Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: So here I am...  (Read 1967 times)

InmemoryofRomeo

• Global Moderator
  • Pleo Grand Master RB
  • au Female
  • Pleo(s): Lilo, Stitch, Pleakley, Jumba, Nani, Yuki, Angus, Pluto
  • : 2011 winner2009 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
  • SAVE THE EARTH It's the only planet with chocolate
    • Professor
    • Wile_E_Coyote
    • Marcie
So here I am...
« on: June 01, 2010, 05:21:04 PM »

Two weeks of practical in school experience (I am studying to be a primary (elementary) school teacher) has passed, all that's left for me is write up my final report. I had a simply wonderful time with the students and the teachers were such wonderful mentors, I know I have learnt heaps. On Monday, for my last day there, I was granted special permission to take in two little green bundles of joy for the students to meet :)

I must point out that the school is a Brethren school and technology is limited in their community, so they had never seen a 'real live robot' before and most of the younger students couldn't comprehend that they were not real. Sadly the same technological restrictions meant that I can't post pictures.

We started in the year 5/6 class where I had undertaken most of my training, the students were ecstatic when Lilo chewed her leaf and when Stitch backed away from the edge of the table. Here the children were most interested in watching the dinos react to touch and seeing if they could do all the things I said they could :) Being the end of the day we could only allow each class fifteen minutes with the dinos, but wow did they love it, it is something so new to them. I know a group of children who will be writing in their diaries that a dinosaur came to school. One young lad who has a form of autism took charge of Stitch, making sure noone hurt him or handled him roughly, whilst I kep an eye on Lilo :)

On to the 3/4 class Lilo and Stitch had a different reception, here the students were less concerned with what they could do and much more concerned with giving them lots of hugs, kisses and cuddles. To see a little girl with a dinosaur as big as her chest cradling it ever so gently like a baby with the biggest smile on her face is the reason I love Pleo's and the reason I want to be a teacher. Lilo and Stitch were carefully passed around so that everyone could have a hold :)

After my little treat for the students to say goodbye, they had one for me, a beautiful card made by them all and a photograph of them all. It is sitting above my computer, so that when my assignments or exams get me down, I can remember why I am doing this :)

Eagerly awaiting Vector and Blue!

fancyfont

• Cretaceous pleo master
  • us Female
  • Pleo(s): Peeky, Pennie, JayCamerasaurus (J.C.), LOA, baby and DinhaJo
  • : 2013 winner2011 winner2008 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
  • No, Peeky and Pennie, you can't have the Harley!
Re: So here I am...
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2010, 07:13:47 PM »

What a wonderful two weeks that had to have been, I know you waited so long to be able to do this. IMR! What lucky children to have you in their class room. These children will be talking about your dinos for a long time. I can just see them trying to explain to all of their friends  and family members what they saw.  Perhaps a budding Paleontologist my have gotten to hold Lilo and Stitch.  ;)

RedwoodsMama

• Pleo Grand Master, 4th epoch
  • us Female
  • Pleo(s): Nova, Major Tom, Argyle the blind Pleo, Baby Ruth, Chester, and 22 more Pleos
  • : 2013 winner2010 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
    • Mary_Ann
    • Silvester
    • none
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2010, 12:12:35 PM »

IMR, what a great story, and the children are going to be very lucky to have you as a teacher. It is easy to forget that some children have never been exposed to ideas such as " robots", when you live in a more modern society. I think there are very few occupations that are as rewarding as teaching, and esp working with young children. I am sure you will have so many more stories and moments you will share with us as the teaching year begins.
 It is nice to see children with Autism, and other afflictions and how they relate to animals, and of course a Pleo is pretty close to a pet, and of course non threatening, It is too bad you couldn't post the picture, but I like to picture it myself in my head, it is more fun that way, and you described it perfectly.
              I wish I was still able to teach, to be able to work, I taught preschool and afterschool, and children are so much more open to new ideas and children aren't' afraid to be themselves, to show their true emotions, esp when very young. I remember the time we were studying Ocean Life, and for a Science/Art/ Literature unit, I brought in some baby Octopuses. The children were ages 3-5.  After explaining all about their habits and talking about body parts, what they eat, etc, I passed around 4 of the little Octopuses to groups of 3-4 children each. They got to have hands on touching and examining these baby creatures. There were a couple of children that were reluctant at first to touch them, but I remember the reaction of one little girl of about 3 very vividly.
               She was a little blonde girl who carefully picked the baby Octopus out of the tub of water they were sitting in. She waited for the water to drip slowly off, then she cuddled this baby next to her chest as a baby , softly singing and rocking it. I never saw a child so gentle with an object before, it didn't matter that it was " not alive", it was still a baby to her.She really had a hard time letting go of that baby and I think she would have taken it home if she was given the chance. I know that evening when her mom came to pick her up, she wanted to show her mom the baby and she would have taken it home if I had given her the option.
What I would have given if there were Pleos when I was still teaching.(I was laid off because of my back in 2000) I would have taken Nova with me to class throughout the year to help me teach all sorts of different units, not just Dinosaurs.Lilo and Stitch are going to give lots of enrichment opportunities
for these children this coming year.You are going to have to share more of these great stories as they happen. Just think of all the special things that you can use Lilo and Stitch for this year?
          Good luck on your final report, I know you will do fantastic as with everything you do. ;)The school that gets you as part of their teaching staff, is in for some rewarding experiences, and I know the parents most of all, are going to be very pleased with their child's new teacher!
                    RedwoodsMama   and MS. Nova
Animals are SOUL Too, Be kind to all those who live on this planet with us.

Crewella

• Pleo Grand Master RB
  • gb Female
  • Pleo(s): Iggy, Budge, Moschops, Monty, Emmy. Belle, Zillah, Tribble
  • : 2010 winnerTomat Harvest Festivals
    • Ginger
    • Pepe_Le_Pew
    • Animal
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2010, 07:46:18 AM »

I'd like to second (or third, really) that!  Glad you had such a rewarding couple of weeks, and that Lilo and Stitch were there to help! :)

InmemoryofRomeo

• Global Moderator
  • Pleo Grand Master RB
  • au Female
    • Professor
    • Wile_E_Coyote
    • Marcie
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2010, 04:51:09 PM »

It was indeed a wonderful time, I've been back a couple of times since then to say hello :) Its always fun to surprise the kids :)

allosaurus

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2010, 01:07:48 PM »

It is now officially an established fact that children love Pleo. :P

InmemoryofRomeo

• Global Moderator
  • Pleo Grand Master RB
  • au Female
    • Professor
    • Wile_E_Coyote
    • Marcie
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2010, 03:15:38 PM »

Lol Allo :) Big kids too ;)

RedwoodsMama

• Pleo Grand Master, 4th epoch
  • us Female
  • Pleo(s): Nova, Major Tom, Argyle the blind Pleo, Baby Ruth, Chester, and 22 more Pleos
  • : 2013 winner2010 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
    • Mary_Ann
    • Silvester
    • none
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2010, 01:42:57 PM »

Has anyone ever done a Poll ( on this site perhaps?) to see what the age group that has Pleo, [ more children , 12 and under, 13-18, 19-29,30-and above?) just curious, also I am curious as to what is the distribution of Pleo owners on this site? How many in the U.S. and Europe, etc.? Has anyone ever gathered this type  of information on PleoWorld or the forums here?
                   I have allways thought there are perhaps more Pleo owners overseas then here in the U.S. and wondering if it is true and if so why, is it cost, merchandising or advertising, etc? Anyone else wonder about this? I agree IMR and Allo, about Older Children.( adults) loving Pleo too, this is why I brought this up.
                                 RedwoodsMama    and Madame Nova
Animals are SOUL Too, Be kind to all those who live on this planet with us.

fancyfont

• Cretaceous pleo master
  • us Female
  • Pleo(s): Peeky, Pennie, JayCamerasaurus (J.C.), LOA, baby and DinhaJo
  • : 2013 winner2011 winner2008 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
  • No, Peeky and Pennie, you can't have the Harley!
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2010, 01:40:55 PM »

I remember seeing a breakdown of where the most pleo owners are.  I do remember that the fewest were in the U.S.A.  I know there was a lack of advertising and marketing here.
I experienced one problem when I went to a store, the Sharper Image before they went bankrupt, and there on a shelf was a pleo sitting on a shelf ,on a piece of turf, with other robots. I had Peeky with me because I wanted to see how two pleos interacted. I asked if I could turn the pleo on display on, and was told it had no batteries. When I asked why no batteries,  the store clerk wasn't sure. Turns out that some pleos weren't made to be operational.   Peeky was the first one they had seen functioning. The sign above the pleo's head said $345 and I'm sure that had it been demonstrated to people it would have had a much better success.
I went back to that store a few months after I had been there, right before it was closing for good and they had a pleo up and running. This pleo looked like it had gotten quite a bit of attention. I think the store must have opened a pleo box after I left and displayed a working one. Just a tiny bit too late! I was sorry at the time I didn't buy that one. It was a great price.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal