Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Future of the PDK  (Read 2527 times)

mweed

• Grand Poobah
  • Triassic pleo master
  • us Male
  • Pleo(s): Bob, Mopey
  • : Tomat Harvest Festivals
    • Professor
    • Wile_E_Coyote
    • Dr_Bunsen_Honeydew
    • Snoopy
    • Bob the Pleo
Future of the PDK
« on: January 12, 2010, 07:52:48 PM »

We have the opportunity to help direct the future of the PDK.

If you've had a chance to look at the existing PDK, please post here your thoughts and feelings of where you'd like to see the next version of the PDK headed.

Bumblebee

• Store Owners
  • Pleo adept
  • Female
  • : Tomato Harvest Festivals
  • The manatee shall bump forever!
Re: Future of the PDK
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2010, 09:32:18 PM »

What is PDK exactly?
I'm a dunce with these things. XD
Please note: It takes 36 muscles to frown, but it only takes 4 muscles to slap El Stupido upside the head.

mischamd

• Member of the herd
  • Male
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2010, 03:28:34 AM »

i think more examples with better description and the feature to see some code of the original pleo files would be nice.

@ bumblebee the pdk is the pleo development kit

PleoPet

• Pleontologist
  • Female
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2010, 09:05:16 AM »

> where you'd like to see the next version of the PDK headed.
My wishes are very simple and can be summarized in one sentence:

A future PDK should make it possible to change and enhance the default personality and share the enhanced personalities legally, for free, with your friends over the internet.

End request
Begin Rant:
This would make it possible for advanced users to enhance their Pleo's functionality, and allow casual users to play with the enhanced personalities (ie. get the benefits without having to learn how to program).
This is both technically impossible with the current PDK without significant reverse engineering, and explicitly prohibited by the current EULA licensing terms.
There are other possible things the PDK could do (like making it easier to write simple test programs), but IMHO they are all lame and a waste of the new company's efforts. Making the default personality customizable has been a top request for a long time (I've suggested several ways of doing this, some require very little work in the PDK proper). The bottleneck is not a technical one, but an intellectual property/licencing/direction issue. Does the new company want to give that power to their customers? (UGOBE vehemently did not trust their customers with that much power; IMHO a terrible decision; one that they took to their grave ;-( )
« Last Edit: January 13, 2010, 09:10:28 AM by PleoPet »

Getorix

• Following the footsteps
  • Male
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2010, 06:13:29 PM »

make it possible to change and enhance the default personality
Would be cool, but as I understand it is their proprietary code, know-how ideas and results of a long research. For them it sounds like "I don't like MS Word basic functionality. Why don't you (MS) give me a chance to change it?". Simple answer from MS/Innvo Labs/etc - write your own. And here is a huge problem in PDK. To many restriction.
For example. They have made leaf recognition by color in LifeOS1.1. Give me an API to this functionality and I will try to make Pleo recognize other simple objects. They have simple tracking - I wanna use it too. And so on and so forth...

share the enhanced personalities legally, for free, with your friends over the internet
200% agree!

InmemoryofRomeo

• Global Moderator
  • Pleo Grand Master RB
  • au Female
  • Pleo(s): Lilo, Stitch, Pleakley, Jumba, Nani, Yuki, Angus, Pluto
  • : 2011 winner2009 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
  • SAVE THE EARTH It's the only planet with chocolate
    • Professor
    • Wile_E_Coyote
    • Marcie
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2010, 07:01:02 PM »

There really haven't been too many problems with the PDK, just a couple of things like the random number generator which would be nice to have added to the PDK examples. I like the PDK, it is great for those with a bit of know how, but for your average joe like me, most of it is just gibberish :P I get by by a lot of help from those who know more than I do *cough* Getorix and Justbede *cough* and the examples and have managed to create some things but I would love to see Jetta bring out something like MySkit which is more user friendly for those who don't know how to code. But obviously something more advanced than MySkit. A combination of MySkit, DinoMITE and YAPT would be perfect lol if it is even possible.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2010, 07:02:41 PM by InmemoryofRomeo »
Eagerly awaiting Vector and Blue!

DragonGirl

• Outstanding in the herd
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2010, 09:59:51 PM »

I actually would like improved documentation.  What they have is what I would consider barely acceptable.
Assumes a lot of knowledge, I found it used terms before defining them, and bunch of other annoying stuff.

I rather enjoy reading good docs.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal