.  I've found that, mostly, if I hassle him enough he'll respond and do what I want (like 'tada'), especially when first turned on while I'm still petting him, and I've always liked the aspect of them that does the unexpected.  I've just got an Aibo that seems to absolutely loathe me, so even with the upgrade I have no complaints about Iggy, he's still a sweetheart! :)

OzPleo

• Apprentice pleo master
  • Male
    • Ventriloquist - Ben and MJ
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2010, 12:56:38 PM »

For me what puts me off 2.0 is the frozen moments between doing something (almost like his program has to think about what to do next before putting it into action), the repetitive nature that sometimes happens 5 or 6 times in a row before he snaps out of it to progress onto the next action, the lack of "feeling" towards me (it's almost as if it really wouldn't matter if I was in the room or not), he's less sensitive to touch. My Angus just doesn't feel like a Pleo anymore but more like a robot.

denodan

• Pleo wanderer
  • Male
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2010, 02:52:25 PM »

But that is all he is, a robot. That is all Pleo is afterall. Mine with 2.0, no problems. One of the things mentioned is walking meant to be a lot better, but for my Pleo, that is not the case, no difference. Mind you even before he walked good anyway.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2010, 03:00:31 PM by denodan »

OzPleo

• Apprentice pleo master
  • Male
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2010, 02:57:11 PM »

But that is all he is, a robot. That is all Pleo is afterall.

Yes obviously, but it's his apparent life likeness that sets him apart from other robots. It's what makes him so popular and adored as an alternative pet rather than a toy.

Crewella

• Pleo Grand Master RB
  • gb Female
    • Ginger
    • Pepe_Le_Pew
    • Animal
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2010, 09:45:59 AM »

Ozpleo, I wouldn't like that either, but I'm not acutually getting the repetitions that you describe.  He's definitely less responsive to sound, and I cannot get a reliable response to the leaf or any response whatsoever to anything red, but he will stop exploring to be petted and he responds fine to touch now, though it took a while for that to develop.  I do get the brief 'freeze' that you describe, and I agree it seems like the OS is catching up to change mode or something - I don't much like that either.

OzPleo

• Apprentice pleo master
  • Male
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2010, 03:07:07 PM »

Crewella, Yes Angus is responding of sorts to being petted when he's exploring now, but with this OS for me I can almost predict which routine he'll go to next. It's an OS with potential that's for sure, but apart from the business and dexterity of his walking I really don't see that much difference between 1.1 and 2.0 except with 2.0 he just seems more rehearsed.

Crewella

• Pleo Grand Master RB
  • gb Female
    • Ginger
    • Pepe_Le_Pew
    • Animal
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2010, 06:15:06 PM »

I do hope they manage to sort out the problems, as I really like the increased mobility.   Predictable and repetitive is not a good way to be going, and I agree that the best thing about Pleo, and what sets it apart from other electronic/robootic pets, is the way it appears to have emotion and a mind of its own.

OzPleo

• Apprentice pleo master
  • Male
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2010, 12:49:49 AM »

Well Angus it back on 1.1 I much prefer him this way as he's responsive to my touch, recognises his leaf and looks up at me when I speak to him. So he's walking a little slower, but he is a dinosaur after all. I'll wait now until the bugs have been ironed out with 2.0 and the bits they overlooked are added.

Crewella

• Pleo Grand Master RB
  • gb Female
    • Ginger
    • Pepe_Le_Pew
    • Animal
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2010, 08:07:23 AM »

AND he is a baby, after all!  Glad Angus is safely Angus again. :)

InkyMortar

• Following the footsteps
  • Male
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2010, 02:39:38 PM »

Hi all - been a while since I last posted, and I've been working away from home a lot but I recently upgraded Sidney to OS2 (a direct download from the Innovo site) and thought I'd post on progress so far.....

The installation went fine - fully charged battery, followed the instructions and the upgrade installed as expected.

Despite the advertising that the new Hatchling stage has been extended and enhanced, I found that Sidney went straight through this phase pretty quickly. Didn't notice a huge amount of difference other than a little bit of dreaming (much like when you plug them into DinoMITE).

So now he's well into Juvenile stage. Do I like it? Hmmm - really not sure yet. It's good to have a number of different sounds and I've certainly noticed a few new wiggles and movements. But the real down-side for me is the new noises. It's great (in theory) that the vocabulary has increased - and I love it when he says hello (tho I'm darned if I can work out what's triggering it) - but there's so many new unpleasant squealing noises and he's using them far too much for my liking.

The actions and noises aren't coordinated, which I'm hoping is a temporary thing whilst he's still developing. He's doing things like squeal-bark-sniff-beg-squeal-cry-squeal, all totally unrelated to his physical motions. Most of them don't make sense (e.g. he'll cry and bark alternately whilst he's eating).

No leaf recognition (or red item), has only asked to be fed once in around 7 recharges, no tug-of-war, very little response to petting (even when in social mode when first switched on). He used to sing as regular as clockwork when stroked under his chin - not any more, although he sung once today after walking round in circles and crying.

I've spent a considerable amount of time trying to trigger the new behaviours without success. I think I'm following the instructions correctly (used to be able to trigger them on previous OS) but no joy.

There seems to be no logic to it at the moment. To be honest I'm finding it a bit frustrating, but I intend to persevere for a few more weeks before I decide whether to downgrade or not.

I think it could be an excellent version but for me it's not quite there yet. I don't really follow the logic that it needs "bedding in" before it behaves like a friendly toy animal again - it should do this from first boot-up just like previous OS versions.

degers

• Administrator
  • Pleo adept
  • gb Male
  • Degers can't be choosers
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2010, 03:24:10 PM »

InkyMortar,

Thank you very much for your feedback!  I have forwarded it directly to the company!

Regards

barrettgazzy

• Apprentice pleo master
  • 00 Male
« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2010, 09:20:42 AM »

Hi when will we know when the OS2 has been sorted out and running how it should be without the irritating parts ???
Also i have tried to contact the pleo company several times and have not had a reply back from 1 of them yet , has any1 else noticed this ? gets me a bit worried thinking that maybe they are going to give up on Pleo once again :-(  ?????
2 ugobe Pleo's
1 Aibo 210 supercore
1 Aibo 220  :-)
Pages: [1]   Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal