Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: TUTORIAL: How to make a Pleo battery pack for a third the cost of a real one  (Read 52787 times)

Pintokitkat

• Sugar cane harvester
  • Male
  • There's always time for tea

If I use the exact same pack and replace the batteries in there with the higher 2700 do I need to do anything special to get them to work? I would use the same thermistor that is in the original batter pack and run the same checks you mentioned in your pdf.
I agree with mweed - they should e fine with the existing charger.  They might take a little longer to fully charge, but taht's all.  I guess that's the cost of extra playtime!   ;D

kingdruid

• Conifer Leaf gatherer
    • The Lowrider Game

Here are my results.

The battery pack works, but I don't think the heat sensor is working correctly so I will probably put in the one to fool it and will probably also change the connectors on the batteries to something else other than the spring loaded ones.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2012, 08:51:32 PM by mweed »

gucci_boi7782

• Triassic pleo master
  • Male
  • : 2009 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
  • Go Vegetarian!

Hey!! Are you the one on Ebay re making the battery packs?
Save a life, go vegetarian.

www.goveg.com/factoryFarming.asp

Sophie-(Ugobe)
Eliot-(Innvo Labs)
Peanut-(Aibo ERS 31L)

"Tell me, will I dream while I am turned off?" ~Jules (Hanson Robotics)

kingdruid

• Conifer Leaf gatherer
    • The Lowrider Game

No I think I just used the same battery packs as the other guy.

Pintokitkat

• Sugar cane harvester
  • Male

For the soldering averse, there's this:
http://www.amazon.com/JVCC-CFL-5CA-Copper-Conductive-Adhesive/dp/B000UZ8SJK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1256971793&sr=8-1
This looks brilliant.  I'll try and get some in the UK and give it a go.

I'll report back.

Pintokitkat

• Sugar cane harvester
  • Male

Well I got some sticky copper tape and a set of batteries and so far, this is looking like the battery solution to end all battery solutions!

I made a new pack for Little Jim in about ten minutes - no soldering, just three pieces of insulating tape, one bit of cardboard, a resistor, the copper tape and batteries..  It's currently (sorry about the pun) on charge and looking good.  I'll report again tomorrow after I've had chance to run it in Little Jim and if all goes well I'll do another tutorial.

This could be the end of 'official' battery packs for almost all Pleo owners. 
 ;)

Pintokitkat

• Sugar cane harvester
  • Male

Woah.  Cancel the marching band and put the corks back in the champagne.  It doesn't work - at least not at the moment.

There are a couple of problems I'm working on - one is that the tape sticks too well, so as it comes from the positive terminal of the battery, it can stick to the edge of the case of the same battery and short it out.  The second problem is that the tape conducts OK through the glue, perfectly through the copper, but not at all from the surface of the tape, so I can't use it to make a simple terminal for the free end of the thermistor.

Basically there's still some way to go before this is a fooloproof idea.

But I won't be defeated.  I'll be back.

8)

Pintokitkat

• Sugar cane harvester
  • Male

Ok, I've officially given up with the copper tape idea.  All my theories about the tape shorting out the cases of the batteries, not being conductive on the surface etc were all wrong.  The fact is, it simply doesn't work.

And that's what's so frustrating - it very nearly works.  It should, but it's just not reliable.  Voltages and resistances are there one minute and gone the next and as Pleo is so choosy about his power supply, persisting would simply drive me mad.

It was worth a shot and I'm happy to have given it a try, but in the end - nothing.

MikeDX

• Hatchling
  • Male

Just thought i'd say thanks for the tutorial. I have 3 pleos, all with pretty much dead batteries. I got some 3800mAh batteries and the thermistors - so am about to embark on the journey.

Going about things slightly differently though - since I have a 3d printer I am going to try to print the top and bottom plastic parts to make the new pack as much like the official pack as possible. Of course one option is with the battery pack that is stuffed I could gut that for spares.

Wish me luck!

Dénman

• Leaving the nest
  • Male

Hello someone

i ordered Ni-mh 2900 mAh battery's and follow the instructions of the battery tutorial but when
i place the battery pack in my charger it stays blinking........

PLEASE PLEASE HELP ME WHAT DID I DO WRONG
« Last Edit: December 11, 2012, 01:43:39 PM by Dénman »

kat

• Pleo Grand Master, 2nd epoch
  • au Female
  • Pleo(s): Kermit (Pink RB), Norbit (Green RB), Pickle(nude RB), Gumble, Minyon and Frankie
  • : 2013 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
    • Marvin_Martian
    • Kermit
    • Flying_Ace

Hey Denman,
Unfortunately I don't think the person who wrote the tutorial is still around on the forum.  I don't know of anyone on here who has repacked a pleo battery so I'm not sure if there is going to be anyone out there who can help.  In the other post you said that the battery is getting hot.  I am wondering if that might mean that there is an issue with your thermistor - maybe it isn't on quite right or there is an issue with the insulation?  I'm just guessing though as I have never done anything like this before.

InmemoryofRomeo

• Global Moderator
  • Pleo Grand Master RB
  • au Female
  • Pleo(s): Lilo, Stitch, Pleakley, Jumba, Nani, Yuki, Angus, Pluto
  • : 2011 winner2009 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
  • SAVE THE EARTH It's the only planet with chocolate
    • Professor
    • Wile_E_Coyote
    • Marcie

As Kat said, no one here that wrote that is still here. If you can post pictures that might help, but redoing a battery is a very much 'do at your own risk' kind of thing.
Eagerly awaiting Vector and Blue!

Dénman

• Leaving the nest
  • Male

yeah i know that my battery is the problem but i replaced my original battery whit normal Duracell battery's and my Pleo started to work
so i ordered rechargeable battery's and now it wont work i will buy a new thermostat en try again.

kat

• Pleo Grand Master, 2nd epoch
  • au Female
  • Pleo(s): Kermit (Pink RB), Norbit (Green RB), Pickle(nude RB), Gumble, Minyon and Frankie
  • : 2013 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
    • Marvin_Martian
    • Kermit
    • Flying_Ace

Best of luck.  :)  I hope you manage to work it out.  Let us know how you get on. 

Crewella

• Pleo Grand Master RB
  • gb Female
  • Pleo(s): Iggy, Budge, Moschops, Monty, Emmy. Belle, Zillah, Tribble
  • : 2010 winnerTomat Harvest Festivals
    • Ginger
    • Pepe_Le_Pew
    • Animal
    • Flying_Ace

I can't help, I'm afraid ....... but hang on - there are people who probably can but log in less often these days.  :pray:

Jamie Clay

• Following the footsteps
  • Male

Does anyone have the instructions PDF anymore? It's no longer attached to the original posting.

Thanks.

grumpy

• Administrator
  • Pleosmith
  • we Male
  • : 2008 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
    • Skipper
    • Wile_E_Coyote
    • Statler
    • Lucy
    • Bob the Pleo

Attachments restored.  Try the link again, it should work now. 

Sorry about that.  just a small glitch left over from the upgrades.   :-[

Jamie Clay

• Following the footsteps
  • Male

Thanks !  Much appreciated!!!

peo

• Hatchling
  • us

Download doesn't work again - 404

kajigoro

• Hatchling
  • jp Male
  • Pleo(s): Gaogao.etc.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2020, 02:44:58 PM by kajigoro »

RangerForPleo

• Hatchling
  • de

Hello,

can someone here give me the download file? there is just an error page 404 :(

would be great if someone here could give me the file!

Thanks a lot!

Florian

pnhicks

Hi Florian,

There is one design on thingiverse by a member Pintokitkat.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:31721

He has since moved on to other projects (I believe).

Now AdamE has sort of adopted the battery making thing.  Take a look at his stuff on ebay and his reply on this post:

Test Ugobe Pleo With No Working Battery? (bobthepleo.com)

Cheers!

Peter

pnhicks

Hello All,

The attachment link for Pintokitkat's original design is now functioning again!

Cheers!

Peter
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal