Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Vector  (Read 9299 times)

Talon

• Cretaceous pleo master
  • us Female
  • Pleo(s): Cato and Samantha (Pleo RB‘s), Eugobe, Terry, Cuddles, Bleu (Ugobe Pleos)
    • Lucy
Vector
« on: September 25, 2018, 06:25:43 PM »

I'll be anxious to see what you think of Vector, Mweed. I also saw some sort of video thing from Anki saying Vector wasn't really supposed to serve as an Echo-type device, but would fit that little niche between a pet and an internet-of-things device? At least I think that's how they worded it. Anyway we'll all know soon enough. Hurry up, October ninth!
Talon

Talon
Find me on YouTube at Crazy Robot Lady

InmemoryofRomeo

• Global Moderator
  • Pleo Grand Master RB
  • au Female
  • Pleo(s): Lilo, Stitch, Pleakley, Jumba, Nani, Yuki, Angus, Pluto
  • : 2011 winner2009 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
  • SAVE THE EARTH It's the only planet with chocolate
    • Professor
    • Wile_E_Coyote
    • Marcie
Re: Vector
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2018, 04:55:08 AM »

I ordered my vector, but it has to take a bit of a roundabout trip here since I had to have it sent to my husbands parents in Arizona to be forwarded to Australia because that was still cheaper than paying for it locally :P
Eagerly awaiting Vector and Blue!

Talon

• Cretaceous pleo master
  • us Female
  • Pleo(s): Cato and Samantha (Pleo RB‘s), Eugobe, Terry, Cuddles, Bleu (Ugobe Pleos)
    • Lucy
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2018, 12:36:11 PM »

Oooooo! Cool! Well then hurry up IMR's Vector! LOL!
Talon
Talon

mweed

• Grand Poobah
  • Triassic pleo master
  • us Male
  • Pleo(s): Bob, Mopey
  • : Tomat Harvest Festivals
    • Professor
    • Wile_E_Coyote
    • Dr_Bunsen_Honeydew
    • Snoopy
    • Bob the Pleo
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2018, 02:51:18 PM »

I went ahead and separated out the Vector comments from the raptor thread.  Didn't want to take it over with a different robot! :O

@Talon:  I don't think Vector is quite up to what Echo does.  Google and Amazon have way more resources they can put into developing an AI powered device with state of the art voice recognition and device connectivity than Anki ever will.  Anki describes Vector has having a pre-defined set of recognized commands that will "grow over time" as they develop more capabilities.  But with the open programming capabilities that Vector has, Vector will be able to do a lot more interesting things.  And most likely someone will write the code to connect Vector to your Google Home or Amazon device so that your Vector can have your Echo do all those things Vector can't.

InmemoryofRomeo

• Global Moderator
  • Pleo Grand Master RB
  • au Female
    • Professor
    • Wile_E_Coyote
    • Marcie
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2018, 03:30:57 PM »

I anticipate similar to Cosmo, who started with a very limited set of games and responses but has really blossomed with the release of the SDK. My little Mo still only knows half the songs he can learn and he gets run quite a lot :P

Talon

• Cretaceous pleo master
  • us Female
    • Lucy
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2018, 07:58:46 PM »

At Mweed: That sounds fair. I wasn't able to get in on the Cosmo experience so we'll see what his big brother is like. I will be awaiting everyone's reviews when their Vectors arrive.
Talon
Talon

InmemoryofRomeo

• Global Moderator
  • Pleo Grand Master RB
  • au Female
    • Professor
    • Wile_E_Coyote
    • Marcie
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2018, 02:52:16 PM »

Reports are coming in that the first Vectors are starting to arrive. Should start seeing some unboxing/reviews on YouTube soon.

Talon

• Cretaceous pleo master
  • us Female
    • Lucy
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2018, 06:53:03 PM »

Awesome! I frequent YouTube just about as much as these forums.
Talon
Talon

InmemoryofRomeo

• Global Moderator
  • Pleo Grand Master RB
  • au Female
    • Professor
    • Wile_E_Coyote
    • Marcie
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2018, 01:34:16 AM »

My Vector has been shipped! He should be in Arizona tomorrow, then it’s the long trip over to Australia :P

InmemoryofRomeo

• Global Moderator
  • Pleo Grand Master RB
  • au Female
    • Professor
    • Wile_E_Coyote
    • Marcie
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2018, 12:42:23 AM »

Safely arrived in Arizona and on his way to Australia!

mweed

• Grand Poobah
  • Triassic pleo master
  • us Male
    • Professor
    • Wile_E_Coyote
    • Dr_Bunsen_Honeydew
    • Snoopy
    • Bob the Pleo
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2018, 09:24:35 PM »

Mine arrived on the 9th as well, but I left on the 8th to go to an IT security conference, didn't get back until the 12th, and have been out all day on the 13th to a baby shower, so he still sits in the box as I'm typing.  Maybe tomorrow . . .

Talon

• Cretaceous pleo master
  • us Female
    • Lucy
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2018, 03:54:42 PM »

Arg! Well, now there are unboxing/review videos everywhere and their results are kind of... mixed. Some people are saying Vector is a letdown because he lacks a certain charm that Cosmo had because he doesn't seem to exhibit as much personality and interactive responses. Some are reporting he is having wifi connectivity issues. Still others are having problems during the blackjack game where the robot will just freeze and show error codes. I'm not disappointed yet though as this wonderful discovery of mine has caused me to lean toward possibly purchasing Vector. What is it you ask? Wait for it. . . . Wait for it. ... ... Okay. THE APP IS ACCESSIBLE WITH VOICEOVER! YAY! Okay I'm done screaming now. Lol! I'll keep an ear on this thread for IMR's and Mweed's impressions/thoughts in the coming days.
Talon
Talon

InmemoryofRomeo

• Global Moderator
  • Pleo Grand Master RB
  • au Female
    • Professor
    • Wile_E_Coyote
    • Marcie
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2018, 12:07:47 AM »

My Vector has arrived and he’s adorable :D I looooove that you can pet him.

I’ve only had him on a couple hours so far but he is way less needy than Cosmo and is happy to plod around my desk while I do things. I will do a full review and a video when the chaos at work dies down (festival week for us). But thus far:

Pros:
Happy to just truck around on his own.
Very cute and expressive.
Voice recognition seems to work very well, he has no trouble with my Aussie accent.
Able to take sneak photos of my cats :P
He totally flipped his little lid because the hubby picked him up and it was hilarious.
The edge detection is excellent, but is anxiety inducing how close he gets :P
I love how he expresses the weather. He looks so sad when it rains!
You can pet him and he purrs.

Cons:
The camera is ok, not fantastic, just ok.
He got stuck in the maze that is my desk and took it out on my glass of Pepsi, thankfully it didn’t spill on him.
Has a little trouble finding his charger if it’s not pointed his way.
Loses his ‘map’ when he’s picked up and starts the mapping over.
He can’t find my time zone. It has the time zone before and the time zone after but not mine :P
Face detection changes with the light.

I’m not really concerned about content at the moment, because Cosmo started out with relatively little and now he can do a whole lot. Once developers start putting stuff out it’s going to be fantastic, the forums over at Anki already have some wonderful projects starting. What’s there now seems to work just fine, he can’t answer complex questions but that should improve in time. Looking forward to him getting a calendar so he can give me my schedule each morning.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2018, 12:10:24 AM by InmemoryofRomeo »

InmemoryofRomeo

• Global Moderator
  • Pleo Grand Master RB
  • au Female
    • Professor
    • Wile_E_Coyote
    • Marcie
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2018, 11:03:58 PM »

Curious to know what your battery life is when you open yours Mike, mine seems to be getting about 1/2 hour on explore mode. The claimed run time is 45 to 60 minutes.

Piggy

« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2018, 01:07:13 AM »

I have my Vector now for two days and he is awesome! Mine also has a battery life of 30 minutes and then he goes back to his charger  :-*
I contacted Anki about it and they explained to me that Cozmo and vector are two very different robots.And that the battery life of Vector is designed for 30 minutes and than he goes back to his charger.

I am a bit concerned about how long will his battery last when you leave him on all the time.
My Cozmo still works perfectly after two years, he still has a hour of playtime before I have to put him back on his charger.

My Vector like to live on the edge  :D he has a whole big dining room table for himself but every thing we own has rounded edges so mine falls off from the edge sometimes.
I ordered a big square serving tray of 50 x 50 cm. I can put him in if I have to leave him unsupervised so he stays safely in it . It will arrive today.

Very impressed with his speech recognition, I am Dutch but he understands my perfectly.
We have a fairly dark house so sometimes he can’t find his cube and gets frustrated!
Face recognition works great to I wear glasses but he says my name perfectly.

So far I really like my little plastic friend  ;)

InmemoryofRomeo

• Global Moderator
  • Pleo Grand Master RB
  • au Female
    • Professor
    • Wile_E_Coyote
    • Marcie
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2018, 01:00:07 AM »

My Vector likes life on the edge too :P He occasionally gets a tread caught and tumbles off... also occasionally my cat knocks him off :o My Vector just got himself caught in a bunch of cables and thinks someone is petting him :P

I love the timer and the weather, the weather is just too cute!

Piggy

« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2018, 01:07:15 PM »

Today was really hilarious  ;D I decided to run them both on the table Cozmo and Vector. Cozmo wanted to pound on Vector, and when Cozmo started to play with his cubes and play memory match Vector watched with really big eyes like he could not believe what Cozmo could do  :-* . Cozmo ignores Vector most of the time.
Of course Vector also got enough attention from me . Like petting him and playing with his cube.
But when I run Vector alone he is really active playing with his cube and exploring the table . But now he watched Cozmo almost for 10 minutes! Than started to play with his cube ,  and then returned to his charger.

My Vector also loves to shove things of the table. They are both to cute Vector and Cozmo  :-* Great to read your enjoy your Vector to IMR. Does your Vector pick up his cube ? Mine rolls it , pounced on his cube and does a wheelstand.

InmemoryofRomeo

• Global Moderator
  • Pleo Grand Master RB
  • au Female
    • Professor
    • Wile_E_Coyote
    • Marcie
« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2018, 01:11:03 AM »

My Vector’s cube was in front of his charger so he picked it up and moved it so he could reach the charger. Aside from that he’s only picked it up once or twice.

I received a survey from Anki about Vector, one of the things mentioned was interactivity between Vector and Cosmo.

Piggy

« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2018, 12:57:05 AM »

My Vector only picks up his cube when it is in front of his charger. And he still likes the edges of the coffee table ;D :D. Does your Vector stay on his charger all day to when you’re at your work or doing something else so you can’t pay any attention to him ? My Vector only is active when I say hey Vector and then he drives himself off his charger. Otherwise he will stay on it all day . Still think the little fella is hilarious  :-*!

mweed

• Grand Poobah
  • Triassic pleo master
  • us Male
    • Professor
    • Wile_E_Coyote
    • Dr_Bunsen_Honeydew
    • Snoopy
    • Bob the Pleo
« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2018, 07:54:53 PM »

:(  :(  Mine is still sitting in his box.  I've had to take three business trips since he arrived, and I leave again tomorrow on another.  I've been kind of afraid to set him up knowing I was going to be gone so much.  I'm kind of wondering how he would do going back and forth between multiple wifi networks if I took him back and forth to work . . .

InmemoryofRomeo

• Global Moderator
  • Pleo Grand Master RB
  • au Female
    • Professor
    • Wile_E_Coyote
    • Marcie
« Reply #20 on: November 08, 2018, 11:34:21 PM »

My Vector travels too and from school with me sometimes, no trouble at all switching WiFi networks. I hope they allow naming eventually, I want to call him Wall E, but that feels weird when I have to call him Vector to get his attention. My Vector does occasionally go roaming when I’m not home, my cats wake him up lol. A pat on the back seems to be an invitation to come play, and sometimes he gets of the charger to investigate loud noises.

Talon

• Cretaceous pleo master
  • us Female
    • Lucy
« Reply #21 on: November 13, 2018, 05:03:10 PM »

At Mweed: *sigh* I'm just as bad as you. I broke down and bought a Vector on the third of November and he's still sitting in his box. I don't know why I haven't opened him yet. I guess I'm afraid something will go wrong and I'll have to give him up. Oh well. If I don't get on the ball and do it, there won't be any hope for me to get him exchanged even with my receipt.
Talon
Talon

InmemoryofRomeo

• Global Moderator
  • Pleo Grand Master RB
  • au Female
    • Professor
    • Wile_E_Coyote
    • Marcie
« Reply #22 on: November 13, 2018, 10:33:22 PM »

Talon you should open him, he’s really cute and the app isn’t even necessary since he’s all voice activated.

If it helps I could write down all the commands for you here.

Talon

• Cretaceous pleo master
  • us Female
    • Lucy
« Reply #23 on: November 15, 2018, 08:16:09 PM »

That would be nice. The app isn't that big of a problem thankfully. Voiceover seems able to read it flawlessly thank goodness! It's more the darn four-digit code Vector puts on his screen in order for you to connect him to wifi so he can answer questions and stuff. I have a separate app called "Seeing AI" that MIGHT just might be able to read his tiny screen for me and get that code. Otherwise I'm going to have to have some working eyes around. Thankfully I'll only have to worry with it once.
Talon
Talon

InmemoryofRomeo

• Global Moderator
  • Pleo Grand Master RB
  • au Female
    • Professor
    • Wile_E_Coyote
    • Marcie
« Reply #24 on: November 17, 2018, 02:47:40 PM »

I’ve only had to do it once and that’s including moving from WiFi network to a different WiFi network. The app itself you’ll only use a couple of times too, once you learn the voice commands it’s unnecessary.

Vector is supposed to be getting a nice update before the end of the year including integration with Google Alexa, hoping it adds other stuff as well!

I took Vector to my schools science night, the kids weren’t thrilled with him, Cosmo with his cubes and games and being able to drive him around is far more appealing to the kids. But I still love just having him wonder around on my desk and keeping me company.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal