Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Pleo New Owner 2020  (Read 3610 times)

Boxwoodhedges

• Hatchling
  • us Female
  • Pleo(s): Glowy
Pleo New Owner 2020
« on: June 15, 2020, 06:33:09 PM »

Our family just got a Pleo and named it Glowy! I have so many questions:

1) Is there programming that runs on Mac and how can I get it?
2) Does Pleo sing by exposing him to any music?
3) What surface is best for Pleo yo walk. My Pleo does not actually walk. It’s more like flexing his ankles until he slightly shifts position.

P>:(

pnhicks

Re: Pleo New Owner 2020
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2020, 11:39:51 AM »

Hi BWH,

I noticed that the number of replies were not overwhelming so I thought "what the heck!"

Sooner or later the older and wiser members will show up again and you will get replies from true users and lovers of the species, not just hardware hackers like myself.

The Pleo Development Kit (PDK) has both windows and Mac flavors.  Now the numbers of people that have successfully developed something with that kit.....

I believe that PleoPet (my idol) stated it the best, its just not an ideal platform to develop on/for. 

That's not to say that there aren't other projects out there (just google) Pleopatra, myPleo, etc,

Then there are the high level skit generators like YAPT and MySkit all on this forum surprisingly enough!  I would go through the skit documentation first before attempting any development work!

Depending on his or her or its OS, Pleo will howl or make a song (Humpphg) based on mood, I not aware of any aural stimulation that will set that off, but I am wrong more than half of the time ;D !

There may be an OS that when Pleos meet face to face the IR beacon sets off some sort of "glad to meet you noise" ritual.

You have an infant Pleo, incredible, I have only see model with millions of miles on them and in decrepit old age, but then again apparently the POP (point of purchase) demo software performs a reset of sorts.

Walking surfaces, hum, I would suggest avoiding dirt, mud, and water, basically indoors is good.  Floors are good, Ceilings and walls are right out!  Deep pile carpet might be a challenge (do they still make that?).  Trial and error is good, if you see that Pleo is struggling to progress, transport to a different surface!

Little by little you will see the first timid steps (perhaps backwards). Don't be discouraged and please don't compare the progress of your Pleo to other Pleo's in your neighborhood.  Don't be the typical parent that gloats, "by two battery cycles my Pleo was walking around the house by himself!" 

I'm sure I've made myself useless, so just let me know when I can do it again!

Cheers!

Peter

« Last Edit: June 16, 2020, 11:41:56 AM by pnhicks »

Pleo Power

• Pleosmith
  • 00 Male
  • Pleo(s): Cammey, Cloey, Copper
  • : Tomato Harvest Festivals
Re: Pleo New Owner 2020
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2020, 03:51:36 PM »

Yeah, they start off as a newborn, and over time ( a few battery cycles ) will learn to walk and begin to explore. They can detect edges of tables, but it’s still best to keep an eye on them. Solid floors and tables are best, they can walk on carpet, but may have difficulty if it’s too thick.

As far as I’m aware, they don’t sing to music. But will sing on their own at times. Petting under their chin will also make them begin to sing  :) ...They can play pre-made skits, if one is put on an SD card ( though they require card with at least 32MB, but preferably under 1 GB. ) which will play a song and animation, making it look like they’re singing/dancing. The forum has a few skits in the download section. It’s been like 10 years since I ran one, so I don’t remember if there’s more to it.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal