Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Pleo holding his leg up - advice wanted  (Read 3507 times)

InkyMortar

• Following the footsteps
  • Male
Pleo holding his leg up - advice wanted
« on: February 09, 2010, 12:54:08 PM »

Hi - brand new joiner to the forum here. I've been reading through the forum posts since before Christmas when Sidney arrived, and it's been very useful. Thank you to you all for a wonderful place to find out more about how they interact.

I have a problem with Sidney. He's a Ugobe version, purchased as new (sealed packaging) from eBay. He came with Life OS 1.1 preinstalled. His life stages went well and he's been very interactive, but over the couple of weeks has started to lift his front right leg up and hold his head down (as if he's scratching his chin).

I've been through many battery recharges with him and have tried a combination of leaving him to see if he snaps out of it, coaxing him into explore mode and stroking him. He is still responsive and will explore/feed etc for a while, but then he returns back to holding his leg up.

I've checked that his foot and leg sensor work properly - he responds to being turned upside down and tickled just on the offending leg. He will explore if i touch both his front leg sensors, but it's always back to holding the leg up. I've tried personalities on him and he doesn't appear to have the problem in Pleosaurus Rex so I'm thinking the software might be screwed (he's also occasionally making scared noises when I show him the feeding leaf).

Getting rather frustrated, I emailed Pleoworld and have been exchanging emails with Raphael who has been helpful. However, his main response is to return Sidney for a refund and buy a 2009 model from them (with a discount offered). I'd rather establish first whether it's a software problem before taking the last resort of returning him for a refund.

Could any of you advise whether (a) you've seen the same symptoms and have successfully cleared it, and (b) whether downgrading LifeOS to a previous version and then re-upgrading it would reset him back to hatchling stage so I could confirm whether it's a software or hardware fault?

I'm having great fun with him but would really like to get this problem resolved if I can.

Thanks!

degers

• Administrator
  • Pleo adept
  • gb Male
  • Degers can't be choosers
Re: Pleo holding his leg up - advice wanted
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2010, 02:35:25 PM »

Do a search on the forums using the word "LEG", thats what I did.

This should help.
http://bobthepleo.com/forums/index.php?topic=1006.0
« Last Edit: February 09, 2010, 02:39:38 PM by degers »

Bumblebee

• Store Owners
  • Pleo adept
  • Female
  • : Tomato Harvest Festivals
  • The manatee shall bump forever!
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2010, 09:24:17 PM »

How often does Sidney do it? Every few minutes? Seconds?
As always, Degg's solution is the best.
Really though, you shouldn't have to exchange Sidney for a new Pleo. You're right in wanting to find out th source of the problem first.
Sorry I can't be of much help here, I've never experienced any techinical difficulties with my quad!  :D
Please note: It takes 36 muscles to frown, but it only takes 4 muscles to slap El Stupido upside the head.

InkyMortar

• Male
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2010, 12:18:54 PM »

Hi and thank you both for your replies. I had already looked at that post, and was a little dubious about connecting him up to the tools, although I'll have a go in the next few days.

I'm pretty sure it's software-related as his behaviour isn't consistent and the leg sensors are responding in certain modes (e.g. I can get him to explore and balance).

As for how often it happens - within a couple of minutes of switching him on, every time without fail. He sings and take a little fussing, then the leg comes up and pretty much stays up until I force him into explore. He'll explore for a bit and then back up with the leg.

<update>

Phew - I've just tried Dino-MITE for the first time and was relieved that I haven't done any damage! I read through how to connect and safely disconnect him first ;)

The results were inconclusive, I think mainly to me being new to using the software. The one thing I wanted to check was whether his front leg sensor was working properly. In the Sensor Module window, the button to watch the parameters in real-time was greyed out - I think this is what I need to use. Is there someone here who could advise if they think this is right, and if so what I'm doing wrong to get this button to work? I had a quick look through the CSV Creator and tried moving each of his joints manually and they all work correctly.

Many thanks!
« Last Edit: February 10, 2010, 12:57:38 PM by InkyMortar »

Bumblebee

• Store Owners
  • Pleo adept
  • Female
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2010, 09:39:12 PM »

You could try asking InmemoryofRomeo. She's a computer whiz :)
Please note: It takes 36 muscles to frown, but it only takes 4 muscles to slap El Stupido upside the head.

InkyMortar

• Male
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2010, 07:13:44 AM »

Hiya - an update (and thanks for the suggestion Bumblebee):

I spent some time last night with Degers who put a considerable amount of effort and time remotely taking a look at Sidney through Dino-Mite. It seems that there's an intermittent hardware fault on Sidney's front right leg sensor. Degers offered to temporarily disable the sensor to stop Sidney from constantly raising it, but as it seems the only way forwards now is to return him for a replacement I thought it probably wasn't worthwhile (much tho the offer was appreciated).

And so onto the next stage of my journey....I hope the forthcoming discussions I'll need to have with the ebay seller turn out ok (it was an online shop so at least I have some extra leverage). I'll keep you posted on progress.

Big thanks Degers for taking the time to help me out - it's very much appreciated!  ;)

Bumblebee

• Store Owners
  • Pleo adept
  • Female
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2010, 08:05:51 PM »

I hope it all works it out! Glad that it seems the dealer can make amends with you though. It really is sad when we have to send a Pleo back, especially if we've already bonded with it. I've never had any problems with mine, so I don't know how it feels!  :-[

InkyMortar

• Male
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2010, 01:17:17 PM »

Hi all;

An update on Sidney......it took a while and a few email exchanges with the seller but we've finally managed to return the original Sidney for a refund. In the meantime I ordered a replacement online which arrived yesterday.

I'm taking care with him and trying not to play with him too much until the slightly sticky feel of his paint settles down (I think I read correctly elsewhere on here that leaving the paint for a few days to cure after they come out of the box for the first time helps a little).

The slightly worrying thing about Sidney 2 is that he's been holding up his front leg (albeit the left one rather than the right one that Sidney 1 had the problems with). I'm going to monitor him over the next few days to see whether it's a temporary behaviour or a symptom of the same problem as last time round.....I really hope I don't have to resort to returning Sidney 2 as well!

The good news if that is the case is that I purchased online from a high-street retailer and it comes with a 12 month guarantee. So at least I'll have less hassle returning him if the worst happens.

If anyone based in the UK is interested, I have some further information I'd be happy to share about how the Sale of Goods Act applies for purchases. It was invaluable in helping to resolve the initial impasse we had with the seller. Once they were clear that I was fully aware of my rights in the situation, they obliged in agreeing to refund the purchase. I've not yet got the money back but he's been returned by courier (signed-for) so fingers crossed there shouldn't be any problem with the credit appearing.

Kudos the pleo

• Male
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2010, 07:18:57 PM »

my pleo kudos does the same thing but ive had him for a year what do i do  :'(
Kudos everyone ;P

Pintokitkat

• Sugar cane harvester
  • Male
  • There's always time for tea
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2010, 03:10:00 PM »

my pleo kudos does the same thing but ive had him for a year what do i do  :'(
Kudos, read my post today on the Pleo constantly doing one action thread.  I suspect the sensor wire has broken.  Ten minutes to peel back his skin (like rolling up his trousers) and you might find the green wire screwed to the sensor pad has broken.  Solder it back to the tag under the screw and that should fix it.

Pages: [1]   Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal