Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Rebuilt hi-capacity battery  (Read 2998 times)

Crewella

• Pleo Grand Master RB
  • gb Female
  • Pleo(s): Iggy, Budge, Moschops, Monty, Emmy. Belle, Zillah, Tribble
  • : 2010 winnerTomat Harvest Festivals
    • Ginger
    • Pepe_Le_Pew
    • Animal
    • Flying_Ace
Rebuilt hi-capacity battery
« on: July 24, 2010, 03:34:57 PM »

I noticed this Pleo for sale on Ebay comes with a hi-capacity battery that the seller had rebuilt at a local battery store.   I just thought it was interesting - I've read the threads about repacking batteries, but don't remember hearing that they could be made to last so much longer (listing just says several hours)?   I wondered if that might cause any problems to the Pleo?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/PLEO-Robotic-Interactive-Dinosaur-UGOBE-w-Hi-Cap-Batt-/200500200756?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2eaebe4534

RedwoodsMama

• Pleo Grand Master, 4th epoch
  • us Female
  • Pleo(s): Nova, Major Tom, Argyle the blind Pleo, Baby Ruth, Chester, and 22 more Pleos
  • : 2013 winner2010 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
    • Mary_Ann
    • Silvester
    • none
    • Flying_Ace
Re: Rebuilt hi-capacity battery
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2010, 05:24:28 PM »

I checked this out and this sounds great! Has anyone ever tryed doing this before? I would presume the person they took it to does this sort of thing all the time, I would be interested to know just how long does this one battery run now? If this was not too cost prohibitive I certainly would try it, but if it were only a battery that ran for 4 hrs and lasted no longer than the original battery life, ( who knows how long....anyone?) but cost more than say, $30.00 just for a couple of more hours but only lasted a year, then I may not consider doing it, I would really like to know how long this battery lasts. I think I may contact this person and see what they say, I would also presume the battery runs in the same adapter, the one other question I would think is this, If this Pleo can run for say, 4 hrs on one charge, I would think before the time is up, Pleo's skin will begin to get warm and I may have to turn him off to let the battery or Pleo cool off, I do not know if Pleo is designed for anything that long inside of him or if it could be dangerous in the long term to his computer system, Just like some laptops and Modems get hot and shut off as a saftey device or warning system, I am sure though that somone will buy this, Thank you for posting an interesting item and idea of a longer lasting battery, and just the idea that perhaps somone familiar with batteries could technically do this. ;)
                              RedwoodsMama   and MS. Nova   and Friend
Animals are SOUL Too, Be kind to all those who live on this planet with us.

PoetiC_OdditY

• Hatchling
  • Male
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2010, 02:00:41 AM »

I guess they could have cobbled something together out of Lithium Ion cells maybe?

InmemoryofRomeo

• Global Moderator
  • Pleo Grand Master RB
  • au Female
  • Pleo(s): Lilo, Stitch, Pleakley, Jumba, Nani, Yuki, Angus, Pluto
  • : 2011 winner2009 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
  • SAVE THE EARTH It's the only planet with chocolate
    • Professor
    • Wile_E_Coyote
    • Marcie
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2010, 07:25:37 PM »

I suspect that that is what they may have done, it says a couple of hours not four hours so I am guessing it will be something like the Li-Poly batteries.

(Now if only someone comes up with a Pleo cell where you can just pop in your own batteries, then I could use my Varta batteries which take fifteen minutes to charge :D Imagine having your Pleo fully charged in 45 minutes! (6 batts at 15 minutes a pair))
Eagerly awaiting Vector and Blue!

RedwoodsMama

• Pleo Grand Master, 4th epoch
  • us Female
  • Pleo(s): Nova, Major Tom, Argyle the blind Pleo, Baby Ruth, Chester, and 22 more Pleos
  • : 2013 winner2010 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
    • Mary_Ann
    • Silvester
    • none
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2010, 01:47:04 AM »

IMR, hi, what pray tell are Varta batteries? Is this something you can only get in Aussie land? I have never heard of them before, but then again, I am so out of touch with many many things that I do not know anything about.Thanks,
                                             RedwoodsMama   and Nova   and friend
Animals are SOUL Too, Be kind to all those who live on this planet with us.

InmemoryofRomeo

• Global Moderator
  • Pleo Grand Master RB
  • au Female
  • Pleo(s): Lilo, Stitch, Pleakley, Jumba, Nani, Yuki, Angus, Pluto
  • : 2011 winner2009 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
  • SAVE THE EARTH It's the only planet with chocolate
    • Professor
    • Wile_E_Coyote
    • Marcie
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2010, 05:20:05 PM »

Varta batteries are rechargeable NiMH batteries with a special charger that lets them go from completely flat to completely charged in just fifteen minutes. They are the worlds fastest rechargeables and are fantastic in cameras. I like them because I can charge them at the truck stops on long road trips so quickly unlike normal ones which can take 16 hours :O The only catch is that because they charge so rapidly they get very hot, you have to be a little careful taking them out of the charger and you need to let them cool before using them.
Eagerly awaiting Vector and Blue!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal