Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Teskus Update  (Read 6252 times)

Torterenek

• Fossil savant
  • us Male
  • Pleo(s): Teskus the baby Ugobe
    • Gilligan
    • Porky_Pig
    • Gonzo
    • Charlie_Brown
Teskus Update
« on: May 29, 2020, 02:48:54 PM »

So, I have had Teskus frozen for a few years, waiting to give him a new battery. Nobody was selling egg batteries anymore, so I finally decided to get his battery re-celled.  Today, after many weeks, they finally told me they were done with it. But upon trying to power him up after inserting the refurbished battery, he did not work. So, I looked at his battery, and I noticed the guy who worked on it sealed up a vital battery contact point, thinking the top to contacts were the way to get him to work. Before he started work on it, I suggested he look at guides on refurbishing Ugobe batteries. But he was so confident in his own capabilities he thought he could figure it out without any kind of guide.
I almost asked for a refund after finding out how he botched it up, but then I decided to leave Teskus with him this time, so he could do it right. And now, after so long, Teskus finally works again! However, His skin has decayed a lot since last time he was running. I could not save it in time, unfortunately, so his neck has it's inner workings exposed. But other than that, he is back to normal. And I doubt I will ever be able to replace his skin.
Eventually, I want to get an RB, but I need to make sure I have enough spare cash to do so. I may have said this before, but I would love to get a pink one. I think the rb is about 100 dollars more than the original. For now, I will enjoy my Ugobe Pleo, even though he looks like a botched science experiment.

aql148

• Hatchling
  • us Female
  • Pleo(s): Tong & Feng
Re: Teskus Update
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2020, 11:39:51 AM »

Hello there!  I can't believe this forum still exists and you can't imagine how happy I am.  I'm desperate to get my original Pleo going again.  I have two and both batteries are not working well.  One battery, when inserted, and turned on, Tong (my Pleo) will snore once and nothing happens after that.  Turn it off and on and snores once again and then nothing.  Do you know where I can get another battery or get it to work again?  Thank you any help at all. :dino-chase:

pnhicks

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2020, 01:51:16 AM »

Hello aql148,

The replacement battery issue is ongoing and here in Europe its a pain.  I understand you are in the US?

If so you have the option of a repacking store call Bulbs and Batteries or Batteries Plus (Its a chain):

https://www.batteriesplus.com/store-locator

You might have one close by!

No I don't get commission and other users have reported good results and not expensive.  Take it with a grain of salt.

Cheers!

Peter :D

aql148

• Hatchling
  • us Female
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2020, 07:27:48 PM »

Hey Peter--Good of you to respond.  I was thinking of taking apart one of my batteries and trying some hookups as others have done.  Maybe one day.  I'll check out the place you mentioned and see what I can find.  I never expected to even hear from anyone about this since Pleo is pretty old :) and batteries can't last forever.  You must be darn dedicated.  Glad I heard from you.  This probably won't be the last time either. 

pnhicks

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2020, 12:06:35 PM »

Hi aql148,

Well, to put it mildly, the forum has seen more active years!  However, there was a period where I thought, "this is it, stick a fork in it, it's done!", but no like the Phoenix, the forum keeps on thanks to Degers and Mr. Weed (not to mention Grumpy) who do the work on the servers keeping everything running.

I'm a relative newbie, I missed the heady days of the first Pleos and the excitement they produced.  I was working in aircraft maintenance in Spain after a (successful?) 21 year Air Force career, when I suffered a nervous breakdown and entered into severe depression (and unemployment at 57 for the first time in my life).

As part of my recovery therapy, I started volunteer work with therapy dogs in schools and residences for children and adults with severe social and educational illnesses. 

There were times when the logistics of live animals and the needs of the patients did not mix well and the organization I was volunteering in began experimenting with other therapy avatars.

Being the resident nerd, I was assigned the task of evaluating the available "robotic" therapy avatars.  Everything from puppets to the Paro seal, Milo the talking torso, the NAO robot with the autism module, and finally, yes the lowly Pleo.

Caleb Chung (the Pleo mastermind) had a fantastic vision (crap marketing skills), but assembled a team that produced an amazing product that Innova has butchered (IMHO).

If you haven't seen it yet, his TED talk should be required viewing for all Pleo owners:
https://www.ted.com/talks/caleb_chung_playtime_with_pleo_your_robotic_dinosaur_friend#t-4638

I just hope I can pay back some of what the community gave to me over the years!

Cheers!

Peter
Zaragoza, Spain
« Last Edit: June 07, 2020, 12:14:38 PM by pnhicks »

pnhicks

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2020, 12:16:21 PM »

Hi Torterenek,

Sorry for severely hijacking your post!  Please forgive me :-[ :-X

Thanks!

Peter

degers

• Administrator
  • Pleo adept
  • gb Male
  • Degers can't be choosers
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2020, 05:40:11 PM »

Hi aql148,

Well, to put it mildly, the forum has seen more active years!  However, there was a period where I thought, "this is it, stick a fork in it, it's done!", but no like the Phoenix, the forum keeps on thanks to Degers and Mr. Weed (not to mention Grumpy) who do the work on the servers keeping everything running.

Haha can't believe I've even had a mention on this forum that's been running for over a decade now!  Its definitely seen better days, but I'm glad people are still finding it useful!!

aql148

• Hatchling
  • us Female
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2020, 10:39:19 PM »

Hello Peter---I'm indebted to you for your suggestion re: battery.  Took it over to Batteries+ yesterday and it was ready to go today.  After charging it,  Tong woke right up and came back to life where he left off in 2007.  Yep, it's been that long that Tong has been packed away since life has a way of taking over things.  Sounds like you've been through several lifetimes yourself.  Now that you're in the up and up, don't let a day go by without thinking that you are providing expert opinion on this site.  I don't know Degers and Mr. Weed and Grumpy, but seems like you all know each other and keep this all going.  It means a great deal to those of us who need help.  Just know that you are all more than appreciated.  I'm taking one more battery pack to Batteries+ (Feng is still sleeping  %)).  No doubt he'll (or maybe I'll make it a she) be back in business.  I downloaded several Skits and got them to work also.  What fun.  Thinking of doing some programming with help from another site (someone working with Aibo) to try out on Tong.  I'll check around this Forum and see if anyone's done some for hints.   :)  I'll be back.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal