Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Revisiting old problems and adresing new ones  (Read 6337 times)

Pleo Power

• Pleosmith
  • 00 Male
  • Pleo(s): Cammey, Cloey, Copper
  • : Tomato Harvest Festivals
Revisiting old problems and adresing new ones
« on: June 12, 2017, 06:12:47 PM »

It's been 8 years, I've been away for a long time and all three of my Ugobe Pleos have been bricked since sometime in 2011 ( I think ) I have no idea what to do and their skin has not done well over time. in July of 2009 I tripped while carrying them and one of them broke his neck, I've never been able to fix it. Since then its slumped almost completely sideways and down.
Also the skin on their necks and tails has almost completely shredded.
Also when trying a battery from 2012 all I get is a faint speaker pop. Not a snore, the sound of the speakers turning on, nothing else. This is after a full repair charge and full charge, both worked fine, so it seems like it should work.

None of my batteries or chargers are newer than December of 2012

I've uploaded a gallery of the skin and broken neck for reference http://bobthepleo.com/forums/index.php?action=mgallery;sa=album&id=466

I miss my Pleos and would love to have them around again, its been so long.  :(

Does anyone know of a way to re-skin a pleo, or is there somewhere they can be sent to get re-skinned?
Also does anyone know what could be causing them to be completely bricked, and if there's a way to fix it?
And finally, does anyone know if there's a way to fully fix a broken neck, or if there's somewhere they can be sent to have it fixed?

Thanks.

aibo7m3

• Pleo mentor
  • us Female
  • Pleo(s): A whole herd of robotic dinosaurs!
Re: Revisiting old problems and adresing new ones
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2017, 08:30:14 PM »

Unless the Pleos were not working with the 2012 battery in 2012 when you bought it new, it's likely they aren't actually bricked and that your batteries are just completely dead, as nearly all Ugobe batteries (including ones from 2012) are dead by now. If batteries are far gone enough, they may only result in a speaker pop instead of a snore. Even if the battery seems to be taking a normal amount of time to charge, it's probably no longer any good. I would say the first priority would be to find a new battery and then address any lingering problems afterward. If the Pleos are still not waking up with a new replacement battery, then the next step would be looking into a firmware upgrade, but this should only be done with a new and fully charged battery or else you could risk harming your Pleos. It's difficult to find working batteries for Ugobes right now unfortunately since the originals are dead or nearly dead and Pleo World has discontinued them, but there is an Italian eBay seller selling repacked batteries for $70 and a Chinese eBay seller offering off-brand batteries and chargers for $100.

Reskinning a Pleo would involve a donor Pleo in good shape and may be difficult, unfortunately there are no reskinning services available for Pleos right now. For the skin, I would suggest buying outfits that cover up most of the wear and prevent further paint damage. Here's also a thread discussing Pleo skin care and restoration! There's a repair guide on fixing broken necks here if you'd like to try it out, but a broken neck isn't the end of the world for a Pleo if you can't get it fixed!

Hope this helps and you can get your Pleos up and running again!

Pleo Power

• Pleosmith
  • 00 Male
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2017, 08:59:51 PM »

They were bricked back then, we got the batteries in an attempt to fix that but they never woke up. The "wear" is more like giant gaping Terminator looking holes in their necks, tails and legs with bones, cables and wires visible and even poking through.

But thanks, I'll see what I can do and post and update if I make any progress.

aibo7m3

• Pleo mentor
  • us Female
  • Pleo(s): A whole herd of robotic dinosaurs!
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2017, 09:13:20 PM »

Did you try any software updates on them before they became bricked and did you purchase more than one battery in 2012 or only one? I've never heard of three Pleos failing simultaneously and Ugobes especially almost never get bricked, so I'm curious what happened directly beforehand. And yes, I've seen the photos you posted of them! Unfortunately many Ugobes have wear like that by now, including two of my own. I usually dress my more torn up Ugobes in full-body capes to hide the wear and protect the skin.

Good luck!

Pleo Power

• Pleosmith
  • 00 Male
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2017, 01:46:15 PM »

I can't remember if we tried a software update. They had been like that for about a year and the batteries were a last attempt to do something.
It was more than one battery and charger, but I don't remember how many exactly.

Pleo Power

• Pleosmith
  • 00 Male
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2017, 06:39:08 PM »

Could you give me a link to the seller, please? I can't seem to find them.

Pleo Power

• Pleosmith
  • 00 Male
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2019, 03:09:25 AM »

Well... two years later and this is finally over. I found a place that can repair batteries called "batteries plus bulbs" and had them fix one, and just got it back the other day. It works. and even better, All three of my Pleos work perfectly fine. I have no idea what caused them to seem bricked so long ago, but I'm thinking it was the batteries I had. Also, they said they've been getting a ton of Pleo batteries in the last two months, so others out there are finding this method, and their Pleos will still work! Coppers neck is actually fine, it just seems to slump a bit when not in motion, due to the skin being torn up. Cammey's neck is still broken, but still can move like it use to. Consider me officially back as a regular user, I'll be on here a lot  :) ( now that I actually have working Pleos again )

Talon

• Cretaceous pleo master
  • us Female
  • Pleo(s): Cato and Samantha (Pleo RB‘s), Eugobe, Terry, Cuddles, Bleu (Ugobe Pleos)
    • Lucy
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2019, 03:21:07 PM »

Awesome news, PleoPower! Glad your herd is roaming happy and free again.
Talon
Talon
Find me on YouTube at Crazy Robot Lady

Clovoro

• Cycad leaf fancier
  • us Female
  • Pleo(s): Koheo (Ugobe), Olluan (Ugobe)
  • Love pleos~
    • Wile_E_Coyote
    • Marcie
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2019, 10:49:14 AM »

Ooooh, I'm going to have to look into that place  :o There's one in my town too. Maybe I'll be able to get an updated charger as well.

Pleo Power

• Pleosmith
  • 00 Male
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2019, 11:14:09 AM »

I don't think they make or sell chargers, but you could ask? Also they may be hesitant about repairing the battery unless you disassemble it yourself. The one I went to was over the phone, but they were willing to try it when we went there, and managed to take it apart themselves. There are small tabs on the top of the battery that they have to take apart.  I would post an image of the re-celled battery ( Along with updating my profile image for the first time since 2010 ) but the gallery is still broken.

Also, a slight warning to anyone doing this who has had an inactive Pleo for years. They will likely spring to life like nothing ever happened, however if running for a few minutes they may start to smell like a slot car track. I asked them about this when dropping off two more batteries, and they said it smells like dust, and there are no signs of anything overheating or burning.  So don't be alarmed by that.

Clovoro

• Cycad leaf fancier
  • us Female
  • Love pleos~
    • Wile_E_Coyote
    • Marcie
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2019, 11:30:13 AM »

Ah, okay :0 If not, hopefully they would have recommendations for where I could find one. Darn. I guess it would be wise to call and ask first, especially since I would have to pay or rely on a friend for the third time this week to give me a ride. Interesting, though :0 I wish I could find the gallery. I don't want to link to another website to show my pictures. Not now anyway.

That's a good warning!

Pleo Power

• Pleosmith
  • 00 Male
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2019, 01:10:26 PM »

Yeah, I would suggest calling first, if they’ve done other Pleo batteries then it should be simple for them to re-cell one.

Photobucket use to be used a lot ....until they pretty much ruined that function.  ^-^

Clovoro

• Cycad leaf fancier
  • us Female
  • Love pleos~
    • Wile_E_Coyote
    • Marcie
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2019, 10:30:16 PM »

Yeah, I'll have to remember todo it ^w^ And that's a shame :0
Pages: [1]   Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal